Back to Badab: A Badab War Community Log - Kill Team Edition

Dosjetka

Welp here it goes. Decided to take on a little lesser known chapter or at least from my searches of a less represented Adeptus Astartes force.

I, Captain_Krash, do swear to complete a Kill Team consisting of 10 Fire Angels who are committed to the Loyalist cause. The deadline for this will be July 11th in the year 2020 and I shall do the utmost best to not fail my brothers- and sisters-in-arms. 

Let the cleansing of the Maelstrom begin.

May the Blessed God Emperor forgive my enemies, for I will not. 

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

Started progress on a test model. I have never in my life tackled a white and blue scheme, let alone a quartered one. I know this is a very rough start, and the primer coat underneath is pretty trash and ruined the paintwork but... hell, had to give it a shot. No lore yet, he'll get lore when he's done.

https://imgur.com/cYNgZU4

Also I can't figure out how to embed photos without them being ridiculously huge.

So this project has me more excited than I realised. I can’t stop. I picked up another box of the easy build Intercessors yesterday and put together another 2 members of Squad Apion, I still have the 3rd to build but the back of his torso flew off the sprue and is lost in the warp anomaly that is the hobby cave somewhere for now haha.

Squad Apion

*snip*

I had a look back into my archives and found a discussion with 1000Heathens (who now goes by the name Hyaenidae, a fact I only learned when I looked back my PMs :biggrin.:) back in 2013, he had an awesome Astral Claws project as well as an incredible Marines Malevolent army. Both these armies have crossed paths with the Star Phantoms either during the Macharian Heresy or obviously Badab so I had been trying to mirror some of the fluff he had made about his Claws, basically showing engagements from the Phantoms point of view. It’s irrelevant now but it has given me a decent start point to work from with my own fluff.

Here’s a look at the squad so far. Still a lot of cleanup to go.

*snip*

I messed about with trying to file the legs down to mimic mk6 armour on this guy and I’m actually pretty happy with the result. It needs a bit more work but I think it should look ok.

I also made a sort of proof of concept build for Zhrukal Androcles, Capt of the 9th Devastator company. I wanted his armour to look beefier so used the Aggressor to try and mimic the heavier armoured look the current Devastator kits come with. His chest was just a quick attempt to try a mk7 look. Again a lot of clean up needed but any c&c welcome.

*snip*

I also want to add that in building these with no intention of ever using them in a game at this point in time so These may not be strictly game legal. This is more a rule of cool project for me. :thumbsup:

Marshal Rohr, thank you, I wasn’t sure to begin with but I’m really liking how they look now. :thumbsup:

Naryn, thanks, once I get a little more used to working with the Primaris models I fully intend to resurrect that squad in true scale form. I’ve only messed about with the easy build models so far but I will be buying a box of the multi part models further down the line. I have plans for an updated Chaplain as well.

Fantastic start, Biohazard, and I'm glad the project has you hooked. :devil:

Filing down the knees for some pseudo-Mk.VI is a great idea! Likewise, your proof-of-concept for Androcles looks solid: the beefier armour suits him well. The only thing I'm not keen on is the helmet crest but that's a personal thing so if you're happy with it, go for it!

Whew, this is picking up pace fast!

Which Green would you fine people suggest as base colour for the Mantis Warriors?

Aye, it is! Putting my own lack of time and effort to shame! :sweat:

A good base, in my opinion, would be the Death Guard Green spray paint if you're going for a more desaturated green. If you'd like something more saturated, I'd recommend either going with Straken or Elysian Green, or perhaps even Ogryn Camo.

Welp here it goes. Decided to take on a little lesser known chapter or at least from my searches of a less represented Adeptus Astartes force.

I, Captain_Krash, do swear to complete a Kill Team consisting of 10 Fire Angels who are committed to the Loyalist cause. The deadline for this will be April 11th in the year 2020 and I shall do the utmost best to not fail my brothers- and sisters-in-arms. 

Let the cleansing of the Maelstrom begin.

May the Blessed God Emperor forgive my enemies, for I will not. 

Krash

Welcome to the community log, CK! I've always liked the Fire Angels' lore and colour scheme so I'm looking forward to seeing your spin on them. :)

Started progress on a test model. I have never in my life tackled a white and blue scheme, let alone a quartered one. I know this is a very rough start, and the primer coat underneath is pretty trash and ruined the paintwork but... hell, had to give it a shot. No lore yet, he'll get lore when he's done.

https://imgur.com/cYNgZU4

Also I can't figure out how to embed photos without them being ridiculously huge.

Well, I see blue and I see white, so that's a good a start as you could wish for in my view. :P

Jokes aside, looks like you're off to a good start. It always looks a bit iffy until you start the first edge highlights in my experience, so keep on going and you'll get to a result you'll be happy with. :tu:

Re: the photos, you either need to upload them to the B&C's gallery which then allows you to resize them before posting them or you need to resize them using some software before uploading them to Imgur.

Which Green would you fine people suggest as base colour for the Mantis Warriors?

I've always used Elysian Green with a liberal wash of Seraphim Sepia, but looking at the new Contrast paints I bet some good results could be had from those. I plan on doing some testers soon and will report back.

Biohazard, every model you post gets me more excited! The guy with the knife and the hourglass is especially good. Is the hourglass from the Flagellant kit?

SillyDreadnought, I quite like that tester. Are you masking off the transition lines between the red and blue? When I made some Howling Griffons for a friend I got the tiny masking tape strips Tamiya makes and those were a huge help.

Keep it up guys! Nipping down to my local GW now for some more Primaris guys to get the ball rolling on my own conversions.

I most definitely am hooked. I’ve been working on a Chaos Lord conversion for my World Eaters which has been really fiddly and focused on tiny parts for so long. It’s nice to tackle a full squad and not worry about the tiny details so much. For now at least. :D

I would go for the brighter colour, it’s more fitting with the natural insect using a brighter colour to warn off predators etc. The gw app has a recipe for emerald green, I think it’s based Waagh flesh, wash Nuln oil then layered Warpstone glow, highlight Moot Green. It’s worth having a look at. :tu:

Naryn, that is from the Flagellants kit, I was actually sent those bits a few years back by The Yak when I started this project. I’ve picked up a few more bits and pieces since then so expect more to be scattered around. The Star Phantoms are know to carry bones (the sgt has a femur attached to his belt) or vials of ashes of their honoured dead with them so these bits are perfect. Can’t wait to see your new purchases.

I also forgot to post this guy earlier I picked him up with the Intercessors yesterday. The head is a place holder, I have a Deredeo head somewhere that I’ll probably use to help it look more like the FW dreads. After seeing the art work of the black Star Phantoms dread in the Badab books I had to have one. And ’true scale’ marines need a ’true scale’ Dreadnought.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Imperials/F608839B-A98C-44E4-A23C-0B50B6DA7CA0.jpg

Edited by Biohazard

I've always used Elysian Green with a liberal wash of Seraphim Sepia, but looking at the new Contrast paints I bet some good results could be had from those. I plan on doing some testers soon and will report back.

Biohazard, every model you post gets me more excited! The guy with the knife and the hourglass is especially good. Is the hourglass from the Flagellant kit?

SillyDreadnought, I quite like that tester. Are you masking off the transition lines between the red and blue? When I made some Howling Griffons for a friend I got the tiny masking tape strips Tamiya makes and those were a huge help.

Keep it up guys! Nipping down to my local GW now for some more Primaris guys to get the ball rolling on my own conversions.

Nope, freehanding it. I need the practice at doing straight lines anyway. But if I ever do a vehicle, I'll be masking it off.

Having eye-balled all sorts of halved and quartered schemes, it's not all that tricky to do so long as you keep your expectations realistic and practice. :thumbsup: Even on vehicles it isn't too much of a chore.

Keep us updated with your progress!

Edited by Dosjetka

[snip] When I made some Howling Griffons for a friend I got the tiny masking tape strips Tamiya makes and those were a huge help.

Any store that sells scrap booking supplies should also have thin strips of tape - I know the local Michael's (a crafting store) has them.

I also forgot to post this guy earlier I picked him up with the Intercessors yesterday. The head is a place holder, I have a Deredeo head somewhere that I’ll probably use to help it look more like the FW dreads. After seeing the art work of the black Star Phantoms dread in the Badab books I had to have one. And ’true scale’ marines need a ’true scale’ Dreadnought.

Looks good - though, its a good thing you aren't aiming to put your models on the table, as you might have a hard time finding an opponent who will let you use that in a kill team game. :)

I scraped together a killteam on Battlescribe, and am able to use some cultists I've already built and primed for the "scum" part of my list - they are a mix of dark vengeance cultists and genestealer cultists with a few goliath faces/masks thrown in.

YSTJfDy.jpg

There will also be 4 chaos marines, who I am going to build mostly with the tactical marines kit with some chaos marine bits thrown in.  Not sure what chapter(s) I'll be painting them as, yet.

[snip] When I made some Howling Griffons for a friend I got the tiny masking tape strips Tamiya makes and those were a huge help.

Any store that sells scrap booking supplies should also have thin strips of tape - I know the local Michael's (a crafting store) has them.

Looks good - though, its a good thing you aren't aiming to put your models on the table, as you might have a hard time finding an opponent who will let you use that in a kill team game. :smile.:

I scraped together a killteam on Battlescribe, and am able to use some cultists I've already built and primed for the "scum" part of my list - they are a mix of dark vengeance cultists and genestealer cultists with a few goliath faces/masks thrown in.

YSTJfDy.jpg

There will also be 4 chaos marines, who I am going to build mostly with the tactical marines kit with some chaos marine bits thrown in.  Not sure what chapter(s) I'll be painting them as, yet.

There are Word Bearers gearing up for a nice Crusade in this timeframe...

I'm thinking more of doing astral claws as kind of proto-red corsairs.  On the thought that they have hooked up with some pirates after being cut off from their unit and have been repairing their armour with parts scavenged from slain loyalists or obtained from a supplier within the maelstrom (those will be the outright chaos looking parts).

Anyway, I'll have to see if I can pull it off... this type of conversion and mixed paint schemes, I've never tried before.

So I had a go at painting a marine tonight. If any of you follow my World Eaters thread you’ll know this is probably the fastest I’ve ever painted a model after building it. My Knight took over 3 years to complete for example. :D

I really wanted to tackle the white armour as I didn’t want it to put me off continuing this project. It was fairly quick paint job for me so is pretty rough in places. I’m liking the colour of the armour though, I’m not sure how well it shows up in the pics but it has a cool blue tone from the Ulthuan Grey and Nighthaunt gloom shading. I will probably revisit this model and try and tidy it up later once I’ve finished the squad :tu:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Imperials/989DED70-F2BF-4F30-AB26-5BFF634F6809.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Imperials/CF0D7ABA-A050-44DB-9BCE-9EA606632B79.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Imperials/AA4C624F-F28C-413B-AAC0-B31C47EADDEF.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Imperials/F0DD9705-85BA-4441-B856-7C4822795F44.jpg

And with my original test model from 2013.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Imperials/D3073DE1-88E4-4AED-87B7-617757CB7BE8.jpg

*EDIT* I should add that his bolter and the accessories hanging on his belt only have basecoats and maybe a wash on. I was focusing more on the actual armour colour tonight. :tu:

Edited by Biohazard

Wow - great work so far guys, I am liking where these projects are going!

Great thread, give me MOAR :D

EDIT: surely if the deadline can be until the end of the year, and it’s only January, wmeven the perennially slug-slow me could join in!

Edited by Midnightmare

Looking at yours (and back at Apologist’s true scale primaris based on) is making me hawt for it. I really shouldn’t, but I have such a backlog of painting that I can’t be building more for my Black Legion, but the itch to build is always there :D

Just a case of narrowing down the choice of Minotaur, Space Shark or Executioner!