War of the Spider

Solar Watch for me with a Callidus to mess up CP.

Solar watch are going to be invaluable for footslogging or bike heavy lists. That +1 to move coupled with being able to advance and shoot will really shine with either of those. And throw it on a captain commander for that 9" bubble, giving you more flexibility.

I only wish that the advance and shoot for Sally Forth wasn't restricted to rapid fire weapons. If it allowed heavy weapons, we'd finally see people start to consider the salvo launcher on the bikes when coupled with Archeotech munitions.

Dread Host will be my go-to for most games unless I'm either running bike spam or doing a long-range firebase.

Finally getting a relic axe is a godsend, and it's AMAZING too. A bit too good imo. Makes Trajann's axe look wimpy.

Super tempted to run that axe with a super captain with the double damage on 6s to wound.

Flat 6 damage is hrngggg.

I don't see -not- using Trajann so many of the WL stuff just really won't see use for me. But the Dreadnoughts... wow. I've been a Telemon junky for a while and finally they will see a bit more playtime with me for sure. A bit too pricey perhaps for competitive play but I might be able to make mine a bit more terrifying now.

Shooting or melee ones ? Bevause i agree he is a fantastic looking model :tongue.:

Did GW make any leak about what would look a detachment in 9th ? So far i have seen bataillon, any idea for the others ?

I have the arms magnetized, so I play them in a multitude of builds. Even the dreaded one shooty, one fisty build... just because it's basically our mini-Knight.

As far as detachments... for Custodes I foresee taking the 9th ed version of a Patrol. Get full CP, build your lists  with freedom, and profit. I'd love to play one large squad of Guardians for the Strat buffs. 

But that's a 9th edition coversation. 

I guess that relic axe looks amazing in gameplay but I can't stop using Trajann... I guess I'll probably regret that. lol

Now that i have thought about it a bit more, i think the stuff from War of the Spider really helps fix a few weaknesses And with the new deny strat for psychic powers i don't think we have much use for SoS. you can take the WL trait for deny and now we have 1 meh strat and the new really good deny start. all in all it is too little too late. I really hope Custodes get buffed with 9th. The mech list was one of the two the best Custodes lists before the book and i think it is still the best. Yeah 30 guardians with shield are good too but hiding for 6 turns not a great concept... footslogging is definitely better now but i don't thing it will be enough.

The Solar Watch stuff seems pretty good to me. Maybe that will change with play, but I like all of it.

I think the SoS are underwhelming though. I really hoped for some interesting Talons stuff. I have 15-20 sisters on the sprue here and having read the spoilers I'm still not sure what to do with them. Assassins seem like a much better investment tbh.

So let's talk salvo launcher bikes. With the Advent of 9th, they will no longer be affected by the -1 to hit from moving and shooting their melta missiles. In addition, they're one of 2 units in the codex that can use the Archeotech Munitions stratagem.

So, are they worth using now? BS 2+ rerolling 1s, rerolling wounds against vehicles and rolling 2 pick the highest damage is pretty tasty.

So let's talk salvo launcher bikes. With the Advent of 9th, they will no longer be affected by the -1 to hit from moving and shooting their melta missiles. In addition, they're one of 2 units in the codex that can use the Archeotech Munitions stratagem.

So, are they worth using now? BS 2+ rerolling 1s, rerolling wounds against vehicles and rolling 2 pick the highest damage is pretty tasty.

I think the Hurricane bolter is too good as a chaff clearer to be replaced by the Salvo Launcher. It's still only one shot, even with the buffs.

Lost count of how many times my bikes have just deleted units of cheap infantry paving the way to juicier targets for assault. Forge World is definitely our go to for any heavy weapons, it's pricey, but they simply out class all our options in the codex for long range fire power.

I think the Hurricane bolter is too good as a chaff clearer to be replaced by the Salvo Launcher. It's still only one shot, even with the buffs.

Lost count of how many times my bikes have just deleted units of cheap infantry paving the way to juicier targets for assault. Forge World is definitely our go to for any heavy weapons, it's pricey, but they simply out class all our options in the codex for long range fire power.

I feel like FW out class every unit in the codex sometime... I mean, with the new stratagem, venatari are gonna be monster and aquilon terminator are gonna be even more deadlier..

That kinda annoying for me because i freacking love allarus and axe but i don't see how to field allarus AND aquillon AND others unit without a point cost skyrocketing faster than spaceX

I think Salvo Launchers can be good on Shield Captains to work as a tank hunter. Pair it with the Emperor's Companion WLT for rerolling damage and I think he'll do a good job sniping at vehicles while patrolling midfield and supporting your terminator/dreadnought bomb on your opponent's backline.

I think Salvo Launchers can be good on Shield Captains to work as a tank hunter. Pair it with the Emperor's Companion WLT for rerolling damage and I think he'll do a good job sniping at vehicles while patrolling midfield and supporting your terminator/dreadnought bomb on your opponent's backline.

I don't think it would be wise to keep ya close combat beast in the midfield, I think he really needs to be in people's faces. I think you'd struggle with the one shot to do any meaningful damage to vehicles. Even if you do the max 6 damage it will be difficult to one shot anything but the lightest of vehicles. That said he might be able to scrape the last few wounds off something, and he is super manoeuvrable so your opponent might think their vehicle is safe. 14" move is still really good and he could make a good sucker punch. However, for me the hurricane bolter will still be the staple.

It's annoying, because, as I said above, FW is our only real option and they are super expensive kits.

Salvo Launchers have their place. They do their job well and after point drops are absolutely viable. Whether you take them or Hurricane Bolters comes down to how the rest of your army is shaking out. 

Most of my realistic expectations for PA are met so I'm happy.

I'm thinking a big squad of bikes with salvo launchers could do some hurt. The chaff clearing potential of hurricane bolters can't be overlooked, true, but we have lots of other things that can accomplish that role, like double shooting Aquilons. 6 ap-4 d6 damage shots almost assured to all hit and almost all wound sounds really damn strong to me.

9th edition needs to hurry up and get here. I want to try all of this stuff but it's way too CP hungry for 8th.

Looking at the current leaks and providing they can all be used on vehicles. I think we might see a resurgence of the Telemon as our best anti-tank.

Smaller board size means it's Iliastus Accelerator Culverin's reduced range won't be much of an issue compared to the Caladius. It also has a 4++, and Stratagems to half damage and ignore mortal wounds on a 5+. Combined with the exploding 6's shooting stratagem to auto wound, it could be a serious damage dealer in the first couple of turns. The only downside is the obvious large CP cost, but none of our combos are going to be cheap.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Actually after checking the CP cost I think 3CP is a bargain for all that!

Edited by .Torch.

And since telemon melee is really scary too, could we "hope" in a list with a melee telemon and a fully shooting one ? That would sound glorious, even if we gonna have a hard time to field other units in the list x)

I literally bought a second telemon the minute FW opened this morning with every weapon option to customize loadout so I can bring two: one in their face and one ranged. So hyped.

Haha i can feel that

So far in FW, we "have" to buy :

Melee telemon

Venatari

Caladius

Aqulon termi

Gosh, my wallet, that hurt :(

Is the Achillus dread any good now with the news stratagem ? And, a totally out of the subject question, are the Custodes FW models easy to magnetize ? :p

I literally bought a second telemon the minute FW opened this morning with every weapon option to customize loadout so I can bring two: one in their face and one ranged. So hyped.

Haha i can feel that

Melee telemon

Venatari

Caladius

Aqulon termi

Gosh, my wallet, that hurt :(

Is the Achillus dread any good now with the news stratagem ? And, a totally out of the subject question, are the Custodes FW models easy to magnetize ? :p

Achillus is a discount telemon. Same invul and way points cheaper. Still has two flamers and a beastly spear that can actually deal mortals on the charge. He's probably going to be quite practical.

And yes most of the dreads have pre depressed recesses for magnets!

Haha i can feel that

Melee telemon

Venatari

Caladius

Aqulon termi

Gosh, my wallet, that hurt :sad.:

Is the Achillus dread any good now with the news stratagem ? And, a totally out of the subject question, are the Custodes FW models easy to magnetize ? :tongue.:

All the dreads got buffed and the Achillus was already good. And now he is even better. Yes FW Custodes are very easy to magnetize.

Haha i can feel that

Melee telemon

Venatari

Caladius

Aqulon termi

Gosh, my wallet, that hurt :sad.:

Is the Achillus dread any good now with the news stratagem ? And, a totally out of the subject question, are the Custodes FW models easy to magnetize ? :tongue.:

Achillus is a discount telemon. Same invul and way points cheaper. Still has two flamers and a beastly spear that can actually deal mortals on the charge. He's probably going to be quite practical.

The Achillus has a 5+ inv and the telemon has a 4+. Maybe you where thinking about the Galatus which has a 4+ inv. Edited by nordsturmking

Flamers ? I thought they where bolter ><

Most of the dread ? As long telemon is inclued, that could save me a lot of money :p

So far, you would say for the telemon dual fist or a fist and a storm canon ?

Since we already know a lot about war of the spider, what the next step ? Point increase with the V9, nothing else ?

I think with the new stratagem for auto wounding 6's the Iliastus Accelerator Culverin will be the go to weapon on the Telemon as it's the most consistent.

However, a Dread Host detachment will have a serious argument for running dual fists and deep striking though.

Too bad, the storm cannon looks so much better than the Illiastus imo. Already got a squad of Venatari as well as the Achillus, so i don't feel the need to buy a Telemon right now. I'm still not sure if to get a Pallas, the little Custodes speeder has grown on me a bit, but need to check current rules, War of the Spider and oncoming 9th ed for that. 

Too bad, the storm cannon looks so much better than the Illiastus imo. Already got a squad of Venatari as well as the Achillus, so i don't feel the need to buy a Telemon right now. I'm still not sure if to get a Pallas, the little Custodes speeder has grown on me a bit, but need to check current rules, War of the Spider and oncoming 9th ed for that.

I don't think the Storm Cannon will be completely redundant. It just won't work as well with the auto wound on 6's strat as it has less shots. A twin Storm Cannon dread can still take advantage of the damage reducing stratagems.

I think with the new stratagem for auto wounding 6's the Iliastus Accelerator Culverin will be the go to weapon on the Telemon as it's the most consistent.

However, a Dread Host detachment will have a serious argument for running dual fists and deep striking though.

I disagree the strat wont make the Iliastus Accelerator Culverin better than the storm cannon.

If you shoot a storm cannon at a target with T8 and a 3+ armor save you can expect to do 3.75 dmg on average. with the accelerator can expect 1.85 dmg

If yor target is T6 and has a 4+ armor save it is 4.4 dmg for both

If it is T7 and 4+ it is 4.44 for the storm cannon and 3.33 for the Accelerator

The Accelerator has 12" more range but only one profil.

So even with the strat the storm cannon is still better.

Edited by nordsturmking