Blood Ravens IA July

dogfender

From the Warhammer Community article about the upcoming July WD:

Index Astartes – The Blood Ravens

The Index Astartes spotlight is shone upon one of the most mysterious Space Marine Chapters – the Blood Ravens – whose history and gene-lineage have long been the subject of much debate. Some questions yet remain unanswered (will they ever be?), but you’ll learn more about their origins, Chapter organisation and combat doctrine than ever before. There’s even a datasheet for their current Chapter Master, Gabriel Angelos, as well as a new Chapter Tactic, Stratagem and Relic unique to the Blood Ravens!

There’s loads more on the Blood Ravens and other Warhammer 40,000 content besides…

The Blood Ravens Muster

Rik Turner’s burgeoning Blood Ravens collection featured in White Dwarf many years ago, but you should see the size of it now… (hint – you can!)

Paint Splatter – Painting Blood Ravens

White Dwarfer and Space Marines painting aficionado Matt Hutson presents a stage-by-stage guide to getting your Blood Ravens ready for battle.

Ravens’ Blood

In this short story by Callum Davis, an embattled Blood Ravens fleet receives an unexpected visit from an Adeptus Custodes vessel, but what could their purpose be?

Pretty much the best we could hope for.  A hefty price drop for angelos would be great.  I was hoping for a few more relics and strats, but anything is fantastic.  

Still hoping for the strat to allow you to use any space marine relic.

"A stratagem" and "a relic" as in singular will be pretty disappointing if that is true.  

It's in line with other chapters in C:SM marines, though.  Every chapter gets one relic and strat.  It's a bit disappointing since the Fists got three in their IA article, but I'm happy to see a chapter tactic.  I half expected to not get one.

I'd personally prefer the same amount as the crimson fists, but the emperor's spears only got what, a trait? That being said, the spears weren't through the white dwarf system.

I also expect a reprint of angelos' datasheet, though some easy changes would be +1 wound at the very least to put him in line with chaptermaster in terminator armour, bs 2+ (for that krak grenade) and either another attack or change arcing swing to be 2 attacks per.

And personally, the most important part of the previewed white dwarf is that David Thule's death as part of the chaos campaign is most pretty much canon despite the blood ravens winning :(

Edit: holy, didn't realize the fists got 3 warlord traits and strats, with 2 relics. Really hoping for the same, consistent treatment

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

I didn't catch that part of Thule.

It's in the right hand column next to the picture of the primaris and a little hard to make out'

"...later destroyed by Captain Davian Thule on Kronus, though with his apparent loss during the third Aurelia Crusade" .

Now, it's speculative, but just mentioning a result I'd consider non-canon to begin with is way more than I d have liked

I'd personally prefer the same amount as the crimson fists, but the emperor's spears only got what, a trait? That being said, the spears weren't through the white dwarf system.

I also expect a reprint of angelos' datasheet, though some easy changes would be +1 wound at the very least to put him in line with chaptermaster in terminator armour, bs 2+ (for that krak grenade) and either another attack or change arcing swing to be 2 attacks per.

And personally, the most important part of the previewed white dwarf is that David Thule's death as part of the chaos campaign is most pretty much canon despite the blood ravens winning :sad.:

Edit: holy, didn't realize the fists got 3 warlord traits and strats, with 2 relics. Really hoping for the same, consistent treatment

The only easy change would be to bin that angelos model and never speak of it again. Can't believe FW would put there name to something as bad as that.

Honestly, I've seen a head swap and it looks completely fine. You can argue that his antics in dow 3 taint the model (and they do to an extent), but I actually like it more than the artel version (with said head swap).

I have to agree with that. Other than the head, which is not great but actually not that bad either, it just does not resemble Angelos (I'd recommend people to check the unpainted version which shows the sculpt much better), the rest of the model seems quite fine, and since it does not have that many Chapter-specific details, it would also make a nice base model for a terminator character.

Honestly, I've seen a head swap and it looks completely fine. You can argue that his antics in dow 3 taint the model (and they do to an extent), but I actually like it more than the artel version (with said head swap).

Do you know what head was used, by any chance?

This is very positive, in my opinion.

I am surprised to see the Blood Ravens receive rules ahead of the Minotaurs, Red Scorpions and Charcaradons however.

The index with the Crimson Fists had some nice rules and I expect this to be in similar quality.

I'm not surprised. While the Red Scorpions, Minotaurs, and Charcaradons have longer history within the Wh40k world. Blood Ravens, in my opinion, are a good choice because of the video games and recognizeability outside of the tabletop.

It was a riever head. Part number 69

It was a riever head. Part number 69

Nice, thanks.

How long do you think before Gabby gets removed from the FW downloads?

Also, he still has no ranged weapon, and they removed his grenades...?

Edited by Harleqvin

The first part of the chapter tactics seems rather niche, with it only working against S8+ weapons. The reroll could be nice, but sadly SM psykers generally aren’t that great. The stratagem would be very good if it allowed another cast, but only knowing a power and getting another deny aren’t that great either.

The Chapter Tactic is great against Plasma but otherwise not that interesting. At least it helps with psychic stuff as well.

I'm kinda mad that they got a Stratagem that should be available to every Marine chapter. The relic pistol is actually pretty strong on models without access to Plasma pistols though.

Edited by sfPanzer