Runic Awakening: Speculation

Dark Shepherd

While there is certainly some merit to your reasoning. This would have been a chance to break out of that mold and dare for something different. Thousand Sons and Grey Knights showed that venturing into different Design Spaces can yield exciting Results. I do think that Space Wolves would have been a great Canvas to try similar. There is no shortage of Chapters using Combat Doctrines. Not hating, at least we are brought more in Line, just...a bit dissapointed.

Confirmed, Wolves are definitely getting the shaft in the box set. Estimating using current points values and Shrike's point value for Ragnar (Shrike's a close median out of the existing Primaris characters, aside from Calgar, who is an outlier and not from the same series of updates, which range from 105 for Kor'sarro to 140 for Adrax) Wolves clock in at about 360 points, whereas the Orks (using the weapons options shown for the units on GW's website, not including Makari and using Ghazghkull's current point value - meaning this is undershot) clock in at 492 points. That said, the Orks are not battle-forged, meaning they actually aren't a usable force for Matched Play, whereas the Wolves are a good Patrol Detachment. I think this box is primarily for people who play both Orks and Wolves.

Edit: Makari. He's an Elites option. Probably. Meaning the Orks get a better Detachment.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

I am curious how many people actually play both Orks and Wolves. It takes a special type of person to play either and I think they'd get filled up with just one of the factions. Playing both would be crazy. Alright, who of you lunatics plays both?

Edit: Wispy in the "This Week in Warhammer" video they say we get combat doctrines.

Edited by Wolf Guard Dan

I am curious how many people actually play both Orks and Wolves. It takes a special type of person to play either and I think they'd get filled up with just one of the factions. Playing both would be crazy. Alright, who of you lunatics plays both?

Edit: Wispy in the "This Week in Warhammer" video they say we get combat doctrines.

looks at my orks tau and wolves

I hope it's a word-for-word, because if it's not, it's the worst of both. For one, Wolves don't get anything interesting and unique, they just have Doctrines, if they get not-Doctrines that just work the same. At the same time, if they get not-Doctrines, they also can't soup with other Marines. I want it to be word-for-word because I also collect other Marines.

I honestly don't think that we are going to get anything unique in the new rules/Primaris sphere for non-Codex Marines until GW gets all the Primaris "Chambers" out - then, and only then, will I expect to start seeing some diverging and flavorful rules begin to come out, though we'll probably be play 8.2/10th Edition by then. Stinks, but that's about when I think we'll see the classic Marines really start to fade away and all the Chapter-specific versions of Primaris start to come out to play, which will finally allow for some decent Chapter specific rules.

I think we are all getting focused on the term "combat doctrine" a bit too much. We have to look at it as a generic term, much like "Space Marine". Combat doctrines are how soldiers conduct warfare, and are not a specific guideline. A ancient Greek combat doctrine would differ from a viking combat doctrine or a Persian. Combat doctrines could be easily replaced with "warfare style" or "tactical operation method". It just means how we conduct business of war. Until we know more we are going off baseless speculation for 2 words.

I am hoping we have something like a pursuit phase to let us get into melee faster.

IF we get the same doctrines

Devastator

Long Fangs & their strats whove already been deadly since the codex, become even deadlier, lascannons going straight through on most things turn 1

Anything heavy hitting turn 1 drop podded in marines gets more lethal

Tactical

Aggressors (who seem to be getting all the love) really benefit

Assault

All those ap -4 hammers and fists :)

Its a semi copy and paste from Bloode Angels but I wouldnt rule out us also getting +1 advance and charge as a melee lovin marine army

The SW value is 50 GBP without box discount. Ghaz alone will cost that much I think, plus 20 for Boyz and 38 for big mek for a total of ~108 GBP. So 158 with no discount, 110 with discount maybe? Then you need to factor in 2 books...

If I split it I would pay more than 1/3 the box price, if there were 2 books.

Aside from the units just being unwolfy and bland and MEH, the price is ok the contents stacks up £60/93 in orcs favour.  so find an orc collector and you pay 2/5's they pay 3/5's. £105 from a reseller get the 20% discount.

UK: £105 * 80% is £84 / 5 is 16.8 * 2 is £33.60 is how much we pay for Ragnar and 10 infiltrators. Infiltrators are £35 alone and Ragnar most likely £25, so for 33.6 its not actually too bad. So long as you don't already have infiltrators

makes me cautiously optimistic now

Strangle your optimism in the cradle lest you doom us all! :lol:
No mention of pet Wolves on Ragnar's datasheet. I assume this is an oversight that will be faq'd but to arms!

120-140 points looks good though considering the buffs

Edited by Dark Shepherd

120-140 points looks good though considering the buffs

Shouldn't he be even cheaper? PL 6 means 120 +/-10 AFAIK. :-)

Maybe if it was a unit, but its a character.

Previous Ragnar is pl 7 115 pts

ulrik the slayer PL6 88pts

primaris WL is 6PL 77 Pts

rune priest 6 PL 90 Pts

so im guess anywhere between 80 - 90 Pts