Pyschic Awakening: Speculation

Triszin

I will say this, everyone is talking about SW getting a new model, what of it is actually the Orks are getting models and SW get nothing. So far it looks like BA are getting mephiston, but tyranids nothing. Could the table be reversed and the Xeno's receive new models.

It's because the French rumours specifically said "Ragnar Vs. Ghaz", and so far everything they've said has been correct, so the inclination is to believe them. Plus Ragnar's model is in that Abaddon/Mephiston age range where its retirement is becoming inevitable. Ghaz is getting on in years too.
Totally valid reasons. However it could be Ragnar fights ghaz and his new model and gets beats up, and we await the next release for Ragnar.

I figure GW is trying to remove their pewter and resin models first, and work with a single medium to streamline logistics. I am not sure how Britain works but resin, from what I know, carries a higher EPA fine to produce than plastic. I suppose it will be good to have Ragnar to get a model I can cut up for my own army.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

Well, look on the bright side, if for whatever reason GW decide to pass up the opportunity to Primarify one of the oldest Space Marine models available, and one from an army that has current Codex support, just to have Ghaz beat him up, maybe there's a chance for Russ to show up later to avenge such a slight against his kin. :D

But to be honest I'm more itnerested in Ghaz. What can I say, I have more Waaagh green than Russ grey in me. And besides the potential model, I'm intrigued by Ghaz's apparent presence around Sortiarius, since that was the fourth map's location. There are some ominous implications about him in the Ork Codex, he might be up to something beyond just fighting for the hell of it.

Yes. From Simon Grant:

"...and if/when Russ returns, he certainly shouldn't be a Wulfen. What most people get confused with is the difference between the Mark of the Wulfen and the Curse of the Wulfen. The Mark is more to do with Russ’ genetic legacy, so you can have Blood Claws that grow canines worthy of a Long Fang, and warriors that are more hirsute, or grow enormous in size (like Haegr and Ranulf the Strong). The Curse of the Wulfen is more of a spiritual curse that originated with Wulfen himself."

Additionally the Canis Helix resides in the Cup of Wulfen, which was made after the founding of Russ, and the cause of the first Wulfen. It was made by the Emperor himself for Russ to give to his warriors, however he never partook of it. Any legionaries before this did not have the canis helix.

Interesting quote, thank you for that. I had always assumed that the Canis Helix was part of Russ' genetic legacy. I wonder what it's purpose was if it was possible to make SW legionnaires without it.

Yes. From Simon Grant:"...and if/when Russ returns, he certainly shouldn't be a Wulfen. What most people get confused with is the difference between the Mark of the Wulfen and the Curse of the Wulfen. The Mark is more to do with Russ’ genetic legacy, so you can have Blood Claws that grow canines worthy of a Long Fang, and warriors that are more hirsute, or grow enormous in size (like Haegr and Ranulf the Strong). The Curse of the Wulfen is more of a spiritual curse that originated with Wulfen himself."Additionally the Canis Helix resides in the Cup of Wulfen, which was made after the founding of Russ, and the cause of the first Wulfen. It was made by the Emperor himself for Russ to give to his warriors, however he never partook of it. Any legionaries before this did not have the canis helix.

Interesting quote, thank you for that. I had always assumed that the Canis Helix was part of Russ' genetic legacy. I wonder what it's purpose was if it was possible to make SW legionnaires without it.
The statements also don't make sense in conjunction with the Codex, since that book says:

He drinks from the Cup of Wulfen, and his body absorbs the first and most deadly gene-seed of the Space Wolves – the unique Canis Helix. ... The Canis Helixis necessary, however, as without this essential part of Leman Russ’ heritage the other gene helices cannot be implanted at all.

Also, the Wolf Brothers were consumed by the Wulfen issues, so they had to have access to the Canis Helix somehow.

Maybe the idea was that at one point Wolves could be made without the Helix, but either that is no longer true, there was some degradation in the Wolves' gene-seed that the Canis Helix somehow corrects, or their traditions are simply so strong that no one even ever tries to make Wolves without first imbibing the Helix. The latter could be possible, however, Russ would have been around for the creation of the Wolf Brothers, so if something horrible wouldn't happen without the Canis Helix, then he would have known. Somehow it doesn't seem like we know the whole truth about what really went on or goes on with the Wolves' gene-seed and the Canis Helix.

All that said, I wouldn't want Russ back as Wulfen - if he comes back, it should be in an Odin-form, a one-eyed mirror of his brother Magnus, and all the wiser for his time away. However, I'm not really interested in the Loyalist Primarchs being back at all (Guilliman can go ahead and get offed any time you want, GW) - so the more interesting speculation in all of this is Ghaz in his "Prime-Ork" status - does he have an even larger crafted suit of armor?

Speculate away:

Faith and Fury

While the rest of the Imperium was beset by ever-growing threats following the opening of the Great Rift, the sanctified Talledus System was considered a safe zone under the protection of the Ecclesiarchy, and by extension, the Emperor himself. The shrine world Benediction stood as a gleaming, golden monument to the Emperor’s might.

Perhaps this semblance of peace is ultimately what attracted the Ruinous Powers to it. The psychic trauma wrought by the Cicatrix Maledictum gave rise to increasingly bizarre and terrifying phenomena.

Just as fringe cults began to reveal themselves as servants of the Dark Gods, an armada of six Legions of the Heretic Astartes, directed by Kor Phaeron of the Word Bearers, arrived to destroy Talledus once and for all, and deny the notion that anywhere might be safe from Chaos.

The Sisters of Battle and Astra Militarum – bolstered by a massive strike force of Adeptus Astartes led by the Black Templars – stand firm in their creed to defend Humanity, at any cost…

The Templars brought 900 to Armageddon. Calgar led 1,000 to defend Orar's Sepulchre against Biel-Tan. Multiple Chapters responded in full Chapter strength to fight in Badab.

200 is a lot for a minor warzone. 200 is nothing against elements of four Legions led by Kor "Almost Killed Guilliman" Phaeron.

Kor Phaeron's getting a book... but NOT a 40k model and rules? That's ridiculous. I can't say heresy because Kor Phaeron is, like, heresy embodied, but it's ridiculous nonetheless.

As has been pointed out by another poster in the N&R forum, he may simply be "directing" the fleet rather than leading it in person. We'll have to wait and see. Would absolutely love a KP model though

I think we're going to get another loyal primarch who is going to be a guide/mentor to psykers.

My guess Russ, a 180 from nikea.

Who is going to show up at the Pinnacle just when it looks like humanity is going to birth a new chaos god, and switch it to the emps, and back to the golden path

Edited by Triszin

I could see him returning not as a Psyker, but as a warp focus. He can't throw around fireballs himself, or shoot lightning, but friendly psykers find the tides of the Warp bolstering their efforts, while enemy psykers feel their power draining away. He's not another Magnus, he's the Guide of Humanity, watching over them as their psychic powers develop.

Russ returning as a psyker sounds awesome.

Every Thousand Son ever : "Really ?"

"So I lost my blizzard armour at some weakling temple I was beating up those losers beare handed, then just found it super easy to create energy shields and blizzards from my own body channeling the power of Fenris instead of going back to get my armour. It's still not sorcery though." - returned Russ, M42. 

I'd really love to see him come back and sit the Wolves down for a bit of a discussion that "look guys, I know I said way back when that our magic all comes from Fenris, and is totally not sorcery, but this sort of rationalization and blindness to consequences is exactly what caused the corruption of the Thousand Sons, and allowed Chaos to sink its claws into countless societies in the Long Night. Sure, maleficarum is bad, but sticking your head in the sand and shouting BuT iT's FeNrIs doesn't make it any less from the Warp. It's the Warp, it's dangerous, so don't make excuses for it."