Think Tank: Hypothesizing SW Unit Combo's, Options, Etc.

Karack Blackstone

I put Wulfen/Njal/WP in the Stormwolf. I usually wait to deploy the Stormwolf last. Depending on the opponent I can either try to do the traditional left/center/right or I can do a refused flank and overload one side of the table. The center will be Bjorn and the 3 GH packs that with the saga of majesty I don't have to worry about morale and with 3++ in each GH squad they are going to be hard to remove.

Just a side note the ignore morale only kicks in for your other guys after the saga is completed.

Yep so bought already bits from death guard marines to convert into true scale long fangs. I think the static big poses will fit the older marines.

Combining Agressors and Cataphractii or Terminator bits looks amazing as well.

Yep so bought already bits from death guard marines to convert into true scale long fangs. I think the static big poses will fit the older marines.

ohh, if you have a pic on that, I'd love to see it

When I am home I can post a couple more, but if you check my profile I have a converted 5-man Cataphractii squad in my album.

I just had a moment of inspiration. If I send Arjac in terminator armour and a terminator rune priest with wulfen stone rather than Njal will all my wolf guard models (10+Arjac) win 2 extra attacks!?

Yes, if you make that Rune Priest your Warlord with Saga of the Wolfkin, then starting on the turn after your Rune Priest slays 5 guys in the fight phase you get 3.

Omg amazing. This is definitely my anvil. Battle plan: these 12 monsters with infinite attacks teleport in front of the opponent most dangerous threat, daring them to charge next against Arjac heroic intervention, counter attack strat and our army +1 when fighting.

Then either he charges or his main force can't advance and guess what just appeared on the left? A Stormwolf loaded with th wulfen, a wolf priest and A WGBL with the armour of Russ.

Either he charges my cataphractii all with dual weapons and a 4++ with +3 attacks on turn 1 or the wulfen charge him next turn. CATCH 22 BIATCH.

Oh and I got enough points to spare for Bjorn to lead 6 long fangs to move and shoot as they feel like due to keen senses.

EDIT: Am I right in assuming you can't give two relics to a character? Because if I add the armour of Russ to the anvil good luck deciding if you want to charge me or you wait for my wulfen to charge.

DOUBLE EDIT: With that combination thats 30 attacks for each 5 man cataphractii squad, 6 from the leader with chain fist and 24 from the WG with dual claws. 60 for both squads. Plus 7 of Arjac TH. Plus 5 each priest (if you add a wolf priest in TDA with armour of Russ). 77 attacks on first turn off fighting, fighting first and from multi wound models all with minimum 4++, rerolling failed hits and wound rolls of 1. Oh, and 3 heroic interventions.

All for under 900 points allowing you to easily commit to another sizeable army chunk like 2 Stormwolves or land raiders loaded with TH Wulfen if you go full anviil and hammer, or 4 units of 6 long fangs with TDA cyclone pack leader and a shooty Dreadnought if you feel more inclined to obliteration.

One relic per character. I'd for sure invest in a stormwolf for them though, teleporting in with your nuts out is not a great idea in most matchups.

There's just something beautiful about the concept of 13 monsters (13! Since I'm adding the wolf priest in TDA) appearing from thin air in front of what you thought was your champion unit while two Stormwolves loaded with wulfen appear on each side of the board...

And I was always a huge fan of going nuts out... Definitely will try to build that list (swapping one Stormwolf for long fangs + Bjorn because I need variety in unit building and painting). Probably might regret it since I don't play a lot and you clearly got a hang of it but damn it's worth trying for how cinematic it is.

Just imagining that feeling of someone thinking he's gonna charge through the middle with their unbearable deathstar and then that blocks it's lane...

One relic per character. I'd for sure invest in a stormwolf for them though, teleporting in with your nuts out is not a great idea in most matchups.

There's just something beautiful about the concept of 13 monsters (13! Since I'm adding the wolf priest in TDA) appearing from thin air in front of what you thought was your champion unit while two Stormwolves loaded with wulfen appear on each side of the board...

And I was always a huge fan of going nuts out... Definitely will try to build that list (swapping one Stormwolf for long fangs + Bjorn because I need variety in unit building and painting).

Just imagining that feeling of someone thinking he's gonna charge through the middle with their unbearable deathstar and then that blocks it's lane...

EDIT: Or the 13 TDA and a Thunderhawk loaded with two squads of wulfen if the hawk price ever goes to normal!!

Hah yea i hear you, theres a reason thats the first thing i tried in first new dex game. It was certainly cinematic for my opponent.

What was the rest of your army? Do you think if you had tried to use them to bait/block your opponent rather than try charging you would have done better?

Eh it was just a tough tyranid force. I was mainly stress testing the durability. List was roughly

Logan

Arjak

Njal TDA

WGBL w/ JP

RP

5 WGTDA with SB/SH

5 WGPA with SB/SH

GH kitted out

Bloodclaws bare 

5 Intercessors

Long fangs kitted

Idea was to have the troops holding obj and buffering for the LF while the regular RP gives cover for them while the rest teleports in in a big overlapping deathstar.

Issue was he took hive fleet chronos so shut down the regular RP pretty easily and was able to outshoot me with hive guard and exocrenes. Claws pushed the hive guard base with the GH support but got broodlorded. Teleport drop failed each and every charge and the long fangs got shut down by the maleceptor invul who then got lucky 6's dealing 3 MW to basically everbody who dropped in. 

Rest got shot down despite the cover and -1. Overall it was just a lot of bad luck with a not super great list. I just wanted to see the CotGW in action though haha.

Terminator Characters

Cataphractii

Cataphractii back

Terminator Characters Back

Aggressor Chaplain as Terminator

Cataphractii Squad

Terminators from Aggressors

Chaplain WIP

Trying out an update to my old list tomorrow, something like this:

Bjorn

RP on bike

2x6 GH with plasmagun and wgbl with combiplas

5 GH with plasma

Imperial Space Marine

5 wulfen with 4 hammers

3x asscannon Razors

LF with missiles

LF with missiles

Leviathan with stormcannon and claw

I think I'll block up 2 razors with the leviathan and bjorn and try get off the -1 to hit bubble. No idea how I'll get the wulfen in place, but I'll figure something out, probably outflank them. Ive had a lot of success with this list in the past so I'm expecting it to still perform well, if not better with access to the new strats.

I just had a moment of inspiration. If I send Arjac in terminator armour and a terminator rune priest with wulfen stone rather than Njal will all my wolf guard models (10+Arjac) win 2 extra attacks!?

Yes, if you make that Rune Priest your Warlord with Saga of the Wolfkin, then starting on the turn after your Rune Priest slays 5 guys in the fight phase you get 3.

I tried doing a version of the above but got too excited and teleported everything in. Failed every single charge, got ripped apart in the subsequent turn. 

That'll learn me for thinking this was pre-faq...

Omg amazing. This is definitely my anvil. Battle plan: these 12 monsters with infinite attacks teleport in front of the opponent most dangerous threat, daring them to charge next against Arjac heroic intervention, counter attack strat and our army +1 when fighting.

Then either he charges or his main force can't advance and guess what just appeared on the left? A Stormwolf loaded with th wulfen, a wolf priest and A WGBL with the armour of Russ.

Either he charges my cataphractii all with dual weapons and a 4++ with +3 attacks on turn 1 or the wulfen charge him next turn. CATCH 22 BIATCH.

I would go for regular Termies with combi-plasma in there. That way, even if you fail your charge, you can still blow away a ton of the opposing army.

Can't do regular terminators but can do combi plasma! Do combo weapons fire more than once in this edition?

Also when going cataphractii with Combi plasma what do I put in the other hand? Power fist?

Edit: just noticed I can't do Combi plasma on cataphractii. hope that gets FAQ

Combi-weapons can be fired every turn in 8th edition. Also, you can choose to fire both barrels each turn if you wish (but you get a -1 penalty). This means that when facing hordes, combi-plas is nearly as good as a storm bolter (just don't overcharge). When firing on tough targets, skip the bolter bit and overcharge the plasma guns.

Cataphracti terminators are extremely unlikely to get access to combi plas as there are no weapons in the kit for it. New units typically only include rules for the parts present in the kit. I think we only get combi weapons on our regular Termies as a (welcome) historical anomaly.

Archived