Today in Titanicus I...

Not got the text to hand but it certainly seemed to indicate to me that a base mutation needs no representation but that the additional mutations should, which feels about right to me.

Unfortunately not. There's rules for limits on how many you can take that grow with scale, and the base mutation isn't counted for that purpose.

Just seems that people are more hesitant over custom legios or psytitans than corrupted. Which is really, very odd.

Depends on group i guess, between rarity and cost ours hasnt seen any Psy titans hit the field for example (but battlebling just made them a lot more dooable...)  and folks were keen to see Custom legios until someone power abused them, but the second version feels less broken. 

That said ill probably ban combining Custom Legios with taint at our next campaign weekend, for KISS if nothing else. Though both our custom legio players are Loyalists :D 

Did a test for a Solaria scheme today based on the recipe on the Goonhammer article. I’m realising now it’s pretty dark for Solaria, but I quite like it. It also took a while, but I think that would be mitigated doing lots of panels at once, rather than just one or two. 

51660799610_119953cd0d_h.jpg

I’ve been having a think about the new Krytos rules, but I haven’t been able to come up with any lists for 1250 or 1750 points which I couldn’t just emulate with a different maniple and a support Warlord/Warbringer. For example, if I’m playing two Warlords, a Reaver and a Warhound in an Axiom, I could get similar results by just taking the minimum Axiom with a support Warlord (with the minor downside that the support Warlord doesn’t get the Axiom benefit) but the trade off is I can use a different Legio rule set as well which feels much more impactful.

Most of my Titans are painted as Krytos, but for the event I’m going to, I’m running them without Legio rules as they don’t add any benefit to the list I’m playing, which is a bit sad.

I would like to run Krytos with their rules and do some unique list building, but so far I’m hitting a wall.

Have any of you come up with any Krytos lists which get decent use out of their traits? Goonhammer seems to think the rules are great, but I haven’t discovered why yet.

Dallo

Have any of you come up with any Krytos lists which get decent use out of their traits? Goonhammer seems to think the rules are great, but I haven’t discovered why yet.

Krytos can now take an incredibly durable Fortis maniple, involving Warlords and Warbringers instead of Reavers. At 1250 I'd recommend two Warlords and a Reaver, which should be possible if you take a cheap double-quake Warlord. Here's what that could look like:

Fortis Battleline Maniple      

Warlord Titan 440  

Mori Quake Cannon    

Mori Quake Cannon    

Paired Apocalypse Missile Launchers        

Warlord Titan 500  

Macro Gatling Blaster    

Sunfury Plasma Annihilator    

Earthbreaker Missiles        

Reaver   310  

Melta Cannon    

Gatling Blaster    

Apocalypse Missile Launcher  

Ideally you'd try and free up 15 points to make the Reaver's apoc launcher fire quake missiles. You could arguably just take them off the Warlord, which needs them less.

At 1750 you could add either a third Warlord or a Warbringer and have quite a lot of points left over for mutations. It is just possible to take 3 Warlords and a Warbringer at 1750, though I'm not sure I'd really recommend doing so. It would certainly be impressive. You'd have to spend a lot of money on resin quake cannons to get cheap enough engines though.

The other key thing that Krytos bring is a strat to allow quake (though not concussive) to work through shields. It's a 3-point strat but it's phenomenal. It works all round, so titans on first fire can slow two enemies, potentially before they even start moving. In later rounds it's less required because you'll start to bring people's shields down and you can just shoot them normally.

The effect of this is pretty brutal. Your opponent will seriously struggle to bring down the shields of Warlords and Warbringers that can merge, and which don't really need to use their reactors for anything apart from shield rerolls. And they won't easily be able to get to you (or do missions requiring movement) because they'll be quaked. I think it could be pretty harsh to play against.

The challenge for you will be any mission that requires you to go places. But that's what makes the game fun, and prevents you from just playing a straight up leafblower list.

Edit: Just for fun, here's what that 1750 list with 3 Warlords and a Warbringer might look like:

Fortis Battleline Maniple        

Warlord Titan 440  

Mori Quake Cannon    

Mori Quake Cannon    

Warlord Titan 440  

Mori Quake Cannon    

Mori Quake Cannon    

Warlord Titan 485  

Volkite Destructor    

Sunfury Plasma Annihilator    

Warbringer Nemesis Titan 395  

Mori Quake Cannon    

Gatling Blaster    

Volcano Cannon  

Edited by Mandragola

Thanks for taking the time to write that up Mandragola. What I’m hearing is that I should probably invest in a Warbringer.

Yeah, you could do. To be honest a Reaver with a melee weapon would probably be a better asset in lots of games. It's much better at doing missions than a Warbringer and it's good to have a melee threat. You can still give it an apoc launcher with quake missiles and they can hit almost anywhere on the board.

If you’d like a recipie for brighter Solaria check out this plog by splayedpaintbrush. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356213-legio-progressus-opus/?fromsearch=1

Sorry, I meant to reply to this. Thanks for the link, but I quite like the darker green that mine resulted in.

I did all the reaver panels the other day. Some of them came out a lot better than the others, I haven’t seemed to get the consistency down with the sponging method yet, but I’m fairly happy. Also used silver sharpie on the trim of a couple to see how it looked (obvs will be darkened down with nuln oil):

51672361405_9b08ca0f9c_c.jpg

51670688307_90c1cd5713_c.jpg

51672361235_a8b964f953_c.jpg

51671490466_acdd8e05de_c.jpg

Probably took a couple of hours in total which isn’t too bad. I did 4 hours of painting for like 2 days in a row without wanting to tear my hair out, which is about the most I’ve ever enjoyed painting.

I might’ve asked this before but is there like a commonly accepted ‘standard’ points value that Titanicus is played at?

Funny, I just asked that exact question in our group chat.

I imagine it varies by location, but from the answer I got, it tends to be multiples of 250. You could play a demo game as low as 750 where you can bring a Reaver and two Warhounds. The last game I played was 1k as I wanted it to finish in good time and still give me some time to get familiar with the rules.

Typically I think people play 1250 as the smaller game and 1750 as the larger game, though 1500 or 2000 aren’t unheard of. The event I’m going to is 1750, for example.

Hope this helps.

Dallo

Yup, 1250-1750 tends to be the default bracket. At 1750 you get the nice choice of one maniple with toys or two light maniples with less. This is usually 4-6 units per side and takes 2-3 hours. A solid baseline for regular games.

The important bit is just having at least three moving parts per side to promote actual maneuvering.

Yesterday in Titanicus we learnt that our local mad Audax player, (mad in that he glued his claws in) has been playing them with their old rules this whole time. He didn't buy loyalist Legios, and no one else twigged.

He won his first game last night, with the new rules!

Okay cool, thanks. I did have 1750 in mind when I was putting lists together. I had the idea of a Warmaster (Warmistress) and like 4 Warhounds for Solaria (no idea how good it would be but liked the idea) but it’s like 2000 points haha.

A Warmaster ~1100 points plus 3x 220 point Warhounds (Lupercal) can probably be filed down on some cheaper weapon options to fit 1750 ;)

Okay cool, thanks. I did have 1750 in mind when I was putting lists together. I had the idea of a Warmaster (Warmistress) and like 4 Warhounds for Solaria (no idea how good it would be but liked the idea) but it’s like 2000 points haha.

A Warmaster ~1100 points plus 3x 220 point Warhounds (Lupercal) can probably be filed down on some cheaper weapon options to fit 1750 :wink:

Yep, that’s where I’ve got to atm haha. Of course, the one Solaria Titan I’ve started painting is a Reaver…

You can just fit a Warmaster and a Ferrox maniple in 1750. It requires taking absolutely the cheapest possible options, and that's bad, but it can be done. Better to take a Lupercal, a slightly cheaper Iconoclast, or leave the Warmaster at home till at least 2000 points.

TIAT I was working on a Damicium Reaver. It’s been a nice change from my Krytos. I’ve been gifted a wet palette (my friend didn’t use it), so I’m experimenting with that to get the cream panels nice and smooth.

Something I’m trying is essentially a form of reverse edge highlighting. You choose your highlight colour and paint a chunky band around the edge of the panel making sure to get a solid colour where the edge highlights should be. You then fill in the panel with the actual panel colour and bring the paint up to where you want your highlights to start.

Can’t imagine I’m the first to try this technique, but I’m finding it substantially quicker and easier than trying to painstakingly edge highlight a completed panel.

Dallo

Edited by Brother Dallo

Hail!

Soo - I have started up on my Acastus Asterius knight; as GW's decision to release Armigers way before I thought they would, has pressured me to get in gear. That also means, that I should probably look at assembling my Atrapos Knights also.

Now, while using the Asterius is rather straight forward, does anyone have any experience with the Cerastus Atrapos knights?

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas