Runic Awakening: Speculation

Dark Shepherd

Yea I’d far prefer an internally balanced codex where all the units can work vs. the must includes. If we can actually use all our units IMO we’re already more than halfway to fielding the various great companies. Especially if you consider the current detachment rules the more robust versions of what we’ve had in previous editions.

Edited by PeteySödes

The two of you have given me an idea for an awesome strat...a unit starts to turn Wulfen midgame

Infantry only

Cant shoot any more

Extra attack, strength increases,reroll charges, advance and charge, mandatory charge

Only negative about this is wulfen only have S4 any way. And isn't that pretty similar to the lone wolf strat (except this only applies to one model)

Little bit similar but Lone Wolf makes it a character and RR all failed hits and wounds. You can playbit on a longfang if you want

This is more about a unit succumbing to the canis helix than one guy avenging his packmates.

It might have to be 3 cp and maybe a limit size of 5 in the unit, or else we're back to supercharging Blood Claw bombs

This makes me so sad, guess we're codex compliant now?

How does that one thing automatically make the Wolves Codex-compliant?

I'm sad because I was really hoping for a bit more creativity out of the GW rules writes, but hope really is the first step toward disappointment, it seems. The faster GW gets all the generic Primaris out, the better - this is getting old. The Wolves could have at least gotten a little throwing axes upgrade pack for the Incursors or something, even if it didn't change any of the rules for the unit (and truthfully, it really shouldn't, as a throwing bladed weapon for a Space Marine is likely identical to any other, no need to give them "bespoke" stat changes for no reason).

I’m torn about splitting the box. The value is in favor of the orks. Although the orks would make good conversion pieces to add to my converted GSC army. It’s all ad mech right now but Orks would make okay conversion flesh too. Hmmmm....

I’m excited for doctrines. We don’t exactly know what they’re doing with them. But for other chapters small deviations made it very fluffy. Hopefully they preview our super doctrine this week!

The SW value is 50 GBP without box discount. Ghaz alone will cost that much I think, plus 20 for Boyz and 38 for big mek for a total of ~108 GBP. So 158 with no discount, 110 with discount maybe? Then you need to factor in 2 books...

If I split it I would pay more than 1/3 the box price, if there were 2 books.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

The SW value is 50 GBP without box discount. Ghaz alone will cost that much I think, plus 20 for Boyz and 38 for big mek for a total of ~108 GBP. So 258 with no discount, 110 with discount maybe? Then you need to factor in 2 books...

Saga of the Beast wont be in the box though? Itll be separate?

Who gets the campaign book in the box is the tricky one

The SW value is 50 GBP without box discount. Ghaz alone will cost that much I think, plus 20 for Boyz and 38 for big mek for a total of ~108 GBP. So 258 with no discount, 110 with discount maybe? Then you need to factor in 2 books...

Saga of the Beast wont be in the box though? Itll be separate?

Who gets the campaign book in the box is the tricky one

No PA books, I meant 2 books, as in the campaign book and the mini-rules.

lets hope they ll do us justice this time ruleswise ...as for the box there is too much tax for ragnar IMO

PS: cant wait for wolves preview ...

Really hope our big preview is tomorrow not Wednesday or Thursday

Am hoping it is as they did Ghaz's full datasheet today

preview up.

video confirms doctrines

On the one hand I am disappointed we are not getting something more characterful but on the other, at least we won't be left behind the curve. BAs did pretty well out of their PA book. If we come out as well, I will be pretty satisfied.

I'm sad because I was really hoping for a bit more creativity out of the GW rules writes, but hope really is the first step toward disappointment, it seems. The faster GW gets all the generic Primaris out, the better - this is getting old. The Wolves could have at least gotten a little throwing axes upgrade pack for the Incursors or something, even if it didn't change any of the rules for the unit (and truthfully, it really shouldn't, as a throwing bladed weapon for a Space Marine is likely identical to any other, no need to give them "bespoke" stat changes for no reason).

Because unless my memory fails me Doctrines were bonuses for following the Codex Astartes "devastate, tactical advance, assault" the way war is supposed to be fought 

Things we are very likely to get based on what the other non codex marines got (from marine codex)

Datasheets for Primaris units out since our codex came out and new datasheets for Wolf Priests to include doctrines

One unique litany?

Doctrines plus our unique doctrine bonus

Maybe not new but definitely tidied up/redone warlord traits

Probably not a new set of exclusive psychic powers but maybe some changes

Strats, the good ones

Duty Eternal: 1cp halves damage for a phase on a dread, handy for Bjorn or shield dread

Hero of the Chapter: 1cp second character gets Warlord trait

Transhuman physiology: 2cp wound rolls of 1 to 3 always fail, last one phase, doesnt apply to vehicles

Vengeance of the machine spirit: 2cp landraider, repulsor, or big flyer auto explodes. Nasty

Gene wrought might: 1cp roll of 6 to hit autowounds in melee for primaris unit

Generic relics:

5++

rr any charge dice 3' aura

+1 damage on a weapon

Given weve such good named characters and 2 good relics already not sure how many we get to actually use

Edited by Dark Shepherd

Because unless my memory fails me Doctrines were bonuses for following the Codex Astartes "devastate, tactical advance, assault" the way war is supposed to be fought

The doctrines are supposed to show how space marines wage war. Space wolves don't follow the codex as far as overall numbers, training, and organization are concerned. That said they still use mostly the same equipment and their tactics are gonna to be similar. It makes sense for them to maximize those traits in the same order.

I will be disappointed when GW gives us copy-paste doctrines to follow.

I’m still hopeful that we get unique rules that match the lore where Russ took Girlyman’s codex and gave it to his chapter to be used as toilet paper, instead choosing to wage war the Fenrisian way.

I will be disappointed when GW gives us copy-paste doctrines to follow.

I’m still hopeful that we get unique rules that match the lore where Russ took Girlyman’s codex and gave it to his chapter to be used as toilet paper, instead choosing to wage war the Fenrisian way.

How do they wage war differently? Do long fangs not go after priority targets to cover the advance, do grey hunters not advance to secure objectives, and do blood claws not seek glory by assaulting things?

With the equipment marines have the combat doctrines make alot sense whether you follow the codex or not. We aren't an army of space wizards who can shroud themselves and then go all in on mind bullets.

The doctrines are supposed to show how space marines wage war. Space wolves don't follow the codex as far as overall numbers, training, and organization are concerned. That said they still use mostly the same equipment and their tactics are gonna to be similar. It makes sense for them to maximize those traits in the same order.

How do they wage war differently? Do long fangs not go after priority targets to cover the advance, do grey hunters not advance to secure objectives, and do blood claws not seek glory by assaulting things?

With the equipment marines have the combat doctrines make alot sense whether you follow the codex or not. We aren't an army of space wizards who can shroud themselves and then go all in on mind bullets.

The way it’s different is that the lore specifically says that we don follow the doctrines of the codex astartes

Jorim hits it exactly - even though we have different squad names and make ups, the basic usage of the squads is approximately the same - that doesn't make a Chapter Codex-compliant. There are many things that make the Space Wolves not Codex-compliant, and waging war in a way that makes sense doesn't.

Now, the Doctrine explanation in the C:SM does say that it's following the Codex, but as soon as we get to Blood of Baal (which really wasn't that long after), we see that the comment about the Codex is already gone - "When the Adeptus Astartes fight alongside their battle-brothers they employ a strict set of combat doctrines.". Once we get to Ritual of the Damned, there's not even a fluff comment behind it at all. So given this altering stance, I think we'd be safe to say that it doesn't really have anything to do with the Codex, and has more to do with (as Jorim said) just being how Space Marines fight.

I'm interested to see what they mean by "new/refined and expanded datasheets". Hopefully, this is a indicator to Wolf Guard possibilities for Primaris. 

I, however, cant help but think we got shafted a bit on what they have teased so far. The Orks in the box rules wise (and price) outweigh the Space Wolves featured quite heavily. And from the description, it would seem the orks received more flavor and expansions rules-wise than we did. 

Of course we have yet to confirm this and hopefully the next teaser will clear that up a bit. It would be nice to know for sure that we're equally showcased in this part of Psychic Awakening.

Edited by Watcher