Spacecow

I don't see many situations where its worth having it over an extra few gaunts. Unless you are really packing in the troops and need to get every last mini into combat but when you are limited in how many links you can use per turn this ones definately skippable. Would need a rewording to not need to be closest unit or such me thinks. Tyrant has enough to do anyway and hard to keep it's points down. Definately the weakest link.

probably more importantly on this unit is artifacts... voidcrown anyone? im planing it on my neurothrope but ht is definitely a strong contender for it and has the potential to successfully use it. super super smite? bonuses and majorly physic secondary fairly achievable? sticking it on a walkrant with guns so he can walk to the centre and support without planning it to join front lines but taking stuff down from range and gaining points isnt a bad plan although more reason for you opponent to focus fire on it... and with an extra power... 

leviathan warlord traits now make it worth considering over adaptive phys although im probably again making my broodlord my warlord to force my opponent to decide which is the biggest threat but regardless more likely to be using a warlord trait on one of our hqs specially as we can now buy a second for a cp

what does all this mean, potentially our hive tyrant being active in every turn of the game and swapping up stuff in the army like never before. oh and we can explode it on death now too... but at a point it becomes a target your opponent cannot ignore and we cant hide/protect... maby with tyrant guard... 

Edited by Brother nathan

• 6 months later...

thought id go trough these and bump them over the weeks to keep the board active, (admin any issue with this let me know)

anyway hive tyrants have always been a nid staple of nid lists and in the new dex this is no exception. they certainly have a lot less weapon loadout options and theres been a lot of complaints especially wth anyone who bought forgeworld loadout options and many whove had to rejig their tyrants but even with this they are still probably one of our best units and probably under costed. that they have been split into 2(well  3) separate units i initially disliked but it probably does help keep the options simpler and even then weve as mistakes on gws behalf. that to take multiple  you need multiple detachments is a good call gong by the lists i see takeing 3 detachments now. with the comming updates id say theat wil be reduced especially in competative play. anyway bout it...

easily the best allround unit. able to partake well in all rounds. and has better defensive stats than ever. and warlord traits that actually benefit it. still has one of the weakest imperatives but you cannot have it all. 

anyway experiences and such. iv ran mine only once sofar on foot wth lw and bs and shardgullet and i was not disappointed. rather than just weakening stuff like it used to do the shardgullet can relatively reliably kill tanks and such tough units. hitting on 2s and wounding on 3s or better more often than not you will be smashing things for 10 wounds. nd its combat potential isnt to be sneezed at either. mine got a round of fire in its face and a dreadnaught charge and only took 1 wound ad killed the dread. i play mine as more a midline threat to throw my opponent off and back up things where needed but it can if needed go it alone and it has plenty of stats to back it up if needed. 

iv not brought mine out to play yet but a flyrant with reaper is a combat monster that is rightly feared atm and seems to be dong a round in competitive builds. im somewhat expecting it to get toned down somehow or made prime only. 

regardless til there is a points increase i cannot see any nid list not having one of the variants at least. i prefer taking lots of different units  anyway so intend to only ever take one honestly expecting it to get increased 40-50 pints in the next update...