BSB Speculation

ERJAK

We have plenty of examples from our previous codexes.

We didn't have 'other weapons comparable to the eviscerator' we just had horrendous options. Putting ANY melee weapon on a canoness was a joke in 6th and 7th and seemed pretty subpar in 5th as well. You were literally throwing away points trying to make a melee canoness do anything, even with the eternal warrior relic that stopped you from getting insta popped.

There's always one option with imperial weapons that's way better then everything else. Why do you think Thunderhammers are 40pts now?

(Sidebar: Making the thunderhammer that expensive didn't make more variety of options, it just made things that would have taken thunder hammers before worse as they all either got dropped from lists or switched to power fists/the burning blade)

You do know we didn't have a codex in 5th, 6th, or 7th edition.  The only editions we had a codex released was in 2nd and 3rd.  Both of those codexes had several really good wargear options that were not Eviscerators.

Your sidebar actually proves my point.  Even accepting the ridiculous premise that across all of the space marines codexes there is only a single viable HQ build, you just gave 3 alternatives for weapons to arm a smash captain with.

Why do you want our codex to be regulated to a single build with a single weapon choice?  Wouldn't you like the option to switch weapons like the smash captains can?  Wouldn't you like to have other viable build options in your arsenal?

Yeah, that would be great, I'm just not that optimistic. The general trend has been towards fewer options for characters (GSC have, I believe, a single wargear option between all of their characters, for instance). The new canoness model that they handed out at NOVA has no alternative builds either, though it is possible they will release multiple canoness models (or that this is a simplified one and they will release a kit with more options later).

I don't expect that the Canoness released at NOVA will change between now and her official release.  But I also don't think we have seen the full range yet.  I also don't think that we have seen the full contents of the November release.  I don't think it is a coincidence that so far we have only see units that replace classic units, and not even all of the classic units yet.

You are correct about how characters tend to go, ever since the CHS lawsuit.  But is GSC the best example we have for a faction that GW would like pattern the sisters release after?  I think our range will more closely resemble Deathwatch or Greyknights than it will GSC as far as number of units in codex, and kits and characters on the shelf.

Sorry, the fact that you didn't know we got codexes in 5th and 6th and and technically 7th and said so with such confidence was so mind blowingly...under informed... I honestly couldn't tolerate reading through the rest.

Just so you know we got a codex in 5th, a codex in 6th, and imperial agents in 7th. So that's 3 editions you missed. Ten seconds on Google would have told you that.

You do know we didn't have a codex in 5th, 6th, or 7th edition.

I take it you don't count the White Dwarf codex or the digital only codex as ... well, codices.

Also imperial agents. Think he was in a coma for what...10 years?

One Blade of Admonition and a handful of Eviscerators are fine with me. A relic inferno pistol with 12" range would be fun.

Now if they wanted to give us a unit with shields and power mauls that also counted as hand flamer pistols (holy promethium sprinkler anyone?) I would be fine with that too.

I'm not very optimistic that there is all that much waiting in the wings just yet. The entire thing seems rushed to me like the 2019 deadline made them tighten up the line just to make the deadline.

I'm hoping for a return on of the Brazier of Holy Fire.  I love the image of my Superiors and Priests beating people with a lit torch.

I take it you don't count the White Dwarf codex or the digital only codex as ... well, codices.

Sorry, the fact that you didn't know we got codexes in 5th and 6th and and technically 7th and said so with such confidence was so mind blowingly...under informed... I honestly couldn't tolerate reading through the rest.

Just so you know we got a codex in 5th, a codex in 6th, and imperial agents in 7th. So that's 3 editions you missed. Ten seconds on Google would have told you that.

Also imperial agents. Think he was in a coma for what...10 years?

I'll address these together.  I have a fairly low bar when it comes to what counts as a codex release.  A physical book and new models, they also almost always got new units.  That might not sound like it is a low bar, but consider that all other armies got 1 or more copies of a book codex with new units and new models during 5th, 6th and 7th editions, and several armies that didn't exist in 5th edition have gotten that treatment as well.  The last edition where sisters got 1 or more of those 3 things was 3rd edition, codex Witch Hunters.

The first of those after thought publications removed half of the options from the Witch Hunters codex, and nerfed all of the others.  And each reprint after that was just that, a reprint with another disappointing version of faith or whatever they decided to call it in that printing.  I am actually surprised that you didn't mention either the Chapter Approved 2001 (The zealot version) or the Index.  The index showed the first actual effort on GW's part at updating Sisters since 3rd edition.  They kinda had to consider how much they were changing up the appearance of the stat line.

I purchased each and every release they gave for sisters every edition hoping that they might actually acknowledge that were still here waiting to give them a truck load of money.  Each time was more disappointing than the time before.

Those "codexes", as you call them, was the minimal effort GW had to perform in order to keep hold of the copyright.  But if that was all Marines or Chaos got over the course of 5 editions, no one would call any of those publications a codex.

This bsb: army box

Next: mistress

Next next: pengine

Next next next: rhino

Next next next next: crusader

Next next next next next: priest

One before release: a single AoF- the best one. Big push for army box.

I'll address these together.  I have a fairly low bar when it comes to what counts as a codex release.  A physical book and new models, they also almost always got new units.  That might not sound like it is a low bar, but consider that all other armies got 1 or more copies of a book codex with new units and new models during 5th, 6th and 7th editions, and several armies that didn't exist in 5th edition have gotten that treatment as well.  The last edition where sisters got 1 or more of those 3 things was 3rd edition, codex Witch Hunters.

It's your story; tell how ever you like it.

Ok, but tell me something, if sisters have gotten a codex every edition since 5th, why is this speculation topic on page 14, when we still have 9 to 13 weeks to go before the release?

The space marine forums topics on their upcoming codexes generally don't get above 6 pages.

Why is there so much more engagement about this topic than those other codexes, especially considering that those forums have a significantly higher membership than we do?

"In the distance, a Living Saint rises like a phoenix, a manifestation of the Emperor’s divine power who is equally terrifying and magnificent to behold."

They don't say it is St. Celestine, though the link in the text obviously leads to a book with her. Nevertheless, could this point to a Living Saint being an option? Speculation!

The article also states that the next BSB will look at finished vehicles. Cool!

LOVED seeing the shield at St. Katherine's triumph.

Katherine's Shield is the item around which my entire campaign world was created. At some point during the campaign, it is discovered beneath the Chapel of St. Katherine's Aegis, which is why the Imperium decides to redesignate the planet as a Shrine World, which leads to the rapid expansion of Sisters and Ecclesiarchal units.

I am really hoping for a shield in the range. 

Also wondering if the cone headed sister in the background might be a Famulous? I really want one now that there are Rogue Traders and Navigators and Imperial Advisors. Never been a use for the model like there is now.

And yeah, I'm looking really forward to vehicles- glad they told us what was coming, because artwork, while cool (for me in particular) is still just artwork, and literally anything else they could have given us would have had more actual impact on the playing of the game. 

Edited by ThePenitentOne

Ok, but tell me something, if sisters have gotten a codex every edition since 5th, why is this speculation topic on page 14, when we still have 9 to 13 weeks to go before the release?

The space marine forums topics on their upcoming codexes generally don't get above 6 pages.

Because space marine releases occur at least once a week and are announced about 5 minutes in advance.

Why is there so much more engagement about this topic than those other codexes, especially considering that those forums have a significantly higher membership than we do?

I'm sure a thread on an upcoming Space Marine Codex would far surpass 14 pages if it was being drip fed regular content updates across a three month period and had the promise of a fully-updated classic Marine model range to accompany it. If you want a reminder of what the Space Marine community can do when properly engaged, the Templars have a speculation thread on their likely upcoming Supplemental Codex which has reached 31 pages in less than a month. For another example, it took this thread more than three weeks to reach its third page, while a rumors thread speculating the Salamanders would receive the next Supplemental Codex achieved that in three days.

If there's higher engagement here it's only because we're receiving continuous releases over time rather than getting everything in a matter of a few weeks.

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

I'll address these together. I have a fairly low bar when it comes to what counts as a codex release. A physical book and new models, they also almost always got new units. That might not sound like it is a low bar, but consider that all other armies got 1 or more copies of a book codex with new units and new models during 5th, 6th and 7th editions, and several armies that didn't exist in 5th edition have gotten that treatment as well. The last edition where sisters got 1 or more of those 3 things was 3rd edition, codex Witch Hunters.

A codex is any set of rules that comes out with the word "codex" on the product page. Although your arbitrary redefinition of what a codex is creates some interesting questions.

So did grey knights not get a new codex this edition? Do admech still not have a codex?(new model didn't come out with it) Tau? Dark Eldar? Daemons?(only slaanesh got new stuff and only MUCH later). Regular Eldar I don't think got any new models. Nids didn't get anything new. Same with Harlequins. Necrons only got 1 new model and it wasn't a new unit. Can't really count non-codex marines either since they didn't get new models, they just inhereted old C:SM models.

So did only like 6-7 factions get codexes this edition? Because a definition that only covers that narrow of a scope seems super dumb then.

Edited by ERJAK

LOVED seeing the shield at St. Katherine's triumph.

Katherine's Shield is the item around which my entire campaign world was created. At some point during the campaign, it is discovered beneath the Chapel of St. Katherine's Aegis, which is why the Imperium decides to redesignate the planet as a Shrine World, which leads to the rapid expansion of Sisters and Ecclesiarchal units.

I am really hoping for a shield in the range.

Also wondering if the cone headed sister in the background might be a Famulous? I really want one now that there are Rogue Traders and Navigators and Imperial Advisors. Never been a use for the model like there is now.

And yeah, I'm looking really forward to vehicles- glad they told us what was coming, because artwork, while cool (for me in particular) is still just artwork, and literally anything else they could have given us would have had more actual impact on the playing of the game.

Actually, with GW's recent'no model, no rules, no art' policy, they spoiled arco-flagellents still being in and likely 'spoiled' whatever models shield lady and conehead end up being.

Presumably next will be the full render of the Deimos pattern chassis they teased earlier. Or just the Penitent Engine again.

Getting just art would be disappointing but we haven't actually had any new art outside of gathering storm and the 6th ed codex cover so I'm mostly just wishing there was more.

Actually, with GW's recent'no model, no rules, no art' policy, they spoiled arco-flagellents still being in and likely 'spoiled' whatever models shield lady and conehead end up being.

There's no 'no models no art' policy, its just that farmed out international art commissions involve too much reference reliant work done for pay over creativity.

The Dark Imperium art from the start of 8th has giant Nurgle slug beasts with no models and there's pilgrims in today's stuff that I don't see getting models. Is that mobile war shrine pushed by a ton of pilgrims going to be a model? Maybe but I doubt it. Those winged servo skulls could turn up on a kit but might not. We know we're getting Cherubs but are we getting all of those cherubs?

I can't imagine why people hat won it, but are cool with powerfists and thunder hammers for space Marines when it's identical to a powerfist...

I'd rather have a clearly superior choice than lose the only high strength, multidamage close combat weapon a canoness can take (outside of a relic). If we lose the eviscerator on the canoness, she'll become nothing but a buff model and maybe a chaff killer instead of the potential character, heavy infantry, monster blender she can be now.

I think you are both missing the point.

Yes we should have something like the eviscerator... but why can't we have more than one thing?

We are hopefully getting a codex that has a couple of useful units in ever slot.  Preferably with enough choices that when 2 sister players show up to Nova or Adeptacon, they both don't have the exact same list.  And another simple way to accomplish that is to include rules for other weapons that are comparable to the evicerator.  We have plenty of examples from our previous codexes.

It doesn't matter how many viable builds a codex has, there will be two guys (out of 100+ remember) at Nova and Adepticon with the same list. Even at 40 player events you find commonly two players with very similar builds.

(Sidebar: Making the thunderhammer that expensive didn't make more variety of options, it just made things that would have taken thunder hammers before worse as they all either got dropped from lists or switched to power fists/the burning blade)

Wait and see but I bet thunder hammers will still be taken on captains even at 40 points, you won't see three of them in every list anymore but power fists/the burning blade are a joke while flat 3 damage is still king.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Unless it's a master-crafted power fist.  That's decent.

Back to Sisters: I am hoping the "fleet" of vehicles being shown off is more than just rhino + immo + exo; I think 3 is enough to qualify for a fleet, but I still harbor a faint spark of hope for some kind of proper melta/lance tank.  We shall see!

Some nice art shown in the BSB. Shield looks nice.

Art of the repentia still looks horrible and not in the good way. Pengine art also looks a bit weird too for some reason. Doesn't look as powerful or imposing as other art.

Honestly? As much as this release should be for long time Sisters supporters, it currently isn't. Unless something new comes our way, this release is for people like the employee at FLGS last night who said he hated the metal Sisters (and metal models in general) and can't wait to buy the new stuff so he can finally play Sisters.

Sisters was my first army. I bought them on the day they were released was back at the end of 2nd edition. I collected the whole range and played them all through 3rd and 4th before finally leaving the game. This release is bringing be back to 40K. I'm super excited about every single model that has been shown so far. As a long time Sisters supporter this release is absolutely for me.

I am absolutely hyped for all of these releases, despite playing Sisters for years. All the codexes and updates that I've experienced have been really lack-luster, and so just being in the spotlight for once is really nice.

GW was really damned either way, as seen by the reactions to the models so far... The stuff they've changed has been decried as "retcons" and the stuff they haven't is "why would I buy this"

The art looks phenomenal IMO, and is a welcome return to the style of 40k that I feel has been missing from some recent, more "tacicool" releases.

If the limited ed codex has that picture on the front with no text, it's going to be by far the best looking book they've ever done.

If the limited ed codex has that picture on the front with no text, it's going to be by far the best looking book they've ever done.

I agree. I'm super hyped and have been waiting years for this release. Might be the first army I'll have fully painted since my Necrons back in the early 2000s. Lol! Man it has been a long time.

I also don't mind all the people be-moaning some of the models. I love them all and the most important part is that they are plastic. I don't care if I cannot kitbash the models. I want the models to look beautiful, be light, and easy to build. We'll have kits later that give customization. I'm not worried about that for the initial release.

Also, in regards to the releases of stuff. I think we can use the example of the Death Guard to understand that we will not have access to everything from their launch. They will slow release the new models. While some of us have been saving since the first announcement, others were not and it will be better for GW to release the models slowly.

Still. Super excited for this next BSB! Come on Repressors!!!!

Presumably next will be the full render of the Deimos pattern chassis they teased earlier. Or just the Penitent Engine again.

Getting just art would be disappointing but we haven't actually had any new art outside of gathering storm and the 6th ed codex cover so I'm mostly just wishing there was more.

There's no 'no models no art' policy, its just that farmed out international art commissions involve too much reference reliant work done for pay over creativity.

The Dark Imperium art from the start of 8th has giant Nurgle slug beasts with no models and there's pilgrims in today's stuff that I don't see getting models. Is that mobile war shrine pushed by a ton of pilgrims going to be a model? Maybe but I doubt it. Those winged servo skulls could turn up on a kit but might not. We know we're getting Cherubs but are we getting all of those cherubs?

I can't imagine why people hat won it, but are cool with powerfists and thunder hammers for space Marines when it's identical to a powerfist...

I'd rather have a clearly superior choice than lose the only high strength, multidamage close combat weapon a canoness can take (outside of a relic). If we lose the eviscerator on the canoness, she'll become nothing but a buff model and maybe a chaff killer instead of the potential character, heavy infantry, monster blender she can be now.

I think you are both missing the point.

Yes we should have something like the eviscerator... but why can't we have more than one thing?

We are hopefully getting a codex that has a couple of useful units in ever slot. Preferably with enough choices that when 2 sister players show up to Nova or Adeptacon, they both don't have the exact same list. And another simple way to accomplish that is to include rules for other weapons that are comparable to the evicerator. We have plenty of examples from our previous codexes.

It doesn't matter how many viable builds a codex has, there will be two guys (out of 100+ remember) at Nova and Adepticon with the same list. Even at 40 player events you find commonly two players with very similar builds.

Wait and see but I bet thunder hammers will still be taken on captains even at 40 points, you won't see three of them in every list anymore but power fists/the burning blade are a joke while flat 3 damage is still king.

Considering that the burning blade has very similar output for 1/10th the cost (and isn't really competing with much for relic slots anymore) even single smash captains are likely to go that route.

Not to say you won't see Thammers in lists anymore, just that that model will be bad for the price now. Running 3 with Thammers would be a sad joke. 117pts before Stormshield and jumpack/terminator armor? Big oof. That's shield captain territory.

My larger point stands, though. The Thammer went up massively in price and it didn't kill the thunderhammer, it killed 2/3rds of smashcaptains.

• 2 weeks later...