Runic Awakening: Speculation

Dark Shepherd

Super Doctrine is very meh compared to all other ones. Like why even bother?

Yeah, that does seem seriously unimpressive. It is interesting to compare to it to Blood Angels who get a flat +1A.

Consider a 5-man unit of Intercessors which will get on average 10 hits on the charge for Marines with no super-Doctrine. Blood Angels would get 13.3 hits. Wolves would get 12.5 hits.

Now this straight comparison is a bit misleading as the BA bonus is a flat bonus. The SW bonus however scales with the number of attacks. The more dice you roll, the bigger the bonus. This means is slightly better than the BA super-doctrine for models with 3A on their profile and gets progressively better as the number of attacks increases. Ragnar for example gets far more benefit from exploding 6s than he would from a single extra attack.

To get mileage from this super-doctrine, you will need to get high-attack units and stack them with bonuses like the Wulfen Stone.

Yea thats my main criticism TBH. Wulfen are still really really good, which is good, but its so stale...

That said Bjorn with touch of the wild in Assault doc? Yea ill take it. :D

Are we expected to get a bonus to our chapter tactic from this book? Like blood angels got +1 to advance and charge added to the red thirst rule in their PA book?

I suspect if there was a change they would have at least alluded to it in this article.

A nooby question as I don't totally get this - the paragraph after the 'super doctrine' on Warhammer Community says:

"When combined with an extra Attack from Shock Assault and a bonus of +1 to hit in the first round of combat thanks to their Hunters Unleashed ability, the Space Wolves certainly won’t be taking any prisoners in the Fight phase!"

So even with Hunters Unleashed hit rolls count as unmodified

So what happens with crushing teeth and the super doctrine...I guess any 6s from the Twolf generate more crushing teeth hits and any 6s from the rider more rider hits?

Its FAQ bait but RAW since it's a weapon that generates the attacks, I would argue you could use whatever you wanted. The weapon may be generating them but its not the the weapon that gets them IMO, since the rider is still the "model".

The super doctrine is good for our characters but meh for our basic troops. Was hoping we’d get stuff to help us move across the board quicker.

Death grip bite is cool. Good primaris killer. Give riders thunder hammers and it’s gogogogo. Still keeping my TWC on the shelf as they can’t go up ruins and that’s a dealbreaker.

They really didn’t want to go over the top for us even though they’ve been doing it for everyone else.

As always the wolves play through their characters and our characters got a boost. And the fact that doctrines must be cycled through only helps make our stronger even if ours may be worse than WS and BA. (Marginally worse than BA) BA is +0.66 hits per model on the charge. Ours is +0.167 x attacks per model always. On 4 attack models ours is better because it’s always.

The super doctrine is good for our characters but meh for our basic troops. Was hoping we’d get stuff to help us move across the board quicker.

Death grip bite is cool. Good primaris killer. Give riders thunder hammers and it’s gogogogo. Still keeping my TWC on the shelf as they can’t go up ruins and that’s a dealbreaker.

They really didn’t want to go over the top for us even though they’ve been doing it for everyone else.

As always the wolves play through their characters and our characters got a boost. And the fact that doctrines must be cycled through only helps make our stronger in comparison even if ours may be worse than WS and BA. (Marginally worse than BA) BA is +0.66 hits per model on the charge. Ours is +0.167 x attacks per model always. On 4 attack models ours is better because it’s always.

Edited by Wolf Guard Dan

Simon mentioned that it was possible for Ragnar to get up to 40 attacks in close combat (with perfect rolls, obviously).  By combining Touch of the Wild with Savage Fury (their buff to the Assault Doctrine) and the Exhortation of Rage Litany.  That's pretty cool.

Simon mentioned that it was possible for Ragnar to get up to 40 attacks in close combat (with perfect rolls, obviously). By combining Touch of the Wild with Savage Fury (their buff to the Assault Doctrine) and the Exhortation of Rage Litany. That's pretty cool.

But that just means he'll be focused the minute he's on the board and he'll never make it to cqc

Will anyone using Veteran Intercessors? I am tempted since at the Moment I am only running one Squad with Power Fist at 1000 Points and squeezing out more  from them seems tasty, especially with Savage Fury (and cool, cool is allways important), but then...1 CP is 1 CP.

Will anyone using Veteran Intercessors? I am tempted since at the Moment I am only running one Squad with Power Fist at 1000 Points and squeezing out more  from them seems tasty, especially with Savage Fury (and cool, cool is allways important), but then...1 CP is 1 CP.

1 CP which you get back, once the TH sarge with his 5 attacks smashes a character.

2 impulsors, 2x5 vet intercessors, sergeants with TH. Ragnar and a Wolf Priest with the new SW litany. Could bring some pain to the enemy.