Primaris Calgar: your thoughts?

Dariokan

Not sure how I feel about it right now. I think it would have been braver to replace him with a true Primaris, if they are going this route they might as well get a fresh start.

If they had done that there would be a mass panic right now about how all beloved characters would be squatted in the future.

It's possible people may have had that reaction yes, but to me he feels like a bit of a fifth wheel now Guilliman has returned. I know it was brief fan theory but the idea of him becoming a dreadnought is a bit more interesting to me rather than the rebiggulator machine. It would have injected some emotion into it I think.

Much like the general Primaris release, I'm taking the "new" Calgar release in typical "old guy"  fashion..... in stride:dry.: Jeez GW, I had finally gotten use to version 3 and you toss him into the "rebiggular machine"* and turn him into a Primaris….. you guys are just moving way too fast:wacko.: Even though I too was hoping for a Marnius Dreadnought the new mini looks okey dokey and I will scoop him up at my LFGS as soon as they get him.... and who knows, by this time next year, I'll probably really like him:yes: We old codgers are slow, but we do come around eventually...… I'm actually finally feeling the first stirings of enthusiasm for the Primaris in general.

As far as "The Hate" goes, I haven't seen anything approaching that in this post so far.... besides our beloved Ultramarines draw hate like stink draws flies, so we should be used to it by now:wink: Some folks don't like the new Calgar and I think their opinions are as valid as anyone else's, and the post does ask for "your thoughts". I personally find the pose a bit stiff.... oh I get that it's in homage to Calgar.2, but I can't quite get it out of my head that Primaris Marnius  is either directing traffic or leading a pep rally. My personal favorite pose was Calgar.3, striding forward with both gauntlets blazing...…

……"like a western" 

The armor isn't as busy as Calgar.3 but not simple like my favorite Calgar.1 MkXI Corvus armor. I will give you that the sitting on The John pose was less than dynamic, not to mention undignified.

On a more enthusiastic note, I do think the new Honour Guard look SWEEEEEET...…. I'll take ten please:biggrin.:

* "rebiggular machine".....thanks for that one Doghouse:biggrin.:

I've had a chance to consider my position and see how I feel about it.

I don't like Calgar being updated. The old model was great and has a fantastic pose. This is unnecessary and the writing is on the wall for Marines which I don't approve of. All my conversions I were proud of, all the army I collected and finished... All on the chopping block.

I'm pretty much gutted. I didn't want Primaris. I don't like how my army is being phased out as it cost me far too much money to just be "out of print". It's a cynical money grab that wasn't needed. New models can easily be produced for Classic Marines and a starter kit would make the same sales and growth.

What GW wanted to do is increase the size of Marines so people would think they look odd next to older models, so people will replace the older models completely.

Primaris are not for me. I won't be buying into it and for me at least GW has lost my sales.

I've had a chance to consider my position and see how I feel about it.

I don't like Calgar being updated. The old model was great and has a fantastic pose. This is unnecessary and the writing is on the wall for Marines which I don't approve of. All my conversions I were proud of, all the army I collected and finished... All on the chopping block.

I'm pretty much gutted. I didn't want Primaris. I don't like how my army is being phased out as it cost me far too much money to just be "out of print". It's a cynical money grab that wasn't needed. New models can easily be produced for Classic Marines and a starter kit would make the same sales and growth.

What GW wanted to do is increase the size of Marines so people would think they look odd next to older models, so people will replace the older models completely.

Primaris are not for me. I won't be buying into it and for me at least GW has lost my sales.

Primaris (for me) are nothing but fresh cannon fodder. Not good looking, not nice and just weirdly upscaled mark. IV armor marines... Calgar, in my armys conversion is just plain termie one without so much ultra symbols. I do love them powerfists so very much.

I like the model overall, but I'm still wondering what is up with those air intakes above his shoulders. If they are not jump pack intakes... what are they for?

People keep saying, for "teleport" locator or something of sorts

My other knows little of Warhammer and Space Marines and certainly doe not understand the word Primaris... and she's compared all the versions of these models against each other on an aesthetic basis.

Her favourite of the 4 is the last, Terminator Armour version. She thinks the detail and pose is superior.

My other knows little of Warhammer and Space Marines and certainly doe not understand the word Primaris... and she's compared all the versions of these models against each other on an aesthetic basis.

Her favourite of the 4 is the last, Terminator Armour version. She thinks the detail and pose is superior.

Unquestionably, the last Terminator version is the best, and will stand the test of time. Throw a helmet on this model, as they did, and its just another marine.

I think the TDA version is great and really stood the test of time incredibly well.

I think so too. It might have alot tiny bling on it but it still looks nice in the shelf. Just like terminator chaplain too.

Funny, never been too crazy about Calgar in TDA myself.

I think the TDA version is great and really stood the test of time incredibly well.

I don't like it honest - to my taste, it is over concentrated with oversized bling. you're right that it has aged well though - it doesn't look out of place in a contemporary Space Marine collection the same way Ragnar Blackmane or Captain Tycho do.

The helmet is nice, but I will probably paint up the other variant non-helmeted just for the challenge of it.

I love the pose, and made some comparisons to Joe Dirt, 'stepping into the mic'. But the Terminator variant was definitely an era defining moment.

Since I play lists that are now about 80% primaris (actuallly a 100% most often), I am happy to see the character content will continue to grow, and mature with the rest of the Chapter. New characters are fine, but I wanted to see the defining characters make it forward.

I thought Tigurius would be first. So this surprised me a bit. As far as Calgar though a lot is up in the air for me. His cost (so far I find the increased cost (especially of Characters) for the one wound bonus to be nearly a complete waste of points.) His Gauntlets could use a bit of help. They could increase the damage in CC, and help out the fire rate for ranged gauntlet firepower. (looking at the feeder belt ala Aggressor, this seems feasible).

Cawl improved the armour, and physiology so it is possible.

It is a very interesting touch to me that they decided to paint the "gravis-Termie" type armour shiny and new, yet the Gauntlets retain the damage of thousands of years of bashing Orks the melon. Nice touch!

The helmet is nice, but I will probably paint up the other variant non-helmeted just for the challenge of it.

I love the pose, and made some comparisons to Joe Dirt, 'stepping into the mic'. But the Terminator variant was definitely an era defining moment.

Since I play lists that are now about 80% primaris (actuallly a 100% most often), I am happy to see the character content will continue to grow, and mature with the rest of the Chapter. New characters are fine, but I wanted to see the defining characters make it forward.

I thought Tigurius would be first. So this surprised me a bit. As far as Calgar though a lot is up in the air for me. His cost (so far I find the increased cost (especially of Characters) for the one wound bonus to be nearly a complete waste of points.) His Gauntlets could use a bit of help. They could increase the damage in CC, and help out the fire rate for ranged gauntlet firepower. (looking at the feeder belt ala Aggressor, this seems feasible).

Cawl improved the armour, and physiology so it is possible.

It is a very interesting touch to me that they decided to paint the "gravis-Termie" type armour shiny and new, yet the Gauntlets retain the damage of thousands of years of bashing Orks the melon. Nice touch!

I predict he'll be better and cheaper. Probably a solid match for Abaddon?

3 damage is what I was hoping for. It is in line with what we see a lot of now, especially with Relics like this. I hope the same is true for my buddy Valoris!

I wonder though if his Victrix will be like the old Honour Guard. I assume this is all part of a box set but Could be wrong. But if that’s the case I hope you get more than 2 Guard models. Then again being Primaris they might be enough but once again GW must fix the bodyguard rule as it exists for the Honour Guard.

Well. I like the new Calgar model. The terminator one was cool, but WAY to much bling for my preferences, which is how I feel about the honor guard that came with terminator Calgar too.

So I like the overall composition, the restraint with the bling, and the post is rather classic. It would have been cool to see a new pose altogether different from the 3 previous iterations, but I get they were looking to blend new and familiar all it once. Not the choice I would have made, but I don't think it was a bad choice either.

Calgar looks good, but i expect he was enterred in a dreadnought, or a new mini like the 4º edition cover. The expectation error.

The Honor friends, are not the same for me, they look bland and so much plane in my opinion, in some maner the old iteration have more personality even lacking a lot of a better sculpt of the actual quality, the mirrored pose its a nay.

Captain Idaho you make my eyes cry, but for a good reason: i never stoped to think in the meaning of the classic marine replacement, i acepted... but...never put myself in the other corner and you make a good sentences about it. Now i fell the sensation of any one who fear all his or her marines replaced, all the time spend making every one unique, all the love put for a simple cut  them from the game, "your minimens are not more relevant!" thats sad. I fell whit all my heart that never happens.

Archived