What would you want in future Primaris expansions?

It may have to do with model footprint. Repulsors can transport similar total wounds as a Land Raider (variant). Impulsors can transport similar total wounds as a Rhino. We needs something built off the Repulsor chassis, but with the same role as the Impulsor, low-to-no guns and less points. Personally, I think the Marine aesthetic of bolting on numerous guns to anything above a certain size and transport capacity be damned makes that unlikely.

I also wonder if this is a specific weakness being leveraged among Primaris; like, it'd be nice, but we'll never get it because part of the Primaris's "thing" is a lack of full size squad transports.

Forget where I saw it, but someone did a mockup of a Repulsor without the turret and it looked pretty acceptable. It would save a lot of points to get rid of all those weapons and replace them with just an optional pintle weapon or two. And realistically it should increase the transport capacity since it would save on space needed for ammo.

I could definitely see GW releasing an actual DEDICATED Dedicated Transport version of the Repulsor down the road. The first one really just seemed to be going the "Jack of All Trades" route since it was going to be the only vehicle available to the Primaris (leaving aside that yes, rules-wise, the Redemptor is a "vehicle" as well).

So they gave us an option that combined transport and offensive capability and wound up not being the best solution for either. With the Executioner having popped up as a better solution on the offensive side, hopefully they'll introduce another model to provide a better transport solution.

It may be a while before we get that though, if ever. I think there’s a good chance that it is part of our thing, lack of full transport. But even still, maybe this wave, maybe in years to come. Marines will always sell, and they need sales for years to come.

I think with outflanking being a general rule, Drop Pods will become more irrelevant.

I actually don't feel that a static vehicle with no firepower has much value in the game, especially as something like an Impulsor can get you across the table in one turn (23" with moving and disembarking) which is enough to get the unit inside into rapid fire range at the very least.

Edited by Ishagu

I think with outflanking being a general rule, Drop Pods will become more irrelevant.

I actually don't feel that a static vehicle with no firepower has much value in the game, especially as something like an Impulsor can get you across the table in one turn (23" with moving and disembarking) which is enough to get the unit inside into rapid fire range at the very least.

I know it isnt the most effective option but for me it looks cool and is iconic for space marines. It will be a shame if GW dont have this as an option for Primaris. Edited by Subtleknife

There's a lot of conceptual overlap between Gravis and Iron; it'd be neat, but I wonder if such a unit would be a 3-6 model count or flat 5. I can't imagine a 10 strong Gravis unit.

What, a 30-wound T5 3+ unit sounds too crazy? :lol:

Actually... Yeah, that sounds a bit much.....

There's a lot of conceptual overlap between Gravis and Iron; it'd be neat, but I wonder if such a unit would be a 3-6 model count or flat 5. I can't imagine a 10 strong Gravis unit.

What, a 30-wound T5 3+ unit sounds too crazy? :laugh.:

As troops, yeah maybe. But as an elite slot I don't see the problem. GK have 10 man strong paladin squads and they're 3 wounds apiece with a 2+/5++ albeit at T4. But considering transhuman physiology I'd argue toughness isn't quite as important as it once was (not to mention they also have access to a -1 to wound roll strat or psychic power).

But more importantly, those gravis bois would look badass marching up the board

What, a 30-wound T5 3+ unit sounds too crazy? :laugh.:

As troops, yeah maybe. But as an elite slot I don't see the problem. GK have 10 man strong paladin squads and they're 3 wounds apiece with a 2+/5++ albeit at T4. But considering transhuman physiology I'd argue toughness isn't quite as important as it once was (not to mention they also have access to a -1 to wound roll strat or psychic power).

But more importantly, those gravis bois would look badass marching up the board

That is an excellent point.

The vanguard release didn’t come with the impulsor or incursers in the starter box. Or the reiver LT. So there might be another character, unit, and vehicle coming with this wave, at a small delay.

The first Primaris wave didn’t have the repulsor, aggressors, chaplain, librarian, or tacticus captain.

There might well be more HQ units released, like the Techmarine.

After Dark Imperium came out they released the Tacticus Captain, Librarian, etc

The vanguard release didn’t come with the impulsor or incursers in the starter box. Or the reiver LT. So there might be another character, unit, and vehicle coming with this wave, at a small delay.

The first Primaris wave didn’t have the repulsor, aggressors, chaplain, librarian, or tacticus captain.

Likely we'll be getting the speeder and the tank that we saw in the same blurry photo as the first time we saw the bikes!

So, I've been mostly concerned about this year and next, which I still think will give us essentially the entire Primaris range, minus additional character models released each year and then probably start cranking out chapter-specific squads and characters maybe a year or three after the base range is released...

But, in the slightly longer term, I have to say I think we will get an Overlord eventually from Forge World. I don't expect it for several more years, so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it happens earlier. But I think maybe one reason GW seems to be sticking to vehicles with the Repulsor chassis is because the Overlord will have vehicle transport capacity similar to the Stormbird and a Repulsor hull will fit its ramps and cargo area as perfectly as a Rhino chassis fit the Stormbird's. Yeah, this would mean that an Astraeus might not fit an Overlord, but then Forge World was clear that the Astraeus has a sketchy background and isn't one of Cawl's designs, which the Repulsor and presumably the Overlord both are.

In fact, while this could easily be indicative of nothing, I'm taking the mention of the Overlord's design in The Great Work as evidence that someone at GW/FW has gone ahead and sketched out a basic blueprint for the Overlord. More detail was given here than when it was first mentioned in Dark Imperium, including that the flight deck is actually above the cargo bay on the Overlord, kind of a weird detail for the author to just make up given that it goes against most of the Imperial designs we've seen. And there may be a specific reason for it:

Aside from the Overlord, another obvious choice would be a Primaris version of the Castellum Stronghold as well. The unfortunate thing here is that I'm sure they'll stay restricted to that 2x2 Realm of Battle footprint, but Hell that might even be a big part of the reason why they would go with a cab-over design for the Overlord since every architect knows when you can no longer build out, you build UP. And they'd be losing area from two directions - first Primarisizing the flyer itself and second having Primaris-sized bunkers and walkways that would probably encroach on the landing pad and cause that to likely even be smaller than the original Castellum's. So that cab-over design could save them some serious headaches and may be evidence that not only has someone given serious thought to the Overlord's design, but they've specifically thought about it within the context of how it would interact with a Primaris version of the Castellum.

Who knows - it could all be nothing, but I have to think there was always a plan to do Primaris versions of the Forge World transports and the Stronghold. And once they saw how well the first wave caught on, they probably gave the greenlight to the development of those products. But design-to-tabletop being what it is just for GW products, let alone Forge World, it could easily be another three to five years before we see them even if they are well into development.

Likely we'll be getting the speeder and the tank that we saw in the same blurry photo as the first time we saw the bikes!

The repulsor?

Though it's very hard to see properly in that picture due to the quality of it, it does look like said repulsor turret has two twinlinked weapons, which if true would mean its another variant we've yet to see. I also think it looks like the turrets is further back than on the two variants we do have, as well as some other minor differences that makes it look like neither the regular of executioner variants.

okecSh7.jpg

The image in question.

As we can see, front and center is a speeder-like thing that uses the Impulsor Chassis and, just below it, a seeming Repulsor Variant which differs from the current by the raised slope underneath the turret as well as the turret weapons themselves.

Of note: the confirmed Primaris Bikers.

Edited by Slips

My main annoyance with drop pods is just that it's essentially an army ability you have to buy while footing the bill for a fairly significant model in cost. Ideally speaking the ability to deepstrike any unit should just be inherent to the space marine army on whole, with drop pods seeing some more unique ability, such as circumventing limitations on deepstrike proximity to enemy models or not counting as movement so you can move and charge out of drop pods.

Idk, looks like an exterminator turret. You can see the icarus rocket pod and the.... whatever the big plasma cannon is that the redmptors can also use.

Executioner.

And no I dont think you can really see the plasma, its a different gun smaller in size. No blue glow. And it has no rear weapon on account of the turret being further back (and higher up).  The forward guns are more centered, there's no rectancular grenade boxes on the front nor diagonal rear facing storm bolter sponsons either. Heck even the circular missile launcher is on the wrong side. Lots of differences

Edited by Reinhard

Idk, looks like an exterminator turret. You can see the icarus rocket pod and the.... whatever the big plasma cannon is that the redmptors can also use.

Executioner.

And no I dont think you can really see the plasma, its a different gun smaller in size. No blue glow. And it has no rear weapon on account of the turret being further back (and higher up).  The forward guns are more centered, there's no rectancular grenade boxes on the front nor diagonal rear facing storm bolter sponsons either. Heck even the circular missile launcher is on the wrong side. Lots of differences

It's actually about the right size for the plasma, that barrel is short compared to the HLD. It is weird that the blue glow wouldn't be prominent enough to show up even in that pixelated photo, though. As to the rocket pod, it can be modelled on both sides (check the photos on GW's product page).

I think it actually is an Executioner turret, but it looks to me like those dual antennas are a new bit stuck in where the storm bolters would go (there's only one antenna bit on the regular Executioner turret). But it's absolutely stuck further back on the chassis than either the Executioner or the regular Repulsor have their turrets.

My speculation has been that it's an Executioner turret stuck back on an Impulsor chassis with some new top and back panels to fully enclose it. Basically a Predator equivalent with no transport capacity.