Primaris Shrike

While I understand that the proportions might be off with the upper and lower armour, I feel it fits perfectly into the idea that they're running with now that is the armour plates are built upon and added to as needed, and not separate suits per say.

I can fully see Shrike being in an assault element and eventually hitting a button to make his Omnis pack fall off and he would become a semi-reiver.

I've given it a night and while I still will most likely go helmeted version, the head is starting to look not as bad as on first viewing. Gives a good 'I don't care about appearances' or dishevelled look that RG would go for imo anyway.

This does not unmake or half make it Phobos.

Gravis armor can be flying or non flying. The presence of "fly balls" on the legs is irrelevant to the pattern of the armor, its just there wether the unit flies or not. 

The only Omnis unit we've seen prior to Shrike Is Surpressors, which are flying, and thus have "fly balls". The fly balls on regular Omnis legs are behind t he heels (just like Gravis incidentally). Shrikes fly balls are mounted higher up. He doesn't have omnis style lower legs at all, no Omnis style leg grav chute panes... his lower legs instead feature the very distinctive Phobos boots with the ridge thing above the foot etc. My point is yes, he has flying legs, but nothing about the legs say Omnis, though the rest of his armor does.

Call it what you will, calf armour attachment with jet is clearly omnis in style, not phobos. Ditto for claw landing gear, 100% omnis. Yes, the armour was stripped down a bit so he lacks heavy omnis 'boots', but what you think is phobos is the base plate found literally underneath every Mk X armour, and since it lacks phobos plating and other elements it's stripped down omnis.

Call it what you will, calf armour attachment with jet is clearly omnis in style, not phobos. Ditto for claw landing gear, 100% omnis. Yes, the armour was stripped down a bit so he lacks heavy omnis 'boots', but what you think is phobos is the base plate found literally underneath every Mk X armour, and since it lacks phobos plating and other elements it's stripped down omnis.

Omnis style has the "attachment with jet" behind the heels, not at the calves. Neither is the claw landing gear, as I presume you mean they evoke Repulor plates under the boots, particular to Omnis either, as those are found on Gravis as well. So, no I don't agree its 100% Omnis.

And yes the base suit is found under all armor, but Phobos too adds bits on top of the base suit. Smaller lighter Phobos specific bits. 

Shrike has removed Omnis bits from his legs and added Phobos bits instead. Hence his legs look more "Phobos" rather than "Omnis"

And yes this probably is a small nitty gritty detail to be disucssing, but I quite enjoy such anylsis of my little plastic mans.

Hey, uh I bet if we are even a little patient (you know like true Sons of Corax) when we see the rules for the model, we will see how the mechanics effected the sculpt? I know it's common to say they make rules after the sculpt but I think the Primaris line nixes that urban myth myself. I bet the armor is more than just 3+ phobos-omni armor. I do hope the shoulder pads are separate though. I'd have actually liked a heavier nod to the Reivers who I will be having follow Kestrel <Shrike> into battle, but hey it's a masterpiece compared to that stuff the other guys are wearing.

.... and if can be swapped for the helmet, I'll be more than happy to swap some bits for anyone who doesn't want theirs. More than two decades of the game and I haven't seen a helmetless head I was excited about painting until now. 

I've given it a night and while I still will most likely go helmeted version, the head is starting to look not as bad as on first viewing. Gives a good 'I don't care about appearances' or dishevelled look that RG would go for imo anyway.

My only complaint with the head is the hair isn't long enough. It's always described as being about shoulder length when he appears in a book.

Not to mention you can paint him as dark as you want when you get him yourself.

Who would have thought that?

Well clearly you seeing as you're using the light paint job as one of your points of contention and dislike? Won't go down this rabbit hole.
It's almost like I was expressing my opinion. Other people are allowed to like the model and paintjob. I haven't told anyone one that theyre not allowed to like it, because I actually do like it on the whole. The things I mentioned I find detract from it on the whole and I intend on changing.

I'd honestly say the shoulder is my biggest disappointment, but I have enough forgeworld ones that giving him a set of dark fury should be no problem

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

I don't mind Phobos armor but I can't decide if Shrike looks like he's wearing skinny jeans. I wonder if full on Omnis legs would look better and help with the proportions.

I'd also like a more dynamic, attacking pose. I wonder how much work would be needed to move the right arm down and back and bring the left arm forward to be swiping at an enemy.

GAWDDAMNIT what is it with company grade officers not wearing their helmets in the 40 universe?!?!?  This is why the enlisted troops all think O's are idiots.

I like the model. +1 for me!  Not sure If I'll chop off the helmet from his belt and give him a beakie yet. That will be a game day decision.

GAWDDAMNIT what is it with company grade officers not wearing their helmets in the 40 universe?!?!?  This is why the enlisted troops all think O's are idiots.

I like the model. +1 for me!  Not sure If I'll chop off the helmet from his belt and give him a beakie yet. That will be a game day decision.

Probably because Space Marines can survive half their head getting blown off? :rolleyes: Which you "no helmets are dumb!" naysayers always seem to forget? And if it's an injury that'd kill a marine outright, the helmet wouldn't be doing much to protect them anyway?

Edited by Gederas

I'm actually more convinced now that the gun Shrike is holding is Blackout.

Mostly since I had the realization that it's not a pistol. It has a foregrip on it, which a pistol does not have. If you look at the design for pretty much any Primaris bolt pistol there is very little between the magazine and the start of the barrel, let alone enough space to fit a second hand in a rifle grip.

Um, no. There are already primaris pistols with 4 grooves and front accessory dangler:

99120101180_PrimarisChaplain02.jpg

It's Omnis, which admittedly is very similiar to Tacticus. Everything about the armor is Omnis except the legs which you correctly identified as Phobos. That's pretty much where my initial confusion when looking at the model came from

It's only half-phobos though. Legs still have omnis-style jump jets.

After looking at Reiver Heavy Bolt Pistols, it definitely looks exactly like one, but with a muzzle break on it.

I don't mind Phobos armor but I can't decide if Shrike looks like he's wearing skinny jeans. I wonder if full on Omnis legs would look better and help with the proportions.

I'd also like a more dynamic, attacking pose. I wonder how much work would be needed to move the right arm down and back and bring the left arm forward to be swiping at an enemy.

I know the Phobos legs have been under a lot of critiscism, but I think the more svelte aesthetic is fitting for something in a recon/forward ops role that also occupies a psychological warfare space.

I think it comes back around to barriers and degradation. While a marine's power armor can do many things, including amplify the senses, at the end of the day, being encased inside a ceramite suit definitely has to muffle other senses. Whenever I see a marine office with helmet off, I easily imagine a scene with said officer removing the helmet to get a "better feel" for their surroundings and choices. I think it especially fits well with this sculpt, as I see him as landing on this perch to overlook the enemy, removing his helmet, and using his eyes to survey whats in front of him. Lets not forget that marines can effectively taste smells, so their olfactory system has to have incredible range, that a helmet only limits/dampens. Plus it's not like he can't just snap it right back on before the drop.

I like the new model personally. Isn't it a bit odd that he's still sporting 3rd Company colours even though he's CM now?

I found the 3rd Company colors bit a tad weird as well. I feel like he should have full white shoulders, or black with Gold/white trim, something along those lines.

I think it comes back around to barriers and degradation. While a marine's power armor can do many things, including amplify the senses, at the end of the day, being encased inside a ceramite suit definitely has to muffle other senses. Whenever I see a marine office with helmet off, I easily imagine a scene with said officer removing the helmet to get a "better feel" for their surroundings and choices. I think it especially fits well with this sculpt, as I see him as landing on this perch to overlook the enemy, removing his helmet, and using his eyes to survey whats in front of him. Lets not forget that marines can effectively taste smells, so their olfactory system has to have incredible range, that a helmet only limits/dampens. Plus it's not like he can't just snap it right back on before the drop.

I like the new model personally. Isn't it a bit odd that he's still sporting 3rd Company colours even though he's CM now?

I found the 3rd Company colors bit a tad weird as well. I feel like he should have full white shoulders, or black with Gold/white trim, something along those lines.

Oh yeah, the senses thing is also a thing. It's canon that's why Space Wolves don't like wearing helmets unless absolutely necessary, as the helmets deadens their ability to use their enhanced (even by Marine standards) scent and hearing.

Also: I think it's more that the painters were using his old model as a reference and forgot that his colours should be different since he's Chapter Master now.

I don't want to quote the quotes and trim out stuff so...

I don't mind the Phobos legs, I'm not sure I like them on Shrike. I think they look great on Reivers and the Phobos Captain I'm painting up (check my WIP's for pictures if you want).

Regarding the trim for 3rd company - is that maybe something they've done to represent where he came from? He's still got the white arms and extra bedazzlement of an HQ to signify he's in a veteran leadership position.

So are you guys generally happy the chapter is getting fresh model support?

I'm actually over the moon about it. It's been so long since we got any kind of model support. Between this and an official upgrade sprue, its honestly more than I ever would have expected if asked about it a couple months ago.

I actually just watched the vid (the one where he applies to be CM) and it shows off the model better as the camera pans around. I like him a lot more than from just the pic in the article.

I actually just watched the vid (the one where he applies to be CM) and it shows off the model better as the camera pans around. I like him a lot more than from just the pic in the article.

Vid made no sense since he's been chapter master since Damocles lol

Maybe it's the first time he's been to Terra since then and that was just the High Lords official stamp of approval on a promotion he already had.

GAWDDAMNIT what is it with company grade officers not wearing their helmets in the 40 universe?!?!? This is why the enlisted troops all think O's are idiots.

Don't need a helmet when you're sporting a force field that can stop a lascannon cold.