[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

I have Tactics: Void Combat if any help?  Or perhaps render an assist?

With Sabaan and the autopilot at the wheel I think that would be the better bet though!

Unless the other bods had anything?

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I was toying with the idea of a Techmarine Pilot when I was cooking up concepts ( with a SW Stormwolf pilot rather than power armoured tech priest e.g. ) but found it doesn't relate well into the DW ruleset.

But I gave Sabaan the Sevice with the fleet background, so he should at least have working knowledge of pre flight set up and be able to get the autopilot up... as in convince the pilot servitors to do their job and maybe make some Tech Use / Link up rolls to aid the autopilot in an unforeseen (combat) situation. If that is ok with our esteemed GM, I am going to work it in my next post.

Nice one Xin :)

Perhaps Dos could help, he's a voidwalker type so could help with co-ordinates, variables, plotting re-entry to provide a bonus to your tests?  We could pop him in the co-pilot seat as he's wounded and then I can go and hang out of the back door? (Solastion's approval first of course ;) )

MR.

I half expect our "interrogator" to already be in the shuttle...

If he is, and is unharmed, Tyber is going to be super suspicious of him...

Still we get the shuttle locked down, then I'll have Tyber make for the launch control room, to open the doors, then use his mag boots to run back to the craft so we can get outta here.

Xin, in principle your ideas sound good, but far more than should be accomplished in a single post - the Kill-Team should investigate the shuttle first!

No problem! I am just running some idea for flavor text and coming up with some 40k technobabble around the Procedees involved.

Since I am such a slow writer, I am usually scribbling some things up in advance so I can use them later on.

Xin, in principle your ideas sound good, but far more than should be accomplished in a single post - the Kill-Team should investigate the shuttle first!

No problem! I am just running some idea for flavor text and coming up with some 40k technobabble around the Procedees involved.

Since I am such a slow writer, I am usually scribbling some things up in advance so I can use them later on.

Nothing wrong with that Xin, I spend my drive into work, roughing out what Tyber is going to do, in my head, then put fingers to key strokes in word once I get to work while refining what I wanted Tyber to do.

Nothing wrong with that Xin, I spend my drive into work, roughing out what Tyber is going to do, in my head, then put fingers to key strokes in word once I get to work while refining what I wanted Tyber to do.

Me too - I spend all day thinking about how to bring awesome into my posts and sometimes make notes and sometimes I drift off visualising our heroic collaborative adventure!

This annoys my manager a lot, since I work in an Air Traffic Control Tower.

He just doesn't get the 40k thing I think.

MR.

Me too - I spend all day thinking about how to bring awesome into my posts and sometimes make notes and sometimes I drift off visualising our heroic collaborative adventure!

This annoys my manager a lot, since I work in an Air Traffic Control Tower.

He just doesn't get the 40k thing I think.

MR.

Woof, working in a ATCT, not a job I'd like... way too stressful most days...

Much happier working a nice big corner office with a nice big glass window over looking everyone else whom works for me....  way, way less stressful... now if only my kids would stop getting me up in the middle of the night...:dry.:

Updated my place holder on the running battle!

I tend to doodle ideas and sketches between appointments. There is no place like working at a hospital to enforce the idea that the Flesh is weak, indeed. ;)

I also learned that among most of my colleagues, there is regrettable little recognition for such antics. During Anatomy Classes, I had doodled the sketch of an MIU link / ServoSkull on my notes...my professor assumed it to be a reference to "Nuremberg's funnel" and encouraged me that I would get the stuff in my head the old fashioned way given time. I saw no point in disagreeing with him. :)

*Cue flashback to the end scene of Alien with Ripley in the escape pod*

For the record - I do not aspire to fight the xenos scum in my undies ;)

Out of interest, Mazer, are you using some sort of reference for the Badab vocabulary or are you just making it up as you go along?

For the record - I do not aspire to fight the xenos scum in my undies :wink:

Out of interest, Mazer, are you using some sort of reference for the Badab vocabulary or are you just making it up as you go along?

Sabaan fighting the xenos in his undies would entail lots of references to Optimus Prime fighting a dinosaur. :wink:

I've seen that somewhere! :smile.:

In answer to the vocab question: both.  I have done lots of research on the Astral Claws and the Badab War, which I think is a reference to the first Gulf War.  Babylonian, Sumerian, Greek dialects and I learned to count up to 5 in cuneiform.  We suffer for our art!

But some of it is eerie, for example I named the character in Sumerian as Dagon to start with.  I cut it to Daon in the way Black Library chop up names to be "near but not" thinking it to be fictional.  It wasn't.  When looking into Babylonian, I found the name and it means something totally different from the Sumerian counterpart, referring to a King.

Sarcophagus is Greek and literally means, stone that eats flesh

Ahu is Sumerian and does indeed mean Brother

Lugal is Babylonian/Akkadian (yes it's a dialect along with some Assyrian) that mean "Big Man", but Akkad will fill Tyber in on that later. ;)

MR.

Edit: Typed up the buzzwords for everyone.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Nice one. Gotta respect that sort of dedication!

I learned to speak Japanese (badly) to portray House Kurita ... which helped with WW Kindred of the East. And a long time ago, I could read and write Zentraedi. Good times.

Sadly, I have no idea what they are basing the Medusan words on in Eye of Medusa...

While I never figured the Astral Claws in line with Sumerian / Babylonian languages ( that was always Word Bearer territory for me ), I have to admit it is quite fitting for a Chapter who brings in a "Hamadrya" ;)

But admitting, I do like your choice and the words are pretty fitting :)

Speaking of the chapters Xin, I really like how some of them feel like they have evolved and changed over time, from my perspective, the Dark Angels have changed the most... They started off with a Native American vibe, but some where in the last 20/25 years took on a more Gothic Era feel with both their biblical naming conventions and the addition of robes and winged helms.... It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future with the chapters and how they could evolve over time.

@ Xin, you're too kind good sir.

And yes, shifty, shifty hamadryas...!

@ Steel, My first experience of the 1st Legion was the Deathwing expansion for Space Hulk back in the 90's.  Really liked the vibe - Weasel-Fierce, "the greatest warrior of our age" etc.  Very interesting shift.

MR.

@ Steel, My first experience of the 1st Legion was the Deathwing expansion for Space Hulk back in the 90's.  Really liked the vibe - Weasel-Fierce, "the greatest warrior of our age" etc.  Very interesting shift.

MR.

I got started with the First Legion at the tail end of 3rd edition, and they have been my go to legion since... never really latched on to another. I also loved how the Lion's motivations at the end of the Heresy were left ambiguous for the longest time, I felt it was very fitting... kind of sad that they went full loyalist and not loyal to the victor though...

Speaking of the chapters Xin, I really like how some of them feel like they have evolved and changed over time, from my perspective, the Dark Angels have changed the most... They started off with a Native American vibe, but some where in the last 20/25 years took on a more Gothic Era feel with both their biblical naming conventions and the addition of robes and winged helms.... It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future with the chapters and how they could evolve over time.

I have that short story still in a box somewhere, an anthology which also had the origin story to the Assassin characteristics Space Marine.

And it is indeed quite a stretch from there to the Templars in Space they are nowadays. Of course, robes and secret orders are much cooler, IMO :)

Nineswords / Steel Company: I see no problem with you describing clearing the shuttlecraft yourselves. You will find no evidence of Tyranid incursion. Xin, that will afford you the opportunity to explore the cockpit of the vessel. 

I will attempt to update on Saturday, circumstances permitting. 

Got distracted by headaches and establishing a precise list of the men and armour from my Black Templars Fighting Company under the command of Castellan Talib Metz. I gave each Space Marine two names and shall be naming the vehicles, too.

Still, managed to get a post up. Will try and keep up with the pace as summer continues. Thank you for your patience, folks. :tu: