What might the new Chaos releases mean for us?

With things like the Lord Discordant, my impression is they're trying to make the Chaos range more distinct than Spiky Loyal Marines. To that end, my thought is that they'll continue to run Chaos Marines using OldMarine marks but push the Loyalist versions further aside.

It will go Full Primaris Head for the Loyalists, doubling down on that sleeker, tactic00l appearance, shedding more of the Gothic/ornate designs with the possible exception of whatever spin-off Chapters (Dark Angels, Black Templar, etc) get.

In that way, OldMarine models will - literally - be heretical.

Jervis implied that later primaris models will have more gothic details on the minis in the first podcast. He brought up the eliminators having prayer beads, in the second podcast I think they're trying to provide a base that works with several chapters. Then they will add more details to the veteran units.

Chaplains getting them isn’t that out there. They already have “litanies”. A litany is a form of repetive listing prayer. Litanies give them abilities so yeah.

Also, I don’t think they are as atheist as people claim. Yeah they don’t worship him like the ministorum, but they do think he is capable of hearing their prayers and defending them. Hence their “the emperor protects.” Also I want to say it doesn’t say “most” chapters don’t worship him, it said something more like, “many see him as the best human” or whoever. But that’s not the same.

A Chaplain's abilities may not necessarily be faith-based and do not have to represent divine intervention. The current abilities for rerolling misses in combat and providing a Ld bubble are explained as the Chaplain exhorting his charges, nothing mystical required!

I think that all the recent Chaos releass have diverged greatly from loyalist Marines and I want GW to double down on this.

The new focus for loyalists should be Primaris - a clean, futuristic look with hover vehicles and high-tech weapons, coming up against the traitors in ancient, baroque armour and warp infused weapons.

I expect Primaris to get more bling on veteran style unit but they should keep the more logical, sci-fi flair throughout.

As for releases, I just want GW to hurry up with Astartes codex 2.0 and additional Primaris releases to plug the gaps in the line. I actually feel that Primaris and loyalists in general are in a really rough spot at the moment and I'm shocked that GW has waited so long to update the line, models and rules.

Regardless of Primaris or Classic (not everything has to be about that argument for the love of the Emperor) I would love GW to actually go back to the gothic and edge if insanity 40K instead of this clean cut version that signifies the flag ship good guys of the company.

More gothic weirdness not less. It's core to the setting. Let's not forget the introduction to 40K:

"For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium, for whom a thousand souls die every day, for whom blood is drunk and flesh eaten. Human blood and human flesh – the stuff of which the Imperium is made. To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruellest and most bloody regime imaginable. This is the tale of those times.

It is a universe you can live today – if you dare – for this is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. If you want to take part in the adventure, then prepare yourself now. Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed…"

People who don't want that or forget it don't really understand 40K.

Yes but we don't need a hard Gothic aesthetics on EVERY single human faction.

Sisters are pretty gothic. Astartes can be cleaner. The Guard can look like world war 1 scifi forces. Chaos can be more baroque.

Grim Dark and a Gothic aesthetic aren't synonymous, that's a mistake people make. I'm not suggesting the setting becomes less violent or dystopian. 40k will always be a terrible future.

I think the range is richer for having more variety. I really think Sisters can do gothic far better and it's more fitting to them. Gothic is most linked to cathedrals and places of worship which doesn't suit general Astartes. For the record I personally prefer the 30k look of Astartes to the 40k version even prior to Primaris. There's nothing Gothic about Mk4 armour, Sicaran tanks and volkyte weapons.

I'm fine with the clean look for Primaris for the basic guys as the basic Tactical Marines, Assault Marines and Devastators are pretty clean looking as well (which many seem to forget). Further Primaris releases should get more of the gothic look though, especially chapter specific units depending on the chapter (maybe not necessarily UM, IF and RW units, but definitely units for like BT and BA).

Regardless of Primaris or Classic (not everything has to be about that argument for the love of the Emperor) I would love GW to actually go back to the gothic and edge if insanity 40K instead of this clean cut version that signifies the flag ship good guys of the company.

More gothic weirdness not less. It's core to the setting. Let's not forget the introduction to 40K:

"For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium, for whom a thousand souls die every day, for whom blood is drunk and flesh eaten. Human blood and human flesh – the stuff of which the Imperium is made. To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruellest and most bloody regime imaginable. This is the tale of those times.

It is a universe you can live today – if you dare – for this is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. If you want to take part in the adventure, then prepare yourself now. Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed…"

People who don't want that or forget it don't really understand 40K.

Agreed. One only has to look at the 4th Edition Codex Space Marines, Codex Black Templars, and BRB to see page after page of baroque armored and cloaked super human warriors armed with anachronistic blades powered by energy fields and advanced rifles covered in scriptures. There is no other setting like it. For the first time Chaos looks like their art, and to 13 year old me its like coming home. I can only hope we get some older mark space marines that match the artwork aesthetics. 

Given that I expect more Adeptus Astartes to make the transition across the Rubicon Primaris in the lore, I fully expect them to want to keep what wargear they can. A pauldron here, a helmet there, a reliquary over here, an image of the face of the Emperor over there... The more gothic, the better, I think. Helps tie the Primaris Space Marines into the Dark Millenium, which I prefer to the Crusade-era look.

Ok, Marshal. Admittedly the Black Templars do have a gothic, religious schtick. It does't apply to most Chapters, and it should be handled via an upgrade sprue and unique kits and units.

I certainly don't want to see anything as silly as the OTT Sternguard or some of the HQs that look like walking churches again in my Astartes army, but that's not to say the option shouldn't exit for specific chapters.

Ideally the option should be there to do both, for whoever prefers each look. 

For example, there is a wide range of bits in the classic marine line so you can make clean marines or more gothic ones, or anywhere in between really.

AoS isn't generic at all, its different. It's super high fantasy, a change from the more plausible lower fantasy of the past editions.

It's just different and a lot more fantastical, pulling in elements and inspiration from places but never mundane.

There's nothing generic about a rotting, un-dead horde under the mass delusion that they are glorious lords and ladies of high society and behave as such, for example lol

Most of the factions are new, and it will take time to build them up. Same thing happened with 40k, it wasn't what it is now from the get go.

Patience, people! Patience. Same patience should be applied to Primaris.

Archived