Think Tank: Hypothesizing SW Unit Combo's, Options, Etc.

Karack Blackstone

He means to use options from Index Imperium 1, where one scout and scout pack leader can take anything from Space Wolves Melee Weapons list. Power fist, thunderhammer, wolf claw, frost blade/axe... It's pretty strange but they can )

It says Imdex in because in the index a single Wolf Scout amd the Wolf Scout Pack Leader could take options from the Melee weapon list. Per the flow chart he we can purchase the gear on the Index. It seems like a cool odea for a surprise unit. At 119 it seems like a decent trade off. 11 TH attacks on a single unit is nice.

Also.made me upset to see that the Wolf Axouta got nerfed in the Codex for the mlee department. What did these guys do to GW to be a subpar unit and then get nerfed?

He means to use options from Index Imperium 1, where one scout and scout pack leader can take anything from Space Wolves Melee Weapons list. Power fist, thunderhammer, wolf claw, frost blade/axe... It's pretty strange but they can )

^ This is correct as I understand it... it is pretty crazy but the potential is there.

I find it more strange that they cannot anymore. What is wrong with veterans taking weapons? They are not neophytes for crying out loud. The only concession in the Codex after the review is a couple of power weapons in a guy or plasma pistol amd our special weapon. Why the nerf to melee?

Lightning claw/wolf claw, powerfist and rhunderhammer surely requre much more power and are much more heavier, so it's perfectly acceptable to be only avaliable on power armoured marines.

I fail to see why LC or WC would use more power that a Power Sword or Power Axe, and Power fists have beennseen used in regular non augmented humans without power packs. That would leave the TH as the only that might, but Foehammer seems to be able to be used withou a direct connection to a power pack, so I'd argue they can be usaed withou power armour. So much so that regular Scout Sergeants can use them (and all the others). I fail to see why the leader of a neophyte squad would be better armed than a veteran leader, or let a veteran take an extra weapon as they could before.

There is a Guard Sergeant, Platoon Commander, or Company Commander model with a Power Fist and a small power pack worn as a backpack.

Small portable power is not a real problem for anything less than a protracted battle or siege. If it would be, the poor sod is going to be assumed dead anyway, at which point, the Munitorum is not likely to care in the slightest.

Poor guy...

Not my idea but worth sharing....

31925195_10212197112265195_4431897751113

Don Hooson

Conversation Starter · =68.ARAbvdpxlbvfEXa9HJszNTFYf7nVuyo7vOqP-yqyufzQpgsbzaimoJafJfOT7g4eyphaMPFTNUrrRR9yTycIqxhdYfr1JdmiZPJ8UGqoVdY3i-D7aJvR_yXvfXnfQHqanR1MVLk&__tn__=-R]13 hrs

So... I was playing around with other units that are fairly easy to overlook. Has anyone looked at Wolf Scouts? A squad of 5 wolf scouts and 1 WG with 3 thunder hammers (indexed in) and a storm shield for the WGPL is only 119 points. That is 5 thunder hammer attacks hitting on 3's. They become more points efficient than a wolf lord at that point. Let's add in the Wulfen stone or the +1 attack warlord trait. That is 8 Thunder hammer attacks per phase. What about adding both of those in? That is 11 Thunder hammer attacks that phase for 119 points. Let's create a scenario for how these guys get to where they are going. How about putting two squads of these 6 scouts in a Stormwolf with a couple characters like a WGBL and a rune priest or your wolf lord. Even if the boat dies, you have 6 fairly easy bodies to soak of 1's (boltgun scouts). Then you still have some fairly cheap, and deadly wolf scouts between your characters and anything that wants to get that close to the imminent death of those highly accurate and numerous thunder hammer attacks.

I think I am beginning to ramble. I just found that to be an interestingly points efficient suicide unit. 119 also includes a stormshield on the WG pack leader.

*Added the index to codex flow chart*

I would caution people against going all-in on dubious, gimmicky options which don’t seem normal. Loading up on three-weapon Wolf Guard bikers had everyone complaining when they were removed as an option - I don’t see using Wolf Scouts with Thunder Hammers as a thing in the long run (or ongoing Index use, for that matter). If it sticks, that’s awesome, but I highly doubt it will, and then everyone who modeled Wolf scouts units with three Thunder Hammers will complain.

Hey there guys trying to build a list around what I have and avoiding small and Primaris marines so wondered how you think this would fare:

Outrider detachment

-WGBL

-3x Cyberwolves

Supreme command detachment

-Njal

-Arjac

-Bjorn

Vanguard detachment

-2x 5 WG Cataphractii Terminators

-5 WG Tartaros Terminators

-7 Wulfen, 5TH, 1 great axe

-Stormwolf

So it's 4CP so not great but not bad considering I don't have battalion detachment.

-3 terminator units with Njal and Arjac teleport in

-Stormwolf with the wulfen, wolf priest and WGBL with armour of Russ

-Bjorn with the 3 Cyberwolves as screen walking up

Could also swap Bjorn for Murderfang in a drop pod or the three Cyberwolves for more wulfen or a drop pod for Bjorn but all options drops me down to 3CP.

Hey there guys trying to build a list around what I have and avoiding small and Primaris marines so wondered how you think this would fare:

Outrider detachment

-WGBL

-3x Cyberwolves

-Njal

-Arjac

-Bjorn

Vanguard detachment

-Stormwolf

So it's 4CP so not great but not bad considering I don't have battalion detachment.

Could also swap Bjorn for Murderfang in a drop pod or the three Cyberwolves for more wulfen or a drop pod for Bjorn but all options drops me down to 3CP.

Is there still 3 base CP's, before all Detachments are factored in?

I think you should have six (6), but maybe I'm wrong.

I lack my books; would someone please verify, and, aren't there some changes with the FAQ's, too?

Outrider detachment

-WGBL

-3x Cyberwolves

-Njal

-Arjac

-Bjorn

Vanguard detachment

-Stormwolf

I lack my books; would someone please verify, and, aren't there some changes with the FAQ's, too?

I think he is using a Vanguard without an HQ, which grants no CP. But I doubt it is legal for us, I think it was made for Assassins and such.

As fir the list, it looks very different to play and probably fun. Being honest I doubt it will be very strong (very melee heavy, not much speed, very few units, some of which are oretty easy to kill and other just need the right tool, for example a plasma heavy list kill tear through the WG) but it seems fun to play.

Outrider detachment

-WGBL

-3x Cyberwolves

-Njal

-Arjac

-Bjorn

Vanguard detachment

-Stormwolf

I think he is using a Vanguard without an HQ, which grants no CP. But I doubt it is legal for us, I think it was made for Assassins and such.

As fir the list, it looks very different to play and probably fun. Being honest I doubt it will be very strong (very melee heavy, not much speed, very few units, some of which are oretty easy to kill and other just need the right tool, for example a plasma heavy list kill tear through the WG) but it seems fun to play.

2,000 points, maximum 3 or 4 Detachments, depending upon whether or not one uses the Beta FAQ, or at least, that's what I recall. All three detachments look legal, fluffy, and fun.

Grieux should be at 6 CP's, no more, no less; at least, until they start getting used. As far as that list goes, I'd Teleport Strike the TDA suits, use the Strategem to table edge the Wulfen, and if need be, the Stormwolf too, to give them a ride.

So with that in mind:

-Njal

-Arjac

-Bjorn in Lucius pattern drop pod

Vanguard detachment

-WGBL with armour of Russ

-Wolf Priest

-Stormwolf

Does it look good? Guess I'd be willing to change the Tartaros for something else since I haven't built them up yet.

Thanks on all the advice guys!

So with that in mind:

-Njal

-Arjac

-Bjorn in Lucius pattern drop pod

Vanguard detachment

-Wolf Priest

-Stormwolf

Does it look good? Guess I'd be willing to change the Tartaros for something else since I haven't built them up yet.

Thanks on all the advice guys!

A truely heroic list, just a few men holding the line. If you are using Beta rules just check the PL of what you are keeping of the table to remain legal.

[A truely heroic list, just a few men holding the line. If you are using Beta rules just check the PL of what you are keeping of the table to remain legal.

Mind elaborating mate? I almost prefer this list if I must have units on the table:

-Njal

-Arjac

-Bjorn with lascannon

Vanguard detachment

-Wolf Priest

-5 WG Cataphractii Terminators

-6 Wulfen, 4TH, 1 great axe

-6 Long Fangs with plasma cannons and WGPL with terminator armor, storm shield and cyclone

-Stormwolf

In this option Bjorn and the fangs are a mobile battery due to keen sensesi, the cataphractii teleport in with Arjac and Njal to hold the line and the Wulfen with Priest ang WGBL are the ultimate beat stick rerolling hits, wounds and freezing enemy units with the armor of Russ.

[A truely heroic list, just a few men holding the line. If you are using Beta rules just check the PL of what you are keeping of the table to remain legal.

Mind elaborating mate? I almost prefer this list if I must have units on the table:

-Njal

-Arjac

-Bjorn with lascannon

Vanguard detachment

-Wolf Priest

-6 Wulfen, 4TH, 1 great axe

-6 Long Fangs with plasma cannons and WGPL with terminator armor, storm shield and cyclone

-Stormwolf

In this option Bjorn and the fangs are a mobile battery due to keen sensesi, the cataphractii teleport in with Arjac and Njal to hold the line and the Wulfen with Priest ang WGBL are the ultimate beat stick rerolling hits, wounds and freezing enemy units with the armor of Russ.

Sure. Almost all of your list had DS, but according to the Beta rules at least balf of your units amd half of you PL must be on the table. With Bjorn on the Drop Pod that bacomea harder to do.

Really like the idea of the mobile Long Fangs. Qhen you try ot out let us know how it goes.

My initial fun and fluffy list. The WL on TW has the Wulfenstone since BS doesn't have relics in yet.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [106 PL, 1610pts] ++

+ HQ +

Bjorn the Fell-handed [12 PL, 247pts]: Heavy flamer, Saga of Majesty, Twin lascannon, Warlord

Njal Stormcaller in Runic Terminator Armour [8 PL, 153pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Tempest's Wrath, 3. Murderous Hurricane

Wolf Priest [6 PL, 99pts]: Jump Packs, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Grey Hunters [8 PL, 96pts]: 4x Chainsword
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Chainsword
. 3x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol
. Grey Hunter with Special Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Plasma gun
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader: Chainsword, Storm shield

+ Elites +

Wulfen [24 PL, 280pts]
. 2x Great frost axe
. 3x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 3x Storm Shield, 3x Thunder Hammer
. 5x Wulfen
. Wulfen Pack Leader: Frost claws

+ Fast Attack +

Thunderwolf Cavalry [16 PL, 264pts]
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Flyer +

Stormwolf [16 PL, 279pts]: Twin helfrost cannon
. Two Lascannons: 2x Lascannon
. Two Twin Heavy Bolters: 2x Twin heavy bolter

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [20 PL, 389pts] ++

+ HQ +

Rune Priest [7 PL, 136pts]: 4. Fury of the Wolf Spirits, 6. Jaws of the World Wolf, Jump Packs, Psychic hood, Runic armour, Runic staff, Storm bolter

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf [7 PL, 154pts]: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Wolf Priest [6 PL, 99pts]: Jump Packs, Storm bolter

++ Total: [126 PL, 1999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

My initial fun and fluffy list. 

Definitely getting some of the wolfiest stuff the Wolves have into the mix. Gobs of HQs as well.

(EDIT: Not to mention 9 total CP, which is probably going to be about as good as a pure Wolves army will do. And there'll be no lack of things to spend them on).

What are you thinking as far as deployment?

My initial fun and fluffy list. 

Definitely getting some of the wolfiest stuff the Wolves have into the mix. Gobs of HQs as well.

What are you thinking as far as deployment?

I put Wulfen/Njal/WP in the Stormwolf. I  usually wait to deploy the Stormwolf last. Depending on the opponent I can either try to do the traditional left/center/right  or I can do a refused flank and overload one side of the table. The center will be Bjorn and the 3 GH packs that with the saga of majesty I don't have to worry about morale and with 3++ in each GH squad they are going to be hard to remove. 

My ideal deployment is the TWC pack with support on one flank and the Stormwolf coming around on the other. I know since it is the only vehicle on the table (not counting Bjorn) that it is going to get shot off the table in turn 1 but it only has to live long enough to drop off the Wulfen and support squad.

I have played one full game against BL and two test games with Knights and Death Guard. It actually holds up very well against Knights with all those hammers going to work. Death Guard is another issue with the mortal wound output but not every army is going to be great against every other army.

And btw, that's 10 CP. 5 from battalion, 3 from battle forged, 1 for supreme command and 1 from Bjorn. 10 cp lets me play with all the new toys and still leaves room for rerolls.

Archived