New techpriest model in Kill Team

MajorNese

Thanks Mushkilla

Here's the email I sent :

Hello,

I am the proud owner of an Adeptus Mechanicus army and I think there must be an error with the point cost of the Tech-priest Manipulus. Indeed, according to the Warhammer community post, it is said that the points cost of the Tech-priest Manipulus would be between Tech-priest Enginseer and Tech-priest Dominus. Now for Warhammer 40K the Tech-priest Manipulus in its cheapest configuration (90 points happens to be as expensive as Tech-priest Dominus (90 points) in the same configuration. And if we compare their most expensive configuration, the Tech-priest Manipulus (95 points) becomes more expensive than the Tech-priest Dominus (94 points) who his better overall.

If you check the biggest forum talking about Warhammer 40K there is an incomprehension about the point cost of the miniature. People seems to think that the miniature should have a point cost of 55 in its cheapest configuration and 60 in its most expensive configuration and I agree with them.

I would also like to talk to you about Kastelan robots, their Battle protocols and Cybernetica Datasmith. I think it would be wiser to allow immediate change of the protocol in the current battle round rather than the next Battle round as the rule currently states. This would improve the tactical flexibility of the unit and may surprise the opponent.  I know that there is a stratagem that allows you to change the protocol immediately but this very stratagem also prevents the player from changing it for the rest of the game. This stratagem should only be used when you have lost any possibility of changing the protocol. By allowing the Cybernetica Datasmith to be able to immediately change the protocol it would make the model more useful because unfortunately it is only rarely played in the competitive environment.

Best regards,

I hope this change gets done, and the model gets its moment to shine. I only fear that the army isn't popular enough to warrant the change or illicit the response from the community to make them give it a serious look. (It takes some effort right?)

I'm hopeful it'll happen but I think this is one of the least popular factions, and probably gets a fraction of the time in the limelight so I'm sure I'm not the only one that was massively surprised they even went ahead with this unit.

To be honest, I think AdMech grew quite popular in the last year. There's a trickle of new units (techpriest here, questoris knights there, some armigers, a castellan) and rules (CA points, secutarii, termite, vigilus detachments) which keeps people occupied (and expanding their army), and one of my local groups approaches 50% AdMech players now. Everyone without a specific concept grew tired of IG, older players without a specific concept grew tired of yet another marines army, and AdMech is simply something else, with extremely detailed models too.

It's not marines (with/without spikes) in popularity, but (at least locally) more players than all but the biggest xenos factions. Compared to the other mini-dexes from back in the day (DW, harlequins, GSC) they have been doing a lot better since then. GSC now gains more traction with a huge release, but except for that, I haven't seen anyone play these guys in a year.

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like the Kill Team faction releases and 40k rules conversions are rather slapdash for the most part, with the new techpriest being no exception.  I know GW wants to double-down on releases and catch multiple playerbases (skirmish vs. full-size wargame) but ultimately I feel that more care and attention should be taken on the rules quality for the release.

Outside of that, even with a points drop the Manipulus just doesn't have much "wow" factor for me.  Beyond my base dislike of the model, the rules themselves mean he's far off my radar.

To be honest, I think AdMech grew quite popular in the last year. There's a trickle of new units (techpriest here, questoris knights there, some armigers, a castellan) and rules (CA points, secutarii, termite, vigilus detachments) which keeps people occupied (and expanding their army), and one of my local groups approaches 50% AdMech players now. Everyone without a specific concept grew tired of IG, older players without a specific concept grew tired of yet another marines army, and AdMech is simply something else, with extremely detailed models too.

It's not marines (with/without spikes) in popularity, but (at least locally) more players than all but the biggest xenos factions. Compared to the other mini-dexes from back in the day (DW, harlequins, GSC) they have been doing a lot better since then. GSC now gains more traction with a huge release, but except for that, I haven't seen anyone play these guys in a year.

I am pretty isolated as far as not having a gaming group currently but with Forgebane, two Battleforces and Kill Team, either they are becoming pretty popular or they are desperate to shift this army. I obviously can't tell how well they have sold but my gut instinct is the same as your opinion.

If you are looking for desperate shifting, look no further than primaris. Half a dozen pushfit boxes, free test painting primaris models, two battleforces (with the highest discount by far), two campaign boxes (Tooth and Claw, Wake the Dead) and unique primaris lieutenants for every occasion/box/event/chapter/monday morning.

AdMech is doing well. No one cares about yet another IG battleforce with the same old models as the last half decade, but people can still be tempted to go into AdMech. Imagine the insane army starting rush they could have created when including a squad of good old Cadians in the big Killteam box - half a dozen such squads would have just evaporated when the local IG player said "Yeah, whatever, a few more recruits...".

And yes, the whole divided attention of killteam and 40k is noticeable in the rules. But worse for a local player base - necromunda didn't gain traction, and was dead the second killteam got released. Titanicus just serves as conversion fodder. Blood Bowl takes away some enthusiasts, as well as Killteam, as well as Warhammer Quest. It took a while of killteam losing traction so that one could just show up with a 40k army and have a game. Spacing the releases out would have definitely helped...

I love the model, his points are OTT but hopefully this will be fixed... However, I'm hoping it means more Ad Mech releases in the future.

While not lacking in options by any means, it would be nice to have some more - particularly in fast attack/ heavy support and a transport... Maybe a flyer ;)

I suppose i'm mostly bummed about the Fate of Cyraxus and the... FAR too much unbuilt resin chilling in boxes I had ready for it.

This isn't really a popularity discussion, but all I can speak from is what I see locally, and experience competitively. The army is nearly a bottom feeder at tournies, but even locally me and one other guy would be 'regular' AdMech players, and that includes all the games I see/play at the local GW. I mean they are surprisingly unpopular here. I know we have a large core of competitive players, but let's just say there's no shortage of eldar/Knights, etc....

Also they are plopping them in boxes so much... I have piles of red plastic. To me that's a sign as well.

I think this new model could be the start of something very cool. The 40K line is really in need of fleshing out. But I have a feeling this might be it for a while with the rumours of Chaos and the great second coming of Primaris units I've heard about.

Is an extra 2 inches for an advance really that good? I definitely see the benefits for the range though especially for over watch.

And thank the Omnissiah it is an aura and not another :cussing stratagem.

Archived