WarriorFish

• 2 weeks later...

New models got their game in with the Sunder, batrep is here :thumbsup: Bit of a mixed bag for the TSons here, while I got a lot of powers off which was a big improvement on last time to buff my units I then proceeded to roll terribly making it moot :tongue.:

With so much combat around (including from me) it is a bit difficult to get them into a decent position to count. Plus Rubrics don't like being in combat so don't want to be too close to it, but that's not something you usually get to choose...

I think things will be better when I get a proper force going, as then I can make use of redeployment tricks and such along with more comprehensive lists and plans. Options are limited when you're starting out after all! Once I get the Rubrics done and add the Scarabs I'll need to look to heavy hitting, so maybe a couple of Helbrutes for some big guns?

Time for another batrep or two, this time the Thousand Sons march to war alone! :biggrin.: With the arrival of the SRC my KT is now ready, so he gets his first couple of games in :smile.:

Kill Team

Taking Prisoners

Thousand Sons vs GSC Game 1

The mission is to take prisoners, setting up in opposite corners. Tzeentch has little use for the pawns of others so the Rubrics are tasked with their destruction - any required information can be gleaned from them in other ways...

I deploy conservatively given the numbers difference (12 vs 5), plus I want to try and avoid combat for at least a turn or two if possible. Added on they're not short of some fire power of their own in the mining laser. The flamer and a bolter deploy near the centre behind ruins, with the Sorcerer a behind. The SRC and accompanying bolter hang back for a more commanding view. My opponent sets up the heavy stubber and laser similarly, with the rest of the gribbly horde up against cover.

Tzeentch smiles on his chosen and first turn is mine! I move the Sorcerer up a bit behind the other forward elements, and the rearguard moves up a little for a better view. The Psychic phase goes well, killing a cultists and wounding another (a 6 for the Icon of Flame). Weapons fire does ok, while I can't muster much it is quite effective when it gets through so I can plink off some more wounds.

In return my opponent advances up with most of his forces, and the long range hinders his shooting enough for what makes it through to bounce off ceramite.

gallery_30308_10077_55108.jpg

Fickle as he is, Tzeentch grants my opponent the first turn this time. He's somewhat cautious as he needs to move into position a bit better, but has time as I have made no effort to move up to catch prisoners so all that is needed is one in combat pretty much and he has the tools to do it. Fortunately Tzeentch is still looking out for me as my opponent fumbles what charges were attempted, and the supporting gunners can't score any hits!

My turn is quite brutal. A hybrid explodes outright to the Sorcerer's psychic might, and the Icon of Flame matches it! With closer targets my shooting fares better and cultists are starting to drop... I play a stratagem to roll 2D6 picking the highest for the warpflamer and it does well - a great turn that gives me the firm advantage...

gallery_30308_10077_15161.jpg

My opponent has been badly bloodied, but with such a small team against him the nature of KT can easily turn this around especially with the mission. Unfortunately the fates Tzeentch is not so kind and I claim the first go once more. The forward pair move up for a better view, and the Sorcerer peers through a window.

Psychic might once more obliterates a cultist, and the Icon of Flame goes off again to score a flesh wound. As the inferno weaponry punches into weak flesh vital models go down as my opponent's dice apparently give up the fight... Fitting then that the mauled survivors of his KT do the same! A punishing victory to the Thousand Sons!

gallery_30308_10077_25338.jpg

It was a blast to get my TSons going in their first solo game, as well as finally get their KT on the table top. As I suspected they're solid. Not many ways you can really play them unfortunately, but what they do they do well :smile.: AP-2 (and better) tore through the cultists whenever I got a wound in so I could be confident of results for the most part when shooting.

The psychic power was neat if a bit flavourless, but overshadowed by the Icon of Flame working every time (to think I took it purely because I couldn't spend the points any other way). Tzeentch's favour was doubtless with me, as IoF aside my rolls were average enough but my opponent had some rotten luck in the wrong places (for him).

With the larger game next door still raging on, and after the lopsided game we just had my opponent and I agree to have another game:

Kill Team

Capturing objectives

Thousand Sons vs GSC Game 2

This time there are five objectives to capture evenly spread out - worth 2VPs at the end of each round, and the centre one worth 3. A small triangle to deploy in on top means things are looking better for my opponent with plenty of models to capture and still press on me, as well as severely limited deployment options for me. However after last game I'm confident that I have a good enough shot at winning in blood instead :wink:

Luckily I grab first turn, so I can move out of my all but coverless deployment. The warpflamer sprints up behind cover with little else to do, with the rest following up.

Once again the Sorcerer casts a cultist straight into the warp, and once again the IoF scores a hit to match! Nobody can believe my luck, but I take this as sure sign Tzeentch will grant me victory :tongue.: Perhaps intimidated by the godly favour I have my opponent doesn't close aside with much else than some grunts to keep me busy. The rest fan out to capture objectives.

gallery_30308_10077_28053.jpg

This is a smart move by my opponent as that is definitely his ticket to victory. My game plan won't change either so it's a race to see if I can break his KT in time! He's ratcheting up the VPs from them such that I don't even try to complete; all my efforts must be to take out cultists.

That's not to say that he doesn't have plenty of punch of his own, as the rock grinder and drill move up. It's not an uncontested move though as I can see my opponent is trying to stall me by not committing his forces and holding most in reserve for next turn, so I decide to move up aggressively and make every shot count.

I can't stop the nasty CC model waiting, but I can kill his friends and do some stalling of my own. The warpflamer moves up to roast them, taking oe out and wounding another. This is after the Sorcerer fires off some mind bullets but the IoF remains silent for the first time... has Tzeentch's favour gone?

gallery_30308_10077_50780.jpg

The SRC mows down the mining laser hiding in opposite ruins but otherwise my shooting achieves little, so perhaps that is the case... Things get worse as the combat monster charges from safety and has no problem taking out the warpflamer, set up ready for more mayhem.

Everyone knows that the game is likely to be decided when we roll off to see who gets to go first in the third turn - and it goes to the Thousand Sons! I waste no time with my luck and throw my forces in, the Sorcerer charging the rock grinder (or other one, whichever it was?). He doesn't get chance to swing though, as his psychic might takes his opponent down outright and - you guessed it - the IoF flickered to life once more to inflict further pain!

Faced with the additional onslaught of inferno bolts my opponent's KT falls like wheat before the scythe and this is compounded when he rolls very high and his team breaks. Another victory for Akhenaten's thralls!

After all that, seems my opponent still couldn't compete with Tzeentch's favour! KT is perhaps the perfect game for Tzeentchian armies given its nature very much reflects the god :wink: This day it was me with the dice gods on my side, who knows for the next one? It has compounded my view that numbers are not as good in KT as in 8th Ed, as it does a better job of balancing it out. In some ways I think it's harder as those nerve tests can quickly become brutal once you start losing models.

It's one of the reasons my Guard KT is languishing until I get more Stormies done, but for more elite armies like Thousand Sons you can really stretch your dusty legs out :smile.: With their resilience and weaponry I felt like my Rubrics were quite a formidable foe, where the faceless numbers were very much outclassed and had to ply their own advantages well to counter. If only it felt the same in 40k!

I'm looking forward to next game with them, and even after the extended break from KT we're getting a lot better at remembering and using the rules :biggrin.:

• 4 months later...

Back again with an update, also for Kill Team; branching out into Elites! Terminators are expensive, so with only room for one even juggling points around that means it has to be someone important:

gallery_30308_15068_30401.jpg

No idea if it'll be a good move (or, remember how to play KT maybe..?) but Rule of Cool counts for a lot :tongue.: Not a great picture unfortunately he does look a bit better in the flesh (not dust). Was good to be back with my Sons albeit briefly and a convenient way to sneak a SOT in early... with the rank and file Termies having a lot less fancy on I can see them being relatively quick to paint up in comparison to size and the Rubrics as there's more plate for easier painting and less fancy stripes and the like :smile.:

He can stand in for an HQ too once I get the core Rubrics done, so I can argue that too :laugh.: The remainder of the squad can be something to look forward to once I have paid the detachment tithe :smile.:

Thanks, he turned out quite nicely - another great Sons kit that was fun to do :biggrin.: I can highly recommend KT for Sons, they're good in it and feel like a proper elite army in part due to KT giving hordes some drawbacks. It really helps with armies that might not be so hot on the table top, lets you get some games in without feeling you have an uphill start :smile.:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, the Sons models are great so it's not too hard to have them looking good :tongue.: Unfortunately his first game was cursed and he ended up breaking after a fall, but fortunately it was along all the joins so I don't think any lasting damage was done :smile.:

I have played around a little with what could be the first 1000pts list. I think it's a start, as it's probably not a very good list but you've got to start somewhere. MSU might be a smarter move then I can get some more Rubrics in without filling left over points with another HQ. Though flinging psychic powers around will be useful of course, it's not something I'd consider that reliable a strategy here.

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [8CP, 999pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Gametype: Matched

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [166pts]: Death Hex, Diabolic Strength, Temporal Manipulation, Warlord

Exalted Sorcerer [120pts]: Dark Matter Crystal, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Prescience, Weaver of Fates

Sorcerer [98pts]: Force sword, Glamour of Tzeentch, Infernal Gaze, Inferno Bolt Pistol

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [205pts]
. . Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Tzeentch's Firestorm, Warpflame Pistol
. . 7x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 7x Inferno boltgun
. . Rubric Marine w/ Soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon
. . Rubric Marine w/ Warpflamer: Warpflamer

Rubric Marines [205pts]
. . Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Warpflame Pistol, Weaver of Fates

Rubric Marines [205pts]
. . Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Temporal Manipulation, Warpflame Pistol

Warpflamers just to use up the last few points, for the points I think plasma pistols are probably better. They don't feel particularly Tzeentchian though and I'd need to find the bits :tongue.: Any ideas for tweaks and improvements? Other than GW dropping the points of Rubrics a bit ;)

• 2 months later...

Thanks mate, my Sons are currently on pause as I focus on my Slaaneshi Daemons - but this is only until I get a working detachment and army for them. Once I do I'll be looking to increase Akhenaten's Thrallband once more :thumbsup: There's some more Rubrics of course, but also the Contemptor I'm keen to get to work on.

Unfortunately it seems like Sons didn't get as much out of PA as others which is disappointing, but I'm keeping up on reports from others and I'll be experimenting with it myself soon enough. The Daemons are making excellent progress and I'm sure some purple here and there will make a good break from all the pink and flesh before long :wink:

• 1 month later...

Here's a good exercise, comparing the 1,000pts list above with the newly revised version after CA2019:

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [7CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration [8CP] +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Time

Detachment CP [5CP]

Gametype: Matched

+ HQ [-1CP, 286pts] +

Ahriman Akhenaten on Disc of Tzeentch [166pts]: Death Hex, Diabolic Strength, Temporal Manipulation, Warlord

Aharon, Exalted Sorcerer [-1CP, 120pts]: 6. High Magister, Dark Matter Crystal, Force stave [8pts], Inferno Bolt Pistol, Magister [-1CP], Prescience, Weaver of Fates

+ Troops [558pts] +

Rubric Marines [186pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer [24pts]: Force stave [8pts], Glamour of Tzeentch, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. 7x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun [112pts]
. Rubric Marine w/ Soulreaper cannon [26pts]: Soulreaper cannon [10pts]
. Rubric Marine w/ Warpflamer [24pts]: Warpflamer [8pts]

Rubric Marines [186pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer [24pts]: Force stave [8pts], Inferno Bolt Pistol, Weaver of Fates

Rubric Marines [186pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer [24pts]: Force stave [8pts], Inferno Bolt Pistol, Tzeentch's Firestorm

+ Elites [156pts] +

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [156pts]: Combi-bolter [2pts], Havoc launcher [6pts], Hellforged deathclaw [20pts], Twin lascannon [40pts]

Certainly looks nice to see the difference in price for the Rubrics, and with the Sorcerer and Warpflame Pistols that were topping up points repurposed to a Contemptor even some AT too (whatever next). I'm a way off fielding this list but it's good Tzeentchian to dream :tongue.:

How does it look? I gave the Exalted a Warlord trait but I'm wondering if I should drop him for a normal Sorcerer to bulk up a Rubric squad a bit? That or replace him with a TDA Sorcerer with a Familiar for the same points (Rule of Cool)? I'd like to get Ahriman Akhenaten done as I was given the model a while back and he's cool anyway :biggrin.:

As for Cults, I'm still undecided. I've narrowed it down to the following favourites:

• Cult of Prophecy
    I like Prophecy's psychic power, having a die to apply when you need it can be game changing, the WLT and Relic seem quite useful too.
  • Cult of Time
    Who doesn't want to be bringing back Rubrics? WLT is decent, Relic seems less interesting.
  • Cult of Scheming
    Getting to pull out of combat and still shoot and charge back in seems really nice for an army without much in the way of combat prowess. WTL doesn't look interesting, and the Relic seems a bit gimmicky?

I feel like I will default to Time for moment (bringing back models is too nice to pass up, plus very fitting for Rubrics), but I'm not fully sold yet. I'll probably need to experiment with them, but as I like the codex WLTs and relics well enough it's the power I'm more interested in.

I think for a thousand points that’s plenty of Rubrics, and you’ll get more mileage out of the extra points spent in the exalted especially in an anti character meta we live in. 

Time is certainly fun, just unfortunately to me it is always a secondary Cult as you HQs will barely, if ever, leverage it. 

Thanks Prot! I was starting to ponder this on Time too, as cool as it is to bring back model(s) the "opportunity cost" needs to be considered. Character has to be in the right place, not need to cast a different power instead, you then have to pass the test and will probably only bring back one model. It all adds up. Probably better to revisit when I get some Scarabs on the table, as if you're going to do it may as well go bigger for better reward?

After some more thought I think I like Prophecy the most, at least as my first test. The power is "outside" of normal game mechanics which is quite special. For starters you have the bonus in that he can cast it anywhere you like, so good for a character who might not have good options with his targets. Secondly and more obviously it will insert itself wherever you want later, for anything on the table. Last but not least that single die is a guarantee up your sleeve which is almost priceless. The WLT and Relic seeming useful is the icing on the cake, along with it suiting my lore neatly :smile.:

With all the fruitful discussion we've had lately I'm really keen to get back to my Sons. I have a few projects I need/plan to complete, but with my Daemons making excellent progress this year already I'm feeling that my return to Tzeentch is sooner than I had expected... no doubt just as he planned :wink:

• 2 months later...

Been picking away at other projects and decided now was the time to return to my Sons, just need to drill the bolters and they're ready for priming:

gallery_30308_15068_85285.jpg

Decided to raid the Exalted box for the Aspiring Sorcerer, as I've got two from the Rubric box bits and don't think you can stretch them to a third without them being too samey. Once these are done I've got the third box to open, they'll be all bolters aside from the Soulreaper Cannon. Then I'll be very close to my 1,000pts list - just Akhenaten on a disc and the Contemptor :smile.:

Sorry I need to chime in on Cult of Time- I was super excited when they gave that to us initially, like many others.

However, I must say that often I have included a Time detachment either as Vanguard or an Aux of just 10 scarab occult terminators. I play at least 1 game a week somehow and my conclusion is that if someone can kill enough Scarabs that you have to bring some back, they are capable of wiping the squad completely, thus wasting Time Flux. 

If scarabs arent present, however, Time will see lots of value if you run a battalion of Rubric Marines and value them in ITC for hiding and holding obj. 

All I'm saying is don't fall into the Scarab trap like I did. I have put them in my Duplicity battalion so that I can teleport them turn 1 with that warp charge 7 power and start shooting something up. I'd hate to see you disappointed when you don't get a lot of mileage out of Time Flux. Such a shame because WC 5 is awesome.

Edited by Archaeinox

I know it's not the best, but there's nothing stopping you changing Cults :wink: I may try Time first just so I have then I can move on to something like Prophecy. I've not given them a great deal of thought yet as I'm a little while off having them ready for decent games, not that anyone is playing much currently :tongue.:

Thanks, I was wondering about making him different - but not too different, he's only an Aspiring Sorcerer. The helmets from the Exalted Sorcerers box set didn't quite feel right, as they were a bit too ornate. I wanted to use a back mounted headdress to give him a bit more fancy, to balance that he doesn't have a fancy torso but that felt enough. Using a bare head feels obvious now I've done it :tongue.: I might do the same for when I get round to the inevitable fourth box :smile.:

I've got as far as the gold on the Marines, once the weapons and backpacks get the Sigmarite dry brush I can start blocking in the purple :thumbsup: Should be reasonable to aim to finish them this month, maybe for something different afterwards I should get Ahriman Akhenaten done? Plus my gold spray is running out so I'm not sure if it could do 10 models...

Thanks, I'm thinking of calling it bluple due to the blue tinge I give it :tongue.: I've got the gold done:

gallery_30308_15068_60127.jpg

I'll break them down into batches of three to start with at least, the detail can be a curse as you earn the blessing of how good they look when finished :tongue.: I managed to secure a new gold spray can from GW too so I'll not be restricted on next projects, not a moment too soon as they appeared to be all sold out after my order :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to make progress now the bluple is done:

gallery_30308_15068_31315.jpg

I made the previous mistake of trying to do all the purple at once. It is more efficient but it is a bit of a pain and fiddly, I'll try and be better for the next lot and stick to the plan! It doesn't help if the efficiency gain is cancelled out by the hassle :tongue.: I have a Retributor Armour pot for touching up the gold now which should help, once that is done there's not a great deal left :smile.:

Ok the banding, metal and robes aren't that much better when it comes to being detail work but there's a lot less compared to the purple. Now I have a new gold spray can also my future options have opened up but I think something a bit different would be wise as a break from the Rubrics, keep my Sons fresh before jumping into the third box?