Today in Titanicus I...

Gameplay-wise I'd be a bit surprised if they made a bigger engine than the Warlord. Warlords are meant to be the big heavy engine in AT and producing something that outmatches them would cause issues both for the game and fluff. 

I'd personally design such a Titan to either be more of a "support class"(being some kind if command center, giving buffs to everyone else), built around some kind of gimmick(say having weapons pointing forward, backwards, and to the sides in fixed arcs, or an aircraft carrier Titan), or otherwise be so specialized/limited in its role that you'll still want/need a normal Warlord or two to do some of the heavy lifting.

sure this new Titan doesn't seem to be any of those things... unless that Warbringer-like top is hiding a runway for aircraft... no, not going to get my hopes up.... but that would explain the seemingly weaker anti-air guns...

Edited by RipOffProductions

I don't think we should necessarily assume that new titans will fill in the obvious "blanks" in scale between the existing engines. There could be new engines the same scale as current stuff, but with different characteristics.

True, there's nothing stopping them from making new engines at the same scale, though that they've said they've scoped out the 'in-between classes' does suggest that's one avenue being explored, even if not exclusively.

I'd actually rather they started with the characteristics-first angle though rather than assuming they need to fill in a blank. The Rapier makes sense to me as a possible knight-alternative and I like the idea of the regular Warbringer as a budget Warlord but it's not clear to me that e.g. something in-between a Warhound and a Reaver would necessarily have it's own niche or unique selling point. It could but I'd rather they led with "this is an artillery titan" or "this is a dedicated CC brawler" or whatever would be an interesting addition to the game and assign that to an appropriate and interesting size class, whether that's the same as an existing titan or between them.

Here's a thought though re: the new fellow which I turned up in Extermination when looking for details on the Legio Fureans' unique Reviler titan class:

In terms of the heaviest Titan units, it is not believed the Legio Fureans possessed any Imperator-class titans or their analogues, although it did utilise at least five adapted "Deathbringer" Warlords, which served as the Legio 's heaviest assault units.

Thoughts? The name was mentioned earlier. Doubt this was specifically seeded but maybe. Rather depends on that term 'adapted', not that there's likely to be any hard and fast rule as to where an adapted titan class (extra armour, heavier weapons?) becomes a completely different titan. I could see this being released as "Deathbringer Warlord" or "Deathbringer Heavy Titan" or similar. Bit close to the Warbringer name perhaps.

Yeah the more I look at this, the more I'm convinced it's just a completely new chassis of Titan -  there just seem to be so many divergent details than if it was a variant of either the Warlord/ Warbringer.

Having systematically gone through all of the FW Heresy & AT books for mentions of unknown units/vehicles for my own design stuff, I have noticed that while in earlier FW Black Books there were mentions of 'modified' variants of existing Titan patterns, the trend more recently has been to refer to them without the variant qualification, leading me to think they might be going in the direction of adapting the original variant classes into entirely new chassis.

I was more hoping for a smaller Titan. There must be one planned to explain why Audax has a scale limitation which is different from the scale of the Warhound. Scout and light titans fit the fluff of my Legio better.

But I'm sure I can justify this somehow...

Yeah the more I look at this, the more I'm convinced it's just a completely new chassis of Titan -  there just seem to be so many divergent details than if it was a variant of either the Warlord/ Warbringer.

Having systematically gone through all of the FW Heresy & AT books for mentions of unknown units/vehicles for my own design stuff, I have noticed that while in earlier FW Black Books there were mentions of 'modified' variants of existing Titan patterns, the trend more recently has been to refer to them without the variant qualification, leading me to think they might be going in the direction of adapting the original variant classes into entirely new chassis.

do you have a list written up of these? would be nice for all of us to be on the same page while speculating.

I don't think we should necessarily assume that new titans will fill in the obvious "blanks" in scale between the existing engines. There could be new engines the same scale as current stuff, but with different characteristics.

True, there's nothing stopping them from making new engines at the same scale, though that they've said they've scoped out the 'in-between classes' does suggest that's one avenue being explored, even if not exclusively.

I'd actually rather they started with the characteristics-first angle though rather than assuming they need to fill in a blank. The Rapier makes sense to me as a possible knight-alternative and I like the idea of the regular Warbringer as a budget Warlord but it's not clear to me that e.g. something in-between a Warhound and a Reaver would necessarily have it's own niche or unique selling point. It could but I'd rather they led with "this is an artillery titan" or "this is a dedicated CC brawler" or whatever would be an interesting addition to the game and assign that to an appropriate and interesting size class, whether that's the same as an existing titan or between them.

I remember hearing that there was some old fluff about a tripod titan out there? maybe that could be used for the warhound-to-reaver gap filler? assuming said old lore doesn't disqualify it?

Here's a thought though re: the new fellow which I turned up in Extermination when looking for details on the Legio Fureans' unique Reviler titan class:

In terms of the heaviest Titan units, it is not believed the Legio Fureans possessed any Imperator-class titans or their analogues, although it did utilise at least five adapted "Deathbringer" Warlords, which served as the Legio 's heaviest assault units.

Thoughts? The name was mentioned earlier. Doubt this was specifically seeded but maybe. Rather depends on that term 'adapted', not that there's likely to be any hard and fast rule as to where an adapted titan class (extra armour, heavier weapons?) becomes a completely different titan. I could see this being released as "Deathbringer Warlord" or "Deathbringer Heavy Titan" or similar. Bit close to the Warbringer name perhaps.

yeah, the lines between "new titan" and "new (gimmick?) weapon(s)" could be an interesting direction to take AT expansions in the future, such as a Warlord carapace "weapon" was was just extra armor plates with relevant buffs(could be a nice way to evoke the classic "beetle" design as well).

Today I decided to repaint the blue sections of my Legio Tempestus titans so I don't have blue that makes me want to stab myself with how needlessly complicated it is.

My idea is based on the beautiful Tempestus of Adam Walsh:

56ab6744.jpg

I'm thinking.... Kantor Blue base, Drakenhof Nighthshade shade, Macragge Blue as a layer and Altdorf Guard Blue as the edge highlight?

Edited by Gederas

Beautiful work on that, Gederas!

As for the new Titan, they've clearly got at least a prototype painted up, so I'm hoping for late Q1 or early Q2.

Despite all sorts of vehement arguments on FB and other areas of the internet, I really don't think they've shown us enough to be sure about size or class. I'd like to think it's a new class (Warrior?), but that's really just wishful thinking on my part.

Judging by the scale of the rivets on the photos, I'd say at least Reaver size, and likely bigger.

No idea if it's still the company line but it used to be the case that GW would never preview stuff more than 3 months out from release

do you have a list written up of these? would be nice for all of us to be on the same page while speculating.

Unfortunately I'm still going through Crusade, the AT Rulebook, Titandeath & Doom of Molech so at the moment the rest are all just massive blocks of references to all sorts of stuff in the different books - I'm gonna format them into different categories when I'm done going through the rest but I gotta do that systematically and combing back through it all for the Titan-relevant stuff would take a while.  

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

TIT I discovered a new type of urban dazzle style camo: Berlin04-1024x666.jpg (1024×666) (amazonaws.com) (British Chieftain tanks - Berlin Infantry Brigade - Wikipedia)

Guess this means I just have to paint another Titan!

It'll either be a Warbringer, or whatever that new one is.

I don't think we'll be able to guess what the new titan is. The Warbringer was an entirely new design and name, demonstrating that GW don't feel restricted to existing fluff or naming. That's fine. This new engine could be pretty much anything, from a stocky scale 7 brawler to a scale 11 monster. There's no way to know yet, unfortunately. It's fun to speculate though, so carry on :happy.:

Unfortunately I'm still going through Crusade, the AT Rulebook, Titandeath & Doom of Molech so at the moment the rest are all just massive blocks of references to all sorts of stuff in the different books - I'm gonna format them into different categories when I'm done going through the rest but I gotta do that systematically and combing back through it all for the Titan-relevant stuff would take a while.  

okay then, I look forward to seeing the full list once it's done.

what do you think is the most interesting thing you've seen so far?

No idea if it's still the company line but it used to be the case that GW would never preview stuff more than 3 months out from release

Not sure if it's a hard and fast rule (especially in the days of COVID), but they tend to adhere to that.

So here's a question:

Anyone know what's what on the Legio Ignatum transfer sheet?

a529440c.jpg

Like... Where's the Warlord, Reaver and Warhound transfers?

Asking because I decided to swap to Ignatum for my Legio (the Tempestus will become my shop's "Store Army" for Titanicus)

Edited by Gederas

gallery_77459_15993_688244.png

More seriously, crossed axes are Warlord, Crossbows are Warbringer Nemesis, Axe + T is Reaver and Fangs + T is Warhound

:lol:

Okay, that helps. I was also asking regarding the symbols and the honeycomb sections. I had the same issue with my Tempestus transfers, as they didn't have the transfers broken down my Titan class :lol:

Sorry, don't know for the honeycombs

What about the symbols? I'm assuming the larger ones are Warlord shoulder icons, the medium are Reaver and smallest are Warhounds?

Why oh why GW did you not label all of the sheets, and only some of them? :lol:

Edited by Gederas

Do you mean the little "shields"? I think there are only two sizes: one for warhounds and Reavers, one for warlords

For others, I think you can use to taste: for example there are so large flat panels even on some warhounds that would easily receive some of the larger symbols, but some of the smallest symbols might look great on small panels on the warlord or warbringer

More seriously, crossed axes are Warlord, Crossbows are Warbringer Nemesis, Axe + T is Reaver and Fangs + T is Warhound

:lol:

Okay, that helps. I was also asking regarding the symbols and the honeycomb sections. I had the same issue with my Tempestus transfers, as they didn't have the transfers broken down my Titan class :lol:

I think besides the specific icons (like the crossbow for the Warbringer) isn’t it just a case of ‘if it fits there and looks cool’?

:laugh.:

Okay, that helps. I was also asking regarding the symbols and the honeycomb sections. I had the same issue with my Tempestus transfers, as they didn't have the transfers broken down my Titan class :laugh.:

I think besides the specific icons (like the crossbow for the Warbringer) isn’t it just a case of ‘if it fits there and looks cool’?

I think this is the case, unless we eventually get something in a future AT book or black book with a note saying "the hex pattern is an armourial decoration characteristic of pre-crusade engines and veteran crews" or something. Even then it feels like they try not to be too prescriptive and leave room for multiple takes on a given symbol or detail.

Do you mean the little "shields"? I think there are only two sizes: one for warhounds and Reavers, one for warlords

For others, I think you can use to taste: for example there are so large flat panels even on some warhounds that would easily receive some of the larger symbols, but some of the smallest symbols might look great on small panels on the warlord or warbringer

Okay, that helps. I was also asking regarding the symbols and the honeycomb sections. I had the same issue with my Tempestus transfers, as they didn't have the transfers broken down my Titan class :laugh.:

I think this is the case, unless we eventually get something in a future AT book or black book with a note saying "the hex pattern is an armourial decoration characteristic of pre-crusade engines and veteran crews" or something. Even then it feels like they try not to be too prescriptive and leave room for multiple takes on a given symbol or detail.

Yeah, I was referring to the full Legio icons, not just the shields and stuff