BT confirmed on Vigilus

I agree with old chaplain, this will not change anything dramatically in terms of how our army performs. But it's nice and fluffy nonetheless, because it goes in the right direction, even if it's a a non-negligible cost it makes our units slightly better at CC.

While I'll refrain from predictions of the future and the like; these new rules sound like a lot of fun. I've never played at tournament levels, but I like to think I played competifluffly.

What does that mean? I do my best to take a list that is fun to play and thematically sound, but with those units optimised and synergised.

I play to win, but I expect the game to tell a good story too - even if it hurts my chances.

I will usually, for example, attempt a glorious charge or heroic duel, even if it means sacrificing an easy objective point.

I look fondly at these new options as they encourage exactly the kind of gameplay that I enjoy the most. I totally understand any disappointment regarding missing options, or competitive potency, but I didn't expect anything like that. To be honest, these turned out a lot better than I could have hoped!

It is quite frustrating actually, as I think I would have more fun gaming right now than I have in years, but no chance to play for the foreseeable future :'(

I just wish the Sword Brethren thing would apply to the units that could really put it to proper use in terms of the attack buff - Vanguard or (assault) terminators. Company veterans being 4 models is just meh for it as are the characters, considering it costs 2CP to use each time plus the 1CP to even make them sword brethren! Seriously, 3CP to get +1A and rerolls to wounds for a maximum of 4 models for a single fight phase. Underwhelming, to say the least. So it can join the rest of the not so great marine stratagems, I guess.

Ah, quite true, I was confusing the number with the AM Command Squad. Momentary brainfart. Regardless, even five is not enough. It'd really need a squad of 10 to be worth it and even then it wouldn't really be a no-brainer to do.

Our characters gonna beast mode.

WLT on Captain with Chainsword (teeth of terra) + Stormshield, Jump-Pack for example:

4 attacks base + 1 WLT + 1 Stratagem + w3 (teeth of T) - and all 6s give as a additional hit.

This guy isa suicide bomb - and eye level to slamguinius.!!!

I see a lot of people thinking stormshields on the vets but I'm leaning to max fire power.  If the vets are in a combo with the High Marshall, the reduced cost of combi weapons will be my choice making sure I can deal enough damage.  

Stromshields are nice but we are still only at a 3+/3++ save and I guess it is a case of what you normally play against or if you want to save some points.  With the volume of attacks being so high the 3+/3++ save does not last all that long.

Well as the positive take away for me they both have their place creating another layer of flexibility. 

The 2 point stormshields seem tasty but you very well may be right. I may swap them for storm bolters, but I do want to give it a try. It will at least make them seem scary.

Someone mentioned thunder hammers earlier, I think as crazy as it sounds that might be the way to go. Theyre gonna be strength 10 re roll failed hits and wounds with alot of attacks, just gotta be smart about using them.

My plan is- storm raven with Helbrecht, 5 company vets, 5 man crusaders with plasma, combi plasma heavy bolter, lieutenant, and ironclad. Pray I go first. That in someones backline will serve as a nice little "feth you".

Edit after looking at point costs:

Thunders hammers are pricey, maybe a little too pricey. May have to go power fists instead and just hope you don't roll like dog crap on your D3 damage.

I really don't understand why we can't take Relic Blade on the Company Vet sarge when the Vanguard Vet sarge can take one...

Yeah, can't say I really understand why that is, but in terms of damage output it's not a huge deal. Aesthetically it's annoying, but if your local game scene is relaxed on WYSIWYG then you can give the sarge one and say it counts as a fist or something.

As for modeling them in general, as with any unit that has loads of options: magnetize! :)

Power swords are the best per point value but they might not guarantee that kill.  The relic blade is not an option as it did not come in the command box kits.  In 8th it seems GW did take a bit of time and make for sure most options for units did reflect the options in the kits.

With the +1 S buff you have the same chance at killing T4 models with a power sword or relic blade.  It is just when you look at T3 and T5 does the relic blade get better.

I really dislike the D3 wound system GW did this edition but this off topic.  Mainly because you are as likely to get any of the three values but the weapons are generally over costed.  It would not be an issue if the majority of the models in the game had multi wounds.  All the D3 wound weapons should have been cost of a version of the weapon that does 1 wound x 1.75 to get the point value.

As others pointed, it might be hammer time and that would also solve the nob issues.   

I really dislike the D3 wound system GW did this edition but this off topic. Mainly because you are as likely to get any of the three values but the weapons are generally over costed. It would not be an issue if the majority of the models in the game had multi wounds. All the D3 wound weapons should have been cost of a version of the weapon that does 1 wound x 1.75 to get the point value.

As others pointed, it might be hammer time and that would also solve the nob issues.

You are paying 5 points more now for extra Str and a 66% chance to do more than one wound. Not a bad purchase imo

I really dislike the D3 wound system GW did this edition but this off topic. Mainly because you are as likely to get any of the three values but the weapons are generally over costed. It would not be an issue if the majority of the models in the game had multi wounds. All the D3 wound weapons should have been cost of a version of the weapon that does 1 wound x 1.75 to get the point value.

You are paying 5 points more now for extra Str and a 66% chance to do more than one wound. Not a bad purchase imo

I do agree Acebaur that the new point value is much better but the option is locked behind honor guard and higher grade characters.  My point was at most of the time the D3 system has been over costed.  I truthfully have not had the time to really sit down and feel out how the change to PF and relic blades play into the BT wargear.

True enough. Still, his extra hits along side the Champion with the new WT could be glorious if the dice be blessed. :D

Grim, the EC, 2 SB squads and an apothecary or standard in an LRC...Helbrecht instead of Grim if you wanna go gangbusters. His rerolls on the LRC makes some big holes.

Can't wait for updated battlescribe. Bouncing back and forth between pages on my laptop is tedious

I was just doing exactly the same thing!

Did company vets also get a points drop in CA?

I'm even slightly tempted to actually make some bikes up, follow up your LRC bomb with a few of those. They can really take the damage with T5 and 2W, which is something that our units sorely lack.

Archived