Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

What's the skinny on the Wulfen Dread? Is it basically the same as murderfang but non-character? Points?

20 points less than a naked venerable but no surprises other than what’s shown. There’s a cool strategem I hadn’t seen leak called wisdom of the ancients that gives a reroll 1’s aura for one phase but it can’t be used on murderfang or a wulfen dread, pretty sweet IMO.

Venerables with an axe/shield also get a storm bolter that can upgrade to a heavy flamer now so that’s awesome.

All and all it’s another sweet option for us IMO, cheaper than a venerable and faster but not as good WS. Definately a great distraction carnifex.

Wulfen Dred - 70 points(8power) Murderfang 170(9power)
One less WS. one less attack. one less Ld
Axe/claw+Sbolter. -> Axe or claw+Sbolter for shield+Sbolter
Sbolters trade for HFlamer.
Has murderlust but not the additionals attacks.

Brothers and Sisters. I got my hands on a copy of the codex a few days early.

Would you like to know anything from it or experience looking through it yourselves?

For Example.

Bjorn - Was 210 points ( 14 power ) but is now 180 points ( 12 power ).

Blizzard shield - 4+ inv now

Still no grav-weapons?

Would you like to know anything from it or experience looking through it yourselves?

For Example.

Still no grav-weapons?

Still no Grav.

For Example.

Still no grav-weapons?

Still no Grav.

Shame. That's the only royal SM chapter can't use it ...

For Example.

Still no grav-weapons?
Still no Grav.

Shame. That's the only royal SM chapter can't use it ...

I mean, besides the grav gun, we don't lose out on much. Out Helfrost pistol is better and cheaper than the grav pistol.

For Example.

Can you tell us what is going on with the Primaris Wolf Lord. The Primaris WGBL got some unique options. Hoping that the Wolf Lord did too.

For Example.

Can you tell us what is going on with the Primaris Wolf Lord. The Primaris WGBL got some unique options. Hoping that the Wolf Lord did too.

Primaris Wolf Lord is a Primaris captain with space wolf names for abilities. + Replace mastercrafted auto bolt rifle+bolt pistol with Powerfist and plasma pistol.

The Primaris battle leader is arguably in a worse position. Starts with power axe, bolt carbine and bolt pistol. You can trade axe and carbine for a power sword or mc Auto bold rifle or mc stalker bolt rifle.

Unless it's a miss print and they are meant to have other options.

Fen Wolves going up 2 ppm is a major let down and after some play testing they just aren't worth it. Not when I can splash guardsmen for half the points and more benefit.

The fact our scout bikes are 8ppm higher then their marine cousins just ticks me off. OBEL is worth one or two points max.

Wulfen hit like a truck...with the bevy of plus 1s to attack so do thunder wolves.

Rune priests and long fangs so far have proven to be solid choices. We do the marine shooting park better then most.

The 4++ is...a let down. Our dreads are still solid but losing that 3++ hurts. I understand the change but dont agree with it.

I still wish the helfrost mechanic had been revamped. It feels so superfluous as it stands.

Overall it's a good codex with good options. Better then vanilla marines and Dark Angels. On par with blood angels, but worse as a soup option.

Fen Wolves going up 2 ppm is a major let down and after some play testing they just aren't worth it. Not when I can splash guardsmen for half the points and more benefit.

Fen Wolves are 8ppm, down from 9ppm.

In chapter approved they dropped to 6ppm

In chapter approved they dropped to 6ppm

.. oh I forgot that existed.. - goes to compare from there-

Oo blizzard shields have dropped from 30ppm to 15 ppm.

Oo blizzard shields have dropped from 30ppm to 15 ppm.

That softens the blow of losing the 3++ slightly.

The great axe went up by 10 though . Still 3pts chapter on the venerable when the storm bolter factors in. I want that flamer though...

Durfast rerolls ranges attacks and negates cover. I can’t think of a use for this now that psy powers don’t roll to hit.

A Long Fang WGPL in TDA with cyclone missle launcher might not be a bad place for it. Especially true if you want to fire at a separate target from the rest of the Fangs so you won't be benefiting from the natural rerolls of 1s.

Durfast rerolls ranges attacks and negates cover. I can’t think of a use for this now that psy powers don’t roll to hit.

A Long Fang WGPL in TDA with cyclone missle launcher might not be a bad place for it. Especially true if you want to fire at a separate target from the rest of the Fangs so you won't be benefiting from the natural rerolls of 1s.

I think relics can only go on characters and PLs are not character in this edition. Might be mistaken though as I have not paid too much attention without a Codex to use over the year

I think relics can only go on characters and PLs are not character in this edition. Might be mistaken though as I have not paid too much attention without a Codex to use over the year
This is correct. Relics can onky be in characters.

Asibfor the Blizzard shield, while the underslunf weapon is nice, seeing it combined with th GFA means rhe net decrease for a Ven dread is maximum three points less than before. If you choose the heavy flamer you'd be paying 14 points more for rhe Ven Dread than before. And a Wulfen dread seems to be about 30 points less from what Im readinf with the Claw and shield. For the nerf on the shield, the Wulfen mighr be a better option.

Asibfor the Blizzard shield, while the underslunf weapon is nice, seeing it combined with th GFA means rhe net decrease for a Ven dread is maximum three points less than before. If you choose the heavy flamer you'd be paying 14 points more for rhe Ven Dread than before. And a Wulfen dread seems to be about 30 points less from what Im readinf with the Claw and shield. For the nerf on the shield, the Wulfen mighr be a better option.

It’s just different roles as I can see it. Sometimes I just need a distraction or character buffer, for that yea the wulfen would be more efficient. However once you factor in the cleave got a -1 the venerable dread is a way more reliably versatile option.

I think both will have a seat at the table. Plus like I said, there’s a new strat that allows you to give a +1 to hit auras on a non wulfen dread, so hat makes venerables more self sufficient and able to give support other than meatshield when you need it.

The Durafast on a Chaplain Dread with Lascannons anyone? :teehee:

There’s a cool strategem I hadn’t seen leak called wisdom of the ancients that gives a reroll 1’s aura for one phase but it can’t be used on murderfang or a wulfen dread, pretty sweet IMO.

That's been in the vanilla Marine Codex since release. ;)

It’s just different roles as I can see it. Sometimes I just need a distraction or character buffer, for that yea the wulfen would be more efficient. However once you factor in the cleave got a -1 the venerable dread is a way more reliably versatile option.

I think both will have a seat at the table. Plus like I said, there’s a new strat that allows you to give a +1 to hit auras on a non wulfen dread, so hat makes venerables more self sufficient and able to give support other than meatshield when you need it.

For the Axe the Ven is more reliable indeed, more so when they can be indeoendant in a pack withou Bkron thanks for Wisdom of the Ancients giving them rerolls of 1 to hit.

The Wulfen Dread I still believe will be with Claw and shield as that way is a bit cheaper. And the main reason I think we will see more Wulfen than Venerable is that they were mainly used for meat shields any way, and I don't know if Wisdom.is enough to justify them when the buff you can get in with a WL.

The venerable has slightly better durability and anti-tank, it is better against hordes but is quite a bit more expensive and slower. I can see how they are both useful inndifferent roles, but for the main reason they whete being taken, I think that a C&S Wulfen will start seeing more play than the Venerable

Archived