Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

2. If you make me choose, I'll take the 13th if they come with heresy era death guard scale models

Is there any evidence that 30K Marines were bigger? Look at the Mk3 and Mk4 plastics, they are the same size as 40K Marines IIRC. Death Guard are larger because they are bloated with disease (and they wanted the models not to look weedy in comparison to the Primaris Marines they were released alongside).

In the lore the heretic Astartes refer to them as thin bloods and weaker than their ancestors. I am told some of the new FW stuff (namely the Varagyr) are as large as the DG. I doubt GW will come out and say that 40k Marines are weaker/smaller directly. That would cause a whole lot of anger from more than a few groups. So they will keep it snarky remarks from heretics.

2. If you make me choose, I'll take the 13th if they come with heresy era death guard scale models

Is there any evidence that 30K Marines were bigger? Look at the Mk3 and Mk4 plastics, they are the same size as 40K Marines IIRC. Death Guard are larger because they are bloated with disease (and they wanted the models not to look weedy in comparison to the Primaris Marines they were released alongside).
Nope no evidence anywhere. Just hoping that going forward if old marines get new kits they're a bit more sized up to bridge the gap in scale. Pure wishlisting from my part.

The Varagyr kit from 30k FW is massive though, bigger than primaris but that's so dependent on the sculptor that I'd read nothing into it:

axej5Rc.jpg

It's one of the reasons I'm so sad Rob left forgeworld. The fur aside, they have great details and the scale is fantastic so we could have gotten also big Deathsworn.

And we shouldn't pin the fur only on him. There's a lot of quality checks in which that should have been flagged and make the kit be a solid 8 out of 10 as it would be with Russ like quality of fur.

My varagyr arrived after I got offshore so am interested to see how they go.

As for Rob

[Hidden]

Even though he left the deathsworn were supposed to be mostly done no?

Therefore the template should be there for another artist to finish off

[\hidden]

I expect nothing beyond dex cards dice and a Lt plus upgrade sprue

From the pics the Varagyr had lots of issues past that aweful fur. The poses make that look like they are tiptoeing about and the heads didn't seem to be inside the armour. There were others but they where my biggest issues with it (and that 'fur').

They could be put down to bad photography and unflattering paint job. As some one who has their hands on some Grieux, what's your opinion of the models? How hard is it to get them looking good?

From the pics the Varagyr had lots of issues past that aweful fur. The poses make that look like they are tiptoeing about and the heads didn't seem to be inside the armour. There were others but they where my biggest issues with it (and that 'fur').

They could be put down to bad photography and unflattering paint job. As some one who has their hands on some Grieux, what's your opinion of the models? How hard is it to get them looking good?

I personally absolutely love them. The size is great, the armor takes so many cues from the one of Russ, the faces are beautiful imo and the wolf details nuanced and not over the top. That said, they do need a lot of work, lemme explain:

1st- Fur is horrible, there's no way of getting away from that. I first tried shaving it off with an exacto knife and sculpting but the position of the pelts makes it very difficult to sculpt comfortably and with quality, so I instead chopped it all off and used kfstudios loin cloths:

vi4Aco3.jpg

The issue with that is that the original fur overlaps with the armour plates in some areas so you need to restore parts of the legs but very minimal.

2nd - Heads are sculpted in so if you want more than 5 models either you're okay with twins or you need a dremel to carve like I did here:

F8l3dZv.jpg

d4Uf6Lr.jpg

I don't think it's possible without a dremel and it needs some reworking of the armour as you can see.

3rd - Arms have pretty much the most pointless load out but you can use regular cataphractii arms for Claw and fist combo as in the first picture. If you want to salvage the pads it's a pain because you gotta again shave them off from the Varagyr arms. Having done it in redoing it with plastic arms because I like more the plastic scale for the large Varagyr.

4th - Regarding the poses, there's only one I find awkward but you can make it work like he's lunging left, but I avoided having to by buying an extra body and putting a torso in different legs to have another model.

All in all, the kit definitely needs some work but when you've done it they look amazing imo. I will take more pictures when I'm done but here are some current WIP:

3KKkhhz.jpg

4IYYO65.jpg

cbneHPa.jpg

HK7P6Pi.jpg

And Russ to showcase similar design identity:

OGM9uDx.jpg

I always thought Black Templars were one of the most ignored and bad supported by GW... but now I'm starting to worry about SW...

I hope SW will be a new step in the SM era, maybe implementing some new rules as Flesh Wounds (?) And then all SM being upgraded in CA2018

Lol. Dont say entitled crap like this. We're a spoiled faction and get new stuff all the time. Curse of the Wulfen wasn't so long ago and the year previous that was another massive release.

A quiet 2017 and a new codex in 2018 doesn't make you mistreated.

I always thought Black Templars were one of the most ignored and bad supported by GW... but now I'm starting to worry about SW...

I hope SW will be a new step in the SM era, maybe implementing some new rules as Flesh Wounds (?) And then all SM being upgraded in CA2018

Lol. Dont say entitled crap like this. We're a spoiled faction and get new stuff all the time. Curse of the Wulfen wasn't so long ago and the year previous that was another massive release.

Except the curse of the wulfen came so late in the edition, we had what, a couple months before the new edition rolled out and made all that new shiny worthless...I'm still more than a bit bitter on that topic. I feel how GW handled the timing of CotW was about as bad as they are handling primaris and our codex...so perhaps I am expecting too much. I'm sure this will turn into a rant if I continue, so I will simply state that CotW was more of a Lucy and the football vs charlie brown moment than GW showing us any kind of real appreciation.

Except the curse of the wulfen came so late in the edition, we had what, a couple months before the new edition rolled out and made all that new shiny worthless...I'm still more than a bit bitter on that topic. I feel how GW handled the timing of CotW was about as bad as they are handling primaris and our codex...so perhaps I am expecting too much. I'm sure this will turn into a rant if I continue, so I will simply state that CotW was more of a Lucy and the football vs charlie brown moment than GW showing us any kind of real appreciation.

We had it for over a year. It was released early 2016.

Not really worthless, wulfen are still some of, if not, the best CC in the game. Not the point though I guess...

Wulfen I like. I was referring to the timing of when CotW came out. GW had to know by then that 7e was drawing to a close, yet they still did a final push for 7e sales. Not long after, they announce a whole new edition, giving that purchase a VERY limited lifespan. I got the collectors edition as a gift, and the only book used at all was the thin booklet that had the SW formation data in it. The "wulfen dice" were a train wreck, considering they were unusable unless you only ran a single unit of wulfen (which given the wulfen pack rules you really didn't want to do). They are making it easier and easier to just say f' it and move on to a different hobby for a while.

if you want to complain about purchase length, look no further than the poor folks who invested in gathering storm.

it lasted a year, which was about how long the first 7e codex lasted for. that's not an insignificant amount of time.

yeah,  i'm not especially compelled by your argument, gherrick. the hard-done-by-routine is pretty exhausting. i felt fortunate to get a second round of model kits and rules for them, especially after i thought the venerable dreadnought kit plus the stormwolf was a pretty great release.

I still don’t know the models coming with the codex but there are quite a few possibilities besides Russ, why not plastic Njarl, Lucas, Wolf Priest, Ragnar or any of the other finecast only models that are still hanging on?

I was told Russ was coming with the codex months ago but not from the same person that gave me the pre order date so I place less weight on it and there has been a lot of wish listing about Russ from various websites. A lot of this can be recycling Chinese whispers once a click bait site has heard it things go around this community quickly.

I’d be happy to get a playable and solidly competitive codex no matter what else comes with it. I don’t need OP No1 status, just something that works well with more than a single build. GW do have a bit of form on getting later codex releases to work better than the early ones but it’s not nailed on. Keep the fires burning in the hearth and have faith in the Allfather :)

I am doubting an August 25th release date. August 4th is kill team stuff/night haunt. Then we have 3 weeks to release Titanicus, some remaining night haunt stuff, house cawdor, more AOS/stormcasts stuff supposedly, and is there any more kill team to be released? It seems like too much to also include a codex in there. I am still thinking September release, early September.

I am doubting an August 25th release date. August 4th is kill team stuff/night haunt. Then we have 3 weeks to release Titanicus, some remaining night haunt stuff, house cawdor, more AOS/stormcasts stuff supposedly, and is there any more kill team to be released? It seems like too much to also include a codex in there. I am still thinking September release, early September.

GW give preorder dates now when talking about a release. The 25th is the pre order date not release date as far as I am aware

GW give preorder dates now when talking about a release. The 25th is the pre order date not release date as far as I am aware

That's seems more reasonable to release 1st week of September.

Chaos Space Marines had to wait from October 2012 until the 8th edition index to get an update in June 2017 and that wasn’t even a Codex! True they had a BL and KDK supplement along the way but a near 5 year wait was not an unusual thing in 40k until 8th edition arrived. Hell CSM completely missed out 7th edition updates so a little patience might be worth adding to your oath of moment papers while you wait your chance to strike back for the Vlka Fenryka in 8th edition

So word is our preorders start Aug 25th. This thread is for links to rumors to keep things clean. The other thread we have has wishlisting, theories etc, but this will be just rumors that are running the news sites. Please post them as you see this, and keep it from spiraling.

Archived