Vanguard Detachment: Novokh Dynasty

Anrakyr the Traveler - Warlord

Three 5 man squads of Lychguard with Swords & Boards

Spearhead Detachment: Sautekh Dynasty

Cryptek w/Staff of Light & Canoptek Cloak

3 Doomsday Arks

Battalion Detachment: Nephrekh Dynasty

2 Crypteks w/Staff of Light & Canoptek Cloaks

(one of these 2 will replace their Staff of Light with the Nephrekh relic The Solar Staff (similar to the Staff of Light, but it is Assault 6 -3AP in the shooting phase with the ability: Each time an enemy INFANTRY is hit by this weapon in the shooting phase, roll a D6; on a 4+ the enemy unit is Blinded until the end of the turn - It cannot fire Overwatch & your opponent must subtract 1 from any hit rolls made for this unit)

10 man unit of Immortals w/Gauss Blasters

10 man unit of Immortals w/Gauss Blasters

12 man unit of Warriors

This gives you about 2000 point army with 8 CP

Anrakyr leading the army as the Warlord and the Cryptek w/The Solar Staff next to him surrounded by the Lychguard in front with Warriors behind them. Using the Nephrekh Strategem “Translocation Crypt” twice to set up both Immortal squads in reserve to be deployed at the end of Your movement phase behind enemy lines, 9” away but within rapid fire range. This would leave the Immortals out in the open as a distraction hopefully crippling an enemy unit or 2 while your Lychblob march up the board and into melee.

The Doomsday Arks can either stay still & blast the enemy armor from a distance, but because they are Sautekh, they can also move around the board (they move 12” to start) harassing the enemy without having to worry about the penalty to move and shoot heavy weapons (if they advance all their weapons become Assault weapons), while Supported by 2 Crypteks that can heal them D3 instead of regaining 1 wound for living metal.

With Anrakyr as Warlord, he comes with the Trait “Implacable Conquerer” giving units within 6” to reroll failed charge rolls. And while he cannot benefit from the Novokh Code, he can grant the Novokh Lychguard +1 to Attacks and if you use “The Phaeron’s Will” Strategem, you can give 2 of those 3 units MY WILL BE DONE benefits adding 1 to charging, advancing, & hitting. So those Lychguard on the charge, are hitting on 2 rerolling, 3 attacks each at S6 -3AP 1D.

In addition, the Warriors are providing cover fire behind them, or advancing 11” through terrain and models (Nephrekh Code) to go hold an objective while the Cryptek with The Solar Staff can blind a unit of infantry before the Lychguard charge & be in range to improve their Reanimation Protocols should you lose any.

The main reason I choose Swords & Boards over Warscythes is because when they don’t have that invulnerable save, they die very easily and I need them to survive. Plus I can use the Strategem “Dispersion Field Amplification” to make them 3++ throwing Mortal Wounds back at the enemy unit if I’m rolling 6 on the invulnerable save.

Alternatively I was thinking of a Novokh Outrider Detachment with 3 units of Canoptek Wraiths & a Cryptek. Those on the Charge they’re rerolling hits, retreat and then charge again. Or if the Canoptek Wraiths were in a Nephrekh detachment, they’re advancing 18” and using the Strategem “Adaptive Subroutines” to charge in.

My word. Yes I do think I’ll be playing Mephrit.

Yeah, they'll be my go to for sure. Sautekh will see some action also if I am using lots of heavy stuff, like Doom Scythes or Tomb Sentinels.

Outside of the most stringent of narrative instances I don't see a real reason not to use multiple Codes in the same list, it's easy enough to select units that work together independently but fill a larger role. Kinda seems like we have Code soup lists since allied are always a little awkward with Necrons.

*hard stare at Blood Angel collection

Sure seems like there's some fun to be had with that aspect of the Codex.

I think Nephrekh has some sneaky potential. I feel like they're the "Advanced" sub-faction: players who know what they're doing (not claiming to be one) will be able to pull out some crazy maneuvers with that, especially combined with their Alpha Legion-lite specific Strategem.

Now...let's talk Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers.

Heavy Destroyers seem like our best (and only?) AT shooting option. S9 AP-4 D:D3 on a 10" platform that has no penalties to Heavy weapons and auto-rolls 1's To Hit? Me like! T5 3W 3+ is not terrible either....easy enough for enemy to focus down, but hard to kill outside of dedicated focus fire. So unless you're going with Doomsday units (Doomsday Ark, Doomscythe, etc...), they seem like an almost must-have.

Destroyers...are pretty good for a Fast Attack slot. I didn't really see the point of them before, but I kept thinking they were Heavy Support. For FA, they're not bad at all, especially with Mephrit since they stand a chance of getting into the +AP range.

My question revolves around mixing units and ablative wounds:

A. load up on Heavy Destroyers in those Heavy Support slots. They're going to get shot at anyways, so you might as well brute force it and just be sure to have a Cryptek nearby for 5++/+1RP.

B. mixed units. I'm thinking in Astartes terms here where it's often better to have a Devastator squad with 2x lascannons and 2x meatshields then 4x lascannons. Split Fire for all this edition is amazing, so it seems viable to hide a Heavy Destroyer in a among 2 Lite Destroyers or so.

Mathcrons and experienced players <cough> @Tyriks :wink:  <cough>  what's your take?

Talent for annihilation + 10 strong tesla immortal squad - 6s to hit generating 3 hits and an additional hit roll

Add in MWBD from an Overlord and 5 & 6 generate 3 hits AND another shot that can generate 3 hits for every 5 & 6 rolled.

My poor ballpark math puts that at a potential 35 to 40 hits from 20 shots. Outside of 12" that's almost 9 wounds on a MEQ save. At half range with the -1 AP it gets scary.

I think Nephrekh has some sneaky potential. I feel like they're the "Advanced" sub-faction: players who know what they're doing (not claiming to be one) will be able to pull out some crazy maneuvers with that, especially combined with their Alpha Legion-lite specific Strategem.

Now...let's talk Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers.

Heavy Destroyers seem like our best (and only?) AT shooting option. S9 AP-4 D:D3 on a 10" platform that has no penalties to Heavy weapons and auto-rolls 1's To Hit? Me like! T5 3W 3+ is not terrible either....easy enough for enemy to focus down, but hard to kill outside of dedicated focus fire. So unless you're going with Doomsday units (Doomsday Ark, Doomscythe, etc...), they seem like an almost must-have.

Destroyers...are pretty good for a Fast Attack slot. I didn't really see the point of them before, but I kept thinking they were Heavy Support. For FA, they're not bad at all, especially with Mephrit since they stand a chance of getting into the +AP range.

My question revolves around mixing units and ablative wounds:

A. load up on Heavy Destroyers in those Heavy Support slots. They're going to get shot at anyways, so you might as well brute force it and just be sure to have a Cryptek nearby for 5++/+1RP.

B. mixed units. I'm thinking in Astartes terms here where it's often better to have a Devastator squad with 2x lascannons and 2x meatshields then 4x lascannons. Split Fire for all this edition is amazing, so it seems viable to hide a Heavy Destroyer in a among 2 Lite Destroyers or so.

Mathcrons and experienced players <cough> @Tyriks ;)  <cough>  what's your take?

I find destroyers and h.destroyers decent already, so with points drops and some rules buffs I'm in love with them. I find it's usually a good idea to have a little bubble wrap for them or stuff like plasma Scions can deep strike and eat them up, but most guns that can shoot them from afar feel like overkill (like shooting lascannons at a devastators squad, kind of). So, some scarabs or something help them avoid stuff that really wants to go after them. My only complaints about them right now are the cost of buying as many as I want and the apparent scarcity of the heavy d upgrade pack.

I currently field them mostly as one or the other but that's because I can't find any actual heavy destroyers yet so proxying is too questionable with mixed units. When I get some heavies built I will field them inside mixed units for sure. As it is I tend to have them perched right on the edge of my deployment zone with a D Lord guarding them.

Talent for annihilation + 10 strong tesla immortal squad - 6s to hit generating 3 hits and an additional hit roll

Add in MWBD from an Overlord and 5 & 6 generate 3 hits AND another shot that can generate 3 hits for every 5 & 6 rolled.

My poor ballpark math puts that at a potential 35 to 40 hits from 20 shots. Outside of 12" that's almost 9 wounds on a MEQ save. At half range with the -1 AP it gets scary.

will be fun to MWBD or WOC and melt something but only "unmodified sixes" generate the extra hit dice.

will be fun to MWBD or WOC and melt something but only "unmodified sixes" generate the extra hit dice.

Plus RAW the extra hits can’t trigger the Tesla.

Yes they can. They can't "generate further hit rolls," but Tesla extra hits aren't rolls, they're just successes.

Yes they can. They can't "generate further hit rolls," but Tesla extra hits aren't rolls, they're just successes.

Hmm I think you might be right but I’d need to study the wording in detail.

As a rule of thumb for myself, whenever I see any of those worrisome red banners I select a different country to be shipped to aside from mine and search the same product. Lots of repackaging going on from 7th to 8th it seems, almost every time it's nothing of note.

The more I sit and plan out army builds, let alone purchases, the more crowded the Fast Attack slot gets. Bloody blackstone there are some options in there:

Scarab Swarms: this is the "me" unit. Cheap, annoying, and can guarantee MW with a middle-finger style stratagem (Self Destruction). Perfect for my frenemy style meta.

Tomb Blades: as @Tyriks has pointed out, these guys could (depending on final points cost) be basically fast Immortals....what's not to love? But on top of that, they could be -1 To Hit to shooting and get an invuln as well. Whoa!

Destroyers:  a T5 3W 3+ unit with 10" movement, BS3+, ignores penalties to Heavy weapons, auto re-rolls 1's To Hit, and shoots Heavy 2 24" S5 AP-3 D:D3. Not bad at all. MEQ will quake. Add in a Destroyer Lord for re-roll 1's To Wound and some melee counter-punch AND Rez Orb backup and you've got yourself a nice little hunter-killer unit.

......but.....for my purposes, what makes them even more interesting is the ability to hide a Heavy Destroyer (same stats but 36" Heavy 1 S9 AP-4 D:D6) in each unit. (with Index point values) 2x Destroyers + 1x Heavy Destroyer is 40+1 melta bombs in cost. Not too shabby.

Canoptek Wraiths: 12" movement S6 T5 3W 3A units that ignore all penalties to movement (including enemy units) and have a 3++. Leaks suggest they can Charge after Falling Back as well. People have raved about these and I can see why.

Man....the choices!

but: are the immortal a regular troop choice?

If yes, they could be an interesting choice, couldn't they?

Well, yes they are a Troops unit. And they can get MWBD to hit on 2+ and get exploding 5's and 6's as well. Nothing wrong with Immortals at all, especially since they are Troops.

I am just confirming what Tyriks said about Tomb Blades basically being fast, hard to hit Immortals in the FA slot.

A very mobile and very mean army could be built around tomb blades, destroyers, and Scarabs and Wraiths backed by command barges and flying Ziptecks. Scarbs give your numbers, Wraiths are CC and destroyers and tomb blades are impossible to pin down mobile firebases while being buffed with MWBD and improved rez.

In fact I may have just written the basis for my new list....

I’m liking what I see if this leak turns out to be true when the real Codex drops. I think I’m gonna be choosing between Mephrit or Nephrekh for my Dynastic Codes.

My problem is in my current army I don’t have a lot of Anti-Tank things outside a Triarch Stalker and 2 Doom Scythes (Maybe I should roll Sautekh to get rid of that penalty for moving and shooting with Heavy weapons). But I’m definitely considering a Mephrit Outrider Detachment filled with Tomb Blades equipped w/Tesla Carbines. That amount of shooting moving fast is really tempting.

Should I invest in Heavy Destroyer units? And which would be better: the Heavy Support choice or the Fast Attack choice with HDs mixed in?

Heavy D's are great. I have yet to try a mixed unit due to not having actual models, and I'm not gonna try to have some heavies in a regular unit and say the one leaning more to the right is the heavy, but once I find some or a way to convert them that's how I'll run them. Destroyers are decently tough but not so much that they couldn't use protection. I usually have a minimum squad of scarabs nearby to protect against deep strike, because plasma Scions and things like that can cut right through them.

Never really found my ideal list in the index and now I'm struggling with all the things i want to try. I love ploys that are very in your face so I've got to have a Nephrekh detachment with destroyers (to deep strike and use their strat) and wraiths (near guaranteed turn 1 charge).

Beyond that I'm torn between Novokh to support my wraiths, or mephrit because i love the sniper CCB.

New SC box looks like a far better deal than the last SC box, which was a good deal to begin with:

Preview-Mar18-NecronStartCollecting4tt.j

Got in a game using the betadex yesterday and I gotta say, that Mephrit Code actually helped me murderate high T/W models a bit better. The hits that got through tended to cause wounds with AP+1 at half range and all of a sudden I was killing stuff instead of slowing it down subtly before it/they wrecked me. 

Talent for Annihilation + MWBD + Veil of Darkness = a friggin' ton of wounds almost anywhere you want by the way.

Yea this looks perfect to go with forgebane to get me going. Still can't decide between gauss or tesla....

Or which dynasty... I like the 6" Adv and float through terrian but i also like the +1ap at half range

Edit: spelling

Archived