How will the Psychic Awakening affect the Grey Knights?

Ichar

I don’t know if I said this before, but this is going to make GK a “thinking mans” army.

We have a lot of tools and strategies that require some forethought and practice for it to make work well. Because one mistake or misstep and we lose all our models.

A good buff all around.

I don’t know if I said this before, but this is going to make GK a “thinking mans” army.

We have a lot of tools and strategies that require some forethought and practice for it to make work well. Because one mistake or misstep and we lose all our models.

A good buff all around.

Well this was the case beforehand anyway. At least now we can do something before that happens. :teehee:

Between the pts cut and this buff, GK are looking really strong. Maybe not ironhands strong, but definitely competitive vs most armies strong

I would never want them to be Iron Hands level...we don't need to bring back 5ed Grey Knights. 

Anyway, Dominus Discipline is for characters only, so I'm thinking GK librarians could come back in a substantial way. It's the only not-named character that can cast twice per psychic phase, and with the new Shard relic would get the +1 re-rolling, for psychic tests. 

Just thinking, would the Lore Master WT be updated to have the Warlord know an extra power from either Sanctic OR the Dominus disciplines....? 

Ok, here comes a full list:

Main

1. Masters of the Warp - affects all GK units except servitors.

2. Psyweapons: all kinds of psycannons and psilecers, as well as Psybolt Ammunition-affected bolt weapons.

3. They fixed relics to be appropriate category weapons, e.g. soul glaive is a nemesis weapon and FoD is a bolt weapon.

Chaplain

Only changed the profile to use litanies. He knows LoH and 2 MORE from the table, but still can chant only 1 per turn. I'm certain that a single chaplain will be able to fulfil all key task.

Statagems

The marine ones:

Transhuman Physiology - should I even comment on it?

Vengeance of the Machine Spirit - okaish for us. Could be useful with stormraven.

Big Guns never tire - don't see much use to it, since half of our vehicles have -1 to-hit. Good for a Stormhawk/Talon wing, maybe? Too expensive, if vehicle has only a single weapon, IMO.

Fury of the First Proven - for terminator keyword, so affect characters and paladins too. Good of a Paladin bomb build.

Duty Eternal - can't recall original CP cost, but looks like 1 CP cheaper for us. Maybe, we can field two venedreads with it.

Steady advance - don't see much use to it, since it is best on large units and we don't want large units besides paladin bomb or 10 interceptors (which is probably better be divided in 2 x 5 too). Still keep this one in mind.

Our unique ones:

Masters of combat (2CP) - if paladins unit didn't fight and is chosen as a target, this strat can be used on it. They will fight after death. Too expensive, IMO, but sometimes can be very useful, if you've got intercepted in combat phase.

Overhelming assault (1CP) - +1 A for NDK keyword and reroll 1's to-wound and damage. Very nice one. I'd trigger it everytime NDK enters something big. With shock assault it has good chances to lay down a knight in one phase.

Dynamic insetrion - was previewed. You won't need this one often but it can win you games if you can capitalaze on opponent mistakes. Can be useful for Paladin bomb.

Bring down the Beast (2CP) - chose a MONSTER or VEHICLE and reroll to-wound with WHOLE YOUR ARMY. Expensive but if pulled in right moment, it will be devastating.

Powerful adept (1CP) - +6" to all psychic powers for a single unit till the end of the phase. Again, no comment. Has infinite uses and adds a lot of flexibility. Note, however, that purifiers and Crowe cannot use it, because they don't have RoB as well as Relic Banner.

Fight on the move (1 CP) - Interceptors can charge and shoot after fall back. Adds even more mobility to our most mobile unit. Great at helping to reach enemy backline.

Empyric Surge (1CP) - was reviewed. Great for psychobomb builds.

Redoubtable Defence (1CP for 5 model unit, 2 CP for 6-10 model unit) - -1 damage for terminator keyword in shooting phase. Paladin bomb anyone?

Untainted and Unbowed (1 CP) - 4++ for Purifiers when they are chosen as a target for an attack. I would consider a unit of purifiers at least for fun games now. Combine with sanctuary for 3++. It also adds auto-morale pass.

Preternatural Senses (1 CP) - 4+ overwatch for purgation squad. Situational, to be honest, but still can see a use once in a while. Probably 10-men purgation squad now makes sense.

Dominus Discipline

It is for characters only. Can't be combined with sanctic. I'd probably give it to Voldus + Librarian, since they will know 5 out of 6 powers. This also creates a decent target saturation for snipers.

1. Warp Shaping (WC5) - change tide. Instantly, You can play with this a lot. Most obvious - start with Escalation, drop psychobomb, throw smites, shift to shadows after. The next turn shift to Escalation, throw smite. Perfect. Auto-Include. Probably, you'll want more than one.

2. Armoured Resilience (WC6) - another auto-include. -1 to-wound to an infantry unit within 12". Another element of Paladin bomb. Very useful on beatstick characters too.

3. Etherial manipulation (WC7) - chose a unit within 6". It reroll hit rolls within half range in shooting phase. Kinda meh. You still want Draigo. See no reason to go for it, unless you want to save points on him. On the second thought, it allows to reroll all hit rolls, not only failed. Keep this in mind.

4. Edict Imperator (WC7) - a unit within 12" can shoot and immediatly move (but cannot advance). This is GREAT. Very useful for the first turns to get transports in range fast. Perfect on footslogging GMNDK's. I'm not sure, if it allows to ignore advance, but still very good even if it doesn't. Unfortunately, you cannot deepstrike and move, but you can clear chaff before bombing something important with smites. Auto-include, hands down.

5. Empyrean Domination (WC7) - was reviewed. Auto-include.

6. Inner fire (WC5) - this one is interesting. Roll a number of dice, equal to a psychic test roll. For every roll of 1 the caster suffers a mortal wound. For every roll of 3+ one enemy unit within 1 suffers a mortal wound. Let's see, your average roll is 7 and you get auto +1, thus, 8. This means, on average about 1-2 MW for the caster and 5-6 MW for the target. Very powerful spell, if used correctly. Perfect for Brotherhood Champion or Crowe since they do more damage upon dying. Consider combining with Empyric channeling, Sanctic Shard or Cuirass of Sacrifice, Litany of Faith, etc. Not an autoinclude, but should be strongly considered in certain builds and armies.

Relics

Blade of Foresworn.

Replaces nemesis force sword. +1S -3 3. Daemons cannot take invulnerable saves from its attacks. Strong, but our relic slots are more limited than marine ones, so we are capped at 3 relics for now. Still good for friendly games and against daemons.

Sanctic Shard

+1 for psychic tests and reroll result if you wish. Our new best relic right here. Throw it on a loremaster librarian with several Dominus powers or Vortex of doom. It is practicaly and auto-cast for most of our powers and ultra-reliable Vortex with high chances of triggerin power-up. Combine with Empyric Channeling and Artisan Nullifier Martix for Ultimate Fun.

Augurium Scrolls

Nemesis weapons within 6'' of a wielder scores 2 hits insted of 1 on an unmodified roll of 6. Death to the false emperor on steroids. Very useful for paladin/character bomb, but not that useful till turn 3 and onwards. Very good but not auto-include.

Stave of Supremacy

Was reviewed. Skip. Not much useful even against psychic-heavy armies and other choices are better. Not "liber demonica" level of bad, but you don't want to waste slots on it.

Artisan Nullifier Matrix

Librarian only. Once per turn increase or decrease psychic test roll for GK within 6'' of the bearer. Good choice for second relic or even third relic. Not an auto-include but if you go for character psychobomb, it could save you against random perils, help to cast vortex or power up it to D6. Not an auto-include but very strong choice.

Aetheric Conuit

Techmarine Restores 2d3 wounds to a vehicle instead of d3. Nice but you really don't needed. Once again, not "liber demonica" level of bad and you can even make a build with it - VenDread which halves damage in 2+ -1 to-hit cover and a techmarine, that heals it every turn.

Litanes

For some reason, GW decided to make our litanies for shooty stuff mostly. The worst thing about them is that they are chanted at the start of the turn. Gate resolves the problem to a cetrtain extent, but some requires units to be chosen within 6, so it doesn't work perfectly. You can cosider a second chaplain but it's harder to achieve their full potentiall and you are tight on points too. Chose wisely.

1. Litany of faith. 5+++ against MW to all units within 6". Very strong against certain armies, overwise skip. Nice addon to paladin bomb.

2. Words of power. Select one unit within 6''. It can reroll damage. No restrictions to nemesis or psy. VenDreads, LRs and SRs can really benefit from it. Well, any unit can benifit from it. Very strong choice, but harder to deliver to the front line.

3. Intonement for Guidance. Select unit within 6''. Ignore hit modifiers for ranged weapons. Combine with VenDread to take down pesky eldar flyers and other nasty stuff. Very helpful for purgators too. Nice secondary choice.

4. Refrain of Convergence.

+3 for the deny roll for chaplain. +4 total with BoP. Sounds very strong, but, in fact, too situational to be used often. If your opponent depends on a certain cast too much, go for it and you have very high chances to deny it. Or fail. Or fail a litany.

5. Recitation of Projection.

Was reviewed. Situational. IMO, there are better choices.

6. Invocation of focus. Select one unit within 6''.  Nemesis or Psyweapons gains an additional -1 AP.  Limited in use but can be very powerful. You can make S6 AP -2 D3 +1 psilencer unit in cover, supported by chaplain. Or 40 S6 AP-2 2 damage bolter fulilade from 10-man strike or terminator unit.

^ Honestly, it feels like GW put a fair amount of effort into this, much more than many of us (and for good reason) were expecting them to.

My local group and some online GK players have been playing with these house rules for the last few months:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/357800-codex-grey-knights-amendments-project/  just took keep playing mono-GK fresh and competitive with all the other army rule improvements.

While there are some really cool similarities, even with the differences the way GW approached the PA4 rules for GK, it seems going back to GW's new official rules,  I don't think I'll feel let down or worse off for it overall. So for me personally, it was much more than I was expecting... 

One nice thing, for me at least, is that with some of the new stratagems, it seems every infantry unit in the army has some nice things. Paladins and purifiers got some defensive kit, purgators got some anti charge kit, interceptors got some mobility kit.

One thing that I realized is with the edict, you get can move shoot move or with purgators, not move, then shoot and move avoiding the -1. I feel like that is going to be a fun piece of kit to play with.

A lot of people are on about Psilencers, but I am liking psycannons, d2 is a sweet thing.

One nice thing, for me at least, is that with some of the new stratagems, it seems every infantry unit in the army has some nice things. Paladins and purifiers got some defensive kit, purgators got some anti charge kit, interceptors got some mobility kit.

One thing that I realized is with the edict, you get can move shoot move or with purgators, not move, then shoot and move avoiding the -1. I feel like that is going to be a fun piece of kit to play with.

A lot of people are on about Psilencers, but I am liking psycannons, d2 is a sweet thing.

Doesn't Edict say you can't shoot or charge again later in the turn. So you still only get to shoot once per turn. 

** EDIT**Never mind I see what you were saying now I read it first thinking you said you can shoot twice. My bad

Edited by newdigitalGK

Went through the GoonHammer review.

So for 2 CP ( Dynamic Insertion and Powerful Adept) we can drop a character 3" away from an enemy character if done correctly and pop Inner Fire. Seems at the minimum incredibly fun. Will work at at 5+ MW on average to the character.

so a quick Edict Imperator question, can a unit inside say a storm raven then get out of the storm raven in the movement phase and act as normal?

Well, you already can act as normal, when you get out from stormraven.

So for 2 CP ( Dynamic Insertion and Powerful Adept) we can drop a character 3" away from an enemy character if done correctly and pop Inner Fire. Seems at the minimum incredibly fun. Will work at at 5+ MW on average to the character.

Yes, nothing stops you from it. But I am 90% sure that this is unintended and will be faqed within two weeks as well as a lot of interesting AIRCRAFT interactions. Unitl then we may have fun.

Why would it be FAQ'ed though? It's not immensely powerful. And the chances of catching a character out is low. That's why I just said it would be fun. 

What Aircraft interactions? I know the stormraven and other flyers will get a possible -2 to hit in Tide of Shadows but that's not even too powerful.

So on Voldus.....

His WLT allows him to choose an additional power from the Sanctic discipline. However, can he choose powers from the Dominus discipline while still retaining this WLT? I.e. 3 from Dominus and 1 from Sanctic?

Because that Inner Fire bomb got a lot nastier if so...........drop him in like above, pop off Inner Fire and then GoI him back out of danger. FAQ will be needed for that definitely.

Once the excitment is gone and I think more and more about it this addition leaves me with a weird feeling. From a competitive stand point it seems that the optimal way to play greyknight is to spam purgation squads and flyers supported with chaplain and few psykers, and use our powers to shoot from cover and benefit from the shrouding. Since when are we back field shrouded fire support army?. It really feels that the lacks of bonus to charge or advance+charge option totally missed the what grey knights are for. Dont get me wrong we got some very strong buffs, probably enough to bring us back to more than playable format but just it feels weird. Even the paladin bomb seems like a very tempting choice but without being able to charge before turn 3 most likely and all the options to do board control I wonder if they will have an impact.

Lore master CAN know one more spell from Sanctic Discipline, but CANNOT generate powers from more than one disciline. So I assume, no, you cannot give Voldus powers from two disciplines if he is warlord.

You still can GoI him with another unit with proper positioning, though.

I would think that WT needs to be updated to make more sense / proper use of it. It should be updated to be applicable for either Discipline.

-2 to hit against our FLYERS seems okay so far, how often can you keep a SR completely in terrain?

It's a shame the Tide of Convergence was restricted to Infantry, it would have been a boon for doomglaive Dreads and twin psycannon equipped vehicles - at least for casual games.

Hmm...am I correct in thinking you can now give BroCap Stern the relic Force Sword? If you're planning to bring a BroCap for the double range Smite, Stern is cheaper while being able to cast 2 powers per turn - can actually also fight with something better than a NF Sword? Sure not the most competitive use for a Relic slot...but definitely a brand new boost for Stern if he was in your list already....