New Codex, New Cryptek

NTaW

Destroyers w/Destroyer Lord & Cryptek w/Canoptek Cloak could keep those Destoyers living longer and hitting harder, especially since all of those models move the same speed.

An Outrider detachment of Wraiths with the Novokh Code could be brutal, charge, attack, retreat, and charge again. Downside would be that that detachment woill be very costly or the squads of Wraiths will have to be 3 per squad.

Although the Nephrekh Strategem used with 2 10-man squads of Immortals to drop them right next to enemy infantry and shred them to pieces would be a lot of fun! (Provided you’re not rolling terribly)

I’m starting to think that a competitive list for Necrons is going to be a big combo of different dynasties. All of them have good positives, but I feel like they’re limited to only a few specific units. Can we be called a soup if it’s all the same faction?

Also, I’m starting to hope that lychguard and deathmarks get moved to troop choices as the leak showed. I’m disappointed in warriors so far, and I’d definitely drop them if I could move lychguard into their spot. Plus objective secured lychguard, yes please!

Dynasty Soup at most. I’m imagining different flavors for the same soup for Necrons, rather than an something like the Imperium where you’re throwing different ingredients into the soup with more combinations & choices to choose from.

Dynasty Soup at most. I’m imagining different flavors for the same soup for Necrons, rather than an something like the Imperium where you’re throwing different ingredients into the soup with more combinations & choices to choose from.

Tourney crons will be a CP regening Sautek character leading a Spearhead Detatchment of vehicles for move and shoot with no penalties. Mephrit battalion troop core. Novokoh outrider detatchment of canoptek units.

I didn’t think about sautekh spearhead. I like that.

Novokh is also the only way I’d take flayed ones. I think they’re still a little to costly to to confidently ds in and charge, but at least with stacked rerolls they should do a decent amount of damage when they do get in.

Can we be called a soup if it’s all the same faction?

I've seen "salad" used to describe multi dynasty crons.

Tourney crons will be a CP regening Sautek character leading a Spearhead Detatchment of vehicles for move and shoot with no penalties. Mephrit battalion troop core. Novokoh outrider detatchment of canoptek units.

I think I'd rather have a Nihilakh spearhead. The main unit I'll have for a spearhead is a couple doomsday arks and I'd want those staying still for the first turn or two at least so i personally think getting the reroll 1s to hit would be better for them.

Do you guys like Doomsday Arks, or think they’re viable this edition? I think the Nihilakh Code would be the most useful for them, especially for taking down Lords of War (like that new Imperial Knight that was announced).

Or are Heavy Destroyers a better option?

I'm actually not super fond of heavy destroyers now. I did some math and compared them to regular destroyers. With the buffs the Gauss cannon got they wind up almost exactly the same. I didn't save my numbers but I think against T6 and lower they get same number of average damage, but the heavy d get way fewer actual hits through than the baby d so against heavy infantry or stuff with good invulns baby d is more reliable. Heavy d does slightly more against high toughness high wound models like land raiders but it was (I believe) 1.3 ish extra damage for 7 more points a pop. Obviously against MEQ the heavy d is nearly worthless. So regular destroyers are much more versatile and only sacrifice a tiny bit of damage against things like Land Raiders. I haven't looked into knights and stuff with invulns at that size. If I have time I'll redo my math and post it all.

I would be more impressed with Doomsday Arks if the game had a mechanic for re-roll the D3 # of shots. I am really not a fan of D3 stuff since GW makes them cost more for the chance to get more than 1 hit, when in reality we know that you never get 3 shots when you really need to (hello rolling snakeyes for dual Heavy flamers)x

Sure seems like the beta leak was word for word what the Codex will be, though points costs won't be confirmed until (closer to) release. I haven't noticed any differences between the WC articles and what we saw the week prior.

I would be more impressed with Doomsday Arks if the game had a mechanic for re-roll the D3 # of shots. I am really not a fan of D3 stuff since GW makes them cost more for the chance to get more than 1 hit, when in reality we know that you never get 3 shots when you really need to (hello rolling snakeyes for dual Heavy flamers)x

I think Nikhlan doomsday Arks or Sautek Doom Scyths are good options for anti-tank. I do wish doomsday Arks had gotten something to represent the Primary Weapon rule that they used to have. Either rerolling wound rolls vs vehicles or something like the Neutron laser which can't roll lower than a 3 for damage.

Sure seems like the beta leak was word for word what the Codex will be, though points costs won't be confirmed until (closer to) release. I haven't noticed any differences between the WC articles and what we saw the week prior.

Well they said doom scythe tomorrow. Per the beta codex doom scythe hasn't changed aside from slight points cut and the dynasty isn't really good for them anyway. I hope it's not just to show off the vindicator stratagem, but that there is some new goodie for us.

Fingers crossed! Otherwise the Scythe will sadly be the first unit swapped out in my 2k list in favour of Destroyers once I get some (likely the 31st, wallet abiding).

It’s likely they’re showing off the 3 Doomscythe Strategem, really hoping I’m wrong though.

On the upside, they confirmed Doomsday Arks Fire D6 shots for both profiles regardless of how many models are in the unit you’re shooting at. And rerolling 1s to hit with the Nihilakh Code makes me want to give them a try at some point in time.

Yeeeeeep first unit swapped out in favour of Destroyers and another couple Wraiths assuming points costs are the same/similar between leak and book. Eventually I'll get another couple Scythes because I love the model (even if it's a flying croissant) to run in a Sautekh Air Wing Detachment. Phaeron knows it won't be to use the stratagem :lol:

Yeah. I might try 2 Scythes with a monolith for getting lots of dudes in people's faces, but Doom Scythe makes a poor gunship as of now. Too expensive, too unreliable.

I really liked the flying croissants too, but GW had to be predictable. I’ll still use them for fun games, since I don’t have the money to add a whole lot to my Necrons aside from Forgebane and the new Codex.

Hopefully Doomscythes will drop in point costs later down the line if they release another Chapter Approved.

It costs too much for what it does, and what it’s supposed to do is lackluster at best. It’s one of 4 Necron models that carries true anti-armor weapons, but you’re hitting on 4+ instead of 3+, and you only get D3 shots.

Drukhari Raiders & Skimmers are tougher than the flying croissant. Anything with FLY that even looks at a Doomscythe kills it.

It seems that the leaked "beta-codex" was the final version all along.

I laughed out loud when I saw that the error regarding to Deathmarks/Lychguard being Troops in the summary and Elites in the armylist made it into the final print. That's quite frankly embarrassing. 

Archived