Hermanista's Knights Mechanicus

hermanista

For Custodes, ALL Infantry got Objective Secured to account for their low amount of models.

I'm guessing Knights will get similar (seeing as they are technically restricted to the Super-Heavy Detachment) and have scoring with amount of wounds remaining being the amount of models they count as.

I am also wondering will they provide a troop choice for knight houses when the codex drops.

My hope : AdMech ! Thematically, they are simply the best fit. 

Hmm. I'm not so sure. I'd have no problem with them as an option, but I feel something more like 'guard' style retainers such as the ones Hermanista is converting would be fluffier. Most Knight houses appear to exist on a world which they essentially 'run'. While many are certainly Mechanicus aligned, I don't see them have legions of Mechanicus troops constantly to hand - the possible exception there being House Taranis?

That said, I'd still love to see something akin to the Secutarii Titan Guard available to Knights (I'm still a little sore that Hoplites and Peltasts as yet haven't transfered to 8th edition :P)

Have to agree, most of the Knight Worlds are described as medieval and feudal worlds. Not all fit this bill, certainly, but the sacristans are described as being covertly converted to the Cult Mechanicus because the Mechanicus has no other presence on-world, even with many Houses that are Mechanicus-Aligned.

Beyond that, "House Troops" I've never seen described as going to war with the Knights beyond their own world. All of the descriptors and artwork I've seen say that the Knights support the armies of the Imperium rather than make up their own full forces. It's always a Knight with the Militarum, the Space Marines, the Skitarii, etc.

I mean, is there any artwork of an Imperium war where "House Troops" are pictured?

I think you're probably right.

While it seems highly unlikely that a Knight world wouldn't have some form of militia at least (a Knight Suit is probably overkill for dealing with a bar brawl - even in the 40k universe), we'd likely be looking at 'troops' that deal solely with domestic matters, and possibly not even professional soldiers.

Beyond that, I'd guess you could just as easily have an Astra Militarium or Skitarii force in support of the Knight Household as you could the reverse? I suppose it would be a matter of which group had seniority or the greater share of authority in a campaign (politics innit :tongue.:). Could even be a lengthy arrangement if it were a lengthy campaign.

My knowledge of fluff isn't great in this area in truth - and it doesn't really apply to the Knight House I play either in many ways. I really should read the Imperial Knight novels that are out, as I imagine they fill in a few of the gaps as pertains to the operation of your average Knight House.

Edited by Stray

I can get on board with the idea it's not normal for house troops to go off to war.

However sometimes needs must I woukd think, an allied planet calls for help from a blood debt, the world itself is under attack, or various other reasons to do so limited by the imagination.

For me, it's basically down to being cool to convert, and competative for the army to include the guard battalion.

Absolutely. Duncan 'two-thin-coats' Rhodes has a wonderful Knight army that has 'household retainer' infantry in it, in much the same way. It looks great, and it feels fluffier than just dumping a vanilla guard or Skitarii detachment on the board. I'm all for it.

It's just there's an interesting thought exercise as to how a house would actually generally operate in practice. 

My skitarii,serve the sacristan,and protect the knight(the machine),while my household troops act as bodyguards for the pilot the lord on the field. The sacristan(techpriest) provides repair with his thralls,and the skitarii,bubble wrap him as he does his work .Ostensibly they the skitarii,add some extra dakka,and hopefully keep the opponent off balance,as the house hold troops bring some heavy weapon goodness. Just a thought.

So a bit of warhammer in work inbetween paperwork, started the first house guard who's obviously been through the wars a little.

Still some clean up and greenstuffing needed, but it's not too bad.

I have learned the empire torsos are a lot slimmer than skitarii, so the ones to come posed with a rifle will need bulking out a little before arms goes in.

Til then, whatcha think?

RTXw14n.jpg

CmJr5dQ.jpg

FsqFYtA.jpg

I just bought the mechanicus knight bundle from FW. Once the new castellan and armigers drop my mech knights should be a nuce substantial force.

I know the armigers arent the best rules wise but they arent terrible surely?

I was thinking the van saar models would make excellent knight house skitarrii or retainers? Failung that just add a couple of squads of slitarrii vanguards.

Oh I completely love the Armiger model, it's why I took four of them.

The rules are ok, they're just 80-100 points too heavy.

Hopefully the codex sorted that though.

And I had thought about van Sara, but went lowtech household rather than hi-tech.

I still might do a squad of veterans/pilots but they might look really out of place.

And I had thought about van Sara, but went lowtech household rather than hi-tech.

I still might do a squad of veterans/pilots but they might look really out of place.

First off, love the conversions. But unless they get some special rules I don't think armigers are ever going to be that great. It's something I've discussed before but a contemptor dread with the multimelta is 167 points, now the armigers is overall better than that (althought the dread has some things going for it). GW aren't great at pricing stuff that can multitask so if the codex drops and they're less than 200 points with the extra melta, I'd be absolutely shocked.

First off, love the conversions. But unless they get some special rules I don't think armigers are ever going to be that great. It's something I've discussed before but a contemptor dread with the multimelta is 167 points, now the armigers is overall better than that (althought the dread has some things going for it). GW aren't great at pricing stuff that can multitask so if the codex drops and they're less than 200 points with the extra melta, I'd be absolutely shocked.

I don't worry about effective choices, other armies of mine can do that.

The knights are for lining up, curling up my hand to use as a bugle to make a "duh diru!!!" Charge noise and then away they go.

A 3-2 win/loss record from Tos wasn't a bad start though

I don't worry about effective choices, other armies of mine can do that.

The knights are for lining up, curling up my hand to use as a bugle to make a "duh diru!!!" Charge noise and then away they go.

A 3-2 win/loss record from Tos wasn't a bad start though

You did really well imho, especially given you were running a Knight list.

It was especially nice to see a Styrix in your line up, and it was a canny choice. I think they're a very overlooked little Knight in truth. The weapon options are deceptive, but that Volkite cannon especially actually really performs - it actually outperforms everything else we have (excepting the Porphyon) against most T7 targets, and remains competitive against all other targets (it only really drops one wound average behind the Thermal cannon against anything heavier). Add in the improved invuln and it's ability to completely negate cover saves and you've a very nasty little Knight that really should get more attention I think :)

I was definitely pleasantly surprised with how well your knights did and I agree that the styrix looks pretty (although that might be because I really don't like the other FW knights). I just really hope that a pure IK list can patch most weaknesses without going to FW.