ETL VII working thread

Leonaides

So here begins the next ETL WIP thread. Its been a while so forgive me the various errors in posting but its a bit easier for me to just dump progress here.

In the beginning there was the Vow.

"I Leonaides rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels forum and vow to complete 4 primaris lieutenants (3 power sword/1 stock) and 2 captains with jump packs (1 th/combi melta and 1 relic axe) of total value 527pts on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end."

And then there was the photo:

gallery_19254_15444_157136.jpg

And then there was the 'Oh #Drat# - put some black paint on one of the Lt's already...'

Here we go again.

So progress over last night and tonight - they are starting to look a lot more like Marines. I've gone for a full batch of 2nd Company lieutenants (those poor marines wont get any rest with this lot kicking around looking for trouble!) and Smash-captain will be a new 2nd company Captain. Lord Executioner now has a 32mm base after snagging an expander ring from a friend (not shown in this picture though, so hopefully he wont look quite so stupidly small when finished!

Still to do, helmetless heads, the detailing on the Lord Executioner and bases then they should be looking good from 3ft away. Some neon green eye lenses should also help (and work with the rest of my primaris) and I need to dig out my other blues for the exposed power swords which are currently Necron abyss blue base coated. Tabards and scrolls etc need to be ushbati bone then break out the agrax/fleshwash probably. But do i go with grey or brown bases?

gallery_19254_15444_38295.jpg

Good job!

As for the bases, I won't help you with browns, but I can show how those fellas might look on grey:
med_gallery_105306_14251_50499.jpg
(Astrogranite texture paint, followed by 2 washes of Nuln oil (1st- whole base, 2nd - selectively), followed by very light drybrush of something akin to Ulthuan Grey).

So tonight was scrollwork, power weapons and bone. Ushbati bone for scrolls and bone, then i tried reikland fleshwash over both. I used to use good old citadel fleshwash over them both then drybrush up the bone with whatever bone base layer i used and a final highlight drybrush of bleached bone/white but the new fleshwash just looks too pinky to me. I'll give it another coat tomorrow but might just have to fish out the hexagonal workhorse.

Power weapons were necron abyss with an icey blue drybrush, then white final edges. Works ok on the thunderhammer business end but i want to try a blue wash on the swords to even it out again a little i think.

Pics tomorrow when i get a chance.

as promised - update with power weapons... I think i'll go with a brown base instead of grey (might keep that for a dedicated kill team i need to build though) but getting there.

Still need to run a wash over them, and do the detailing and base but definately getting there. I hope to have a productive day tomorrow as i'm off from work and child-free!

gallery_19254_15444_64988.jpg

And now for Vow 2:

I Leonaides rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels forum and vow to complete 1 Phobos Primaris Captain, 1 Phobos Lieutenant, 1 Terminator Librarian, 1 Primaris Librarian, 1 Chaplain with jump pack and 1 Chaplain Lemartes) of total value 628pts on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

gallery_19254_15444_9095.jpg

Edited by Leonaides

Already also thinking of a 3rd vow - probably will use that for my contemptor, another couple of chaplains, the phobos Librarian and possibly another smash-captain (storm shield this time though) so those guys will need to be dug out/built and undercoated ready to crack on with when i'm nearly done with Vow 2.

So tonights progress has been on the primaris librarian as i'm wanting a break from red and the chaplains arent undercoated yet.

Macragge blue base with old blue wash to shade and deepen the colour, dark red cloak shaded with carroburg crimson wash (and i might go deeper, think i was wanting a really dark almost black red ideally), gold detailing picked out and bone done with ushbati then an agrax wash.

Just about ready to assemble the basic model now then i can work out positioning on his base and get that painted before putting him on it. Will try and get a picture tomorrow.

Technically all game legal now, lemartes and the jump pack chaplain are both almost done. Terminator librarian is blocked out in base colours to about the level of the 2 photos characters, ready for inks/shading. Should be done this week.

gallery_19254_15444_124421.jpeg

Edited by Leonaides

• 2 weeks later...

So, progress has been slow - children have not been helpful (!) but getting there - Phobos Captain and Lt are based and LT needs shading but they are pretty much at the detail stage now, some of which is already done. Lemartes is almost there to join the other Chaplain so the last hold-up is the Terminator Librarian. He is progressing though - combi-weapon is basically painted, armour blocked out and i want to do his tabard the same as i did the primaris librarian, a nice deep shaded red which wont take too long.

gallery_19254_15444_142414.jpg

So - putting paintbrush where mouth is time. Completion of Vow 2 below, and later i will get a pre-start photo of vow 3 up.

Points to note - no idea at all how those chest cables for the Primaris Librarian were/are supposed to attach - i couldnt manage it with the arms already on so i guess they should have gone on earlier. Oh well, i dont think he looses much visually from not having them there TBH. Also - the old 'Blue Wash' on the terminator has come out 'very' shiny - i need to remember that for future librarians.

gallery_19254_15444_95050.jpeg

I Leonaides rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Blood Angels forum and vow to complete 1 Primaris Captain with power sword, 1 Primaris Chaplain, 1 Chaplain wiht jump pack and inferno pistol and 1 Death Company dreadnought with Blood Talons, heavy Flamer, Meltagun and Magna Grapple (i hope - need to check the model) of total value 408pts on or before September 1st, 2019. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

To quote - 'Lets kick this pig!'

starting pic (missing primaris chaplain, cpatain is on the blue sprue):

gallery_19254_15444_2512.jpeg

Edited by Leonaides

and update already - Flesh Tearer Chaplain is pretty much there already for basic painting - need to go over reds with highlights etc and do my bone recipe on his skull/ shade the purity seals etc but he's already virtually there. Dreadnought isnt too far behind - need to hit his claws with ice blue for the crackle effect and highlight him but not too shabby. Oh - and no magna grapple - I htikn it may have gone for a swandive out the window and is now somewhere in a flower bed, chilling with a hurricane bolter sponson!

Captain needs to be built, and i need to find my Primaris chaplain.

gallery_19254_15444_178798.jpeg

Good news, I have located (in no particular order): encarmine blade for primaris captain so he isn't stuck with a boring toothpick, unpainted magna grapple for dcd and...... a primaris chaplain who was hanging out with some paints and some plague marines.

Obviously trying to purge the heretics. Build nite tonight, maybe a bit of undercoating too.

Progress has occurred - chaplain has been assembled, ready for base coat painting tomorrow eve, and captain currently looks like this.

I'm planning on keeping his cloak off as i like the cleaner look better i think and the pose is clearer. interestingly the Encarmine Blade doesnt look as stupidly big on him as it does on the Sang Guard, but i guess that comes with the Primaris size increase.

gallery_19254_15444_58921.jpg