War of the Spider

One interesting plus for Sag Guard - Since modifiers are capped out at -1 in 9th. They could advance, and fire both profiles on their Calivers, and still be hitting on 3s.

Well, to answer that, we need to know :

- All the rules of 9th

- The point cost of units and weapons

From what i know of Custodes, Saggitarum get played a lot because they where the answer of two problem for custodes : range firepower and the need to take a bataillon.

Since it will not be mandatory to take a bataillon anymore, and since the game gonna look more objective focused, we should ask us those questions : do the firepower of saggitarum is better than the resistance you have with 3 shields dudes, and are other units better at shooting than saggitarum ? The venatari look hella strong now with the stratagem and aquilon deliver a lot of shooting too.

As a still beginner, i would say im gona take one or two shield slot and im tempted to field SoS as objective holder too.

But everything can change once we saw the point increase, so far we can theorycraft a lot of things but if those things become too expensive, we gonna have to work around that.

ps : i should have pick space wolves instead, they got the same bikes than us ><

Well, to answer that, we need to know :

- All the rules of 9th

- The point cost of units and weapons

From what i know of Custodes, Saggitarum get played a lot because they where the answer of two problem for custodes : range firepower and the need to take a bataillon.

Since it will not be mandatory to take a bataillon anymore, and since the game gonna look more objective focused, we should ask us those questions : do the firepower of saggitarum is better than the resistance you have with 3 shields dudes, and are other units better at shooting than saggitarum ? The venatari look hella strong now with the stratagem and aquilon deliver a lot of shooting too.

As a still beginner, i would say im gona take one or two shield slot and im tempted to field SoS as objective holder too.

But everything can change once we saw the point increase, so far we can theorycraft a lot of things but if those things become too expensive, we gonna have to work around that.

ps : i should have pick space wolves instead, they got the same bikes than us ><

Now that they don't break the +1 invuln save effect anymore, and I've had 1 melee + 2 ranged min squad of SoS for a while, I'm putting them in lists as back/mid objective nabbers so all the golden lads can get their value and danger in. The two ranged squads that is.

Against nids or eldar, they'd be pretty fun too, being able to rain bolters down on squishy warlocks or such regardless or screening.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Ah, good. I was just discussing this in the 9th ed topic (which is probably the best spot for it.)

I'm glad you're finding good use for them. I'm considering going up to a second squad.

I personally am dropping a Battalion for a Vanguard detachment to do so. But I know I'm in the minority in not playing a Battalion going forward. I'm not sure there's a lot in War of the Spider to make a Battalion a 'go to' choice? Is there something in War of the spider you guys are finding super rewarding with massed Guardians/Battalion armies?