Chaos by Givemead - Death Guard, Poxwalkers

Givemead

That warpsmith is impressive for one day! Great work painting it with all the hidden details and subassemblies.

That sweet metal daemon prince has always escaped my grasp, really dislike the new(old) plastic one too. Horns look fine (from this angle)

Thanks again Syrakul.  I'm very pleased with the Warpsmith.  There are a few bits that I'd go back to maybe and I will give him a bigger base, but, yeah it feels good to do that in just 24 hours.  I have to agree with you on the plastic daemon prince.  I'd like to see what they could do now if they re-did it.

I have finally finished the Dark Apostle.

RyrpscT.jpg?1

TjRWOOs.jpg?1

flDCU1b.jpg?2

Really pleased to finally get this guy painted after starting him in June.  The inside of the cloak was giving me problems.  Doing Cypher helped quite a bit and I think the cloak, both inside and out has come out quite well.  I'm also still pleased with the conversion, which is seemingly quite simple but involved swapping the right hand to the left.  It also took a bit of time to get the bolt pistol right.

hdXqz8B.jpg?1

Here he is with his Dark Disciples.

knZ0l0t.jpg?1

Here is all the Word Bearers together.  I decided to paint all the base rims black, rather than grey, as I think it looks better.

I am intending to do a bit of a review of the last year, but I think that will wait until tomorrow.

Fine works.

Thanks very much Bjorn.

My god those cataphractii look like shiny eye candy, really nice red and mettalics, very clean and smooth

Thanks Syrakul.  The terminators are possibly my favourite unit I painted in 2020, partly because they were dead easy to paint.

Great job on the face and skin tone of that Apostle there. Very well done.

Thank you K0rtmer.  I really feel like I struggle with human faces so I'm very pleased with how this one turned out.

Time for a bit of a review of 2020.

We all know that 2020 was rubbish in real life, and that's putting it politely.  Hobby-wise though I think for me and many others it was the most productive year ever.  So lets get into it!

Back at the end of 2019 (which seems so long ago now) I came up with a few hobby goals/ challenges for the year ahead:

1.  Paint more models than I buy new ones

2.  Modify, convert or kit-bash every model

3.  Take opportunities to do hobby stuff

For number 1 I ended up painting 61 models an I also completed/re-did the bases for 55.  I picked up several copies of the Mortal Realms magazine early in the year which pushed up the models purchased count and I ended up having bought 91 models.  I count this as a reasonable result.  If I take this forward I'll have to think about what I buy more carefully as I don't have any more daemons that need basing.  Still, all together it looks pretty impressive -

sTxXd66.jpg?1

For number 2 I did do a good number of conversions of chaos cultists including the leader of the traitor guard unit.  I did some minor modifications to several models including the contemptor dread and the venomcrawler.  However, I did leave some models as they are.  Again I think this is a reasonable result.

Number 3 was rather vague and I think I was thinking that I would do more hobby with others.  I ended up doing a load of hobby but obviously world events meant this was solo or virtual.  I feel like I finished the year on a positive note when I took part in the Boxing Day Challenge.  I count this as my strongest result, but not quite how I imagined.  A particular highlight was when my Feculent Gnarlmaw was shown on the Hobby Roundup -

IWMKtPg.png?1

Looking foward

I think I will stick with the 3 hobby goals I had for 2020 as I think they continue to be worthy goals.  In terms of the models I'd like to tackle this year I really want to get stuck in to my Death Guard and the new codex will help I'm sure.  I would also like to get more of the Betrayal at Calth box completed, which includes the Cataphractii armoured captain and the mark IV marines.  I got an additional box of marines, but was disappointed that they don't come with the same transfers.  However, I have since got several sheets so will be able to do them all as Word Bearers.  I've got some plans for some Nurgle cultists and some more generic Chaos cultists.  Other than that I'm sure I'll continue to pull old models out of the many boxes in my hobby room.

For now I'm starting with the metal daemon prince I showed recently.

I'd like to thank everyone who has commented on or liked my hobby output over the last year, it's been great to get feedback.  I'll finish up by saying that I hope 2021 brings you all some great hobby moments!

So about those chaos cultists...

7NAf1tS.jpg?1

Here are the first three of a new unit of cultists.  This idea is taken from a post on Warhammer Community from about April 2020.  They used Sicarian stubcarbines to give the Arco-flagallants the appropriate weaponry, but as I don't have that set and you only get 5 in a box (as far as I can tell) I went with something else.  I'm using cut down guns from the Skitarii set.  The WarComm article suggested adding spikes 'cos spikes = chaos', but I think I'm going to leave them as they are.

Thinking about using a Negavolt cultist for either/both a champion or flamer guy.  The negavolt cultist is slightly beefier and the coils on their back could be swapped for flamer tanks.  I have a Escher flamer that I'm thinking of using, so I'll have a little play around to see if that could work.

The Daemon Prince is coming along, just about there with the armour trim.  I've decided to go with a generally red and gold/brass colour scheme, taking inspiration from artwork in the old 2002(?) codex.

That is some dedication for cultists! Yep doesn't need to be spikes but in their case I would think removing more is a good thing, like their number tags, then maybe replace with painted on brands on their flesh.

Hi Syrakul, thanks.  I've decided to take the number tags off as they are quite distinctive.  I have the base colours going down on the first 5 now and I might get them finished quite soon.

In other news my daemon prince is coming along.  I've got the main edging done and the base colour for the armour.  Going to move onto the various bone details now.

ndMeGq0.jpg?1

Cultists are looking great. I'd maybe replace some feet with some less-than-desirable prosthetics and their dogtags as mentioned previously? I think cutting off identifiable limbs seems to help the "disposable-ness" of cultists a lot.

That is a great idea acrowsperch.  I've got the Skitarii so I have loads of metal feet, but I think something more like Paralympians' running blades would be more fitting.  I'll have to do some research on bits.

I have more or less finished the painting on the first five.

F4GypyD.jpg?1

I'm still working on the kitbash of the Negavolt cultist for a flamer dude.  He's coming along, but I want to move him away from 'oh, that's a negavolt cultist kitbash'.  Currently looking to have some of the vials and injectors from the arco-flaggalants on his head so the drugs are going straight into his brain - well they can't be on his back cos there's a big flamer tank there!

Also thinking about whether a Sicarian Ruststalker would make a good base for a champion for the unit.

Also I wasn't feeling the painting over the weekend so this happened:

qZLeEcn.jpg?1

Just starting to play around with the bits box to chaosify it a bit.  Currently thinking I'll stay straight 'Undivided' on this first one.

Not a huge amount of progress on the Daemon Prince this weekend, but I have done all the bone bits.

uoVik2k.jpg?1

RPhul58.jpg?1

I thought I'd show the back as there is more bone bits there.  I've still got quite a bit to do.  Still haven't decided on what colour/legion to do the space marine helmet.

dam fine looking army so far .... great conversion work too ma, keep it up 

Thank you very much Sagentus.

I've finally got around to doing the basing on the acro-cultists.

dYEqhF6.jpg?1

Might do another layer on the water FX but they are done.

The Daemon Prince is coming along but there is still a bit to do.  I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do the horns on the head and whether to do anything with the axe.  I have just about completed building a base for him though so we are making progress.

------------------------------

I got my copy of the Death Guard codex through and the new terrain.  The big thing that I hadn't seen covered anywhere official was that there are no daemons in the dex.  The only 'daemon' units are daemon engines and possessed.  Guess this means I need to figure out how I'm going to paint all the marines I have.

Oh hey, 'A pinch and a punch for the first (post) of the month'.

I've got a couple of bits for you today.  First up is what I think will be next on the painting list.

xd4dFXX.jpg?1

This thing is big, almost doesn't fit in my photo set up.  So far I have sprayed the bottom bits black and then the top Mechanicus Standard Grey.  I might do a dust of white from above but its too breezy out for that at the moment.  I intend on painting this much like I did the Feculent Gnarlmaw.

Next I've been playing around with bits and the warglaive.

U63NSYy.jpg?1

Evs7Q9D.jpg?1

The first pic is me trying out some leg armour.  These bits are from the Slaves to Darkness Chaos chariot.  I'm really liking them but they could be too much with the shield in the middle as well.

The second pic is the conversion of the heavy stubber which uses a Chaos/Genestealer cults autocannon from the late 80s/ early 90s.  I was lucky enough to pick up a bunch of these sprues a few years ago.  They are fantastic little sprues with a missle launcher and a conversion beamer as well.  They are a bugger to work with as the plastic is quite hard and brittle compared with current GW plastic and there are horrible mould lines, but I still love them.

That's a rare find!

The gorebeast charior armour looks fantastic as leg plates for the armiger. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Thanks very much Urauloth.  I'm thinking the gorebeast will also make a fine spawn/beast of nurgle/other as well.

I haven't been doing a huge amount of hobby this week, or at least not with anything to show for it.  I have however been fiddling about with the axe head of the Daemon Prince.

L5s9xoV.jpg?1

I thought it looked a bit plain so I've added a sort of turquoise glow from the edge of the chaos star.  This is really the first time I've tried this an I think it has worked quite well.

You can also see from the pic that I'm trying a sort of teal colour for the horns.  That needs more work but shows promise.  Altogether I'm liking how it is coming along.  I think I will tackle the eyes including the one on his shoulder pad and chest.

The Daemon Prince is coming along slowly.

bkLh0rC.jpg?1

I've completed the build of the base.  This was overly complicated, but I think it looks good.  Unfortunately I had to glue his left leg back on as it came off in the process of drilling the holes in the base.

I've got the horns in my sights next, but actually there isn't a huge amount left now.  There will be a ton of touch ups to do - Being metal he does hit the table with some force even if it is from just toppling over.  The main question now is do I go for a checker board effect on the base?  I'm tempted, but I don't want to distract from the model.

Nice use of the chariot bits, and that old genestealer plastic was maybe even the cheaper milton bradley space crusade type (like hero-quest plastic). love the daemon prince's custom base; I really wish there was more of those smaller old terrain sets around. nice whittling down the damage there.

Thanks very much Syrakul.  Interestingly that old plastic is almost exactly the same colour as the GSC plastics in the Kill Team starter set, which I think I've also seen space wolves minis in.

I'm going to have to say that the first part of the miasmic malignifier is done.

AmbLpiy.jpg?1

E5VpczH.jpg

I'm finding this is an odd model.  At first glance it seems quite a simple kit, but there is a lot more to it.  I'm finding that I could go on adding to this for some time, but I really need to move on to the main part.

In other news I have the base of the Daemon Prince basecoated.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it looks really cool. How did you achieve that textured look on the green (not sure how to call it...)?

Thanks Ranulf.  There is quite a bit of surface texture on the 'smooth' bits so this is mostly achieved with drybrushing.  I sprayed the bottom half black and then the top grey and finally a little dust of white from directly above.  This gave me a base to work on, with gentle drybrushing using progressively lighter greys, mostly Celestra Grey on the upper parts and finally a bit of white.  Then I did a coat of Plaguebearer Flesh and that is kinda it.  I did a Coelia Greenshade glaze round the bottom and a Lamenters Yellow glaze round the upper parts, but I'm not really sure that did much.

I have been making some progress on Fabius Bile.

Z8yvim5.jpg?1

ZGoUd2y.jpg?1

I wanted to get the purple armour done first, which is mostly under his coat and seems key to getting the paint scheme to work.  This is Leadbelcher, Basilicanum Grey, drybrush with Runefang Steel and then two coats of Volupus Pink.  The gold banding is the same but a single coat of Aggaros Dunes.  This is more pink than the GW version, but I like it.

I'm also quite pleased with how the dead Ultramarine is coming along.  I'm a bit stuck now though as I have a distinct lack of the right type of blues to do highlights with!