Primaris Units/ vehicles, wishtheory list

Triszin

II for one would like to see a Primaris get a x3 str power fist.

(it has a rocket integrated into the elbow).

in all seriousness.

a question I would like feed back on, as it relates to this.

What unit types are the Primaris missing?

* reuirements

- must be a unique niche that has purpose.

- cannot be a 1 to 1 variant of 40k "astartes".

- can be a hybrid of 30k legion and 40k astartes squads. ( Incepters are destroyers merged with assault marines)

right now we have

Tactical:

- intercessors ( hybrid legion tactical)

heavy suppport

- helblasters (hybrid legion tactical/ devastator squad)

elite:

- agressors ( hybrid Long fang/devastator/Centurion)

- reivers ( hybrid legion era terror troops, 40k scouts)

Fast attack:

- inceptors ( Destroyers, assualt/landspeeder)

captain:

- gravis armor ( a half way between marine and terminator armor captain)

dreadnaught:

- redemptor (hybrid leviathan and standard template dread, cooks the pilot at a slightly slower rate than a leviathan, but lacks the survivability)

vehicle:

- Repulsor ( a hybrid jack of all trades, master of none. transport capacity reminiscent of a razor back, hull plating of a land raider, offensive capabilites between a predator and a crusader. capable of orbital insertions**)

I think ALL PRIMARIS VEHCILES, will require that. the capability of orbital insertions.

* I think (Repulsor tech) will be integrated into many primaris units. even non vehicle.

- as in, a (repulsor shield: adds +1 Toughness, reduces incoming shots by 1 ap to (a minimum of 0), that also reduces charge distance., imagine this on a squad of primaris cqc marines) and importantly, distinguishes itself from a storm shield, and fills a completely different roll.

----------------------------

so what are we missing, and what do we think GW, will realistically fill the void with?

The Heavy Plasma Incinerators on the other hand are 36" range and S8 (S9), and are Heavy 1 (D2)

- Not the classic lascannon but deadly.

The Astraeus is a super-heavy tank

- Forege World so not cheap but legal

I get you though. Dedicated versions of the Repulsor, one transport, one tank would be nice but apparently Primaris are the breeding ground for inefficient hybrids :(

Really don't understand lack of some kind of Primaris melee weapon though? Something that plays off that supposed superior strength.

The Astraeus needs a point drop to around 480 with all upgrades, imo.

The model is amazing but it's so big! I'd like for smaller, dedicated Tank units.

if you were to keep the same appearance roughly, but shrink the astraues by 40-60% and make it plastic.

it would make a fine main battle tank.

I was thinking

Primaris " terminator"

- I think it will be a hybrid between a Centurion/terminator and a dreadnaught.

- a big beefy tanky thing

I'd love getting my hands on an Astraeus but I really don't know how I'd fit it into a list <3k. I'd rather take two Repulsors I think. Also huge chunk of resin for lots of money so eh.

Yeah it needs a big point drop. Frankly it's easier for me to transport my Castellan and it's far more powerful in game than the Astraeus.

If it was costed at 480 flat, or under, with all upgrades - then yes, potentially we could work it in. Marines have nice auras that can boot it without use of strats. Really it should be 450!

What unit types are the Primaris missing?

* reuirements

- must be a unique niche that has purpose.

- cannot be a 1 to 1 variant of 40k "astartes".

- can be a hybrid of 30k legion and 40k astartes squads. ( Incepters are destroyers merged with assault marines)

right now we have

Tactical:

- intercessors ( hybrid legion tactical)

heavy suppport

- helblasters (hybrid legion tactical/ devastator squad)

elite:

- agressors ( hybrid Long fang/devastator/Centurion)

- reivers ( hybrid legion era terror troops, 40k scouts)

Fast attack:

- inceptors ( Destroyers, assualt/landspeeder)

captain:

- gravis armor ( a half way between marine and terminator armor captain)

dreadnaught:

- redemptor (hybrid leviathan and standard template dread, cooks the pilot at a slightly slower rate than a leviathan, but lacks the survivability)

vehicle:

- Repulsor ( a hybrid jack of all trades, master of none. transport capacity reminiscent of a razor back, hull plating of a land raider, offensive capabilites between a predator and a crusader. capable of orbital insertions**)

I think ALL PRIMARIS VEHCILES, will require that. the capability of orbital insertions.

* I think (Repulsor tech) will be integrated into many primaris units. even non vehicle.

- as in, a (repulsor shield: adds +1 Toughness, reduces incoming shots by 1 ap to (a minimum of 0), that also reduces charge distance., imagine this on a squad of primaris cqc marines) and importantly, distinguishes itself from a storm shield, and fills a completely different roll.

----------------------------

so what are we missing, and what do we think GW, will realistically fill the void with?

Here's some ideas:

TROOPS:

- Breacher/assault marine hybrid (New armor variant inspired by MK III. Chainsword + multiple patterns of shotgun that can be fired in close combat. Can take either jump packs or boarding shields, but not both. Sarge can take power weapons and a melta bomb equivalent.)

ELITES:

-A catch-all shooty/assault terminator hybrid. (I really like the idea of greatsword wielding terminators that somebody brought up earlier. Maybe work in something akin to a Custodes sentinel blade so they have some shooting? Alternatively take a Cawl Pattern Storm BolterTM that is like Assault 3 ap -1 or something, and a power weapon of your choice. Can deep strike via teleport).

FAST:

- Some sort of power armored-forward deploy unity akin to Legion Recon Squads or Scouts. Think Ratlings in Power Armor. Or maybe something like a Legion Seeker Squad? Basically a combo of Sternguard and Scouts.

- Grav Bikes with lances. Dedicated close combat.

HEAVY:

Land Raider-esque Repulsor variants. Except instead of more guns, more durability and the ability to run things over in close combat. Maybe with a stratagem similar to "Crush Them" like in the Guard Codex.

TRANSPORTS:

-Land Speeder Storm-like hover transport for power armored dudes. Think like an imperial version of a Drukhari Raider or Venom.

- Drop Pod + Land Raider Access (I'll admit this is more of a selfish wish than the rest. I just want my pods relevant again lmao!).

As a secondary thought: WIll there ever be Primaris equivalents of Chapter specific units like Death Coompany + Sanguinary Guard, Ravenwing + Deathwing, Wulfen, etc.?

I view primaris falling to flaws/curses of the chapter, they will already be represented by their current flaw induced statline.

primaris have fallen to the curse of the wulfen, and they'll just have the same stats/loadout.

I like your idea, that Primaris vehciles will get "crushing advance" and just do mortal wounds with repulsor tech.

-----------------

Fast attack:

Insert ip specifcname - Hybrid Legion era drop pod/ 40k landspeeder/razorback

- a landspeeder replacement that is inserted just like standard drop pods

- can only carry marines , or primaris infantry ( cap at 5 model to transport)

-

insert ip specific name - New drop pod ( warp fall drop pod)

new drop pod, is updated and design to become what it was intended to be, before the galaxy got "used" to them.

Now the drop pods are teleported into orbit, while accelerating at speeds that surpass the old models. making what was nigh impossible to intercept, all but impossible to do so.

Once the drop pod lands, its repulsor plating becomes active, and crushes everything beneath it, and the plating moves to create barrier partians in which the marines can fire out of at elevated fire positions.

( think of the tide wall, but instead it moves at 4" and causes mortal wounds to anything within 2")

making the drop pods become a slow moving fortifcation for marines, or area denial systems.

drop pods have an alternate loadout for automated defense systems.

acting as emergency re-enforcement systems, to help stem the tide of hoards.

( I too am trying to find a use for drop pods)

I think Primaries Jetbikes would be terrific, especially if visually similar to the MkIV FW bikes - sleeker, y'know.

----

Primaris Scouts - e.g. Normal scouts, but with *new models*, scouts but sleeker and also more rugged. Helmets too! Maybe even have them fill in the Devastator role, with a wider selection of heavy/interesting weapons to play with (get some webbers and conversion beamer in there!). Niche filled because backfield/flanking support doesn't need to be super tough, so single wound and 4+ save is vulnerable *but*, with bigger more urgent targets, they aren't high priority to shoot at.

Primaris Landspeeder - as others say, a faster/smaller gunship with orbital insertion, 5+ transport capacity, and so like a flying razorback. Again - make the guns interesting!

Primaris Thunderhawk - the opportunity only comes around once in a blue moon ;)

Guest MistaGav

Primaris Thunderhawk - the opportunity only comes around once in a blue moon :wink:

Primaris already have an equivalent to that called the Overlord. It's described in the DI book a bit like a Corvus Blackstar but bigger and meant to make the Thunderlawk look like a toy. I suspect we will see a big model from FW for that one.

Honestly, anything would be good. I hate this limbo.

GW claim Primaris are not to replace OGMarines, but then all releases and artwork feature primaris heavily.

I have stopped my Grey Talons and my BT, because I don't know which direction are we going with this. Do I buy those bikes and land speeders? do I wait another month for the eventual Primaris unit that will sorta do the same thing?

I don't want to spend money on a range that will not receive future support.

I can't imagine regular marines will receive any updates beyond FW or 30k units.

Primaris aren't a replacement for existing Marines, but they absolutely are the new main focus of the Studio.

GW took the Astartes line as far as it could, it's actually overblown at this point with multiple units of only minor variations. Primaris are a fresh opportunity for new models and developments not tied to the past.

It would have been much, much worse if these new models were just a redesigned look for the Astartes line. Imagine the reaction of people who'd feel the need to update their existing models to the new size! There was a lot of push back when the bases went to 32mm for Marines, a lot of people were angry about that!

What I would say to people: Use this time to slowly build up your Primaris collections, get them painted. When the new releases come it will be much easier to add a few units to an existing force than painting a whole army in one go. It's what I've done!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see more standard astartes models at some point, I suspect there was enough backlash that GW will have second guessed themselves, could even be part of why we havent seen anything new for primaris in a year. (excluding the unique lieutenants)

I think Primaries Jetbikes would be terrific, especially if visually similar to the MkIV FW bikes - sleeker, y'know.

----

Primaris Scouts - e.g. Normal scouts, but with *new models*, scouts but sleeker and also more rugged. Helmets too! Maybe even have them fill in the Devastator role, with a wider selection of heavy/interesting weapons to play with (get some webbers and conversion beamer in there!). Niche filled because backfield/flanking support doesn't need to be super tough, so single wound and 4+ save is vulnerable *but*, with bigger more urgent targets, they aren't high priority to shoot at.

Primaris Landspeeder - as others say, a faster/smaller gunship with orbital insertion, 5+ transport capacity, and so like a flying razorback. Again - make the guns interesting!

Primaris Thunderhawk - the opportunity only comes around once in a blue moon :wink:

Primaris scouts should probably have the standard primaris statline of 2 wounds and 2 attacks base, but with a 4+ save assuming there ever is primaris scouts (GW confirmed there are not in the lore currently via the official warhammer 40k facebook page)

Primaris landspeeder could be interesting, personally I'd like to see something like the landspeeder storm but for primaris (say it can carry 5 primaris, make it super fast and pretty fragile with a limited amount of dakka)

Primaris Thunderhawk - as mentioned, in the lore there is the Overlord.

Apple has taught us that you shouldn't always listen to consumers lol

I remember when tiny phones with long battery life was all people wanted, then apple released a big phone with a short batter life and changed the landscape. Primaris should be the focus. Haters will hate, but eventually they'll accept them fully.

I think as well there will still be some regular marine releases in future. There already has been small releases this year and last year in the form of the space marine heroes series 1 and 2, which will be seeing a rest of the world release.

It would be easy for them to still release updated versions of older pre-cad marine kits. They already have newer cad files for bikes and terminators from several chapter specific kits, they just need to remove some iconography and add a few bits for a generic marine release.

They would sell loads of them like with any marine kit, they should just do it.

Also, equating the difference between classic marines/Primaris marines with the difference between basic phones/smartphones is false equivalence.

Space Marine heroes was supposed to be a regional thing. I would not count it as support for the OG range. It's only getting added because of the huge demand by fans.

What small releases did we have this year for 40kiniature wise for OGmarines?

Yeah but it’s going rest of the world now because of the huge demand. This tells us there is still demand for regular marine models :)

That’s the small release I am talking about. The series 1 models should come out in the rest of the world this year considering we have just seen the new packaging (its different from the japan packaging)

I’m sure there will be more series in future.

I wouldn't count the heroes stuff as indication of specific demand for old marine models.

I would say they're proof of a demand for unique models.

I say this as ive no desire to buy any regular marine kits, but want those models.

But yeah, either way I think we'll see at least a few more regular marine releases over the next 12-24 months, but I also think we'll see new primaris stuff at the same time.

Archived