Inquisition in Nov WD

Charlo

I has a question about eisenhorn. Do you need to pay for the daemonhost

Yes, the core rule book talks about it in the matched play section actually. I had to look it up myself the other day when I noticed they removed that little bit from his ability in the box data sheet.

This is way better than what we had, so I'm content. I do wish it could have gone further.

Seeking some clarification. If I'm reading properly, Inquisitorial Detachments will still mess with Sacred Rights [sisters] and Doctrines- anything that requires an army to be mono. Not only that, Inquisitorial Detachments may not even be immune to Battle Brothers, as the rule that provides that immunity comes in the text block that describes how Inquisitors function when they occupy other Imperial Detachments. And finally, as mentioned above, the one Inquisitor per Inquisition Detachment rule means that we can only field Inquisition Vanguards. While we could field a lot of Vanguards, a] some people still believe that the ridiculous limit of three detachments is a rule and not merely a recommendation and b] even if we found an opponent that was okay with it, we could never keep up in the CP race against a faction that has access to brigades and battalions.

As for using an Inquisitor as a part of another Imperial Detachment, the wording leaves some ambiguity about whether you can attach Inquisitors to more than one detachment. I think you can, as long as it's only one Inquisitor per Detachment.

Yes you can take an inquisitor in any imperial detachment and not interfere with mono codex/battleforged abilities.

Yes you can take as many inquistors as you have detachments, as the rule says one per detachment. Like me for example, you can run a battalion of deathwatch with an inquisitor and an inquistor vanguard detachment. The excessive amounts of CPs that some factions aren't as much of a concern if you balance it out with good units on the table top, where possible. And the rule of 3 thing, im sorry to say, is on you to convey that to your opponents when you play. You're right: it is a recommendation for organized play.

I finally got a chance to read the Inquisitor article today. I’ll tell you what I’m really looking forward to.... putting one in my Custodes as I’m tired of assassins.

Specifically I just love Grey Fax’s character. I have since we met her in the Guilliman returns fiction. I love her self loathing yet unquestionable devotion to the Emperor.

She’ll be in my next games for sure. Plus her WL trait is awesome. I can’t wait to trap Tau! Man I hate Tau.... I may call her my fish trap. :wink:

She was the best choice before and she's still a really good choice. That ascertainment psychic power is going to go really well with her warlord trait. Maybe psychic pursuit as well if positioning allows and you still have acolytes nearby.

The Herectus and Malleus seem very complimentary to most imperium armies. Xenos seem better with an actual vanguard detachment. I'm thinking Inquisitor with Esoteric Lore trait, psychic veil power and the bio-corrosive relic; plasma gun and command rod. He can have 1 acolyte squad with 4 or 5 to hide them with psychic veil, a couple single acolytes and a space monkey. Toss them in a landraider or blackstar, and call it good. Either way, interesting combos.

Yes you can take an inquisitor in any imperial detachment and not interfere with mono codex/battleforged abilities.

Yes you can take as many inquistors as you have detachments, as the rule says one per detachment. Like me for example, you can run a battalion of deathwatch with an inquisitor and an inquistor vanguard detachment. The excessive amounts of CPs that some factions aren't as much of a concern if you balance it out with good units on the table top, where possible. And the rule of 3 thing, im sorry to say, is on you to convey that to your opponents when you play. You're right: it is a recommendation for organized play.

Just to clarify something out... its 1 per Inquisition detachment (bullet point 1  authority of the Inquistion rule) OR 1 in your army if you have ZERO inquistion detachments (1st sentance bullet point 2 authority of the Inquistion rule)

So the only way to have more than 1 inquisitor is to have more than 1 inquisition detachment :(

My local GW had sold out of White Dwarf - I'm sure this is down to the Inquisition part :wink: I've ordered mine in. It's good to get an update even if a lot still needs to be done (such as a power armour option), but I'm hoping that this will come when the Inquisition gets a proper release.

Do we think this will be included in the 2019 CA, or should I make sure I get a copy of the WD to be able to run this? 

Just to clarify something out... its 1 per Inquisition detachment (bullet point 1  authority of the Inquistion rule) OR 1 in your army if you have ZERO inquistion detachments (1st sentance bullet point 2 authority of the Inquistion rule)

So the only way to have more than 1 inquisitor is to have more than 1 inquisition detachment :sad.:

Dang, I overlooked that. Good catch. More acolytes it is then.

Dang, I overlooked that. Good catch. More acolytes it is then.

you know whats also a 'ehh' moment.... Inquisitoral mandate strategem is a one use only... so the only way to get 2 Inquistor WL traits is to have one AS your actual warlord :(

Not sure if you guys are aware, so just in case... I bought my copy as a digital. I will probably only use it for these rules to be honest. (and I want to read the Indomitus crusade stuff.)

Still can't wait to try Greyfax. I painted her up about a year ago, but rarely used her once she couldn't be fielded with Assassins in a viable way. 

I think most will default to the generic Inquisitor, but for my Custodes I feel lucky that I chose her to paint up for these reasons:

- Warlord trait vs. a lot of shooty armies: I love the 4+, you can't retreat ability. For 1 Cp I can add that to my normal WL traits. Unfortunately I can't take the additional relic as well since she's a named character.

- Denial +1 with 2 denies... love that idea on my Custodes since it's usually a real problem. 

- Her ability to focus an enemy psyker, and since she's Ordo Hereticus she's rerolling all vs. those enemies which again... major issue for custodes. Her special little cool crossbow turns into 3 damage vs them (psykers) as well making her a mini sniper kit. 

The Custodes welcome back the lady from Trazyn's toy box... candle hat and all!

I give the White Dwarf =][= Dex, a 8 out of 10. It has done a great job of not messing up what was all ready there, yet fell a bit short.

The Good. =][= are cheaper from what I can tell and use. They kept units they don't have current models for, like the OM Terminator. Competitive relics, stratagems, Warlord traits, Psychic powers. The ability to join detachments for "free". Not messing up the detachment they join with their outsiders ways. In these, a way to farm CP.

The Bad. No Arbites. Not enough wargear options for my taste. Acloyts. No troops.

The Ugly. The lingering feeling of future squatting. Squatardation? Sqattifying?

All told, a big win for =][=.

Found a hopefully soon to be FAQd mistake.

Coteaz can cast 2, but his rule states he knows smite and ONE psychic power from the Telethesia tree. His WT will be a must as it also adds a second power until an FAQ.

I ran Eisenhorn with my DW this past weekend in a friendly game (using points and matched rules). Terror ignore overwatch is always useful. The -1 to hit is nice, although I’m now realizing I completely forgot to tell my opponent. And the free CP if you beat LD is nice in an army that doesn’t use a recoup WT or relic. His daemon host is a nice counter charge unit I found, and worth the 25 points.

I did not use his WT as I think that’s not really worth the cp. I wish they’d given him the Ordo Xeno one.

So the only way to have more than 1 inquisitor is to have more than 1 inquisition detachment :sad.:

I'm prepared to accept that interpretation, but it isn't as simple as it sounds. The phrase " 1 in your army" does not appear anywhere in the article. Here is the exact text of the sentence you quote:

"If your army does not include any Inquisition Detachments, one Inquisitor Unit may be included in any other detachment without taking up a slot..."

I believe the purpose of the word "one" in front of Inquisitor is there to prevent more than one Inquisitor from landing in a single detachment, rather than meaning that only one other detachment may include a single Inquisitor Unit. As in: "Get your Inquisitors while they're hot- any detachment can take one!"

Like I said, I'm prepared to accept the more restrictive interpretation; you can argue that Inquisitors tend to act as individuals rather than work in groups, but there are no limitations on how many inquisitors can be fielded when Inquisition detachments are thrown into the mix.

Also, it doesn't answer what is arguably the more important question: does an Inquisition detachment mess up the battle forged, chapter tactic, doctrine stuff?

In any case, they'll probably tighten it up when they finally release the Agents Dex. Might also get a FAQ, or PA update.

Coteaz can cast 2, but his rule states he knows smite and ONE psychic power from the Telethesia tree. His WT will be a must as it also adds a second power until an FAQ.

There is no mistake though.
My bad then. I don’t have his index rules. Usually when a character can cast 2 powers they get to know 2 powers from their tree plus smite. I figured it was just a cut and paste error.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Mr4Minutes

There is no mistake though.
My bad then. I don’t have his index rules. Usually when a character can cast 2 powers they get to know 2 powers from their tree plus smite. I figured it was just a cut and paste error.

Edit: spelling

No, that's the same wording he had before. Simply means he can always cast his chosen power as well as Smite. :)

The battle forged /chapter tactics is clear.... no the INQ doesnt mess it up/ prevent you from having it...

On the number of INQs you can take... yeah I hadn't read it that way but thats because the rule further down talks about how that unit doesnt affect the rest of the army giving the impression that its a 1 time addition..... so like you said it'll require an FAQ..

Edited by duz_
Removed excessive quotes

When I read it, it seems to state you can take one Inquisitor per Detachment. Giving the way they worded it, I don't see how you could keep someone from taking 1 per detachment without an FAQ. I'm not rules lawyering here. I never considered they intended to limit it to one per army until I saw this post. Edited by duz_
Removed excessive quotes

The rules allow me to paint up my old Gideon Lorr model and use him in an army somehow, with either a plasma pistol or a plasmagun.

GideonLorr.jpg

Now I just have to figure out where I put that model.

And he's not going to be "Gideon Lorr" - I might name him Kane Solomon. :ph34r.: Or maybe something a little less obvious. :wink:

I don't see any "squattifying" in the Inquisition's future. This article is meant to preserve them as a viable option until GW can do them justice in some codex.

The rules allow me to paint up my old Gideon Lorr model and use him in an army somehow, with either a plasma pistol or a plasmagun.

Dude I'm with you on the plasma gun. If you can get quarry to work against the right opponent, you get that free reroll. I'm doing that on my ranger/scion kitbashed inquistor. I'm going with the xenos CP warlord trait and bio-corrosives with a command rod. We'll see how it goes in game. Now I just need to grab another one or two so I can work on some Malleus combos.

Get that guy painted up and let's see some pics!

I really want to make an all Inquisition army lol. I'm going to eventually but right now I'll finish my DW but I really love the Inquisition, it's super cool.

I'm going to be painting up an aquila strongpoint to accomplish this. The new Authority of the Inquisition really killed all of my other plans.