++A Cloak of Foes Felled++ Thunder Warriors in 30k

TheTrans

Next up we have the Mi-24.

This thing is bloody huge and was certainly an interesting project to plan and complete..then to mount (and now figuring out to transport it) nothing has been standard with the thing haha.

Fluff!

Mi-24(t) Uragan Sokol (Hurricane Falcon)

The Mi-24(t), or the Uragan Sokol as it is more affectionately named, the Hurricane Falcon is a callback to another age.
This heavy gunship was once the mainstay aircraft of many of Vozdukh-Glavanayas Zavista-Grads during the golden age of humanity. There were many variants of these excellent gunships, some outfitted for purely ground attack missions, other for heavy rolling bombardment runs, but by far the most common was the standard Mi-24(t).
Unimaginatively, the (t) denoted it was for transport purposes. It could readily move a fully equipped platoon of Samolet-Streloks, while still providing formidable close in air support. Given its role as both a transport and gunship, it is heavily armoured to protect its cargo, with many redundant systems built in. There is one well-worn story of an Mi-24 surviving a mid-air collision with an enemy fighter. The fighter was destroyed outright while the Mi-24 it managed to limp back to its base Zavista-Grad on only a single primary engine and 3 of its VTOL jets.
As seems to be a common trend, during Long Night, many of the technologically forward Zavista-Grads were lost and with them their knowledge on the construction of the Mi-24s with only a few rare Zavista-Grads having licences and the ability to build more. As Long Night continued less and less of this brutish gunships were seen across the breadth of Vozdukh-Glavnaya.
Once Compliance was certified, most, if not all the remaining Mi-24s were taken into the 78th Expeditionary Fleet much to the chagrin of remaining military commanders on Vozdukh-Glavnaya.
It starts to become less wondrous that during the great Patriotic War that ZG-Mirnoye had an almost unheard amount of Mi-24s that somehow miraculously avoided the Imperial Tithe. Some proclaim it was another gift from the Tattered Prince, others that ZG-Mirnoye had long mothballed some of these rare gunships for use at a later date, even odder still, that they may have the ability to continue construction of these craft. No matter where the Mi-24(t)s of ZG-Mirnoye were acquired from, the Tattered Prince has put them to good use. They are almost soley for use as transports for his remaining Cataegis warriors.
Over the course of the Great Patriotic War, even the sighting of an Mi-24(t) loitering over enemy strongholds has caused massed surrender and routs for fear of their deadly cargo being deployed against the defenders.

gallery_40397_16000_141241.jpg
Bog standard front on picture. Just added a lot of lenses/lights to the front of it as I imagine the thing is half flown by internal cogitators and servitors. For those for the keen of eye, you can see the tip of one of the lascannons as well as the two melta guns that make up the TL-Multi Melta.

gallery_40397_16000_205255.jpg
Just a gratuitous top shot. As per usual, my photo skills are terrible, the dark streaks are actually water effects streaked on to look like rain dragging along the fuselage.

gallery_40397_16000_135480.jpg
Another top shot from a slightly different angle.

gallery_40397_16000_90364.jpg
Just a close in shot of the pilot and his canopy. I must say this caused some furor on converting groups and what not with people really having problems with the limited view of the cockpit. Odd hill to die on I thought in a world of super humans, weaponised ants, flying bricks and all sorts of oddities haha.

gallery_40397_16000_130386.jpg
Side shot so you can see the profile of it. As you can see, quite thiiic in the front with the assault troop bay, but chills out a little more as it reaches the back. I feel it gives it a cool, interesting look to it. At the back of the plane you can probably spot the counts as vengeance launcher.
gallery_40397_16000_198599.jpg
Under shot showing off the ball turret which is housing the second twin-linked lascannon. Also a couple of downwards thrusters to allow some handwavium that it can infact hover!
gallery_40397_16000_5968.jpg
Just a shot of the base. Standard rain drops + falling water that is repeated across much of the arm. I must say though, due to the size of it, this base was really fun to work on, I felt I could really lean into it and add some character!

gallery_40397_16000_238246.jpg
Just another shot of the base, its quite heavy (huge chunks of wood within it) so is oddly stable, even given the size and weight of the flier on top of it.

gallery_40397_16000_300844.jpg
Little family shot. I think they came out looking similar enough to have a single point of design like logic, but different enough that the two types are definitely their own!

Hope you guys like that, just got some a character and some more cataegis to come!

Such a wonderful model and you've breathed such life into him with the back story.

Thanks a heap mate, I find the backstory really helps flesh out the model and the mood I'm trying to depict.

Great to finally see the Prince in all his completed glory!
Well done!

Thanks mate, yeah he took a bit of getting there!

What a beautiful, unique and original project; absolutely amazing work! :thumbsup::smile.:

Thanks mate! I feel between these and the dark mech I've painted (pun pun pun) myself into a corner of weirdness for whatever the next army is!

Hey mate, ive really been enjoying your work. Your models have a real tangibility to them, with all the little details and weight behind their posing

Im really impressed with the basing as well. The overgrown look is wonderful and the rain really grounds the model in a unique way. Your models have a really unique, unified tone and it's really great seeing a force that reeks of melancholy just as much as it's composed of hulking metahumans.

Love the rain streaking effect as well.

Oh these planes are lovely.

Also nice touch to use the polish military decal on your troop ship.

Stunning. I always look foreward to a new post from you.

Thanks brother! Yeah wanted some soviet vibes to all of it, so just went on a soviet decal purchasing binge haha.

Will try and get some more posted soon! 

Hey mate, ive really been enjoying your work. Your models have a real tangibility to them, with all the little details and weight behind their posing

Im really impressed with the basing as well. The overgrown look is wonderful and the rain really grounds the model in a unique way. Your models have a really unique, unified tone and it's really great seeing a force that reeks of melancholy just as much as it's composed of hulking metahumans.

Love the rain streaking effect as well.

Thanks mate! Yeah I always try to have little realistic (well as realistic as possible) bits on them that hopefully 'grounds' them if that makes sense?

Cheers! Yeah Melancholy is an excellent word for the vibes of what I was trying to get across. The overgrown was an attempt to get some chernobyl feels to it...and melancholy perfectly sums up what it felt like playing the STALKER games. 

Yeah trying to simulate rain on fast moving models was a bit of a mind bender haha, can't really have the 'drip' effect that I have on the other ones, 

Damn! That transport is a real inspiration. I love seeing converged stuff like this. Also, I like that the transport has a similar look to the fighters. I think you’re right, it makes the group look like they belong together. 

Thanks mate! Yeah definitely wanted something that made them feel like an army as opposed to a hodge podge collection of vehicles haha. 

So had a quick little game with a mate the other night!

List went ok, it is very open to having the limited 'on board' components shot off turn 1 haha which isn't ideal!

Anyway figured I'd take the opportunity to take a pic of the force as it stands!

gallery_40397_16000_403156.jpg
So shot of the army together, I think it shows how big the old Mi-24 is haha.

gallery_40397_16000_1169339.jpg
Just a cool shot I thought, with the fliers coming in behind him!

gallery_40397_16000_520400.jpg
And another cool shot of the Cataegis awaiting pickup!

Anyway I've got the event tomorrow (finally!) so am looking forward to getting out there and rolling some dice! I'll try and grab pics of the battles and do some little battle reports if I get tiem!

I like how brutal and intimidating the Mi-24(t) is. Excellent work.

Thanks mate! Really wanted it to look like it could just punch through heavy flak and what not.

:jawdrop: Freaking Awesome

Thanks brother!

• 7 months later...

Not dead...yet!

Been over 6 months of radio silence, so many apologies for that gang, got heavily invested into some warhammer 6th edition and have been working on a Von Carstein army which has been an absolute blast! 

Currently renovating the house to sell (kill me....) but that will hopefully be done in the next week, so hobby should finally start back up in a few weeks as I'm starting to get the hobby itches again! 

Luckily Victoria (Australia) has the amazing Preferred Enemy coming up that I'll be building the force toward. It is 2750 points so is an odd selection (well in Oz anyway where many events go no-LoW 2k or all madness allowed 3k). So this means my force needs some expanding and shimmying about ('ll bang a list up a bit later) but I've got parts on the way from all over and have started work (pre-renos) on some more fliers. 

But to tide you all over, I commissioned an art piece from the ever amazing George Abalayan who has looked after me and made spat out some of the most amazing art I've seen! 

I've recently learned how to make hard cover books from scratch so I'll be creating a proper little black book for my army in the forgeworld (well pre-crusade as that wasn't mind blowing) style and the below picture I think will be great as the front art (and a two-page spread somewhere within the book!

george-earl-abalayan-the-tattered-prince

Please look George up on Insta ( https://www.instagram.com/george.abalayan/ ) or jump onto the art station link for more zoomed in pics (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/klG04x)

Anyway I look forward to getting back onto the 30k train, so toot-toot mother cluckers!

(Huge apologies for the late replies!) 

Very nice looking force.

I really like the ground vehicle. Did you post a pic of that one somewhere as well (old memory sorry)

Thanks mate, I don't know if there are many pics of the Laska, scream out if you want some more!

Your aircraft wow me everytime I see them, The group shot even more so <3

Thanks mate, they have been a blast to build and I'll soon be working on a Storm Eagle/Fire Raptor magnetised build.

Dude, dude, duuuuuude! Excellent stuff. Maybe I missed it, but what are you playing them as? Custodes?

Thanks brother! Running them as Chimerae Black Shields in 30k, but if I was forced to run them in 40k custodes would probably be the money.

Damn this stuff is awesome! I really love the camo schemes and the ghillie suits are really nice touch, excellent stuff!!

Thanks mate, yeah thought the camo was important on a nominally human quasie 'realistic' (as it can be in 30k) force.

Beautiful, dude! Love the army shots!

Thanks mate!

Marvellous in every way. You've truly injected soul into this army. A great inspiration.

Thanks mate. Yeah really wanted there to be some life to them other than 'big tough soldier guys'

great work all round, from conversions to paining/finish!!

Thanks brother! 

Just while the hobby room is currently boxed up, figured I'd hurl up some pics that I didn't yet realise that I haven't put up haha.

These are the aged and dying Cataegis under the Tattered Princes command.

The Uvyadat Burya (The Fading Storm)

The Cataegis of the Uvyadat Burya, or the Fading Storm, are warriors whose time left amongst the realm of the living is measured in hours if not minutes. These are the Cataegis that the Mountebanks gene-magiks could not mend or save. Their bodies and minds are fully gripped by the genetic curse of the Thunder Warriors. Some suffer from complete mental breakdowns, others from sentient cancers gnawing at their organs, every symptom different, but each prognosis the same; an agonizing, ignoble, feeble death.
The Tattered Prince, forever the pragmatic sentimentalist devised a fitting end for his loyal comrades of old. The Cataegis under his command that could not be saved by the Mountebank would, if they chose to, be put into stasis pods, only to be released at the very height of a battle. Those terminally ill warriors readily accepted this last chance of glory and an honourable death and have been employed this way ever since.
During the battles of the Great Patriotic War the Tattered Prince had a special craft, The Otves Udarac, fitted for just the purpose of delivering these failing Cataegis to where they were needed most. They would be dropped into the thickest fighting, led by the Tattered Prince himself so that he may witness their final moments of glory. They would smash into enemy battle lines, those with some remaining cognisant ability cared not about self preservation, their thoughts only on wreaking as much damage upon the enemy as possible. As soon as they had broken their foes they would be taken back upon the Otves Udarac, carrying their fallen brothers with them and put immediately back into their stasis pods.
This is how it would forever be for the men of the Uvyadat Burya, their remaining time slowly dwindling down in jarring snippets of excruciating pain, frenzied madness and unspeakable
violence.

gallery_40397_16000_79351.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_12080.jpeg

This was the first sort of failing Cataegis I worked on, still wanted him to look quite lethal, but at the same time show that he was starting to shake apart, helmet blown away baring a somewhat crazy face beneath, one arm starting to mutate out as well as a leg leg blowing out of the armour plate.

gallery_40397_16000_177332.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_249372.jpeg

This guy is also still quite 'together' to me. Helmet is still good, but as you can see an arm is gone and one of his legs is a bionic with just the greave attached (The bionic is from one of the Ad Mech robo-horse legs, so these boys are of a decent size!).

gallery_40397_16000_144353.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_156768.jpeg

The above fella is the beginning of the degradation do me, although he is still clearly combat operable, his stomach has started to distend as well as an arm bursting out of its armour, he also has a bionic leg as well as the eye bleeds starting to kick in.

gallery_40397_16000_37252.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_275077.jpeg

This guy is approaching the failing point, stoically standing there, shield raised, you can't see it from the pic (and in hindsight, probably should have made it more clear) but his left arm is a shriveled sort of palsied little arm curled up against his chest, he has a constant respirator on and its just not a happy camper.

gallery_40397_16000_134506.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_141317.jpeg

Can't again tell great from the pics, but this dude is pretty close to gone, he is using his polearm to support his walk, one arm is gone to bionic,s and one of his legs (which you can't see) is simply dragging behind him. To me he is pretty close to end of life.

Anyway, pics and posts of pics is probably all the hobby I can get done at the moment, but cross your fingers for me for a quick and fruitful house sale and I can get back hobbying haha!

Cheers.

fantastic models and fantastic paintjob. im so impressed. I agree with Valkia the Blanchitsu style is perfect and shows how the dark Age schould be coulored.

Thanks a heap brother! Still loving the project, I would have to agree that I find the muted colours and relativley 'realisitc'-ish tone do sort of help 30k stand out in a weird sort of way, if that makes sense? 

I love your Blanchitsu-style painting style. I am one of the old farts and this is exactly how Warhammer is supposed to look IMO.

Thanks mate, I've always loved the Blanchitsu style! It also acts as an excellent way to hand wave away my quite messy painting haha.