Modernized Khorne Berzerkers thread

Modernized Berzerkers?

I've done a few (inspired by betrayer41 and Krautscientist):
HYWgLMi.jpg

2buVS7z.jpg

TIWotKF.jpg

DlP6LlN.jpg

I use:

• Blood Warrior torsos, waists and legs (up to the knee)
  • Mark III Marine legs below the knee
  • Assorted Chaos Marine and Berzerker Backpacks
  • Berzerker Weapons, Forge World Chainaxes (the ones not in a hand), Blood Warrior arms
  • Assorted Chaos Shoulder Pads

And if you need a size comparison, here's one compared to a Plague Marine, Blackstone Fortress Traitor Guard and a Primaris Marine:

eW9wBhZ.jpg

Here's the tutprial I made for this method

Edited by Gederas

I've done a few using the forgeworld world eaters upgrades, raptor weapons, new CSM bits, and deathwatch legs. The deathwatch legs add some height but they don't have quite the mass of the new plastics. Apologies for the lack of paint.

med_gallery_100229_13835_1357330.jpg
med_gallery_100229_13835_16893.jpg
med_gallery_100229_13835_572380.jpg
med_gallery_100229_13835_139440.jpg
med_gallery_100229_13835_929949.jpg
Edited by Lhorke The First

I've also gone the Blood Warrior route - but combined it with Mark III calves and backpacks, bits from the Raptor kits, both sets of FW chainaxes, the Rampager kit and the World Eater upgrade kit. I reckon they've come out okay (but not quite finished painting them yet, apologies)

med_gallery_54681_15681_1042661.jpg

I built a squad using the new CSM kit, with Forgeworld Night Lords heads and chainaxes from Conversion world. I think the Sons of Horus helmets would look great too.

I'm in the middle of painting them at the moment, but there are pics on my Getting Ready for ETL thread.

I used the new CSMs and the blood warrior torsos and heads along with some heads from the juggernaut riders. I forget their name. The axes I got from a shapeways site as well as using 2 from the shadowspear set.

Anyway here's a pic.

gallery_141590_15405_503133.jpg

I've used the blood warrior breast plates and trimmed to fit onto raptors (used some old school can abdomens to help make the bits fit rather than use the blood warrior waist. To me this has resulted in a more marine-like look that only using the calves and a backpack loses slightly.

gallery_62155_11151_253960.jpg

This one used an old berzerker belt which you can just about see. To do them this way does involve a fair bit of trimming to make it all fit, and does make them look a little heavy chested.

For the last two units of Berzerkers I've built, I've mixed Blood Warriors and CSM bits. In case you've never worked with it, the Berzerker kit hasn't changed since 3rd edition (1990s), so the level of detail is less than the anything more recent. The legs are a bit short compared to the new CSM, let alone primaris.

It's not all bad, since, due to scale creep, the arms look better proportioned to the newer kits. It's also a good source for chain axes of you don't use eBay or bit sellers.

Edited by Sgt. Blank

It's not all bad, since, due to scale creep, the arms look better proportioned to the newer kits. It's also a good source for chain axes of you don't use eBay or bit sellers.

The only problem with the arms is the glove on the hands. You need to use the chainswords from the same kit otherwise you have an out of place glove. You could always clip them and refit to another hand, which I will try.

There's not much I can add, as you guys have already covered so much ground when it comes to possinle recipes -- and it truly warms my heart to see so many cool Khornate kitbashes! :smile.:

Let me just add the following observations:

• The Blood Warrior snapfit models (from the older AoS starter box) and Dark Vengeance Chosen shouldn't be discounted as possible conversion fodder, especially since some of the poses and detail are still a rather excellent starting point for Khornate Marines.
  • One thing to be aware of is the possible difference in size, as the new CSM are noticeably taller than both the Blood Warriors and Dark Vengeance Chosen. This can be mitigated by mixing and matching parts and by working with a mix of poses. But some parts can become problematic (the bare Blood Warrior arms, for instance, can end up looking too short on "new" CSM).
  • When all is said and done, I think we should treat the various kits (CSM, Blood Warriors, Dark Vengeance Chosen, Skullcrushers, Skullreapers and yeah, the old berzerkers, too) as a wonderful palette we can work with to create massive, hulking and highly characterful individuals -- at least that's what I've been trying to do with my last couple of models.

Here are some of the guys I am currently working on:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-12.jpg

This selection includes older conversions that have been slightly reworked here and there...

new-we-kitbashes-wip-13.jpg

...as well as new conversions heavily based on the new kits:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-14.jpg

Anyway, keep the ideas coming, brothers and sisters! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

The only problem with the arms is the glove on the hands. You need to use the chainswords from the same kit otherwise you have an out of place glove. You could always clip them and refit to another hand, which I will try.

It won't work in every case but and easier solution may be taking the full glove and cut the arm above the wrist.

I'd compare the hand size both cutting, the old Berzerker hands are huge and you may need to put in a grip as well to cover the gap.

edit: picture of 'Zerker chainsword on Kranon's body (model's right hand - sorry for less than stellar pic)

a20IcXI.jpg

Also, you can green stuff the legs on Bloodwarriors instead of swapping them out

x75apA7.jpg?1

Edited by Sgt. Blank

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a word of warning with Shapeways chainaxes - I found that after several months, mine have gone "sparkly", and this was even visible through primer. It was quite bizarre.

I've moved onto using Conversion World chainaxes, which look better to me anyway IMHO.

Just a word of warning with Shapeways chainaxes - I found that after several months, mine have gone "sparkly", and this was even visible through primer. It was quite bizarre.

I've moved onto using Conversion World chainaxes, which look better to me anyway IMHO.

Oh interesting...through the paint even or have you just primed them?

Oh interesting...through the paint even or have you just primed them?

Just primed, but it also happened to ones that hadn't seen any paint so it wasn't the primer.