Reinhards Primaris Crusade

Very nice. I'd personally add a little bit of a light effect on the bit for the Sword Brother's backpack reliquary, but that's just me.

Yeah, theres's other detailing too, like scribbles on the red crusader seals, maybe a cross or pattern on the tabard, lighting in the reliquary. A crusade badge on the hip plate perhaps

Excellent work on the Sword Brethren. What's his name?

Sword brother Dolphus, since someone flattered me with saying he bears a resemblance to some M2 actor :tongue.:
Dolphus Lundgrinius I assume

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well time sure flies. Didn't think it'd been this long but It's pretty much been half a year since I updated... I've not exactly been idle either during this time so there's a bunch of stuff to go through. Thanks to Brother Christopher for making me realize I've been procrastinating at updating this thread (though he didn't adress me specifically)

So, incoming silly amount of photos below...

Let's start with something basic, a blade guard lieutenant model that isn't available all the time, i forget what the conditions were. Gave him one of the new blade guard helmets from the SB kit:

med_gallery_65134_15160_223637.jpg

This is actually the imperial hachette unique captain I tossed random bits on:

med_gallery_65134_15160_25734.jpg

Judging by the tabard he's still WIP here.

Lunch box Marshal

med_gallery_65134_15160_256525.jpg

Sword brethren. LOVE the kits. HATE gluing the capes.

gallery_65134_15160_244646.jpg

Another shot of them, a bit easier to see each individually. What's more there's a castellan added in there for fun

gallery_65134_15160_349255.jpg

This blurry mess is just a shot of the main time sink. I'm updating basically all of these models. Primarily through new helmets, but also chained weapons, and eventually Templar bling like purity seals and relics. Basically I got a lot to go through

gallery_65134_15160_42524.jpg

A before and after the Templar makeover. Also the first model with a pyreblaster

med_gallery_65134_15160_181875.jpg

Another before and after, though I think by now I've also altered his hbp arm as well

med_gallery_65134_15160_276447.jpg

Some random post makeover models, hell blaster sergeants on the left got some of the cool SB helmets with targeter bits on them

gallery_65134_15160_54051.jpg

Ditto

gallery_65134_15160_69267.jpg

And again

gallery_65134_15160_22939.jpg

Even some blade guard got some headswaps

gallery_65134_15160_346390.jpg

And the blade guard marshal

gallery_65134_15160_86733.jpg

Suddenly Helbrecht. Gave his goons some skitarri cowled heads so to better invoke the artwork, though i couldn't not use the cool new helmet. Think his paintwork needs to be gone over extensively at some later point, but I'm not short on things needing doing

gallery_65134_15160_188538.jpg

Grimaldus. Really dirty early WIP, but I'm not sure I got him photographed further along

gallery_65134_15160_100482.jpg

More Sword brethren.

gallery_65134_15160_166465.jpg

gallery_65134_15160_132567.jpg

gallery_65134_15160_48747.jpg

gallery_65134_15160_49827.jpg

gallery_65134_15160_27201.jpg

You might just spot a few older bare heads that have been repurposed to go here...

Swordbrethren need a lot of capes:

gallery_65134_15160_316208.jpg

So how many sword brethren do I have? This gives a rough idea

gallery_65134_15160_98820.jpg

But I found out after taking it I'd missed a couple, and I got 1 more still on sprue.

Lastly the neophytes:

gallery_65134_15160_143319.jpg

Quite like the models, but leg pose variety just isn't enough for all of them with just 2. You can clearly see the repitition through these 8, and I'm thinking about having more than twice as many than this.

Anyway, if you looked through that entire avalanche, thank you.

The Emperor Protects.

Edited by Reinhard

Oh, boy. You most certainly have not been procrastinating. What an army to behold. I admire your resolve when it comes to edge highlighting - the style has a great old-school aesthetic and I can only imagine how demanding it can be to paint so many troops in such a uniform fashion. Thanks for sharing these amazing Templars; I'm also glad that the post in my thread inspired you to update yours!

The hooded servitors work very well - a nice callback to the 4th Edition Codex art - I think they work better than the original heads.

Quite like the models, but leg pose variety just isn't enough for all of them with just 2. You can clearly see the repitition through these 8, and I'm thinking about having more than twice as many than this.

That's my main problem with the BT release - the models are very cool, the updated aesthetic is okay, plus the dedicated BT kits add a bit of the much needed variety to regular Intercessors in terms of armour and weapons ornamentation; however, variety of bodies/leg poses is a disgrace.

• 1 month later...

Trying to get a hang of the new system. Had gotten very used to the old one.

This basically focuses on the crusaders, the big blurry mess in the middle of my last post.

Fewer images than the last update, many many more models per image.

The Autobolter Crusaders.

186483403_ABRCrusaders.thumb.jpg.2731eea0509fd3597c6626eabbd0e271.jpg

Bolt pistol and Chainsword Crusaders. +2 ABR Crusaders i missed in the last photo.

259647880_BPCSCrusaders.thumb.jpg.b9c9e8263d4b250a72f6ca352a41f2ac.jpg

Powerfists

852319604_PowerfistCrusaders.thumb.jpg.8778d227775665a73cb5f311102b1f9f.jpg

Pyreblasters.

1833909008_PyreblasterCrusaders.thumb.jpg.28f87a2eb685eda5b7d5ea80102acfa4.jpg

Clearly a myriad of things left to do. a lot to tidy up.. particularly on the pyreblasters' weapons, missed arms etc. But it's less of an insurmountable mountain now in terms of things left to do.

When everythings tidied up and ready, I'll make proper squad photos, the crusade overlook in the first post of the thread is woefully out of date.

Thanks for looking

Edited by Reinhard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 4:47 PM, Marshall Mittens said:

Great stuff! Do you have any group shots with it all laid out? It must be very impressive!

I haven't actually. Don't have the space. I intend to take some steps towards being able to pull something off to that end, in perhaps a month's time?

Edited by Reinhard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Almost 2 quarters since last update. Let's get cracking. First a couple of weird ones:

A collage of (most of) the bare faces of the crusade:

1449386196_40faces.thumb.jpg.d2758d257487938504d2b7a9b10f6afb.jpg

This is already out of date as there were quite a few ones I redid after seeing them up close like this. Also been experimenting more with different skin tones. Future updates will feature more of those as I nail it down better.

Next up. Tilt shields. There's a lot of them. Here's 70, which is still not all of them. 

1511252070_collage1080.thumb.jpg.2dfae30ae25f1ff3d223ffc2a31cf8d0.jpg

Photoing my minis up close like this I was horrified to find I've been fighting a losing battle against the 5th chaos god: Dust. I see many hours dusting off minis in the future.

Veteran intercessors:

1728421170_VeteranIntercessors.thumb.jpg.7001b34660ef8f3c5de7abe1fd2b7f84.jpg

Strange choice of addition to a Templar crusade, perhaps. But these are in fact in large part my old Dark Imperium Intercessors, most of which kinda have to go with standard bolt rifles. Since Crusaders only use Auto bolt rifles, I decided I'd put these guys in their own easily identifiable squad. Lore wise I figure theymight in fact be some of the initial primaris reinforcements sent to the crusade, that impressed the marshals enough with their zeal (and ability to survive endless grueling campaigns) that they were finally awarded the right to wear the red and fight together in their own squad in their preffered way. That's about as progressive as you can get as a Templar.

Here's my veteran sergeants, in matching colours. Think Castor on the right is new.

DSC04087.thumb.JPG.7b740a46336a35eb369636d98ae55803.JPG

Also, gotta dig the progressively larger base size :tongue:

Next up Castellans. But not any of the new BT ones, no, the older ones. My tendency to want everything, meant I got most of the older ones. Compared to the new one you can make out of the Swordbrethren kit, they all felt a little left behind. Here they've been given a make over with some templary bits, swords, shoulder pads and such. Their poses meant that only Amulius in the center could really take a cape.

DSC04089.thumb.JPG.8ecd9dcffa0b7ec0c5d0b83b23bb8b13.JPG

Biggest challange were actually the original DI Auto bolt rifle lieutenant and the 500th store celebration one, but since I had quite a few of the new auto plasmas from the several sword brethren kits I had gotten it felt like a shame not to use them. The rules also means they can have swords at the same time, so both of them are sporting sheathed chainswords. Feel they fit in a lot more now.

Speaking of castellans, when I first saw this guy I knew I had to eventually convert him into one.

DSC04090.thumb.JPG.71a2a7a15c9d0873c0de7ad0acc32f39.JPG

The sculpted Inquisition I on his leg meant it only felt natural to make him into a returning Death Watch veteran. Added some witchseeker bolts to hammer it in.

Anyone remember these two? Saw some interesting conversions of the guy on the left in particular so I figured I'd give them a second chance, continuing the theme of

"returning death watch veteran", as the phobos armor otherwise makes them a bit too tacticool compared to the rest of the crusade.

DSC04088.thumb.JPG.4f8f80e864d181b79dbeaae59fd7e889.JPG

From thin to THICC

DSC04086.thumb.JPG.14c93e00361d134014d418936c9b4da1.JPG

Decided to convert a couple of .. well. I guess they're Gravis castellans. If anyone recalls back before the great BT refresh. 9th had just launched. We finally had assault intercessors. Chainswords were back in style. Then we got an unexpected gravis expansion. Heavy intercessors, Eradicators. Many of us thought "Ok, how about some Heavy assault interecessors". Well at least I did. Armed with heavy eviscerators. I still want that, and this I guess is a small outlet for that. Where'd I get the weapons? Well the new Gravis captain came with some.

Which brings me to:

DSC04091.thumb.JPG.2e700e7f8ea861623ddfeddc280d8fb7.JPG

Pretty standard fare. Finally found a permanet home for that Blade guard ancients helm from the Indomitus box (as I removed the cowl, as with the orginal Gravis captain. They remind too much of a librarian hood)

Blade guard helmets on gravis armor? Might be on to something here:

DSC03934.thumb.JPG.52301f2e49b20abf8ac36d77144307b0.JPG

Yeah, definately.

Another 3 sword brethren:

DSC03933.thumb.JPG.9bc061a1d187629f00f46ad36d0e5e6e.JPG

The reason why the two on the flanks look so weird is because they're actually Calgar's mooks. Was actually the deciding factor for me getting that kit, way waaay before the idea of turning him into a Gravis Chaplain came along.

Grimaldus & retinue sort of done

DSC03935.thumb.JPG.ff8bd60e4ca231b95b96fd03085257e1.JPG

Redoing him in part because they were involved in a brutal accident, snapping of his crozius for a second time. He's one my favourite characters so I've given him a fresh arm and will take my time getting him right.

Ancients:

DSC03939.thumb.JPG.93e13a3a54fdd83962a8928375daea1d.JPG

Why replace the cool skeleton on the blade guard ancient in the center? Well he was unfortunately part in the same accident as Grimaldus. Lucky that the new ancient kit came with 2 banners... Work in progress

Of course, my drive to always get one of everything meant that I of course got that "Primaris Company champion"

DSC03940.thumb.JPG.876822797034b0828844c27235269309.JPG

Unsure if we can even field him? But with the sword swap I gave him he works fine as an alternate Emperor's champion. I already got several anyway.

Of course, speaking of the Emperor's champion, I must have gotten Bayard's revenge, right?

DSC04008.thumb.JPG.46ed431d59b076fdb53ca6c257207946.JPG

Yes, I in fact got no less than three. Saving most of them for a rainy day in the future....

... though I couldn't resist giving my blade guard marshal a new helm yet again. This time I think it will finally stick though.

DSC04010.thumb.JPG.f400050d340c3b126f315a45a00b33d9.JPG

And I think that's it.... this post just kept growing longer and longer as I remembered more and more things I had done.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Marshal Reinhard
Grammar. The second bane of my existence. After dust.

Great stuff on the level of the whole of the army, as well as individual level of single miniatures. I spent quite a bit of time to take a close look at all the photos. Special thanks for the effort you put into the collages of faces and tilt shields.

As far as I can tell, you also have some quite rare and/or unique models. The choice of colours for the servitors' robes is very interesting.

38 minutes ago, mytimeprez said:

Truly inspiring and incredible work here brother. What you’ve done with the new kits is awesome and updating your collection is amazing. 

crusade on brother. 

3 minutes ago, Brother Christopher said:

Great stuff on the level of the whole of the army, as well as individual level of single miniatures. I spent quite a bit of time to take a close look at all the photos. Special thanks for the effort you put into the collages of faces and tilt shields.

As far as I can tell, you also have some quite rare and/or unique models. The choice of colours for the servitors' robes is very interesting.

Thanks a lot!

Took a bit effort in assembling the collages (even with specialized tools)

As far as the color choice for the robes on the servitors goes, I'm pretty sure I came across it while browsing instagram and decided to just pilfer the idea. Felt like an easy way of making them pop vs the underlying garment, and also different from the colours in use by the templars themselves. I do a mostly vanilla scheme on the whole, but with some specific quirks, like the all white chest eagles, the purple sword handles, etc. Guess green servitor robes might be added to the list. Am also gonna revisit Helbrecht in the not too distant future

Wow this is one hell of an update! Everything looks great! I especially like the gravis castellans. Id really love to see GW expand that more seening yours!

Love the collage of the tiltshields since im painting a few at the moment I just paints whatevers on my mind. But often finding it hard to come up with something new. 

Keep it up!

Btw i would looooove and army shot!

Edited by Sir Clausel

31 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

Wow this is one hell of an update! Everything looks great! I especially like the gravis castellans. Id really love to see GW expand that more seening yours!

Love the collage of the tiltshields since im painting a few at the moment I just paints whatevers on my mind. But often finding it hard to come up with something new. 

Keep it up!

Btw i would looooove and army shot!

Thanks. Army shot might come sooner than you think.

Biggest obstacle has been me wanting the army to be "complete" first... but the crusader squads needs more neophytes. Had been hoping GW would release some primaris scout squad so I could introduce some body variety as 2 poses is not enough for the 24 planned i have, even with a variety of arms available. Was hoping kill team would deliver, but doesn't seem like it, at least for the forseeable future.

Might just take the time to set them up for a group shot next time i got a day off. Since I actually have something of suitable space available for once..

• 2 weeks later...