Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Yeah it isn't that hard. In a single phase it would imply almost perfect rolls. But it is acumulative, so if the opponent stays omncombat by your next turn you can easily get it. And with the Wulfenstone it is easier. I really like it.

So after spending the evening and this morning diving into the codex, for me personally I think its a fantastic update for the Space Wolves. Almost everything added rules wise Saga's, Stratagems and the like fit the lore so very well. 

The only real let down for me is the Wolf Scouts not getting infiltrate back, it would have been nice to get something more rules wise to show the veteran/elite status within the Rout.

Over all though I am extremely pleased with this codex and cannot wait to get my Wolves back on the table.

I also noticed that the teleport homer is listed as "0 points" under the "other wargear" list at the back of the book, but nobody in the Codex has the option to take a teleport homer. And for that matter, what does a teleport homer even do now that teleporting units don't scatter?

Teleport Homers are standard equipment in Terminator Armor. All Terminator units can perform the Teleport Strike ability using this internal piece of gear.

This is incorrect.  The rules for teleport homer are not in the datasheet for any of the units in the space wolves codex.  It is noticeably missing from the entries for Wolf Guard Terminators, Wolf Lord in Terminator Armor, Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Terminator Armor, Rune Priest in Terminator Armor, Wolf Priest in Terminator Armor, as well as the entries for every other unit in the codex.

It is however listed (and only listed) under the "Other Wargear" table at the back of the book.

I don't have the Space Wolves Codex. I was explaining the Teleport Homer's function in general.

After doing some more Googling (I am still very new to 40K), it turns out that the Space Wolves have a very established prohibition against using teleporters. Thus why they have the Homers in their armor as standard equipment but lack the ability.

I see. I thought you were saying that all terminators have teleport homers. The fact is that the Vanilla ones do, but ours do not. Which isn't surprising. What surprises me is that teleport homer is listed as available for 0 points when nobody has rules that allow them to buy one.

So after spending the evening and this morning diving into the codex, for me personally I think its a fantastic update for the Space Wolves. Almost everything added rules wise Saga's, Stratagems and the like fit the lore so very well. 

The only real let down for me is the Wolf Scouts not getting infiltrate back, it would have been nice to get something more rules wise to show the veteran/elite status within the Rout.

Over all though I am extremely pleased with this codex and cannot wait to get my Wolves back on the table.

I love how we have so many options. It's like going to the buffet table. I'll go for the items which look the tastiest for the first plate then try some new things on the 2nd plate!

I'm slightly disappointed they didn't provide unique rules/stratagems for the companies. But not a deal breaker. 

Lol, loved the bit of lore about uppitty blood claws picking fights with primaris and wolf lords having them settle it with duels.

Like, lol at the primaris minding his own business and suddenly having to duel a blood claw, and lol, the blood claw stirring shut up and satisfied he's dragged the guy he doesn't like into a duel with him and then realizing he now has to fight a dude with a way better profile.

I also noticed that the teleport homer is listed as "0 points" under the "other wargear" list at the back of the book, but nobody in the Codex has the option to take a teleport homer. And for that matter, what does a teleport homer even do now that teleporting units don't scatter?

Teleport Homers are standard equipment in Terminator Armor. All Terminator units can perform the Teleport Strike ability using this internal piece of gear.

This is incorrect.  The rules for teleport homer are not in the datasheet for any of the units in the space wolves codex.  It is noticeably missing from the entries for Wolf Guard Terminators, Wolf Lord in Terminator Armor, Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Terminator Armor, Rune Priest in Terminator Armor, Wolf Priest in Terminator Armor, as well as the entries for every other unit in the codex.

It is however listed (and only listed) under the "Other Wargear" table at the back of the book.

I don't have the Space Wolves Codex. I was explaining the Teleport Homer's function in general.

After doing some more Googling (I am still very new to 40K), it turns out that the Space Wolves have a very established prohibition against using teleporters. Thus why they have the Homers in their armor as standard equipment but lack the ability.

I see. I thought you were saying that all terminators have teleport homers. The fact is that the Vanilla ones do, but ours do not. Which isn't surprising. What surprises me is that teleport homer is listed as available for 0 points when nobody has rules that allow them to buy one.

Ah - it turns out I'm wrong anyway. I managed to conflate two different teleport abilities into one. The Teleport Homer is an external piece of gear. If you have a Space Marines Codex, you can read about how it works in the datasheets for the Terminator Squad and Terminator Assault Squad (EDIT: Looks like you knew this already with that reference to vanilla termies). I was leafing through it last night trying to answer this question, but I saw the separate "Teleport Strike" listed under every other Terminator-armored unit and figured that was it for eighth-edition Terminator teleport rules. Instead, those two units I mentioned get the "Teleport Strike" ability AND the separate "Teleport Homer" ability (and it appears to be ONLY those two units, not the Cataphractii/Tartaros units or any of the "in Terminator Armor" variants). (EDIT: Again, it looks like I'm telling you stuff you already knew).

Yeah, since it's NOT an internal standard piece of gear like I thought, it really does make no sense for it to even be mentioned in the Space Wolves Codex unless they want to bring one along for decoration.

Lol, loved the bit of lore about uppitty blood claws picking fights with primaris and wolf lords having them settle it with duels.

Like, lol at the primaris minding his own business and suddenly having to duel a blood claw, and lol, the blood claw having to fight a dude with a way better profile.

BC: " OYE! BUCKET HEAD!"

BC: *throws keg at a primaris eating*

BC: " lets see how tough you are!"

- proceeds to punch the primaris wolf and brawl for a better part of an hour

- the bloodclaw broke his fist, and fractured his eye socket, but the primaris is just as messed up as the BC.

*both have to write on blackboards in ulriks conference room

It seems like even the high number of stratagems repeated from the Space Marines Codex isn't quite as raw a deal as it sounds. While it's true there is a lot of crossover, it's also true that the Space Marines Codex only came with 26 stratagems and, with seven of those being unique to different chapters, it means that each individual chapter (even the Ultramarines) only walked away with twenty that they could use. Meanwhile, the Space Wolves end up with twenty-seven. That's not nothing.

Ive seen people whining about our codex and they are flat wrong

Keen senses and chooser of the slain are insanely powerful because they say space wolves unit and friendly unit

that means a ton of stuff is possible including leviathans for keen senses or a freaking castellan knight for cots

For example...you can walk and fire 20 storm cannons and 3 hunter killers at BS2 at any target in range (rerolling 1s if WL or Bjorn around)

If they dont have agents of vect you will obliterate an army and can spread those 23 shots around to multiple units

I have to say I understand part of the unconformity. I think that wr uave a strong codex in our hads, and I personally really like it and the stratagems it gives us. I love the idea of how they handled the Sagas, and I like how fluffy I think the army will feel to play. Keen Senses, Chooser of the Slain, The Wolf's Eye, Seeking a Saga and Cloaked by the Storm are all extremely good and very powerful. And I absolutely love Hunter's Unleashed amd how it sunergyses with weapons and our way to play.

On the other hand I feel the additions to the codex in terms of units didn't add to that fluffy feeling. I'd say, for example, that for me the Great Company Champion. When read about it seemed like a great idea. A Champion of a Great Company. A way to "make" our own Arjac or Cannis. Awesome. What do we get? A vanilla Company Champion. With absolutely no flavour that represents a Great Company. From our Wolf Guard considered each one a champion on hisbown right, while we laugh at the standard designations if veterans and the normal way of the Codex, when we get to represent "10 of our 12" champions go ahead and say "Hey I think I arm myself like all the other Chamoions. I know out Chapter praises uniquness and each of us fight in our own ways with our chosen weapons, we mix amd match when the others adhere to the dusty book, but for me to represent my proud Brothers and traditions of the Aett I am going to go like every single Champion"... Really? Like, really? I'd enjoy converting and making a Champion, a Character that always is first to the fray and that challenges the enemies best fighters, but not when he feels so copy paste. And that feelingnis what I get from all additions to our Codex. The new TDAs suddenly forget to each fight in their own way and by doning an old TDA and they decide to all have the same weapons and fight the same way. They also forget how to join their Brothers in battle and even when a different suit would make sense for a pack, they can't use them. Wolf Scouts get on a bike and they can't take special weapons, the Pack Leader suddenly becomes.a better leader and WG stop caring about them (which means that our WSB get less equipment options than neophyte Bikes, so much for their veteran Status, who knew that being a veteram scout pack leader means you have less weapons than a regular scout). And so on. The additions feel lazy, copy pasted from other Codices and even an attempt to makes us more homegenous.

And the one new Wolf only addition for me feels a bit underwhelming. The Wulfen Dread from the rules feels less Wulfen tham the unit. While the unit advamces and charges, has more strength, attacks, movement, shrugs of wounds, fights even in death, drives other SW crazy, rerolls charges and such the Wulfen Dread... rerolls charges and moves more. What happened to the rest of the ferocity that the Cannis Helix gives? And for that we have BS of 5+(the way for the Wulfen Dread to keep costs down has mandatory weapons so either the Storm Bolters will do little work or you have to pay a lot of points for the Flamer), forget how to use his Smoke Launchers and has no FnP. I have to admit, I still want to run one, but it feels like it is missing a lot of the characteristics of the Wulfen.

And I am really disapointed in that all these new toys feel like regular Astartes and that have little relation for with the fluff.

With other complaints like the Blizzard Shield and the changes to the points (Wulfen Dread nerfed before hitting the table due to the increase to the Great Wolf Claw, Blizzard's nerf with almost no benefits points wise, WGBL nerf,etc.), and other things like the lore ignoring the Wolfapear, I see why some people are upset.

I really like the Codex. I am really hapoy it is here. And I think there will be a lot of things that I will enjoy to do and play. I keep thinking we have a lot of cool stuff. But there are weak parts to the Codex that could've been improved on.

OBEL is more like additional deployment phase, after the first round.

That might've been in previous editions but currently it is "at the end of any of your movement phases [...]" like other reinforcement rules. It happens during your Movement phase, not before the first round

OBEL is more like additional deployment phase, after the first round.

That might've been in previous editions but currently it is "at the end of any of your movement phases [...]" like other reinforcement rules. It happens during your Movement phase, not before the first round
That what I meant by "Additional deployment phase". But you are right, because you can not do normal movement after that.

I had my first game, 2k points SW vs Black Legion. He conceded in Turn 3. He couldn't kill my fun and fluffy list. I'd post it but the points values are not quite right. Basically ran 4 TWC, WL on TW with Rune Priest jet pack and wolf priest w/jet pack on one flank. Had Bjorn with 3 packs of 6 man GH in the middle and a stormwolf with 6 wulfen, njal and a wolf priest on the other flank. He had a metric ton of shooting.

The 3+ saved my bacon. Once I got the wulfen in close I wiped out a helbrute and then killed Abbadon with the fight twice stratagem. On the other side the TWC killed his other helbrute. My shooting killed off his contemptor. He actually could have kept going but sicne he hid all his oblits in 2nd and 3rd stories buildings away from my guys it would have been pointless.

...do i have to go back and add stormbolters to my shield dreads?

like, its part of the model now?

should I?

Now the Ven Dreads do carry a Storm Bolter (or Heavy Flamer) even with the shield as the replaent changed to exclude leaving out the Storm Bolter.

right. so its default. and that means  i have 3 models missing the default wargear.

:censored:, what am i going to do with the contemptor i was using as a counts-as-blizzard-shield dread? there's no mounts to put a storm bolter or flamer like the other two. edit: the answer is... nothing! the contemptor would have it in his fist, which is closed on the model, so no need to show it. *nods**nods. still gotta add it for  the other two, tho.

Archived