BSB Speculation

ERJAK

Holy moley! Sisters players have been waiting over a decade for a miniature update. You are now getting that update and you are complaining? I'm completely baffled by this. These models look great and you're getting a few codex after the space marine drop which most likely means you'll have all sorts of goodies to choose from. Cheer up a little lol! There are other factions that would love the treatment that the Sisters are getting right now.

Also, I have a rather large nest-egg that I've been saving up for this release. I'm super excited!

Eh, still haven't seen anything that will get me to have to update any of my metal Sisters. They seem to be mixing the chaplain theme in with the medic theme. Too much book, not enough bone saw for my taste.

Aothaine, if other factions would love to get the treatment Sisters are getting they haven't read the Beta Codex then. Nothing in this release is going to have any sales longevity if the rules don't live up to seeing the tabletop. With SM 2.0 dropping with gifts all over I for one have no confidence of Sisters making a dent.

Holy moley! Sisters players have been waiting over a decade for a miniature update. You are now getting that update and you are complaining? I'm completely baffled by this. These models look great and you're getting a few codex after the space marine drop which most likely means you'll have all sorts of goodies to choose from. Cheer up a little lol! There are other factions that would love the treatment that the Sisters are getting right now.

Also, I have a rather large nest-egg that I've been saving up for this release. I'm super excited!

I have to disagree with that last part, just because we are getting a new codex soon does not mean it will be remotely viable other than in casual and possibly light competitive play. Yes I still have hope that they will make us fun, viable, and solidly competitive when we release without being game breaking, but I am also prepared for a trash set of rules. We have had a murky history at best until the beginning of 8th, and what we DID have was quickly taken away because for once since 1997 we were actually "good".

I know she likely won't get a FNP bubble. Can still dream. But she's going to need more than a 50/50 chance of doing anything before I consider her putting in any list outside of fluff reasons.

As for the rules in general. Yes, I'm prepared for rubbish too. GSC came out right before the beta and look what happened there. Marines 2.0 has set a high standard but I won't be surprised if we get something very blah.

Expect the worst. Hope for the best.

In the meantime, this is the first model I've liked since the battle sisters were first shown. Just a few minor adjustments for personal preference.

HISTORY OF SOB RULES FOR NEW ARRIVALS!

First bits are murky so apologize for innaccuracies but I'm pretty sure this is pretty close.

2nd edition: Codex came out like 2 months before 3rd made it incompatible (Status: irrelevant)

3rd edition: Holdover leaflet if I'm remembering correctly (Status:also irrelevant)

3.5-4th: Not sure on the exact timetable here but Witch hunters codex is released(Status: Fluffy as heck, only decent on the tabletop)

Corrected by A.T.

Original 3e codex in the rulebook. BS3 sisters, no faith(So not great)

Chapter approved. Early exorcist, proto-faith(yay piece-meal updates)

Citadel Journal 49. Named characters(yay more piece-meal updates)

Codex Witch Hunters

Couple of months after release, 4th edition. Second time Sisters come out right before a new edition.

5th edition: Jammed into a WD where our introductory battle report saw us slaughtered mercilessly by necrons.(Status: Beer and Pretzel only)

6th edition: Lazy digital only codex, still not the worst book in the game (Status: Mediocre)

7th edition (early): An already subpar book in the biggest powercreep edition ever? Status: HAHA, no.

7th edition (late): Imperial Agents. To this day the worst book (relative to what was out at the time) that GW has ever written. I burned it in my back yard when the index came out. Status: Dogpoo

8th edition: Index: Awesome...just...so awesome. Status: Literally the best sisters have ever been.

8th edition: Beta codex: Begrudgingly not terrible, still weaker than the index while also being less fun to play. Codex creep does however put our status at: Power Crept.

So if people seem a bit apprehensive about rules, it's just pattern recognition at this point

Edited by ERJAK

I'll be excited when GW show that they can write a good sisters book not by complete accident (RIP index). The models are w/e they look like sisters so I'm pretty much automatically happy with all of them. The rules are much iffier and there's no guarantee that just because the previous books are good that the next one will be (RIP Necrons).

Other factions have gotten the treatment Sisters are getting right now multiple times. Sisters are getting this once.

Edited by ERJAK

Yeah I am excited for the new Sisters but I'm getting a little annoyed at "2 more weeks and you'll get to see ONE new model!!!!"  The BSB is getting old....just release the range and the book please.  The ol salt in me is starting to get that stringing-along feeling, that the bait and switch becomes more likely with each BSB.

The Hospitaller is good, although I think I'll leave off the book.

I have noticed that they mention the models shown during these previews are "in progress'. Certainly the fine facial deatils on my Sister Superior Amalia are much finer than what we've seen on most of the preview images in the BSB, and I find that encouraging.

Just because the Codex is coming after the SM one doesn't automatically make it "good". As was mentioned earlier, compare GSC and the Space Wolves codexes, which were released sequentially.

As for disliking the model, or multiple models from the new range, it is absolutely my right and anyone else's to dislike a model. In this case, I just think the model is too busy for a tabletop model. Then again, I prefer a simpler, more militaristic look over the super Gothic, over-the-top looks we get at times from GW. It's why all three of my Exorcists have MRLS turrets instead of pipe organs.

3rd edition: Holdover leaflet if I'm remembering correctly (Status:also irrelevant)

3.5-4th: Not sure on the exact timetable here but Witch hunters codex is released(Status: Fluffy as heck, only decent on the tabletop)

1997 - Sisters 2nd edition

1998 - Original 3e codex in the rulebook. BS3 sisters, no faith.

2002 - Chapter approved. Early exorcist, proto-faith

2002 - Citadel Journal 49. Named characters.

2004 - Codex Witch Hunters.

2004 - 4th edition

Holy moley! Sisters players have been waiting over a decade for a miniature update. You are now getting that update and you are complaining? I'm completely baffled by this. These models look great and you're getting a few codex after the space marine drop which most likely means you'll have all sorts of goodies to choose from. Cheer up a little lol!

Top concerns right now are probably -

1) After two decades of waiting for cheap plastic models, the sisters could end up as the most expensive plastic model line ever between GWs recent plastic price hikes and the forgeworld-style monopose characters on scenic bases.

2) We haven't actually seen anything new. It's a fairly large line to replace before adding new options, and that's just the cut-down range of the beta codex. All we do know is that the budget didn't stretch to new mk3 rhinos

3) The beta rules gave hope to no-one, and nu-marines/deathwatch are far enough ahead of sisters to put them in an awkward spot cost/power wise if faith doesn't pan out.

4) If the release flops it might be another 20 years before anything happens.

The last one is the kicker. No more getting strung along, it's do or die time for the sisters.

Yeah -- were.seeing models that barely match the metals.in quality.in some cases, and have waited 28 weeks so far in the battle sister bulletin. Like, seriously, that canoness is lame, and i will keep my metal canonesses who can actually see over their shoulders.

I won't speak for anyone else, but the way the BSB has drug out and been handled by GW has sapped a lot of my excitement. At this point, I imagine the only way I could get excited about the BSB posts would be:

* plastic Repressor

* something brand new to the army, which we probably won't get shown until they're ready for the codex to be pre-ordered

* rules previews, which we probably won't get shown until they're ready for the codex to be pre-ordered

I'm sure the Celestians will look good if/when we see them, but beyond that we've seen most of the army now. The Dominions likely won't stray too much from the baseline squads. The BSF Crusader gives us a good idea of what Crusaders will look like assuming they're part of the initial release, and I'm not sure most of the Ecchlesiarchy units outside of the Penitent Engine and priests are going to be part of the initial wave.

Edited by taikishi

Agreed. It seemed like in the original iteration they were looking for feedback from the betadex and BSB. I might be more interested if that were true. So far its just been look at this new version of an old model that I don't intend to purchase.

I kept the light going with metal model Sister purchases for 22 years. I won't be purchasing the plastics. They lost me at the scale change.

Give me something I can chew on even if its just fluff for new unit types or how they envision all the units in the new dex working.

2004 - 4th edition

Thank you, I was always a bit unclear about the timeline of 3rd and 4th as far as sisters rules.

I will prolly buy the hospitalier, and any new squads provided they look good, but I doubt we will get anything truly new. Our release is big enuff as is.

I might get 1 or 2 boxes of infantry if they have anything new in them, or if heavy weapons/special weapons get any kind of buff. Otherwise, what I have now is fine, and will take me long enuff to finish painting as is.

2004 - 4th edition

Thank you, I was always a bit unclear about the timeline of 3rd and 4th as far as sisters rules.

There were faith rules in WD early on in 3ed as well. Don't remember which, makes sense, I often forgot to use them even then. Bit cumbersome if I remember, each unit had to roll for its own faith effect. Was a book keeping nightmare and they weren't that good anyways.

Honestly? As much as this release should be for long time Sisters supporters, it currently isn't. Unless something new comes our way, this release is for people like the employee at FLGS last night who said he hated the metal Sisters (and metal models in general) and can't wait to buy the new stuff so he can finally play Sisters.

There were faith rules in WD early on in 3ed as well. Don't remember which, makes sense, I often forgot to use them even then. Bit cumbersome if I remember, each unit had to roll for its own faith effect. Was a book keeping nightmare and they weren't that good anyways.

White Dwarf 232, April 1999

Sacred Rites, much like 2nd ed.

Roll once for each squad, benefits lost of the character leaves the squad.

Canoness +3, Celestian Superior +2, Veteran Sister Superior +1

Roll / Result

1 - Nothing

2 - Cannot be outnumbered

3 - Cannot be pinned

4 - No negative modifiers on leadership rolls

5 - May re-roll moral

6 - May ignore restrictions on regrouping

7 - Fearless

8 - Always hit on 3+ in close combat

9 - Gain +1 attack in close combat

This release is garbage. The model designs look like they were strung together by a self-taught artist with no concept of flow or composition - as if someone just photoshopped a bunch of random vaguely relevant details onto a stock body model and then someone with a modicum of talent came along afterwards and composited the pieces into a singular thing.

The rules nearly made my eyes bleed when I read them, and they proceeded to crush my soul when I played them.

There is not a single model preview that wont require modifications just to look like it belongs in the same army let alone what I specifically want it to look like- I mean seriously, A Canoness that looks like a female priest that belongs in AoS? A Hospitaler that looks like a Canoness? Serena Williams and her bald clones running around with eviscerators? Did a toddler get assigned to the concept art for this line or something? Was it one of those neural networks that tries to imitate human aesthetics?

Anyways, GW has officially lost my business with this BS. You can't instigate the launch of an army you have ignored for over a decade with a heartfelt assurance you are sorry for the negligence, and then proceed to pump out this viscous awful while expecting me to pay for it.

Silver Lining: Finally have the motivation to splurge on a good 3-d printer. GW prices and now this new monopose philosophy compounded with the outright lie of intention with the SoB release, bleh, the company can burn at this point. Fans updating rules years after the company that wrote them went under and using deviant-art commissions for new models would produce better results than this.

"There is not a single model preview that wont require modifications just to look... ...specifically want it to look like"

Doesn't that go for most models in every army? 
I can't comment on the scale for the most part but it's hardly going to destroy your army if you mix old and new minis. The BSS previews have looked very authentic for the most part, and the hospitaler is wearing practically the same outfit as her old model, just now she's holding a big book.

I'd like a more utilitarian looking Canoness model though.

But good luck with your rage fueled printing endeavours.

I sold off my sisters years ago because I was particularly bored of being ignored for whatever FOTM SM codex might come out. Last year when they previewed the little sisters trailer, I was ecstatic. 28 weeks after "Spoilers" start coming out, I'm off the hype train, band wagon, whatever you want to call it. I played sisters for years and I can't begin to even think about picking them up again after this BSB series. Unless the rules are absolutely phenomenal, which 99% chance they won't be, there's zero reason to reinvest

So... release speculation.

Are you expecting a big box as the initial release?  Something like Shadowspear, where we get a collection of some of the new units, but when the standard boxes release we'll see that not all options were available in the big box.  That release stratagey seems to encourage people scooping up the initial release and also gets them excited about picking up the new standard boxes.

Who do you think will be the other side of that big box?  With Dark Angels Primaris scheduled to feature in the next white dwarf, do you think this could be the rumored Lion themed big box?  Could we see a Bike & TDA themed Primaris matched up with Sisters.  I'm pretty sure GW would sell out the entire run in a couple of hours no matter what the price.

So... release speculation.

Are you expecting a big box as the initial release? Something like Shadowspear, where we get a collection of some of the new units, but when the standard boxes release we'll see that not all options were available in the big box. That release stratagey seems to encourage people scooping up the initial release and also gets them excited about picking up the new standard boxes.

Who do you think will be the other side of that big box? With Dark Angels Primaris scheduled to feature in the next white dwarf, do you think this could be the rumored Lion themed big box? Could we see a Bike & TDA themed Primaris matched up with Sisters. I'm pretty sure GW would sell out the entire run in a couple of hours no matter what the price.

Sisters vs chaos, probably standard chaos Marines with a word bears character?