New Codex, New Cryptek

NTaW

Mephrit CCB with a voltaic staff and the mephrit warlord traits, gives you 6 s6 shots with 2 or d3 damage at ap-3 (-4 of close enough). And it can shoot characters. I know few characters who can survive those shots.

Chronometron costs points? Ugh I thought it was built into cryptek

It only costs points so that it can be comparable with the canoptek cloak; a cryptek with chronometron is actually a point cheaper in the codex than in the index.

Cheaper than that as the staff of light also got cheaper by 8 points

WC just posted this, which confirms the wording for canoptek cloaks:

40kForgebaneFocus-Mar13-CanoptekCloak5k.

Ya saw this in the leaked codex on you tube.  It seems to be a good way to boost your chance on repairing your monolith or anything with living metal.  

I'm a old cron player and never really got into the huge shift over to the codex cron play style.  I still have a place in my heart for lots of warriors a monolith or two plus a small destroyer wing and a C'tan.  

Cryptek is slightly cheaper than before. Lychguard with shields are slightly cheaper. Immortals are unchanged and completely outclassed by Tomb Blades. Wraiths are stronger but much more costly.

Cryptek is slightly cheaper than before. Lychguard with shields are slightly cheaper. Immortals are unchanged and completely outclassed by Tomb Blades. Wraiths are stronger but much more costly.

thx but all in all, are they worth it? is the necron part of forgebane a good investment for a necron player? Can we build an army (not necessarily super competitive but not cheesy either) around those?

Wraiths are expensive but great and are Fast Attack, Immortals are a really beefy Troops choice alternately Deathmarks are Elites and OK but I'm not much a fan. Lychguard are great alternately Praetorians are also great, both are Elites. Floating Cryptek's rule only works on himself since none of the units in the box have the Living Metal rule but him.

Ultimately it gives you a Patrol Detachment unless you make Deathmarks, then it fails the minimum requirements for any of the existing Detachments. It's an OK start but it depends on what type of army you want to play.

Mephrit CCB with a voltaic staff and the mephrit warlord traits, gives you 6 s6 shots with 2 or d3 damage at ap-3 (-4 of close enough). And it can shoot characters. I know few characters who can survive those shots.

Unit builds:

With the Merciless Tyrant* WLT, they can do that at 18", 9" for the AP-4. That means no character is safe since you can Invasion Beam/Monolith around within at least 9" of enemies, sniping them out. "Talent for Annihilation" indeed...

WLT of Skin of Living Gold or Enduring Will + Relic of Nanoscarab Casket + Strategem of Resurrection Protocols = frustrated opponent. My Blood Angels can have Captain Smash who can slay almost anything....now my Necrons may have Phaeron Unkillable: not only is he hardy as heck, but when you do finally kill him....he can get back up....TWICE.

I like how much synergy Novokh builds can have:

• Big stabby unit of choice (Lychguard with Warscythes, anyone? S7 AP-4 D:2)
  • Anrakyr the Traveller for +1A and +1 To Hit via MWBD
  • Lord with The Blood Scythe (S+2 AP-4 D:2, +D3 attacks), to re-roll 1's To Wound
  • Enhanced Invasion Beams to warp in 2 units
  • Implacable Conqueror (re-roll Charges for units in 6") or Crimson Haze (exploding 6's in FIght for units in 6")
  • Disruption Fields for +1S if you like
  • Blood Rites Strategem to Fight a second time!

Strategems:

Self-Destruction may be my favorite. That is going to be deliciously annoying to opponents. "Oh, you didn't bother to shoot my cheap Scarabs? BOOM! Mortal Wound for you!"

Can Judgement of the Triarch be combined with MWBD to get +2 To Hit? would that mean they can't fail To Hit rolls? "Oh hi, cheesed-up Tau Stealth units. Sorry, I negate all of your bonuses. Bye."

Tons of synergy with Night Scythes, Monoliths, and Strategems like Enhanced Invasion Beams. I can see Monolith/Night Croissant spam becoming a go-to build for the hardcore.

Most universally useful Strategems, to my eye:

• Enhanced Reanimation Protocols 2CP: re-roll 1's for RP (duh)
  • Enhanced Invasion Beam 1CP (if you bring Monolith/Night Scythe)
  • Solar Pulse 1CP (ignore cover for a unit in the Shooting Phase....with almost every Necron weapon gettin some sort of AP, this is better than it seems)
  • Resurrection Protocols 1CP (turn your WL into a robotic Celestine on a 4+)
  • Quantum Deflection 1CP (if you use vehicles, -1 to the QS effect could be massive)
  • The Phaeron's Will 1CP (MWBD or WoC can be used a second time. Um, yes please!)
  • Dimensional Corridor 1CP (warp a unit from somewhere on the board not-in-combat to 3" from a Monolith)

*in my notes, it autocorrected to Mirthless Tyrant. Too perfect for angry dead space robots :biggrin.:

You can get +2 but still fail on 1. Just negates penalties.

Thought so. Thanks.

Also, based on the leaks...Gozer Anrakyr the Traveller seems like a pure upgrade to an Overlord...what am I missing?

The wording for characters like Imotekh and Anrakyr for MWBD says "Necron Infantry" rather than "<Dynasty> Infantry".

+1A to all Infantry and stealing enemy vehicles on top of that....

You can get +2 but still fail on 1. Just negates penalties.

Anrakyr costs more. But yeah, he and Imotekh are the only ones who can command Praetorians.

Thought so. Thanks.

Also, based on the leaks...Gozer Anrakyr the Traveller seems like a pure upgrade to an Overlord...what am I missing?

The wording for characters like Imotekh and Anrakyr for MWBD says "Necron Infantry" rather than "<Dynasty> Infantry".

+1A to all Infantry and stealing enemy vehicles on top of that....

Edit: Apparently this post got screwed up, I'm not seeing text?

What I said was Anrakyr costs more, that's the only downside. But he and Imotekh are the only way to give MWBD to Praetorians.

If these leaks are both valid and up-to-date, Immortals and Warriors are trash. Tomb Blades are vastly superior. Give Blades armorvanes and compare 1:2. They move almost thrice as fast, have one higher toughness and are hard to hit, same save and wounds, same shooting. On top of that they can take an invuln, and nebulascopes. And all for one point more than 2 immortals. A unit of 9 is much, much harder to kill (so more likely to actually get to use RP), more versatile, faster, and exactly as killy.

Assuming the points stay the same from betadex to Codex, Troops have all been given a fancy special rule of your choosing. How has this made them worse? Calling them trash seems pretty odd considering they are pretty amazing as Troops go if a bit expensive.

Because Tomb Blades get the same rule. So literally everything about them Tomb Blades do better for the same cost.

If the points are unchanged, then true.

I have a feeling the points value are going to change from the Beta dex.

Tomb Blades are great but ObSec and Command Points help people win games too, they're all different tools to accomplish different goals. I'm thinking that the points will be changed when the book is released though, I'd kinda like to think no Codex could survive from being a beta through playtesting and out the other side to print perfectly as-is without any changes (outside of formatting) at all.

I am hoping that a few of the units that are a bit sub-par in the Beta-dex will get a bit more love in the final release (Monoliths anyone?).

Tomb Blades do look really good, so do Wraiths. I can see some Outrider detachments in my future with a CCB sniper-Warlord perhaps. I guess that GW are counting on ObjSec and CPs to balance Tomb Blades vs Immortals. 

Just quested the interwebs looking for full page screenshots of the stratagems for a game this weekend. Enjoy!

http://img1.reactor.cc/pics/post/full/Warhammer-40000-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-Wh-News-Necrons-4356689.jpeg

http://img0.reactor.cc/pics/post/full/Warhammer-40000-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-Wh-News-Necrons-4356690.jpeg

http://img1.reactor.cc/pics/post/full/Warhammer-40000-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-Wh-News-Necrons-4356691.jpeg

I'm already sold on Mephrit (I have my own Dynasty, the Tin'ead). Thanks to Angelus Nex for pointing out the Voltaic Staff on CCB, that's exactly the kind of utility I'm looking for. This army is going to be a precision tool the way I'm putting it together.

Hi everyone, new to the forum, but not to 40K. I’ve been reading through the beta codex leak, from my understanding if everything is true, we can take multiple Dynasty Codes so long as each Detachment is one Code right?

Example: my Vanguard Detachment is all Novokh Dynasty, my Spearhead Detachment is all Sautekh, and my Battalion is all Nephrekh.

Would this technically be legal according to the Codex?

Archived