Runic Awakening: Speculation

Dark Shepherd

Going by our codex they lumped Inceptors in with Blood Claws, as funny as us going oooh all those heavy bolter shots...better have our weakest ballistic skill is, I want jump pack assault Primaris.

That said, and this fits the drop pod thing, GW have said they want the Primaria to compliment O.G marines and were avoiding direct replacements for roles/units

Since the Blood Claws thing doesn’t have anything to do with PA, while Ragnar’s new form & release do, I’d have a hard time pinning down why anyone would fixate on the Blood Claws thing here. That situation has been in place since the Primaris were released and GW still hasn’t figured out how to work the non-Codex adherent Chapters with Primaris (or at least they haven’t told us), so discussion of it here seems like it would be off-topic, unless there’s a rumor that GW is going to address it in the Saga of the Beast?

Does sound like they’ve dropped any Pod stuff for Ragnar anyway, so no real need to speculate on what he’ll get to replace it, he’s just become the straight up Murder-Wolf.

It’s purely speculation on my part, but the reason GW struggles so hard with integrating Primaris into the non codex chapters is likely because they’re trying to release the most generic Primaris first to capture the largest number of customers. I imagine that they’ll not release any non-codex specific Primaris units until after they’ve released all the “generic” Primaris stuff they have planned. Then maybe we’ll see unique Primaris units released for the non-codex chapters.

The problem this creates is precisely what we’re describing here. Generic Primaris doesn’t really fit well into the non-codex lore.

If I were able to change the official rules, I'd change the following:

I would add a Primaris Wolf Guard unit, under the Elites battlefield role. It would have the Wolf Guard keyword and be able to take any weapon from the Reiver, Intercessor or maaaaaybe Hellblaster weapon lists, including the Sergeant melee weapons. Any Primaris unit would also be able to take one of these.

I would remove Reivers entirely and put together a Troops unit for Wolves with heavy bolt pistols, chainswords and the Blood Claws "always charge unless there's Wolf Guard around" and "bonus attacks on charge" abilities, plus grav-chutes, grapnel launchers and up to 15-model units. Sergeant can take Intercessor melee weapons.

I would replace Wolves Intercessors with "Primaris Grey Hunters" - and they would be able to take one Hellblaster weapon for every five models, chainswords for all, one Plasma Pistol and a Wolf Standard, just like their older brothers. Pack Leader would have the normal access to Intercessor melee.

I would replace Wolves Hellblasters with "Primaris Long Fangs". I'd increase their points slightly, let them take mixed weapons and Intercessor weapons, let the Pack Leader take Intercessor melee and give them Fire Discipline.

But that's just me. I dunno what GeeDubs has planned, but this is what I'd do.

It's a catch 22. I'm with you that I would love specific primaris space wolves models. But then there will be another group that love the old-marines and will get upset if there is a like for like replacement. The path of least resistance is to do what you say and go with the "generic" stuff first. In the meantime I can use my imagination and call my intercessors grey hunters, my reivers blood claws, etc. After all this is a game of toy soldiers.

The only way I’ll start to accept Primaris into the Space Wolves is if the fluff is written in a way that makes it clear that we have taken over the production and training of said Primaris in a way consistent with the customs of the Aett.

I think moving Reivers to troops choice would be a good start.

Giving them access to alternative weapon choices from the armory would be even better.

Saying that they start out as Reivers, and get promoted to Intercessors, and then Intercessors get promoted up to some of the more specialized Primaris would make them even better still.

Giving them the ability to take Wolf Guard mixed into each pack in addition to the above changes would then make them perfect and I would no longer have any reservations at all.

Love the Space wolf fluff so this would be great t see. there are ways of doing this with the current troop choices but as were space wolves we need every model to be able to take melee wepons, the lore now says that primaris marines now outnumber the first born ones, this being said it doesn't mean that the same units cannot be taken out of the astartes codex type roles and have sw specific roles like how long fangs differ from devastators. and bringing up long fangs there has never been a time when id choose 5 lasma incinerator against my lascannon missile launch and heavy bolter mix, Long fangs with the ability to take 5 heavy wepons and a sergent and a wolfgaurd in terminator armour holding a storm shield just makes them stand way above all devastators not to mention they can nominate a unit to shoot and reroll 1's (not to mention the strategems to go with em).

If I were able to change the official rules, I'd change the following:

I would add a Primaris Wolf Guard unit, under the Elites battlefield role. It would have the Wolf Guard keyword and be able to take any weapon from the Reiver, Intercessor or maaaaaybe Hellblaster weapon lists, including the Sergeant melee weapons. Any Primaris unit would also be able to take one of these.

I would remove Reivers entirely and put together a Troops unit for Wolves with heavy bolt pistols, chainswords and the Blood Claws "always charge unless there's Wolf Guard around" and "bonus attacks on charge" abilities, plus grav-chutes, grapnel launchers and up to 15-model units. Sergeant can take Intercessor melee weapons.

I would replace Wolves Intercessors with "Primaris Grey Hunters" - and they would be able to take one Hellblaster weapon for every five models, chainswords for all, one Plasma Pistol and a Wolf Standard, just like their older brothers. Pack Leader would have the normal access to Intercessor melee.

I would replace Wolves Hellblasters with "Primaris Long Fangs". I'd increase their points slightly, let them take mixed weapons and Intercessor weapons, let the Pack Leader take Intercessor melee and give them Fire Discipline.

But that's just me. I dunno what GeeDubs has planned, but this is what I'd do.

Maybe a new set of primaris terminators I mean you could argue agggressors do that and whilst they are good, they simply do not do what my assault wolf guard terminators do.

I doubt it but Primaris Wolf Guard Pack leaders would be such a cool thing for us to get

Double Thunder Hammers in a unit on 3A models (4A if we get Veteran Intercessors) and our +1 to-Hit in the first round of melee? Yes please! :yes:

I doubt it but Primaris Wolf Guard Pack leaders would be such a cool thing for us to get

Double Thunder Hammers in a unit on 3A models (4A if we get Veteran Intercessors) and our +1 to-Hit in the first round of melee? Yes please! :yes:

Whats the point of double thunder hammers? are u wanting to make the like claws where double TH gives an extra attack? id prefer to just keep TH and SS combo

Whats the point of double thunder hammers? are u wanting to make the like claws where double TH gives an extra attack? id prefer to just keep TH and SS combo

I meant 2 THs in the unit rather than on the same model. One on the IPL and one on the WGPL. That would be 10 TH attacks in the first round of combat, hitting on 3s. Not too shabby at all.

=][=   Thank you for your patience Brothers, we've had a day to clear our heads. I know we're excited but it's important to keep on topic in order for good discussion. To that end you'll notice the new coat of paint on the thread. What this thread will NOT become however is another re-litigation of Primaris issues or other well worn territory. A fine line, but I think we can agree it's a recognizable one. Raise a cup of mjod and enjoy our time in the spotlight.   =][=

Edited by PeteySödes

I was wondering what everyone thought the prospect of ragnars berserk charge becoming our new toy for all our troops and not just a ragnar specific thing?

I could see this becoming a blood claw thing (as they already have berserk charge) and then for our special unit making a squad of Reivers / intercessors "bloodclaws" like the BA got death company

I was wondering what everyone thought the prospect of ragnars berserk charge becoming our new toy for all our troops and not just a ragnar specific thing?

Even just in assault doctrine it would be OP

As a 2/3cp strategem per unti it would be cool

15 Blood Claws with chainswords would get 77 attacks on the charge hitting on 2s

Or the 2 pack leaders would get 10 attacks with special weapons

Edited by Dark Shepherd

Even just in assault phase it would be OP

As a 2/3cp strategem per unti it would be cool

15 Blood Claws with chainswords would get 77 attacks on the charge hitting on 2s

Or the 2 pack leaders would get 10 attacks with special weapons

Yeah none of my troop choices are first born atm they aren't great point for point and id rather use my points on LF wulfen WG TWC etc lol

Im just imagining BJorn charging in with 8 attacks , Wgbl beside him with armour of russ

Edited by Sarto ripped claw

I would like to see Great Company traits instead of doctrines with special strategems for each one. That paired with a build your own Great Company would be fantastic.

Nah that would be naff, you so for 13 great companies, they never be able to make 13 equally balanced great traits and as for build your own great company there has and will only be 13, even when there were 12 they still had an empty space.

The two of you have given me an idea for an awesome strat...a unit starts to turn Wulfen midgame

Infantry only

Cant shoot any more

Extra attack, strength increases,reroll charges, advance and charge, mandatory charge

Only negative about this is wulfen only have S4 any way. And isn't that pretty similar to the lone wolf strat (except this only applies to one model)

Only negative about this is wulfen only have S4 any way. And isn't that pretty similar to the lone wolf strat (except this only applies to one model)

I hope you've not been playing them like this, Wulfen are S5

OMG I feel like an idiot now, although they always seem to win anyway but I run 7 of them 3 * Frost claws 2 * Frost Axe and 2 * Thunder hammer and storm shield

I would like to see Great Company traits instead of doctrines with special strategems for each one. That paired with a build your own Great Company would be fantastic.

They did something kinda like that with the Thousand Sons so it is not out of the question. However I wouldn't call it an unmitigated success as the consensus is that only 3 of the 9 Cults are really competitive so the usual guff about internal balance applies.