Primaris Calgar: your thoughts?

Dariokan

The new ones should be superior in rules. The old Honour Guard had horrific rules for taking the damage of hits instead of the hits themselves. Absurd really and fixed in subsequent Codex books.

With an Apothecary and those 2 Victrix Honour Guard, Guilliman has just become even harder to kill.

I didn't mean rules wise. ;)

Kitbashed probably a dozen honour guards. Would be nice if I can field them. :D

The relic blade is just an old hold over. Basically he’s borrowing Dad’s gloves. But Dad came back and didn’t need them since he got HIS dad’s fire sword!

It’s kind of like when my I asked my Brother where dad’s lawnmower was since he borrowed it last but it turns out my dad got a self propelled, fancy mower and doesn’t need it back. ( actually true story. Lol )

But one thing I want to clarify for people who don’t use Marneus ( and I know this doesn’t pertain to most of the people in this thread); Marneus really hasn’t changed much at all!

In the main rumour thread some people are going bonkers over his rules but as I said I that thread: the Statline is the bare minimum you get once you put Gravis armour on a marine!

His cost is relative to that. We don’t know how existing costs are affected yet so to say PriMarneus is cheap or expensive is really difficult to say. I would say if he comes in at 200 I will use him.

I will disclose that I use Calgar in all of my games, and I have been for months. (No Guilliman).

So to me the huge change is the toughness and attack. chaos often gets ‘free attacks ‘ on my Calgar from DTTFE. It’s nice to get one built in to PriMarneus.

The extra wound is situational. Most opponents throw some serious stuff at him in cc and quite often he is overkilled. The damage reduction is nice but often doesn’t make a huge difference and literally means nothing against mortal wounds.

I am obviously very happy with Primaris models so I welcome the ‘look’ in my largely Primaris army but that’s an aesthetic thing.

I am actually more curious about the Victrix and Honour Guard. If I’m not mistaken they both mentioned as separate data lates in the table of contents. So I’m curious if these units are simply clarifying a Primaris bodyguard and a marine bodyguard? Is one for Marneus and the other is exclusive to Guilliman? Perhaps the Honour Guard is a take on the old command squad.

Either way I hope the bodyguard rule is updated as it’s kind of borked in the current codex.

Isomyea im excited for PriMarneus since I currently use him but that Guard could be a lot of fun and may add a ton of mileage to any of our HQs with that silly Oathbreaker missile system heavily in play now.

His movement going back to 6" isn't something I expected. Gravis reduced it to 5 but it seems his armour doesn't have the restriction. Maybe that's why the vents are so big.

Calgar had pretty great stats to begin with, hence why the Primaris version looks so impressive. He's far stronger than a typical Gravis character and looks (and is) several notches stronger than other Astartes heroes.

Honestly if I’m playing very competitive he probably wouldn’t make my list. Usually my competitive stuff never puts too much into HQ. But I rarely play all out even in tournaments and I use Calgar now. That won’t change.

I don’t disagree with you guys. I actually think he’s just right. He will work in a lot of lists and won’t be crazy good or cost you any games. But for me it’s the look. With the Guard....I just think it’s an amazing kit.

If he can still teleport and still gives +2CP for being the WL, and costs the same 200 points that his old version does, then he will be quite a solid choice (even more so if the Repulsor gets cheaper and/or Primaris get a more affordable transport option)

Rules wise - I get he has an extra attack and that his Gravis Armour gives him a 2+ instead of 3+ save, but why does being a Primaris grant Calgar a 2 additional wounds instead of 1? I'm guessing it's to provide something different to his previous Terminator armour profile?

Apart from that he's just what I expect.

Still sorry to lose the iconic Terminator version but that's just me apparently.

Rules wise - I get he has an extra attack and that his Gravis Armour gives him a 2+ instead of 3+ save, but why does being a Primaris grant Calgar a 2 additional wounds instead of 1? I'm guessing it's to provide something different to his previous Terminator armour profile?

Apart from that he's just what I expect.

Still sorry to lose the iconic Terminator version but that's just me apparently.

I feel like they merged Terminator and Gravis armor and gave him the "Primaris boost."

He has both the Gravis T5 and the TDA +1W and 2+ save. Then on top of that he has the +1 to both W and A for being Primaris.

Edit: You can totally still field the Terminator version, and the Power Armor version. Basically you are just restricted to one model with the MARNEUS CALGAR keyword.

Edit: You can totally still field the Terminator version, and the Power Armor version. Basically you are just restricted to one model with the MARNEUS CALGAR keyword.

Yeah I considered that.

Of course as time goes by the rules for those models won't be supported. The power armoured version is still like 240pts!

Yeah I considered that.

Of course as time goes by the rules for those models won't be supported. The power armoured version is still like 240pts!

Pop the precious baby in the razorback and just drive around.

Yeah it does smack of laziness.  Would have been much better if both of them were in fighting combat poses like Calgar.  If Calagar had been in a neutral pose as well it would have made sense, like they were stood in guard position, but he isn't so there is a bit of a stance mismatch going on.

Not saying they don't look good, or that they are posed bad. Just they don't match up pose wise with Calgar.  And its a bit lazy just to make one model then reverse it in software to make the second :lol:

There is no chance you could change the pose, you can see they are molded that way.  Only thing you can change is where the head is looking.

Archived