Legio Favilla walks - Ashen Gods unleashed

Sherrypie

• 1 month later...

More gaming every once in a while!

My Ashen Gods kicked some God-Breaker butt yesterday, ~2600 points per side rushing to burn each other's backline objectives while wandering dust clouds blew up in the outskirts. The Iconoclast got checked by a Clawlord, lost all of its shields, was killed by another Warlord immediately afterwards and crippled one of my own Reavers on the way down, but the enemy had by this point already been aggressively outmaneuvered and cornered in their own deployment zone, soon to be torn apart by my demi-Ferroxes ripping into their flanks as they burned all of the objectives without losing any of our own.

1179138-.png
1179139-.png
1179140-.png
1179141-.png
1179142-.png
1179143-.png
1179144-.png
1179145-.png

Cheers, LB. The Iconoclast is big, stupid and expensive, which means that it's a great distraction carnifex. People are going to give it attention and your other guys are going to do the heavy lifting in relative peace. It's fun at 2500+, silly below that and useless at 2000 or less. Will play again.

Thanks. It's more or less what I suspected. It does look fun and I may well do one just for giggles for larger games. I did my Warmaster more for a centre piece than gaming. The white one has seen use in a 4000pt game and he utterly wrecked a Warlord in 1 turn, which was nice! but since then I haven't used him. Hopefully that'll change soon. 

The Iconoclast certainly seems more fun on paper. More dynamic anyway. 

• 1 month later...

2023 hobby tally: less than 50 bases

1181493-.png

With all the rest of the year being pretty hectic with other things, I didn't get particularly many new things further but had plenty of fun gaming and photography with the older things already at hand. Also organised the biggest Kriegspielmageddon bohnanza yet, which is only snowballing bigger with our RPG offshoot.

Finished projects:

- 12 stands of XIV legion heavy support (Epic)
- 7 Possessed XIV librarius aspirants (30k)
- 5 Castellax (Epic)
- 5 Techpriests (Epic)
- 6 Revenant Legionaires (KT)
- 4 Tarantula AA batteries (Epic)
- 4 Thanatars (Epic)
- 3 Ordinatus Minorii (Epic)

Dabbled with but unfinished:

- 5 Destroyers (30k)
- 7 Talons of the Emperor (KT)

Non-modelling stuff:

- Learning to use and upgrading photography equipment further

Next year: learning to focus stack properly with my fancy new camera and painting a new Auxilia army for Legions Imperialis that can also double as a Guard army for Epic: Armageddon.

• 1 month later...

Happy new year, everybody. I've been super busy with no time for proper hobbying (except for buying new stuff, I think my pile of unassembled Legions Solar Aux is mysteriously growing every week...), but I did once again organise more Titanicus goodness at the club. This year started with a bang, as our annual-ish AT mega-battle expanded into a two-day narrative event. I wrote custom missions so that we could first play three rounds of 1v1 games on Saturday where the winning side could dictate environmental conditions for the following round as well as earn some neat bonii for Sunday's all-in brawl.

-- War for the Angel's Grave 3.-4.2.2024 --

An ancient repository of knowledge, a forbidden and sealed esoteric weapon best forgotten or a relic of the broken dream now irrepairably lost? No-one knew precisely what the arcology known as the Angel's Grave held within its confines, but when Warmaster Horus decreed it to be taken, neither did his lackeys question the wisdom of such orders. Under the capricious auspices of the dark gods, god-machines marched into their dropships and hurtled through the blazing voids of the war-stricken galaxy with murder in their hearts...

The traitors slam down on the unsuspecting planet in the dark of night and spread out. From the barely habited outskirts, legios Krytos, Omina and Mortis plunge deep into the planet's infrastructure as the surprised loyalists scramble to face the threat. Legios Solaria, Astorum and Magna jump to hold the line and manage to stem the initial tide despite Krytos wreaking havoc on their communication towers. As the loyalist line refuses to crumble, their reserves in space enter the system and carve a bloody swathe through the traitors' fleet. As burning ships, scrap and satellites fall down on the planet in a rain of fire, the loyalist legios sally forth in a counter-attack to drive the traitors back. This seems to work, securing the defenders a decisive advantage in planetside artillery assets, until for the sudden and totally unforeseen betrayal by the Screaming Skulls! Who'd have thought those guys weren't on our side, absolutely shameful. With this stab in the back, both sides are forced to accept that this conflict will go on for a while and stock up on supplies from the available storages and techno-magi. With reserves from legio Favilla stepping onto the field to plug the hole left by Magna's treachery, the loyalists once more secure the continuing support of the Mechanicum and converge on the final showdown.

1186043-.png
1186054-.png

Four traitor commanders square against three loyalists with some 30 titans and 20 knights stalking the field. Ultramarines and Death Guard models are there to represent area control over various important objectives on the table as well as the critical supply depots no side can wage war without.

1186044-.png
1186045-.png

1186046-.png
1186047-.png

1186053-.png
1186055-.png

Astorum's supreme loyalist command leaves the supply depot lightly guarded, focusing their knightly allies on the right flank.

1186057-.png

Traitors, acutely aware of their tenuous grasp on the planet, guard theirs keenly with the newly arrived Tiger Eyes' deployment.

1186056-.png
1186060-.png

As the fight begins, deafening roar of war-horns fills the centre as Favilla pushes forwards. Fallen knights are vaporised before their volcano cannons, swatted aside like gnats as more worthy foes approach from Krytos' lines.

1186058-.png
1186059-.png
1186062-.png

On all flanks, forces advance into the fire.

1186061-.png
1186063-.png

In the middle, Excidium Ultimum and Deus Victrix hear the siren song of the Thunderdome. Two god-machines enter, who will leave?

1186064-.png
1186065-.png
1186067-.png

Fighting intensifies on the flanks, as Mortis reaches one of the habitats in force and knights swarm towards Omina's positions.

1186066-.png

Sensing an opportunity, one of Omina's Warhounds sneaks to threaten the loyalist supplies as Krytos' devastating volleys savage the Astorum Warmaster guarding them.

1186068-.png
1186048-.png

Despite losing its fist to Deus Victrix' fire, Excidium Ultimum saws the upstart God-Breaker in half and casts its broken form down in ruin, almost decapitating Ibn Faruq below with its mass. Glory is fleeting, however, as unabated firepower from most of the Tiger Eyes' battleline causes the injured Warmaster to crash down from its throne all the same.

1186049-.png
1186050-.png

On the left flank, Solaria's brazen charge cuts deep into the lighter Mortis engines as a column of Ultramarines follows in their wake to wipe out the Death Guard attempting to seize the habitat. Yet with their supplies under threat, it is all nearly futile.

1186051-.png
1186069-.png

Fighting to salvage the situation, Delictor Profectuum ploughs through Krytos' fire and the wrecked corpses of their comrades towards the supply depot with all systems burning. Perhaps they could have made it, if not for the relentless shelling of Quake munitions raining on them, causing the ground under their buckling legs to undulate like tortured jelly with each booming shot. Valiantly, if desperately, later reserve Cerastoi rush to try and relieve the Ultramarines at any price.

1186070-.png

The traitors are similarly pressed, now, with Mortis crumbling before Solaria's advance. Favilla's heavy guns blow out one of Fureans' Warlords nearby and seal the deal as the remaining traitorous knights are slaughtered to the last.

1186052-.png

Triumphantly, Krytos' sole remaining Warlord Braccus Rex sidesteps the futile knight charge and guns down the immobilised Delictor Profectuum, trumpeting its ownership of the loyalists' supply depot.

With fires burning all over the broken and mangled countryside, it is eventually clear to the loyalist side that their tactical situation is untenable. While the traitors are trapped and caught stranded in the bigger picture, unable to hold the planet and will soon all be hunted down, on this day they have by the barest of margins bought enough time for their techno-magi to complete their dark purpose at the Angel's Grave itself. For the Warmaster, they cry in the all-consuming ritual flames!

-------

A very slight Traitor victory after six rounds, 225 to 168 points (with one good turn able to swing 50+ points)! Loyalists killed more and took ground more aggressively, but with their supply lines left basically undefended by the supreme command's strategic blunder, they were unable to capitalise on this advantage, scoring no control points for the whole game after the first round. Not that the traitors had much more luck on that front, with loyalists having more men and machines on most strategic zones after the first third of the game, but that early lead let them coast pretty far. That element certainly brought a good dynamic to the match, with everyone involved until the end and multiple possible game-changing maneuvers hanging at singular dice rolls. If Delictor Profectuum hadn't been slowed down by Quake shell and immobilised ½" too far from the supplies, for example, it could have gone very much the other way. Still loving all of that.

Thanks for reading and happy wargaming!