BA Apocalypse 23/03 - 25/03

Jolemai

Highlights from our team 1:

* Brass Scorpion eating a Warhound

* Charlo's Flybrarian Dreadnoughts get into combat and destroyed a Land Raider, I spent four CPs avoiding perils with mine...

* Just moving and a few skirmishes. Jump DC only got in combat with five Devs (annihilated) but annoyingly lost four to a DA Command Squad from the LR getting a "free hit" on them.

So sadly not a lot of action from the Custodes thus far in the Apocalypse.

However, the Coronus tanked the combined fire power of two twin turbo lasers (one Warhound & one Reaver), a Preator missile tank, and a squad of Deathwing before finally succumbing to some other Militarum missiles. Not to mention the first Turbo laser is mistakenly didn't take my invuln against.

And then a Callidus Assassin appeared behind Cawl (our Warmaster) and the Shield Captain heroically intervenes to slay it.

So my BA are REALLY good at stripping wounds from Warhounds, Meltapod and some Devastators, Tacticals, Deredeo etc all helped lay a second Warhound low.

As I Speak the Custodes Contemptor exemplar has landed to Las-Pulse a Bandblade into the floor along with my the Vindicator.

I also hear that we have something big heading in to take out the Raven Guard Thunderhawk...

Charlo should have some more pictures to out up but not a great deal happened in my turn two yesterday. My Shadowsword detonated a Knight for a cheap VP and whilst it seemed like a waste considering the firepower it has, it cleared a space for drops on T3 (VPs were looking tight anyway).

Hyperios took out a Valyrie too which was pleasing after years of neglect by FW.

The rest of my force was still off the board...

Seeing how the schedule was "optimistic" at best, we had enough time for one turn today before we had to pack up.

Edited by Jolemai

As Charlo has alluded to, their turn two saw a bunch of super-heavies arrive for our opponents (Baneblade, Valdor, Malcador Internus, Praetor) and a tank company, along with a handful of "sweep striking reseves).

Naturally our Shadowsword and Cerberus were shot off the board ongoing with some chaff clears from our deployment zones (which were gridlocked due to being less than optimal and having a gazillion grunts)

With turn three being our last we had to go for broke. As well as getting on all the remaining Knights (anything not on the board is automatically destroyed, so we'd rather they worked for any VP kills), notable inclusions were my Predator, Stormraven, Sicaran, Terminators and everything with a jump pack. A load more TDA and Charlo's jump troops arrived too.

Turn 3 pt.3

IVs0u3Y.jpg
FyaaH9I.jpg
a4MnTfT.jpg
xzBbl3c.jpg

Post Game

oF6Krln.jpg

Best Moment

Seeing the weakened God-Machine struggling, the Dark Apostle aims his ancient and terrible bolt pistol at the cockpit, letting off a shell containing what must have been a bound greater daemon that proceeds to run rampant inside the machines internals causing a full reactor meltdown!
z2OHnEw.jpg

I also hear that we have something big heading in to take out the Raven Guard Thunderhawk...

As it's an Apocalypse, there's always something I try and pull off that's memorable. One of my favourite early Apoc memories was getting Mephiston into combat with a Stompa back when they were first released (great pre-fight picture...*) and since then, it's been things like my Cerberus stopping the twin lasblaster and dual turbo-laser Reaver from firing (2015), or pulling off Apoc Stratagem shenanigans like a Blind Barrage right infront of the board guns we'd just lost control off (2016).

This Thunderhawk had only lost four wounds by turn three and Mephiston deploys on the board. Proceeds to cast Wings and Rage (whiffs Quickening), then gets himself to just outside of 1" of his target and easily makes the charge:

gallery_62972_11822_35235.jpg

However, the Thunderhawk had already blown away the chaff sent in to eat overwatch meaning he had some saves to make. The lascannons were dodged and after the 24 heavy bolter shots had ceased firing his was left on two wounds. Then came the turbo-laser destructor. One wound got through which became five damage and sadly only three Lord of Death saves were passed :(

That said, I ran through the numbers anyway (we hoped Only in Death Does Duty End would activate but alas). With Red Rampage Mephiston would have generated seven attacks all of which wounded, only for the RG player to make five 5+ saves, which would have translated into a mere five damage :cry:

It's a shame because the plan was sound... Mephiston with Quickening, Rage, and Red Rampage active generates a maximum of 33 damage and if the numbers hadn't been there I'd have gone again with Honour the Chapter. Ah well, maybe next year.

*This Stompa had a survival streak up to Apocalypse 2015, but Mephiston still did some significant damage iirc

Hence the problem with targets of opportunity. The original plan for Mephiston was to arrive via Drop Pod and flip some Knights, whilst the Angel Wing had, on hindsight, been wasted earlier getting the DC into combat.