Sanguinius & Weekender Schedule

Joe

How do people thing FW will get people into HH?

I believe from FW's point of view the HH setting is for experienced or older gamers who have the disposable income to spend on their products.

Which is bitterly ironic, because the lack of Start Collecting style boxes is what keeps the veterans with money (in my area at least) out of the HH line. That, and having to buy from FW directly because the FLGS can't get it.

They practically have a lisence to print money, and they refuse.

The only thing that comes to mind that involves using the plastics without going the Start Collecting boxes route would ve bundles in the FW page with actual discounts. Something like a 20 man tactical squad (MkIII or MkIV) with shoulder and/or head upgrades at a nice discount, 10 man terminator squads with a special weapons pack (not so sure which ones are still available), maybe a bigger bundle like a Pride of the Legion core, with 10-20 terminators and/or 2 veteran squads with all the aesthetical upgrades, and a Legion Specific praetor or the resin/plastic generic ones.

A ‘Start Collecting’ Box is a very specific product from Games Workshop. When they say they aren’t going to pursue that, they probably mean the one squad, one character, and one big’un the Star Collecting boxes have. I completely believe they understand that most people bought Calth and Prospero to start Heresy armies and not play the board game.

(Ironically, as an aside, I found a post by Anuj in mid 2018 stating that "Sigismund is definitely not OP". :huh.:)

That was Anuj as an Imperial Fists player and fan. It was Anuj the FW employee that wrote the FAQ. Unless he snuck Sigismund something special...

For the people who got to see the rules, do dawn breakers get bolt pistols?

Dual Volkite Serpentas Baseline apparently.

Those are the Angel's Tears, which are a destroyer unit. Dawnbreakers are the melee jump pack unit armed with stolen EC spears.

For the people who got to see the rules, do dawn breakers get bolt pistols?

Dual Volkite Serpentas Baseline apparently.

Those are the Angel's Tears, which are a destroyer unit. Dawnbreakers are the melee jump pack unit armed with stolen EC spears.

Yep, I realized after I posted; Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Apparently EC Spears with an option for Dual Swords like Khentai Occult.

My assumption would be no pistols.

I find it hard to believe that Dawn bringer/breakers (and any legion that isn’t EC) have access to phoenix spears. Are we sure they are literally phoenix spears or have people stuck with that info as it was easy to paraphrase the spears as such?

I find it hard to believe that Dawn bringer/breakers (and any legion that isn’t EC) have access to phoenix spears. Are we sure they are literally phoenix spears or have people stuck with that info as it was easy to paraphrase the spears as such?

Most likely the stats are Similar so people just short handed them to EC Spears.

I find it hard to believe that Khan had lower weapon skill than Dorn or Perturabo

Doesn't actually affect anything gamewise in the longterm.

I can believe the WS thing. It takes considerably more skill to fight in "proper" hand to hand with swords/fists than it does to run someone through with a spear. It's one of the reasons the bulk of later European armies were made of pikemen as opposed to swordsmen.

There's always been some weirdness in terms of primarch ws. Perturabo has 8, with no great fluff justification, as does dorn. Curze is weird in that a lot of primarchs look down on him, but he either is equal to the lion, solos the lion and RG, or gets rocked by the lion; I guess as the night haunter they wanted him to be reliable at murdering people.

Imo dorn and perty should be 7, while corax and the khan should be 8

Apparently the spears have the same profile as Phoenix spears ("star spears"?) but have a different name. Found a single person who said the profile was "similar" but the overwhelming majority of others who were there say it was identical. Guess we'll find out in a couple of months. Palatines are getting an update in the FAQ which will hopefully give them a much needed boost and perhaps differentiate them somewhat from the new kids on the block.

As for the Khan's WS, I have to admit I'd expected 8. Being WS7 will have a significant impact on his Primarch dueling ability, although we can't say for certain without seeing the rest of his rules.

His WS is equal to that of Mortarion, whom he fought to a standstill in Scars of course - that might be part of the reasoning behind it. Having Fulgrim's 3++ in melee helps him a lot, but hitting some Primarchs on 4's when he's being hit on 3's (WS8's: Horus, Curze, Perturabo, Dorn, Fulgrim) is going to really hurt. Again, his abilities when seen in unison might help with this. When on foot he's one of the cheapest Primarchs, but with his bike he's up with the best in terms of price.

But as a battlefield character, I still think he's going to be utterly lethal. Having a jetbike gives him the kind of maneuverability other Primarchs can only dream of. Putting the Khan down is going to be a nightmare.

But as a battlefield character, I still think he's going to be utterly lethal. Having a jetbike gives him the kind of maneuverability other Primarchs can only dream of. Putting the Khan down is going to be a nightmare.

That.

Who cares about his WS when he got the ability to be wherever you want him to be in one turn and strike whover needs striking?

HSS, Rapier units, artillery tanks etc. are going to get wasted by him no doubt about that. Wonderful primarch if you ask me.

My opinion...

I think the Khan fought Mortarion to a standstill not because they had equal skills with the blade, but because even though the Khan was the superior blade-master, Mortarion had greater physical strength and durability. Mortarion was bleeding more...but it was the Khan who was being more physically drained. So I'd give Khan higher WS and I, and Mort higher S and a better save.

Again, I'm approaching this from a fluff perspective, which might not be the best approach for the tabletop (I also didn't like Corax's WS7). A WS7 Khan just seems really off to me, even though it seems he's perfectly functional on the tabletop.

trouble with the Khan, is we know he is good, but we dont really know how good. He fights Mortarion to a standstill which is impressive, but mortarion has never been depicted as top tier in terms of pure fighting ability. Because the Khan is so secretive we don't have the same general info on him. We know Russ is a brilliant warrior because its common knowledge in the setting, we know the same of Angron and Sanguinius and the Lion.

It's hard.

For me, the Khan being WS7 did seem a little odd too, BUT what they did, was they gave him additional rules that make him better than many others in other ways. ALWAYS going first is a huge deal so long as you have decent weapons (he does). his 3++ in combat means he is probably one of the most survivable in a fight, and the reason is he is great at parrying. I'd view it as him being a better defensive fighter than almost all of them, and preferring rapid strikes when on the offense.

I like Blindhamster's summary, and I agree fully.

I think the Khan fought Mortarion to a standstill not because they had equal skills with the blade, but because even though the Khan was the superior blade-master, Mortarion had greater physical strength and durability. Mortarion was bleeding more...but it was the Khan who was being more physically drained. So I'd give Khan higher WS and I, and Mort higher S and a better save.

It still feels appropriate when you look at both Primarchs together holistically. Rather than just looking at their weapon skills, look at the whole picture:

The Khan has higher attacks and speed; Mortarion has higher toughness and wounds; both are equal WS. Without bringing precise number crunching into it, on the actual tabletop, the Khan's superior combat speed, attacks and initiative are going to mean that he hits first and dodges 2/3 of Mortarion's attacks. Mortarion will conversely be hitting last every time but has the benefit of his superior resilience, yet only blocks 50% of the Khan's attacks thanks to his Barbaran Plate rather than his athleticism. Their weapon skills can therefore be identical on the tabletop, but the rest of their equipment and abilities means that their duel from Scars will be replicated with reasonable accuracy. And we don't know the Khan's blade stats yet (other than duelist) which may factor into it. There is no way to depict someone getting utterly spent - which the Khan was - but the system still fits.

I'm still surprised he's not WS8, which probably wouldn't have interfered with the results much, but I think there's a compelling argument to be made for him being where he is if we're comparing him to Mortarion. With no data from the books on other opponents, there's nothing else to go by.

Archived