Inquisition in Nov WD

Charlo

I could see both ways for acolytes being viable. Just get a bunch on the board and keep them cheap... helps with the "seize for interrogation" stratagem, fill in the random transports space you have left over.

Or.

Give some of them decent weaponry (SB's being a good middle ground?) and leverage them in key transports (counter assault, objective grab, w/e). Also mad about the las guns since I have a few themed scions for storm troopers :(

I could see benefits to acolyte characters as an extra layer of protection for an inquisitor, especially if giving him/her additional powers and what not from the warlord trait.

I like the Ordo xenos stuff as it makes the inquisitors slightly better fighters (+2 to wound relic, -1 to hit, can't target unless closest unit psychic power, etc.), but the Ordo Malleus combos are looking REALLY strong. I definitely may have to get a land raider for my inquisitor force soon. And finish up some more Orlock gang acolytes :)

As I said before... I get the feeling that this is the last 'current' published datasheet they will get.... next stop is legends so GW doesnt get the the whole 'faction squated' scenario again.....

we may see individual Inquisitors with 40K rules appear as special characters with <ORDO> Keyword but with DW /GK /AS /AM etc keywords in the future but they will be campaign book style releases*

*This is purely personal opinion

They have a tv show coming out with the =][= as the pov. That would seem bad timing to show them the door. =][= have been a major playable part of 40k from the very beginning. Rouge Trader hard back. They have not been updated like the Marines or elder but no way this is the last round up. I hope.
Just An FYI, relevant because of the above quote...

Just as one of the most successful video games based on the old Warhammer Fantasy Battles world was completing development and being released... GW squatted the entire Fantasy Battles universe.

I don't think any loaned out IP licenses provide protection like this... GW will do whatever they want to do.

Touche..

Squatted is now a verb? Nice.

I think that acolytes should be taken as characters, with either plasma or meltas. They’ll be somebody to accompany your inquisitor as he or she slings spells and instills confidence in your imperial forces. I don’t think you should field them in targetable units. A space monkey and a couple of hardened, albeit plainly human, operatives to accompany my =][= are greatly anticipated. I’m super happy for this supplement.

Haha yep, codex: squats here we come.

Maybe we will finally get a codex and the return of proper inquisitorial storm troopers.

Maybe an inquisitorial thunderhawk gunship in plastic.

I honestly don't know anything anymore.

Edited by duz_
Removed unrelated content and excessive quotes

I think that acolytes should be taken as characters, with either plasma or meltas. They’ll be somebody to accompany your inquisitor as he or she slings spells and instills confidence in your imperial forces. I don’t think you should field them in targetable units. A space monkey and a couple of hardened, albeit plainly human, operatives to accompany my =][= are greatly anticipated. I’m super happy for this supplement.

I was thinking about the opposite. Runnings 2 full squads of acolytes and a monkey with hector rex. 2 casting 3 deny 5W with 2+/3++ and another 12 2+ saves. Or a minoris inquisitor with 3 full squads of plasmas. Overcharge all you like on characters.

I has a question about eisenhorn. Do you need to pay for the daemonhost

Yeah, agree that the corvus is a beautiful model. It does only have imperium, Astartes and deathwatch keywords. No ordo or inquisition.

I could be wrong but it says Imperium and then the Inquisitor can get into any Imperium transport so it should be allowed. It just says Terminator Inquisitors must embark on vehicles that they are allowed to be on.

Why are acolytes more expensive guardsmen? I would expect them to have at least the same stats as scions.

Seems very odd for an inquisitor to surround themselves with the worst thing in the game lol

I hope they reconsider the acolytes stat line considering the lore and also the fact that they removed all other interesting options from the retinue, servitors, crusaders, assassins, etc..

How everyone like the book? Overall, from looking at this from a purely flavor prospective. It’s a solid win*. It might be not the next l33t thing. But overall, the rules are solid and the units are solid. Acolytes can be functional bodyblockers now that you can take them in squads of 1 for character given most body blocking = melee. Like my “Inquistion” would be like 2 1 Man Acolyte, 1 6 Man, 0-1 Jokero, 0-2 Daemonhosts and an Inquistor.

*Only thing found wanting is inability to recruit something like Kroot, Kabalites or Corsairs, or otherwise.

This is way better than what we had, so I'm content. I do wish it could have gone further.

Seeking some clarification. If I'm reading properly, Inquisitorial Detachments will still mess with Sacred Rights [sisters] and Doctrines- anything that requires an army to be mono. Not only that, Inquisitorial Detachments may not even be immune to Battle Brothers, as the rule that provides that immunity comes in the text block that describes how Inquisitors function when they occupy other Imperial Detachments. And finally, as mentioned above, the one Inquisitor per Inquisition Detachment rule means that we can only field Inquisition Vanguards. While we could field a lot of Vanguards, a] some people still believe that the ridiculous limit of three detachments is a rule and not merely a recommendation and b] even if we found an opponent that was okay with it, we could never keep up in the CP race against a faction that has access to brigades and battalions.

As for using an Inquisitor as a part of another Imperial Detachment, the wording leaves some ambiguity about whether you can attach Inquisitors to more than one detachment. I think you can, as long as it's only one Inquisitor per Detachment.

I hope so, because there's a story trigger in my Campaign to bring Karamazov and another to bring Greyfax. I have two other Hereticus Inquisitors with Inferno Pistols as well, and one would likely accompany each of the named heroes. Karamzov would attach to my Penitent Legion, which contains only Priests, Arcoflagellants, Penitent Engines and Repentia. Greyfax would attach to my Sisters Command Battalion. The other two Inquisitors could work with smaller detachments.

But I'd like to see them fix the integration a little bit more, particularly with Chambers Militant. 

I think every Ordo should have the keyword of its Chamber Militant, and every Chamber Militant should have its Ordo's Keyword. If it's too OP, I'd be willing to pay CP up front. Alternately, GW could just craft a Chamber Militant rule. Inquisition detachments should be able to join armies of their Orders militant AND Inquisitors should be able to join allied detachments. 

In a similar vein, does the Inquisitor's Transport affect Battle Brothers?

If I have a Sisters army, and I include an Inquisitor which in and of himself does not break Battle Brothers, however if I want to give him a Razorback transport, does the Adeptus Astartes keyword on the Transport violate Battle Brothers?

I finally got a chance to read the Inquisitor article today. I’ll tell you what I’m really looking forward to.... putting one in my Custodes as I’m tired of assassins.

Specifically I just love Grey Fax’s character. I have since we met her in the Guilliman returns fiction. I love her self loathing yet unquestionable devotion to the Emperor.

She’ll be in my next games for sure. Plus her WL trait is awesome. I can’t wait to trap Tau! Man I hate Tau.... I may call her my fish trap. ;)

I'm still struggling with this :ermm:

So, if I wanted to include a single Inquisitor in a Deathwatch battalion, they could be included without taking up a slot. What does that mean?

Would I still have to field 2 Deathwatch HQ units AND the Inquisitor?

Or

A single Deathwatch HQ choice and the Inquisitor would take up the second mandatory HQ slot?

I'm still struggling with this :ermm:

So, if I wanted to include a single Inquisitor in a Deathwatch battalion, they could be included without taking up a slot. What does that mean?

Would I still have to field 2 Deathwatch HQ units AND the Inquisitor?

Or

A single Deathwatch HQ choice and the Inquisitor would take up the second mandatory HQ slot?

Bascially although the Inq is a HQ character they dont count for filling the box in the formation.

So a battalion has 3 HQ slots of which 2 have to be filed... If you take 1 DW HQ & an Inq you only fill one slot.. if you take 3 DW HQs & an INQ you are only using the 3 formation slots

Or to put it another way.. each box in the formation diagrams (pg 243 & 244) is also called a slot, and can only be filled once.  However if a unit is slotless then you can add it in even if there is no box /all the boxes are filled.

HOWEVER WARNING - you cant add slotless units to an Aux formation!

CA 2018 faq pg 2

Q: Do units that do not ‘take up slots in a Detachment’ (e.g. Death Cult Assassins, via their Ecclesiarchy Battle Conclave ability) allow you to exceed the maximum number of allowed slots for a Detachment? For example, a Patrol Detachment only allows for two Elites units. Can I exceed that by including a third unit with a similar ability?

A: Yes, unless the Detachment is an Auxiliary Support Detachment: their Restriction allowing only a single unit is not bypassed by such units.

Edited by Slasher956

nope... they do not effect any mono list rules requirements

edit: relavant part of the 2nd bullet point under 'authority of the Inquisition' rule

The INQUISITOR unit does not prevent other units in your army benefiting from Detachment abilities <snip> and does not prevent abilities that require every model in your army to have that ability

emphasis by me..

Edited by Slasher956