Siege of Terra - Saturnine by Dan Abnett

Shovellovin

Spoiler is about character deaths so don't click if you don't want to know anything about who dies in the book.

Reading other site spoilers and it seems Abnett has killed almost every single Sons character not named Abaddon....KIbre, Aximand, Marr, Tormageddon all dead
Edited by Fedor

Reading other site spoilers and it seems Abnett has killed almost every single Sons character not named Abaddon....KIbre, Aximand, Marr, Tormageddon all dead

Who killed Little Horus and Marr?

Loken. He killed Tormageddon too.

Really? In Vengeful Spirit Loken and another guy couldn't beat Aximand. Did he turn into Cerberus again?

Really? In Vengeful Spirit Loken and another guy couldn't beat Aximand. Did he turn into Cerberus again?

No - Aximand is cornered while trying to escape, flips out at the sight of Loken, and the outcome is never in doubt. He dies in gruesome fashion without much of a fight. It certainly isn't the elegantly lethal Aximand of Solar War, although Loken being his kryptonite is obviously a long-running narrative theme, and is a very stark contrast with Loken's kill of Tormageddon, which is closer and much more of an "edge of your seat" moment.

Edited by Marshal Loss

At the end of this book, how far is it from the last day when Horus drops the shields?

Assuming they are staying with the 55-day siege.

The plot of Lost and the Damned/First Wall is longer than 55 days Edited by Marshal Rohr

Why? Siege started in 13 February and ended in 2 October. 120.014.M31 - 757.014.M31

With the buzzsaw the 16th ran into, I'm wondering if it's just going to be Ezekyle, Sargeant Redshirt, and Battle-Brother Steve in the last book.

Yeah I think this is an error. Doesn't really square.

A great many things don't square with several of the books in the last few years. James Swallow made some horrible canon errors in Lanterns Light. The editors have their share of mistakes as well.

Yeah, this isn't a disaster but the ways suggested to make it 'work' are reaches and would only result in it making sense on a technical, unsatisfying level. It's sloppiness, really. Like Maximus Kane being simultaneously inducted as an aspirant into the Marines Exemplar and a 1500 year old heresy veteran, or Jubal Khan being both interestingly Terran and casually mentioned as Chogorian.  

Most of what I've heard about Saturnine is good and I'm generally fine with an Elder Scrolls-style approach to canon, all fraught with historical ambiguity, but to be honest the example of 

Kibre
doesn't seem like an interesting or productive mixup that fires the imagination, more like a basic goof. Maybe someone will come along and do something cool with it, like Wraight did in The Regent's Shadow with the case of the Minotaurs' fortress-monastery, but I doubt it. Edited by Sandlemad

From the spoilers i've read today, i get the feeling one mood Dan was going for this with this book is a sort of anti-Empire Strikes Back thing from the loyalist perspective. A lot of little personal victories and a midway high point for them before things start to get really bad over the next few books.

Imperials get minor victories all the time. This is the formative, crippling, climax of the Imperium, and is slow rot and decay forever after.

Everyone without plot armour, aka a Model in 40K, can and probably should if not croak, be maimed and broken.

That's what I signed up for.

We've heard so much about all the authors/editing meetings and briefings that took place. Surely they shared what characters were gonna be killed off. ADB could've piped in with "sorry he's actually still alive in m41?"

Which is why I'm inclined to believe that there is something going on here, or at the very least it's a mutual goof. Abnett addresses the sheer amount of correspondence and cross-checking in the afterword - there apparently exists a 100+ page Q&A 'bible'.

We've heard so much about all the authors/editing meetings and briefings that took place. Surely they shared what characters were gonna be killed off. ADB could've piped in with "sorry he's actually still alive in m41?"

That just reminded me of the video ADB did for the Siege series on the WH Youtube channel. What he says from around 1:30 to 2:30 is interesting.

I think the only thing we can do it wait until all of the SoT books have come out, as something that may appear to be out of place in one of the books already out may be addressed in one of the later books. For instance, I'm still holding out hope that Maximus Thane is killed at some point in the Siege, and replaced with a certain Oriax Dantalion.

...and the "Thane" in the era of the Beast would not be Dantalion, right? Some other marine who assumed the name down the line, yeah? "Maximus Thane" is like "Archamus"?

I can't imagine a 1,500 veteran who served honourably during the Siege not having tremendous, if not legendary, status in his chapter.

On Aximand:

I think much of Vengeful Spirit, like Wolfsbane, was a rather pointless exercise and Loken's unceremonious but vicious offing of Aximand is more consistent with what Dan has been trying to set up since Little Horus. Vengeful Spirit kinda takes away from (rather than adds to) it

About Kibre

I think it's rather premature to say whether this was planned or a goof. If it's a goof...yeah, dead/alive Kibre would be more egregious than Terran/Chogorian Jubal or young/ancient Maximus Thane

Why? Siege started in 13 February and ended in 2 October. 120.014.M31 - 757.014.M31

With the buzzsaw the 16th ran into, I'm wondering if it's just going to be Ezekyle, Sargeant Redshirt, and Battle-Brother Steve in the last book.

Well the Sons were supposed to be torn apart by the Siege...

And I suppose that's one way to do it.

I'm a little disappointed with

Horus Aximand's overall arc

Good development up to Galaxy in Flames, leading to the blip with the short where he's fighting the Shattered Legions, then going back on track with Vengeful Spirit. Oh well!

I can't imagine a 1,500 veteran who served honourably during the Siege not having tremendous, if not legendary, status in his chapter.

Well, Fafnir Rann got his own Chapter only 1000 years after the Heresy.

If somebody could list all Titan Legions mentioned in Saturnine, I would be grateful.