[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Thanks guys. I've been using the DW GM screen, which has a list of weapon special qualities. In it, Accurate simply says, "additional +10 to hit when used with an aim action." - It doesn't say anything about the degrees of success, which it does on p.142 of the rulebook. Ugh! 

A.T. - It helps me if I understand your total to hit; I am still somewhat unsure how you'd gotten up to 4DOS, as you only used a half action of aiming rather than a full one. I've shown below how I'm going to be listing Atratus's shot in my next post:

ATRATUS: 
Aim and Standard Attack with Ultra-Pattern Rifle against Tyranid Warrior 4 (~160m, no range bonus) 
BS: 42(+10, Accurate, +10 Aim) (25, HIT - 3DOS) 
Damage: 1D10+4(+1D10 for 2DOS) = 8+5+4 (17)  (Pen 2+5) (Felling, removes 1 level of Unnatural Toughness)
Tyranid Warrior has TB10(5) and Armour 8(1) 
Damage is reduced from 16 to 11.
Edited by Commissar Molotov

A.T. - It helps me if I understand your total to hit; I am still somewhat unsure how you'd gotten up to 4DOS, as you only used a half action of aiming rather than a full one. I've shown below how I'm going to be listing Atratus's shot in my next post:

Tyranid warriors are enormous targets. Everyone gets +20 to hit them.

edit - as others have said it's an extra 1d10 damage for every 2 DoS, to a maximum of +2d10

Against tyranid warriors with a single aim and accurate, his target number is 82. So a roll of 42 or less gets full damage.

Once they close to 125m he'll get another +10 to hit for range

(discounting range bonuses for the raptors solo mode as I guess i'm Akkads second for squadmode)

Edited by A.T.

Okay, long long update up but most of you just need to scroll down to the bottom for the map and the update on characters. It's really interesting how narratives crop up that I never planned - the Commissar rallying the guardsmen into a ragged firing line, or Greysight somehow managing to double-tap the Tyranid Warrior for half of his wounds down a corridor filled with fighting! For Nineswords to roll TWO RIGHTEOUS FURIES?! 

Maybe I'm making things too easy! Horde of Carnifexes incoming! 

I will add the precision that Accurate adds 1d10 per 2 DoS up to a maximum of 2d10 extra damage.

Thanks Slips, between us all do you think we might be able to write a second edition that's easier to remember? :biggrin.:

Thanks guys. I've been using the DW GM screen, which has a list of weapon special qualities. In it, Accurate simply says, "additional +10 to hit when used with an aim action." - It doesn't say anything about the degrees of success, which it does on p.142 of the rulebook. Ugh! 

The GM screen is notorious for being completely off - really it's designed only for the basic adventure it comes with and the scatter chart, nothing more (apart from hiding your GM rolls at a table).

Nooooooooooooooo...! :eek:

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Well, you took out about a third of the horde, so... 

I haven't resolved A.T.'s latest shot yet. I am waiting for Tyber and Vaidan, which means I probably won't update again this weekend. 

As before, feel free to allocate your actions even if they aren't in order and I will resolve at the next juncture. 

Thank you all for helping this fight move promptly! 

Can I have a Thunderhammer first? Only way I'd survive against one of them is a Thunderhammer.... not that I could one-shot them, but more that I could stun-lock them, thanks to concussive...

CM, I'll see what I can swing this weekend, but really it is a toss up between trying to activate fly on my jump pack and move 70-ish meters or attacking the horde with bolt pistol and making as much headway towards them...

Edited by Steel Company

You may not have seen that Nineswords is starting fill in his placeholder posts, but post #346 is worth a read!

http://http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344357-kill-team-blackthorn-the-battle-for-the-dorsal-spine/?p=5111008

Edited by Commissar Molotov

You may not have seen that Nineswords is starting fill in his placeholder posts, but post #346 is worth a read!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344357-kill-team-blackthorn-the-battle-for-the-dorsal-spine/?p=5111008

Thanks Mol! Been spending the afternoon moving up to speed. Can't wait to write about 'the shot' that Mol and I resolved over the last couple of days over Messenger. Gotta love those Hellfire rounds.

I'll have something up in a couple of hours from now... sorry for the delay.

Always busy weekends here with a five year old and a three-nager (three year old girl, that acts like a teenager)....

Edit:

Up now, Tyber is trying his hand at trying to be a squad commander....

Edited by Steel Company

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344357-kill-team-blackthorn-the-battle-for-the-dorsal-spine/?p=5111008

Thanks Mol! Been spending the afternoon moving up to speed. Can't wait to write about 'the shot' that Mol and I resolved over the last couple of days over Messenger. Gotta love those Hellfire rounds.

Great stuff Nine. :thumbsup:

I foresee Tyber getting beaten up by two tyranid warriors in the near future...

What happens, is what happens... :rolleyes:

You realise this is how TPK's start right?

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I've been looking at various combinations of actions for Varvost - am I right that 'Swift Attack' cannot be combined with a charge action? So they have to charge, and then do a Swift Attack in their next action? 

Correct.

Charge and Swift Attack are both Full Actions.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I've been looking at various combinations of actions for Varvost - am I right that 'Swift Attack' cannot be combined with a charge action? So they have to charge, and then do a Swift Attack in their next action? 

From my understanding, yup...

It makes charging into combat a very, very dicey thing to do... Unless you can swing a way to get a full attack on the charge... There is a way to do it, but I just can't recall it off the top of my head right now.

EDIT:

Found it!

Preternatural Speed (Pg. 124 Core Rule Deathwatch)

WS 40 AG 50

"The character may use Swift Attack and Lighting Attack as a Half Action rather than a Full Action. In addition, the character may use the Swift Attack and Lightning Attack Talents during a Charge."

Rank 8 Assault Marine Advance though....:dry.:

Edited by Steel Company

Great stuff all around!

I have been delayed a bit by unforeseen circumstances. We had some bad weather yesterday and it nearly dropped a tree on our house. Luckily, it just went as far as the front door but I am still typing stuff up after basically power sawing myself a way back to the street. And a servo arm would have been much appreciated! Helps setting the mood for using chai blades though!

If it helps moving things along, consider Sabaan using his action to shoot the nearest enemy on full auto to either clear the rest of the horde or delay the nearest warrior.

Unless Akkad runs out of marmalade and gets back to jam. Then it's a half action to unjam another half action to slap him to his senses!

Great stuff all around!

I have been delayed a bit by unforeseen circumstances. We had some bad weather yesterday and it nearly dropped a tree on our house. Luckily, it just went as far as the front door but I am still typing stuff up after basically power sawing myself a way back to the street. And a servo arm would have been much appreciated! Helps setting the mood for using chai blades though!

If it helps moving things along, consider Sabaan using his action to shoot the nearest enemy on full auto to either clear the rest of the horde or delay the nearest warrior.

Unless Akkad runs out of marmalade and gets back to jam. Then it's a half action to unjam another half action to slap him to his senses!

This post is glorious.  I salute you.  Twice. :yes:

I also hope you/your house and home (family etc) are safe and well!

MR.