Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Thanks Lord Nord, glad you posted that.

So (as I usually do) if Bjorn is your warlord, his "automatic pass morale" is no longer an AOE but he gets to increase his "re-roll hit rolls of 1" to a 9" range .... that is nice.

Then if he kills the warlord (not that likely) everyone in 6" gets to increase the range of their abilities by 3".  Again, nice.

HDL

So it shows that our reivers have an option for power sword but does not indicate how they get it. The vanilla marine reivers do not have access to power swords. Sounds like we need a FAQ/errata thread :)

I agree. It feels like GW will only use that "policy" when convenient. It's their company, they can do what they want.

I'm annoyed that they completely removed datasheets for quite a few of my models, without really addressing why. I started in 7e, but was that the first time our priests had access to bikes? We even had a priest formation in 7e, and we could put them all on bikes then. It boggles my mind how each edition can have such a radical shift in available models without some kind of link to the lore.

I think editions and codex are only make for selling X or Y products. That is why the system is always introducing rotation in what is broken. Flyers, SM bikes, Landspeeders... all of them had it edition and were fantastic...

Remember when every SM player run Rhino/Razorspam, then many bikes with White Scars, now it is UM or RG...

No fluffy question it is only reading about players collection and trying to increase the sales.

I honestly don't believe that is GWs fault.. a large portion of the blame needs to be placed on the competitive WH40k community. Just read enough of this thread and ultimately you're going to see the conversation default to what is competitive and what isn't. GW is not building the Codexes for them all to be streamlined for competitive events and formats. No one can stop 40k players from abusing whatever units or tactics or armies that they can to give themselves an edge. It does suck to be one of the armies who are not top tier powered... I can agree that GW spends a little bit too much time making some armies really powerful in order to sell models. At least in this edition they are doing the chapter approved and realigning things once they get to crazy. 

On the codex notes, I really wish they'd given the Great Company Ancient access to Jump Packs. That would have been a great and cheap unit to fill out the elite slot with.

So, a cataphractii lord, with saga of the bear combo melts a frost axe looks like fun.

Honestly really disappointed that we can't upgrade our squad leaders to the other termi variants.

My only minor complaint.

So it shows that our revivers have an option for power sword but does not indicate how they get it. The vanilla marine reivers do not have access to power swords. Sounds like we need a FAQ/errata thread :)

If true... New favorite unit.

looks like a copy and paste error from the wolf scout entry.

So it shows that our revivers have an option for power sword but does not indicate how they get it. The vanilla marine reivers do not have access to power swords. Sounds like we need a FAQ/errata thread :smile.:

If true... New favorite unit.

looks like a copy and paste error from the wolf scout entry.

*shhhh*

we keep, except no blades, only power axe

So, a cataphractii lord, with saga of the bear combo melts a frost axe looks like fun.

Honestly really disappointed that we can't upgrade our squad leaders to the other termi variants.

My only minor complaint.

Yeah this is annoying for the SM, BA and DA codex also. I'd love a Tartaros captain mainly because it would look fantastic, and it's easy to convert from the plastic kit or the FW models available.

I'm leaning towards tartaros WG with a plasma, reaper and all fists supporting arjac. Its a lot of s7 coming down in DS, with arjac chucking his hammer too. Still annoyed they can take wolf claws, because LC are so terrible compared to the other options.

My only minor complaint.

Yeah this is annoying for the SM, BA and DA codex also. I'd love a Tartaros captain mainly because it would look fantastic, and it's easy to convert from the plastic kit or the FW models available.

No it would look wolftastic !!!

I am not thrilled that we lost twin Autocannons on our Dreadnoughts, since I converted a few and bought them from FW when they were available. I guess it makes sense since none of the Dreadnought models come with them, oh well life goes on.

I am not thrilled that we lost twin Autocannons on our Dreadnoughts, since I converted a few and bought them from FW when they were available. I guess it makes sense since none of the Dreadnought models come with them, oh well life goes on.

All Index options for gear can still he used. So don't worry about your coversions.

I think I caught a small mistake in the codex. The armoury of Fenris still has the Great Wolf Claws as D6 instead of 3 Dmage. I found it out while doing a little excercise for myself of copying the units and weapons so I get to memorize them a bit better. And the more I do the more I think that Keen Senses is probably one of the strongest stratagems I've seen. The ability to make so mobile our units it is great. And we might have some surprising range. Inceptors, both plasma and bolter, for example, now can advance alll over the place and shoot with no penalty. Our objective campers in Intercessors can suddenyl reposition even with Stalker Bolt Rifles. Reivers will suprisingly mobile with grapnel launchers and bolt carabines. Tartaros blastma blasters will have an interesting range. Redemptors suddenly can move and reposition with a huge amount of firepower. Combis can be used with both profiles without penalty. WG if one wants a very elite and expensive unit, advancing meltas will give a huge threat range (in bikes a 32" range for melta might get a few opponents flatfooted). As the Land Speeder Storm with Melta and Astartes shotguns gettting suddenly in ranges. Or getting a Hellfire Shells or Flakk Missiles into unexpected angles with that open topped rule. Ironwolves suddenly are incredible shots, with Predators, Whirlwinds and such being able to fire. The more I think about it the more I think that we will be an unexpectedly mobile force getting us into places and firing without penalties to surprise of ourselves and enemies.

I think I caught a small mistake in the codex. The armoury of Fenris still has the Great Wolf Claws as D6 instead of 3 Dmage. I found it out while doing a little excercise for myself of copying the units and weapons so I get to memorize them a bit better. And the more I do the more I think that Keen Senses is probably one of the strongest stratagems I've seen. The ability to make so mobile our units it is great. And we might have some surprising range. Inceptors, both plasma and bolter, for example, now can advance alll over the place and shoot with no penalty. Our objective campers in Intercessors can suddenyl reposition even with Stalker Bolt Rifles. Reivers will suprisingly mobile with grapnel launchers and bolt carabines. Tartaros blastma blasters will have an interesting range. Redemptors suddenly can move and reposition with a huge amount of firepower. Combis can be used with both profiles without penalty. WG if one wants a very elite and expensive unit, advancing meltas will give a huge threat range (in bikes a 32" range for melta might get a few opponents flatfooted). As the Land Speeder Storm with Melta and Astartes shotguns gettting suddenly in ranges. Or getting a Hellfire Shells or Flakk Missiles into unexpected angles with that open topped rule. Ironwolves suddenly are incredible shots, with Predators, Whirlwinds and such being able to fire. The more I think about it the more I think that we will be an unexpectedly mobile force getting us into places and firing without penalties to surprise of ourselves and enemies.

I was just feeling this as well. It feels like for the most part, shooting got improved far more than melee. That being said, melee is no slouch although delivery is still a problem with almost no improvement to advance and charges apart from what we already have.  

That being said, melee is now extremely glorious, as per my game yesterday, a group of just 6 Grey Hunters managed to MOW down a squad of guardsmen in just ONE turn. Normally it takes me 2-3 turns just to get rid of T shirt saves, due to the amount of 1s and 2s I roll.  I don't know mathhammer, but I got a feeling we may see a SLIGHT improvement in marine vs marine combat. Blood Angels may have their +1 to wound but first of all, they have to HIT first.

For the moment, my patience and usage of Long Fangs has been rewarded. That being said, I'm not going to rely on my Long Fangs to carry the day. The strategem is to improve their tank busting abilities, and kill the pesky Raven Guard and other bullroar -1 to hit nonsense from long range, enough for the grey Hunters and Intercessors to finish the job.

One other thing to note: Power armoured Wolf Priest can finally get a Power Fist. No more being stuck with a Crozius. I think with a Jump Pack with Saga of the Beastslayer. it'll be far more easier to hit, Wound, kill the pesky Rhino and then activate the Deed of Legend. I'm going to use Wolf priest more now. The strategem of rerolling wounds on another character near the wolf priest isn't bad either, probably best combo with another Wolf Lord or battle leader to reroll all wounds.

I'm planning to model my squad leaders as Tartaros anyway :smile.: just bought the deathsroud terminators to do so :smile.:

I thought Deathshroud, like all Death Guard terminators, are Cataphractii.

In any case, the squad leader upgrades specifically says Wolf Guard Terminator leader, that is normal terminators. It doesn't say Wolf Guard Cataphractii Leader or Wolf Guard Tartaros leader.

That's right, Death Guard Terminators are Cataphractii, not Tartaros. Hence why they got a 4++ and halve the distance rolled for advance and are even slower than regular Death Guard infantry. ^^

Archived