War of the Spider

Glad that Sisters will start selling again because they can be included with Custodes, but it doesn't matter to me personally, as I have no interest in Custodes.

Null Maiden Vanguards are worse in 9th than they were in 8th; because Vanguard isn't a core detachment, you'll have to pay for it even if it's the only detachment in your army. So now, instead of getting nothing for taking it, you actually lose something for taking it.

I hope they print all of the assassin stuff because I never got the WD that contained their original rules, and I think it's only available digitally. I hate e-pub format.

They reprinted Ynnari in the PA, so maybe they'll copy paste the WD for SoS and Assassin. Hope so- doesn't look like we got much else. I like Bile, so I'm getting the book anyway. Hopefully some of the SoS strats are worth it- the ones they showed off were mediocre.

Disappointed, but I made a point of keeping expectations low.

I'm not too upset. I knew SoS were bever gonna become troops but I am bummed I can't run an all girls list. I wish they would have shown us the Talons rule rather than the stupid Null Maidens rule that we've already seen. Pretty dumb. Hopefully sister get some good strats. Excited about the commander traits though.

Now that i have watched the preview another time and read everything again, i think will not get SM chapter like subfaction rules for the Shield Hosts :sad.:

I am not native english speaker and in the twitch preview at 25:05 wade talk's about something with a WL trait and something about "adds to the attacks of the dread... reroll charge.." can anyone figure out waht he is saying? Thanks

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/647760405

Just thought of something; depending on the wording of Talons, SoS may grant access to Transports; our current WD dex does not. 

But if SoS have Talons keyword, they should be able to take Talons transports even if you field them as Null Maidens.

I like what I've seen so far. With my guys painted as Shadowkeepers though, I'm not entirely sure that the Lockwarden trait will be replacing Superior Creation in my army.

I might be the only one, but I am glad Sisters of Silence stayed in the Elites slot. Lore wise, it doesn't make sense for them to be available in abundance as troops. Although they are rebuilding on Luna, so who knows what will happen when the timeline next jumps forward.

Looking forward to seeing more of the Captain-Commander traits. I will definitely be trying out Lockwarden +Indomitable Constitution +Victor of the Blood Games on my Shield Captain at some point.

Just thought of something; depending on the wording of Talons, SoS may grant access to Transports; our current WD dex does not.

But if SoS have Talons keyword, they should be able to take Talons transports even if you field them as Null Maidens.

Sisters have access to Nullmaiden Rhinos.

Sisters have access to Nullmaiden Rhinos.

I think he meant in addition to, not that they didn't have a transport.

Personally I would like to see Sisters of Silence get Razorbacks and Landraiders, but I will admit it is very unlikely.

I think the prospect of different shield host traits, and new relics, have got me excited.

The 'Superior Firing Patterns' stratagem turns a unit of 6 Aquilon Terminators into a horrendous screen clearing force.
Going to Rapid Fire 4/8 Shots per model at 1CP? Great value there. Mathing it out, with a shield captain nearby.

You'll get roughly 46 hits after rerolling 1s
You'll get roughly 30 wounds against t4 models.
You'll get roughly 15 wounds against something like primaris, enough to delete a small squad, and maim a big one.

Follow that up with something to maybe improve charging distance to get in with STR 10 powerfists hitting on 2s? That unit is gonna be worth its weight in *Snicker* gold

(Edit)

Allarus will also like it, making their axes Rapid Fire 2, then using their sniping stratagem will ensure most infantry warlords are rendered into paste.

Edited by BaconCouch

I think the prospect of different shield host traits, and new relics, have got me excited.

The 'Superior Firing Patterns' stratagem turns a unit of 6 Aquilon Terminators into a horrendous screen clearing force.

Going to Rapid Fire 4/8 Shots per model at 1CP? Great value there. Mathing it out, with a shield captain nearby.

You'll get roughly 46 hits after rerolling 1s

You'll get roughly 30 wounds against t4 models.

You'll get roughly 15 wounds against something like primaris, enough to delete a small squad, and maim a big one.

Follow that up with something to maybe improve charging distance to get in with STR 10 powerfists hitting on 2s? That unit is gonna be worth its weight in *Snicker* gold

That sound nasty as heck

are thoe number from the combi bolter of the aquilon or another gun ?

From a facebook group:

Just got a glance in the PA book.

Infantry units can deny psychic powers on a 4+ (wardens on a 3+) for 1cp.

Half the damage on a dreadnought for one phase for 1cp

One additional warlord trait for a character which is not your warlord for 1cp

Wound rolls against one of your Infantry units always fail at rolls 1-3 for 2cp (similar to space Marines)

Add 1 to attacks, and reroll failed charge rolls for one dreadnought for 1cp!

Add 1 to wound rolls for one of your units which is attacking a unit with a higher toughness than itself for 2cp

Terminator units (not just allarus) ignore up to - 2 ap for 2cp

You can deny enemy rerolls against one of your units for 2cp

This isn't everything, just a pick of some (and in my opinion the best) stratagems.

He send me the pictures and it seems very legit. it is in germen though.

I will write a summary. Sadly no chapter like subfaction rules.

That's interesting. I just ordered my copy, can't wait to get my hands on it next week.

The wound stratagem is interesting. We already have a +1 to wound for Spears. I'd like a generic wound stratagem, but I was hoping for 1CP.

This is what i have translated so far. I will update this poste

War of the Spider - Adeptus Custodes and Sisters of Silence Rules

40k Discussion

Adeptus Custodes

Detachment rules

If your army is in battle forged and contains detachments of the Adeptus Custodes, you can choose from the armies on the following pages, which armies each of those detachments belongs to. If you do this, all Adeptus Custodes units of the respective detachment (with the exception of captain general trajann valoris) will receive the appropriate <Shield Host> faction key word.

Note that some relics are weapons or items of equipment that replace existing weapons or items of equipment of the character model. Where this is the case, in a game that uses point values, you still have to pay the point cost of the weapons or equipment you replaced. Record relics bearing your character models on your army list.

For example, if your army contains a detachment of adeptus custodes consisting of a shield captain, Captain General Trajann Valoris and three units of custodian guards, and you decide that that detachment belongs to the Shadowkeepers, then units (other than Captain General Trajann Valoris) contain the keyword.

A contingent of adeptus custodes belonging to one of the armed forces has access to the following rules.

Talons of the Emperor: Sisters of Silence can be included in an Adeptus Custodes detachment without losing your Sworn Guardians of Aegis of the Emperor abilities.

Shadowkeepers

WT: Lockwarden: When resolving an attack made by a character model against this warlord, subtract 1 from the hit roll. When resolving an attack made by this warlord against a character, subtract 1 from their save, including invulnerable.

Relic: Stasis Dungeon. At the beginning of the fight phase, choose an enemy character model unit within 3 inches of a model with this relic. Halve the attack value of models in that unit (rounded up) until the end of that phase, and reroll wound rolls of 1 from attacks from friendly Shadowkeeper models against that character model unit.

Strat: Responsibility is Heavy: 1CP Use this Stratagem in any phase in which a shadowkeeper unit of your army is chosen as the target of an attack. Subtract 1 from the strength value until the end of that phase if you attack that unit.

The Solar Watch

WL: Forward March: Add at the beginning of the movement phase add 1" on the movement value of friendly Solar Watch units who are within 6 inches of this warlord. Units inside of 6”, they may also shoot with rapid fire weapons as if they were assault weapons after they advanced.

Relic: The Quicksilver Claw: advance and charge, assault 4 guardian spear as per GW site.

Strat: The Approaching Eagle: 0CP. If you kill a character, the next stratagem the enemy uses costs 1cp more!

Emissaries Imperiatus

WL: Voice of the Imperator: If you are within 9 inches of this warlord, friendly Imperium units can use that warlord's moral value. Also add 3 inches to the range of the aura of this warlord, this has already been taken into account in the aura of this talent of the warlord.

Relic: Vexillum dominates: Emissary of the imperator vexilla: Reroll failed morale within 6” of this banner. If your unit is within 6 inches of a model with this relic, friendly models who count as 3 models when it comes to determining which player controls a mission objective.

Strat: The Emperors Hand: 1CP Use this stratagem in any phase when an Emissaries Imperiatus unit from your army is chosen to shoot or fight with. Until the end of that phase, when resolving an attack made by a model in that unit, ignore any negative hit roll, wound roll and AP characteristic modifier and any benefit to the saving throw as a result of cover for that attack.

Aquilon Shield

WL: Honest Companion. If you deal an attack against this warlord, halve the damage inflicted (rounded up).

Relic: Praesidius Only for a model with a stormshield. If you make an attack against a model with this relic, subtract 1 from the wound roll.

Strat: Shield of Honor: Use this Stratagem in any phase when an Empire character model unit of your army is chosen as the target for an attack of an enemy unit model. Choose an exhilarated Aquilon Shield Infantry or Aquilon Shield Dreadnought unit within 3 inches of that imperial character model unit. Until the end of that phase, you measure the distance to that imperial character model unit when you deal with attacks of a model of the enemy unit, but you deal with the attacks from models of the enemy loan unit against the unit you selected. If the selected unit is destroyed, all remaining attacks expire.

Dread Host

WL: All Seeing Devastator: If you deal an attack with a melee weapon of a model in a friendly Dread Host unit within 6 inches of this warlord, an unmodified hit of 6 will result in 1 additional hits.

Relic: Admonimortis: only for a model with castellated axe. This relic from terra replaces a castellan axe and has the following profile. Range 24” Rapid Fire 1, S4, Ap-1, D2, Melee, S+3, Ap-3, 3D.

Strat: The Golden Light of the Moiraides: use this Stratagem at the beginning of your attack phase. Choose for 1CP, a Dread Host unit of your army that was teleported to the battle this turn, or for 2 CP up to three such units. Until the end of that phase, you throw an additional d6 if you make a charge roll for one of those units and then discard one of the dice.

Captain Commander

Stratagem: 1CP once per game, pick a non-named shield captain and give them one of the following traits:

· Wound roll of 6 doubles damage (e.g. d3 > 2d3)

· +1 move characteristic and +1 to advance & charge

· 5+ CP refund max 1 per round

· Reroll wounds vs monsters and vehicles

· +2 wounds characteristic

· +2A against units with >6 models

· d3+3 when pile in and consolidate

· +1A for every wound lost to a max of 3

· +3” auras

Stratagems

· 1CP Choose a character and generate WL trait for them.

· 1CP Choose a dreadnought +1A and reroll charges.

· 1CP Half damage for dreadnought

· 1CP 5+ ignore mortals on vehicle same as knights strat

· 2CP When vehicle with machine spirit dies it can either attack or auto explode

· 2CP Wound rolls of 1-3 against infantry unit will always fail.

· 2CP +1 to wound in fight phase when fighting unit with higher toughness

· 1CP On an opponent’s successful cast targeting a unit, a roll of 4+ negates the power, add one if the target is a warden unit

· 1CP/2CP In shooting 6s auto hit and wound, cost 2cp for units >6 models

· 1CP When a unit wounds with a d6 weapons roll 2d6 choose highest.

· 1CP If an infantry unit didn’t advance, double rapid fire and pistol shots

· 2CP When a unit of terminators are targeted, AP 1 & 2 are treated as 0.

· 2CP No rerolls against a chosen unit for a phase

· 1CP At the end of the charge phase pick a unit that can heroically intervene as if it were a character

Sisters of Silence

Stratagems:

· Negate a psychic power on 3+ (from preview)

· After a custodes unit as shot or fought select a SoS-infantry unit in 6" they can reroll hit rolls for 1cp

· One prosecutor unit can change their bolter profil to be 18" range and assault 3 for 1cp

· When a unit within 18" of a SoS-infantry unit suffers a perils of the warp it suffers d3 additional mortal wounds for 1cp

· -1 to hit for an enemy unit within 6" to a SoS-infantry unit for 1cp

· Plus 1 to wound for a phase for a vigilator unit in melee for 1 cp

· Witchseeker flamer do min 4 hits for 1/2 cp (from the preview)

· When you hit a psyker or a demon with a psyk-out grenade they can overwatch and the SoS unit can reroll 1's to hit for 1cp

SoS are still elites

greatsblades are +2S instead of +1

Edited by nordsturmking

At least the Sister stratagems seem interesting, feels like the only thing we are getting going by page count, the rest is all reprinted WD stuff :( 

Ah well, as ive said elsewhere im mostly hoping they are half arsing SoS because something good is in the pipeline rather than because they dgaf, the faction is punching above its weight in fiction and art but every time it comes to rules its... Meh.

So...

Captain commander is an absolute take. If only because it nets .33 odds of recovery of a cp every turn. So it comes out ahead just about after 4 turns.

The consolidated range in any direction is clutch. It means you can engage an opponent and move at least 4 inches post killing them.

The dreadnought strats are great. Hoping they fix achillus asap so he can put his blender skills to work with a proper str stat.

Those strat seem rediculously good for FW custodes units. Venatari and aquillon will be great with Superior fire patterns, and all of those dreadnought strats, mmmmm. I think I need to order some venatari and an achillius as soon as FW start producing again.

Thanks so much for the details on SoS; it certainly isn't everything I wanted, but I'll take it.

I too hope SoS become capable of standing on their own sometime this edition. I'm curious about the Forgeworld books- I think all the FW SoS models are 30k; if they get 9th ed rules, that would be enough- we'd have our actual real HQ who can function without a man and the creepiest transport in the game. With 40k rules for them, I would actually break down and buy them. It would be my first FW purchase.

Maybe its me but i see so many stratagem, its ridiculous, we already have a :cusstons of good stratagem to use, now even more, its not because we can have 12 cp now than we need to burn them in 2 turn because without them, they didn't increase custodes stats so much...

I am wrong with that ?