=][= B&Z 2018 - Blood Angels HQ Stratagem =][=

Jolemai

24 hours remain

After which, this will be locked and the Troops category will open up.

Well then...

I Brother Aether rise to the HQ challenge of Blood & Zeal and vow to build one Brother Corbulo and a Captain with Jump Pack for a combined total of 11 PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2018. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels Faction, whilst failure is not an option...

Using the Blood Angels upgrade sprue for the chalice, several bits from assorted sanguinary guard/death company sprues and some vanguard veteran sprues as well...

Vow Complete.

Needed to wake up early to spray prime before work to make sure this vow got in on time!

I prefer helmeted characters and models (except scouts, Mephiston) for my army, so my Brother Corbulo kitbash is a little bit different than you might expect, but I tried to approximate the pose, etc with what I had. Bits lists are in the comments of the photos, but...

Assembled Brother Corbulo Kitbash (Grail and chest from the Blood Angels upgrade sprue, pauldrons, chainsword arm, legs from Death Company sprue, backpack from an Apothecary/Sanguinary Priest pewter blister) and Captain with Jump Pack (Power Sword, chest front, one pauldron from Death Company Sprue, head and other pauldron from Blood Angels upgrade sprue, legs, back of chest and jump pack from Vanguard Veterans sprues).

WIP:

Primed:

Love the dedication here :happy.:  I'm also impressed you got it all done in, what, fifteen hours or so with sleep? :ohmy.:

Models are looking good and characterful. Happy to give each one a 50 % bonus for a full on kitbash. Looking forward to seeing you in the next rounds :smile.:

Brothers, at this final hour visions of the Primarch overtake me...

I Landrick rise to the HQ challenge of Blood & Zeal and vow to build Brother Augustine, Sanguinary Priest for a combined total of 4PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2018. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels whilst failure is not an option...

Vow completed! This is the first time I have uploaded pictures, so let me know if there are any issues

Pictures look fine, model looks great - excellent completion and speedy too :thumbsup:

See you in the future rounds?

Next on the plate (literally).

med_gallery_101149_13675_229155.jpg

Another BA primaris Lt.

On a side note, I thought one of the primaris kits I had previously was a captain. In actuallity, I think they're all Lieutenants.

med_gallery_101149_13675_230252.jpg

So right now score is 26 (?).

3 X 5 for primaris lts.

1 X 11 for Dante.

I'm almost done with my DC captain. He'll bring the total to 32.

Edit: Vow complete, 32 points.

med_gallery_101149_13675_387250.jpg

Edited, to three Lieutenants for what I'm sure is an honest mistake, I struggle with the new stuff as I'm unfamiliar with it too :smile.:

32 points are correct, however, your DC Captain nets us a 50 % bonus (so three extra points) for the kitbash. Have you a parts list? Also this is the first grey undercoat submitted so far... and it's surprisingly hard to make out :unsure.: what spray is it?

If it's the grey primer from Citadel you can forget about making out the difference. It's the exact same tone of grey as unpainted plastic ... really sucks to try and see whether you primed your model properly or not. :D

Vow complete! Barrels drilled, mold lines removed, and three terminator champions now primed and ready for the next stage of paint. Bases are untouched as I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.

gallery_70556_14250_8259.jpg

How do you plan on making the Space Hulk Sergeant stand out as a Captain? Do you plan on tweaking much, or will it be the paint job?

A bit of both. The Sergeant already had more extensive detailing, similar to that on Karlean, so I wanted to avoid anything that would mess with that. I did replace the winged chalice on top with a proper iron halo, attached a targeting scope to the storm bolter, and added several purity seals to the shoulders and one leg. One of the seals was to cover a malformed area on the crux terminatus. I was able to kind of fix it while cleaning the model but opted to just conceal that area in the end. He will also get a more intricate paint job appropriate for his status.

Congrats on your completions and thanks for the information on the TDA Captain with relic blade :wink: I'm sure he'll paint up wonderfully :)

Right...

I spagunk rise to the HQ challenge of Blood & Zeal and vow to build:

One Captain (Power Sword and Plasma Pistol)

One Sanguinary Priest (Plasma Pistol)

One Terminator Chaplain (Crozius and storm Bolter)

One Blood Angel Primaris Lieutenant (Power sword, bolt pistol)

One Captain with Jump Pack (Twin Lightning claws)

One Captain in Terminator Armor (Relic blade and storm bolter)

One Librarian in Terminator Armor (Combi-melta, Force Axe)

... for a combined total of 41 PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2018. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option...

gallery_40907_9492_44386.jpg

Vow Completed:

gallery_40907_9492_474643.jpg

additional pics:

gallery_40907_9492_128615.jpggallery_40907_9492_189837.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_201868.jpggallery_40907_9492_165225.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_512840.jpggallery_40907_9492_624782.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_524843.jpggallery_40907_9492_263846.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_425942.jpggallery_40907_9492_629474.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_179559.jpggallery_40907_9492_344656.jpg

So yeah, I have a question. Um, how??? :eek::eek:

If I'm seeing this right, the foot Captain is a full on kitbash, the jump Captain is a second edition DC model with metal light claws and a jump pack, whilst the Sanguinary Priest has swapped his grail for a plasma pistol, correct? Only that will be a 50 %, 25 %, and 25 % bonus respectively giving a combined total of (41 + 6) 47 PL, which is just nuts. Congrats again!!!

The spray is rustoleum x 2 works on plastics. It's surprisingly good with coverage. I just started using it a second it takes airbrush base coat really well (Mephiston red). For my DC captain I'm going to use abandon black air.

Parts include DC shoulderpad, BA shoulderpad, SG jump pack, random legs and chest from bitz , terminator shield, DC hammer, old school chainsword pommel skull, upgrade sprue head, old school left arm, upgrade sprue winged skull thingy, green stuff right arm connection.

I think that's it more or less. Legs might be from tactical sprue?

Edit: two of my lts. Where from dark imperium box. I did swap a head and added BA specific shoulder pads and added some iconography if that counts for conversion.

I Reyner rise to the HQ challenge of Blood & Zeal and vow to build 1 Captain in Terminator Armour for a combined total of 7 PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2018. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option...

WIP:

gallery_26119_8381_336968.jpg
Vow Complete! Got a bit sidetracked watching Logan...

gallery_26119_8381_700790.jpg

Pics are in the spoilers just in case they are too large :)

Got my sternguard sprues (for lieutenant legs) on Friday, which weren't included in original 'pre' build post.

Then airbrush out today for painting...

Captain with jump pack (6PL) and 2x Lieutenants w/JP (5PL each) = 16 PL for HQ. 

Bonus images (and for any extra credit)... the arms and packs are all magnetised on these 3; I only have one set of arms for the lieutenants so far, but you can see the alternate captain options (sword and pistol) along with the airbrush-basecoats for 5th co colours on the banners. 

You only needed to go as far as the undercoat (basecoated models are often at the event management's discretion as to whether or not they can be entered), but that doesn't mean they don't look great :) Any tips on that quartered scheme?

Been trying to make all the bits out but there's a lot of work gone into this along with the options available too. Will be awarded 50 % bonus to each bringing your total to 25 PL (16 + 3 + 3 (rounded from 2.5) +3 (rounded from 2.5)

I Reyner rise to the HQ challenge of Blood & Zeal and vow to build 1 Captain in Terminator Armour for a combined total of 7 PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2018. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option...

WIP:

Pics are in the spoilers just in case they are too large :smile.:

You still need to prime him real quick to complete your vow! :o

Update: Built the two models, just need to basecoat them after the glue has set a bit more. You can see the plastic modifications I made to the resin Librarian (New left arm, BA pistol and shoulder pad, axe swapped to a long sword and jump pack added).

Wr8nJNS.jpg

Will add the final picture when the basecoat is done.

Vow Complete

I Thoridon rise to the HQ challenge of Blood & Zeal and vow to build The Sanguinor and a Librarian with Jump Pack for a combined total of 16 PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2018.

O5cFY45.jpg

Being the final 12 hours I'll keep it simple and get these two built and primed. With the Librarian I'll use a jump pack I have from another kit and probably look through my spare bits to change his axe and plasma pistol into other weapons.

Showing modifications to Librarian:

- Added the jump pack

- Replaced the axe with a sword

- Replaced the complete left plasma pistol arm with a BA bolt pistol and BA shoulder pad

Wr8nJNS.jpg

Base coat done:

yjHutpr.jpg

Nice work :tu: Pity my Sanguinor was undercoated on the sprue otherwise I would have entered him myself... I've never liked that Librarian model but I do like your alterations :) He gets the 25 % bonus and I hope to see you back for the next rounds :)

WIP:

Pics are in the spoilers just in case they are too large :smile.:

You still need to prime him real quick to complete your vow! :o

Ah balls me dumb. The temperature outside would have shafted the undercoat anyways.

I don't think my vow will be completed in time except possibly if i forgo a cloak :sad.:

this is where he's at build wise:

med_gallery_14877_13354_416985.jpg

other pictures etc on blog post:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335744-baals-new-heroes-a-primaris-blog/page-6

at the absolute minimum i need to sand/carve the tabard a bit to smooth it a bit and add some details to each shoulder plus a blood drop pendant here and there. I'd really like to have a cloak on him, but struggling to work out a good way to sculpt it, and it definitely wouldn't be cured in time now.

The joys of not getting to start my vow till thursday.

All the same, he's looking great :)

Ah balls me dumb. The temperature outside would have shafted the undercoat anyways.

Do it like us oldies did back in the day and brush it on :smile.:

Right...

... for a combined total of 41 PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2018. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels, whilst failure is not an option...

Vow Completed:

additional pics:

If I'm seeing this right, the foot Captain is a full on kitbash, the jump Captain is a second edition DC model with metal light claws and a jump pack, whilst the Sanguinary Priest has swapped his grail for a plasma pistol, correct? Only that will be a 50 %, 25 %, and 25 % bonus respectively giving a combined total of (41 + 6) 47 PL, which is just nuts. Congrats again!!!

Foot captain is just a kitbash, yes. BA Tac legs, upgrade sprue torso, SG plasma arm, SM captain backpack with the upgrade sprue halo. Base has the Assault marine stairs with a devestator (previous edition, not current) servo skull attached.

You were close on the LC captain. 2nd edition metal body with the finecast LC arms (Finecast Vet upgrade sprue) and the Antor Delassio's jump pack. Wanted him to be thought of as a captain and the halo did a good job of marking him special.

SangPriest was a simple gun swap and head swap.

You may have also missed that I swapped the Termie captain sword out for the Sanguinary Guard blade (Pinned as well, not that you can tell) to make it a BA relic blade plus a simple head swap. I also added FW shoulders but the picture doesn't really show them off well.

As far as the how, I have been planning these for awhile but never got the impetus to glue and primer them. This gave me the will to at least go that far. I shaved/drilled and cleaned on my break times at work (what time I have left there, that is) and a few odd pieces before bed. Bases were "Spackled" Fridayday night. I sprayed Saturday morning and spent Sunday night gluing them together before I took a nap prior to work (I work in US but mostly have UK-like hours for job purposes).

WIP:

Got my vow Jolemai?

So long as it's posted, I've got it logged. Due to RL and the fact that this thread moves so fast it sometimes takes me a while to acknowledge :smile.:

I don't think my vow will be completed in time except possibly if i forgo a cloak :sad.:

this is where he's at build wise:

med_gallery_14877_13354_416985.jpg

other pictures etc on blog post:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335744-baals-new-heroes-a-primaris-blog/page-6

at the absolute minimum i need to sand/carve the tabard a bit to smooth it a bit and add some details to each shoulder plus a blood drop pendant here and there. I'd really like to have a cloak on him, but struggling to work out a good way to sculpt it, and it definitely wouldn't be cured in time now.

The joys of not getting to start my vow till thursday.

Really liking this version and hope to maybe steal this when I get around to doing my Primaris Gravis captain. Nice job!

That is complete, yes. Well done! Your PA kitabash looks very neat and get use of bits! He gets a 50 % bonus (which is 3 after rounding from 2.5) for a total of 8 to compliment the 7 from Karlaen the TDA Captain. Anything planned for the next category?

Thank you! Yes I am super-happy with how the PA Captain kitbash turned out. Glad to contribute the extra credits!

The next strat is troops isn’t it? I will have to pass I think unless I can find any unassembled grunts. If I can find any, you know I will vow them. Would a combat squad be acceptable? Pretty sure I don’t have a full tactical squad that aren’t already built...

Yep, minimum squad sizes are fine if that's all you can contribute. For me, it looks like just a small squad of Scouts...

Phoros is made up of a reposed Mk III tactical marine (I had to cut up the legs and arms to get the pose right), 30k ahriman's cape with the back pack cut off, the sword, the other hand and the head are from the sanguinary guard, the iron halo is a grey knight warding staff top with the skull cut out, one of the shoulders is from the sternguard and the other is from the death company (i think!) with the grail shaved off and a heart scuplted in its place.  I also sculpted the top part of the cape and a sling for his melta gun, for which I made some sling swivels out of paper clip, I also sculpted the tongue and severed neck of the carnifex on the base.... So yeah, if you want to call it an extensive conversion I wouldn't disagree, but I will leave that up to you.  No matter how many points he earns, I'm happy with him. :yes:

You should be, he's brilliant :smile.:

The spray is rustoleum x 2 works on plastics. It's surprisingly good with coverage. I just started using it a second it takes airbrush base coat really well (Mephiston red). For my DC captain I'm going to use abandon black air.

Parts include DC shoulderpad, BA shoulderpad, SG jump pack, random legs and chest from bitz , terminator shield, DC hammer, old school chainsword pommel skull, upgrade sprue head, old school left arm, upgrade sprue winged skull thingy, green stuff right arm connection.

I think that's it more or less. Legs might be from tactical sprue?

Edit: two of my lts. Where from dark imperium box. I did swap a head and added BA specific shoulder pads and added some iconography if that counts for conversion.

Iconography doesn't but the bits swap does. Will edit them in, thanks for letting me know :smile.:

Foot captain is just a kitbash, yes. BA Tac legs, upgrade sprue torso, SG plasma arm, SM captain backpack with the upgrade sprue halo. Base has the Assault marine stairs with a devestator (previous edition, not current) servo skull attached.

You were close on the LC captain. 2nd edition metal body with the finecast LC arms (Finecast Vet upgrade sprue) and the Antor Delassio's jump pack. Wanted him to be thought of as a captain and the halo did a good job of marking him special.

You may have also missed that I swapped the Termie captain sword out for the Sanguinary Guard blade (Pinned as well, not that you can tell) to make it a BA relic blade plus a simple head swap. I also added FW shoulders but the picture doesn't really show them off well.

As far as the how, I have been planning these for awhile but never got the impetus to glue and primer them. This gave me the will to at least go that far. I shaved/drilled and cleaned on my break times at work (what time I have left there, that is) and a few odd pieces before bed. Bases were "Spackled" Fridayday night. I sprayed Saturday morning and spent Sunday night gluing them together before I took a nap prior to work (I work in US but mostly have UK-like hours for job purposes).

Also, I was trying to get my hammersmash captain fit for this one but it was no good. Same goes for a sanguinary priest with jump pack. Sadly I could not get them into a shape worthy for this competition so I left them out.

Right...

Vow Completed:

additional pics:

So yeah, I have a question. Um, how??? :eek::eek

I did miss the TDA Captain, yes. Edited his points now, cheers for letting me know and that is some dedication all the same :ohmy.:

24 hours remain

After which, this will be locked and the Troops category will open up.

Well then...

I Brother Aether rise to the HQ challenge of Blood & Zeal and vow to build one Brother Corbulo and a Captain with Jump Pack for a combined total of 11 PL on or before 2359 UTC February 26th, 2018. Success will bring honour to the Blood Angels Faction, whilst failure is not an option...

Using the Blood Angels upgrade sprue for the chalice, several bits from assorted sanguinary guard/death company sprues and some vanguard veteran sprues as well...

Vow Complete.

Needed to wake up early to spray prime before work to make sure this vow got in on time!

I prefer helmeted characters and models (except scouts, Mephiston) for my army, so my Brother Corbulo kitbash is a little bit different than you might expect, but I tried to approximate the pose, etc with what I had. Bits lists are in the comments of the photos, but...

Assembled Brother Corbulo Kitbash (Grail and chest from the Blood Angels upgrade sprue, pauldrons, chainsword arm, legs from Death Company sprue, backpack from an Apothecary/Sanguinary Priest pewter blister) and Captain with Jump Pack (Power Sword, chest front, one pauldron from Death Company Sprue, head and other pauldron from Blood Angels upgrade sprue, legs, back of chest and jump pack from Vanguard Veterans sprues).

WIP:

Primed:

Love the dedication here :happy.:  I'm also impressed you got it all done in, what, fifteen hours or so with sleep? :ohmy.:

Models are looking good and characterful. Happy to give each one a 50 % bonus for a full on kitbash. Looking forward to seeing you in the next rounds :smile.:

Thanks Jolemai! I had been mentally planning it out all week but I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it – got to use the opportunity to watch the olympic closing ceremonies concurrent with trimming parts, filing, and gluing for a speedy turnaround! :thumbsup:

I will definitely be putting some things together for the elites section. Although this isn't an official vow ... I have the remaining VVs on the sprues (from my initial pictures) I want to magnetize, and I have 5 metal death company models (I have a bunch of guys from 2nd–3rd edition) that might need some greenstuff to fit the larger arms and pauldrons onto. It will be my first foray into greenstuff, so I'm going to my FLGS to get some pointers if I can! :laugh.:

You only needed to go as far as the undercoat (basecoated models are often at the event management's discretion as to whether or not they can be entered), but that doesn't mean they don't look great :smile.: Any tips on that quartered scheme?

Been trying to make all the bits out but there's a lot of work gone into this along with the options available too. Will be awarded 50 % bonus to each bringing your total to 25 PL (16 + 3 + 3 (rounded from 2.5) +3 (rounded from 2.5)

Thanks - yeah, I prime and basecoat with airbrush while the bits are blutacked on pegs individually so made sense to do both at the same time. It's a couple extra min to change colours rather than having to unpack the airbrush for the dining room table again later on... 

Similarly for the quartered heraldry for the 5th - easier to do that using airbrush and tamiya masking tape with averland sunset than painting squares by hand. 

I probably should have taken a couple of WIP pics of the captain one (bit more complicated to square up the black as well); although have some on blog from an earlier tactical squad sergeant build that was pretty clean finish. There was just a little bit of bleed on these ones for the yellow that will need some clean up - tips are to make sure the tape is properly pushed down into creases, etc; and for whichever colour goes on top, make sure it is relatively 'dry' (ie not too thin) coming out of the airbrush (I was a little wet this time). 

Captain parts are a mix of sprues from BA tactical & upgrade, DC, SG, commander, Vanguard and BA terminator kits. 

Lieutenants mainly SG and sternguard bits. 

*Figures sold separately. 

Vow complete for reals this time. Luckily this Baal Red spray didn't betray me like it did with Smaug :sad.:

gallery_26119_8381_711926.jpg

Huge fan of the late vow and somehow our forum always manages to pull it off well. Really impressed that you managed to squeeze this in, congrats!

Maybe allow more time should you enter another category? hehe :teehee:

Vow Complete.

One Gravis Captain, pretty sure it should get bonus points for using parts from ~ 5 kits and having sculpted abdomen, tabard and chapter symbol?

gallery_14877_13354_89079.jpggallery_14877_13354_93418.jpg

p.s. Cloak may get sculpted if LutherMax comes up with a clever way to do it as I got none, otherwise he's definitely done.

Archived