Pyschic Awakening: Speculation

Triszin

Lets be honest here, the lore is getting destroyed because of the marketing team and corporate combined, we will voluntarily destroy our wallets for returning primarchs and key characters like Valdor, Luther, Erebus etc as a result. I personally still have the same desire to see primarchs return for 40k that I did when I was like 12. Ashamed and not ashamed at the same time to admit it. 

Let's be honest here, if half of the old fluff were released now, we'd tear it apart and call it the laziest writing ever. The Iron Hands being led by a guy called "Ferrus Manus"? A god of murder called Cain, sorry, Khaine? There's some newly introduced world that has massive, apocalyptic fighting going on, and it just so happens to be called "Armageddon"?They didn't even get the Dark Angels colour right at one point, and just basically pretended that it was always that way. 

The reason we accept the existing fluff is because it's had decades to be filled in an expanded from being the basically-stolen fever dreams of some random British guys in the 80's. I'm not denying that some of the recent stuff has been very poorly executed, but come on, let's not pretend that what is now the most-loved fluff was originally any better.

Let's be honest here, if half of the old fluff were released now, we'd tear it apart and call it the laziest writing ever. The Iron Hands being led by a guy called "Ferrus Manus"? A god of murder called Cain, sorry, Khaine? There's some newly introduced world that has massive, apocalyptic fighting going on, and it just so happens to be called "Armageddon"?They didn't even get the Dark Angels colour right at one point, and just basically pretended that it was always that way. 

The reason we accept the existing fluff is because it's had decades to be filled in an expanded from being the basically-stolen fever dreams of some random British guys in the 80's. I'm not denying that some of the recent stuff has been very poorly executed, but come on, let's not pretend that what is now the most-loved fluff was originally any better.

Complaints about the lore always existed though, the Ferrus Manus one for instance is as old as the original Index Astartes books or older. Half the issues with newer lore, it was so shoe horned in it just didn't flow smoothly into the narrative like most of the older stuff did. GW has tipped the sensibility scales for the lore so much that if they announced for PA a returning Sanguinius, dual Fulgrim, the Fabulous Bill clone he gave that Necron collector being for loyalists (Sons of the Phoenix + Doom Eagles force) I would not bat an eye because anything seems to go these days. 

Opposed to the Chapters originally not having Primarchs, and the Space Wolves being from Lycan, and then suddenly being founded by the guy who was originally an Imperial Guard Commander, and the Crimson Fists now no longer being First Founding but successors, and the Ultramarines suddenly being First Founding and having a Primarch?

Or more recently, with the first Necron Codex and the fluff of "everything ever was because of the C'Tan"?

GW was never good at storytelling and probably will never be, but they share that with many developers. Once you get past the first ~2 years of new fluff most people stop being overly upset about it and you can start enjoying it like all the old fluff (or you do it from day 1 and ignore all the negative people).

Edited by sfPanzer

Let's be honest here, if half of the old fluff were released now, we'd tear it apart and call it the laziest writing ever.

Eh, nah. I've broken off from 40K for years at a time and come back, expecting to really see all the shoddy worksmanship on what was once beloved material, but the core material from 40K's golden age (late RT/2nd Ed) really does hold up. I think the fact that the worst you can seem to find about it is some names and inconsistency really speaks to that.

Could we get back on track instead of going on about whether or not we enjoy the current and/or old lore, which has already been discussed to exhaustion and only attracts the same tired "I don't like it" "Well I do!" "Well I don't!" back and forth over and over? We've already been warned to keep the conversation on topic, and I don't want the thread to get locked. :happy.:

So to put my money where my mouth is, here's a question: If this is taking place during the Indomitus Crusade, and Volume 3 is Blood Angels Vs. Nids, which would point towards the events of the Devastation of Baal, but Mephiston is getting Primarised, which can't happen until after the Crusade reaches Baal and the Devastation is over... what is Volume 3 actually about? Maybe the cleanup of the remaining Nids after the Devastation? 

Edited by DeadFingers

Could we get back on track instead of going on about whether or not we enjoy the current and/or old lore, which has already been discussed to exhaustion and only attracts the same tired "I don't like it" "Well I do!" "Well I don't!" back and forth over and over? We've already been warned to keep the conversation on topic, and I don't want the thread to get locked. :happy.:

So to put my money where my mouth is, here's a question: If this is taking place during the Indomitus Crusade, and Volume 3 is Blood Angels Vs. Nids, which would point towards the events of the Devastation of Baal, but Mephiston is getting Primarised, which can't happen until after the Crusade reaches Baal and the Devastation is over... what is Volume 3 actually about? Maybe the cleanup of the remaining Nids after the Devastation?

Who said MephistophelesN IS getting primarised? All we know is he’s getting a release, is this a new sculpt? Most likely bot could be just a rescultp

EDIT - thats quite funny my IPad decided to auto correct mephiston to a German Demon.....

Edited by Slasher956

Who said MephistophelesN IS getting primarised? All we know is he’s getting a release, is this a new sculpt? Most likely bot could be just a rescultp

EDIT - thats quite funny my IPad decided to auto correct mephiston to a German Demon.....

Before the leaked list came out the French guy Kikasstou already said there would be a Primaris Mephiston alongside PA3. 

We have no reason to question him, and now the leaked release list shows Mephiston apparently with a price that matches other primaris characters.

Like deadfingers I am really curious about what this means for the storyline in PA3: Blood of Baal.

Complaints about the lore always existed though, the Ferrus Manus one for instance is as old as the original Index Astartes books or older. Half the issues with newer lore, it was so shoe horned in it just didn't flow smoothly into the narrative like most of the older stuff did. GW has tipped the sensibility scales for the lore so much that if they announced for PA a returning Sanguinius, dual Fulgrim, the Fabulous Bill clone he gave that Necron collector being for loyalists (Sons of the Phoenix + Doom Eagles force) I would not bat an eye because anything seems to go these days.
There was never a time where people paying attention WOULD have batted an eye. 40k lore is ridiculous nonsense by its very nature, people just pretend it's reasonable or 'with the flow' because they enjoyed it a long time ago and can no longer see how stupid it all was. The entire horus heresy was just a Cheaper by the Dozen movie only with an autistic dad, no mom, and a sadder ending.

The off the wall buffoonery and completely over the top set pieces are the best parts of 40k.

Edited by ERJAK

It's probably about cleaning up the Baal system.

Maybe mephiston finds a tyranid organisms that has been built using the blood of fallen bloodangels?

I heard from somewhere (that I now cannot quite remember) that Necrons would be the BA's opponents as the ceasefire brought about by the Nid invasion breaks down.

However I think the leaked release list showed Nid models (Hive Tyrant and Termagant repacks) coming out at the same time so continuing the Shield/Devastation of Baal storyline seems likely.

Edited by Karhedron

I don’t know that there was ever much buffoonery - it was more of an 80’s-era punk sci-fi vibe, à la 2000 AD, Heavy Metal, Wizards, etc. That was mostly early RT, though, and 40K actually moved pretty quickly towards the foundations of what we’ve got today, with that first era only really surviving in Orks. Edited by Lexington